What's the worst you've heard?

Options

Replies

• DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Nook-you-ler instead of nuclear... :explode:

How often in someones life could this ever come up?

I can't honestly remember if I've used that word in a conversation, ever.
  • MrsFarrow
    MrsFarrow Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    My mother is hardcore PA Dutch, so I used to get to "red up" aka clean my room. We would "outen" the lights, or turn them off. That never irritated me, but it irritates my dad beyond belief!

My irritations are people in this area. Specifically, phrases like "I'm gon' do this."

You're gon' do what? Gonna? Or perhaps GOING TO?

VOKESwagon. No, VOLKSwagon. Cowwege. No, coLLege. Dowwars. No, dollars. Also, people who use the word "utilize", because there's no reason for it at all, and "ignorant" when rude should be used. We get a lot of that. "That's so ignorant!" No, no that's rude. It seems like it's a very local thing. It's weird.
  • MrsFarrow
    MrsFarrow Posts: 326 Member
    Options

YES.

My husband says this all the time and I correct him every. Single. GD. Time.

NEW

CLEE

AR.
  • xSophia19
    xSophia19 Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    I always say 'worser' and ive not long realised its not actually a word in the dictionairy! Ive been saying that word all through high school and college, and no one corrected me or told me that its not a real word!
  • ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    The Ar-Kansas river...It's pronounced Are-kan-saw...not are-kan-zis...

I have to defend that, its a regional difference. The people in Colorado and Kansas where the Arkansas river is, named it Ar-Kansas, so that's what is it. The state is Arkansaw, The River is ArKansaS.

Same thing with towns in Kansas:

El DorAYdo is in Kansas- Eldorahdo is the legenday golden city in South America. (El Dorado)
    Sal-Eye-na is in Kansas- Sal-EE-na is the late Tejano singer. (Salina)

They do that just to be difficult.
  • ivyjbres
    Options

YES.

My husband says this all the time and I correct him every. Single. GD. Time.

NEW

CLEE

AR.

I was told by a science professor that the scientific community accepts the mispronunciation because it make it easier to differentiate between nuclear (nook-u-lar) as in pertaining to the nucleus of a cell, and nuclear (nook-lee-ar) as in, the bombs. However the contraction nuc'lar (nuke-lar) is not.
  • clw_888
    clw_888 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Irregardless is one of mine. Here is a short story from a friend who works in a game store. Mom and child are in game store looking at different items. Child says to mom "Mom, look at these 2 dices! They are so pretty!" Mom says to child "Honey, it's not called dices, its called a pair of dice!" Hmmmm...where I grew up it was always called a pair of die. :)
  • Adrenaline_Queen
    Adrenaline_Queen Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    "Your getting banged tomorrow" One of my children came home from school with this one... I said pardon? You are getting banged?? Explain please ..................... It means hit. xx
  • ivyjbres
    Options
    Irregardless is one of mine. Here is a short story from a friend who works in a game store. Mom and child are in game store looking at different items. Child says to mom "Mom, look at these 2 dices! They are so pretty!" Mom says to child "Honey, it's not called dices, its called a pair of dice!" Hmmmm...where I grew up it was always called a pair of die. :)

Either is acceptable I think, but pair of dice is preferred.

Die is singular, dice is plural. So you can have a pair of die or a pair of dice; technically, the difference would be that the first version would connotate 2 dice used in the same game for different purposes, whereas the second pronunciation would indicate two dice used always together and for the same purposes.
  • fin-uh for fixing to
  • clw_888
    clw_888 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Drives me nuts when someone is trying to say they do not care about something and they say "I could care less". What should be said is "I could not care less" the first way implies that you do in fact care somewhat because you could care less.

I know, it's a weird one.

I am usually pretty good with words and spelling but didn't realize this one! thanks for pointing it out.
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    what grinds my ears is when people say "me & so-n-so", instead of so-n-so & I!!! ARGH! i want to pull my hair out on that one!

Both are correct, depending on the situation: http://www.elearnenglishlanguage.com/difficulties/ime.html

Basically, if you cut the other person out, use what's grammatically correct in that situation.

For example:
    My friend and I were going to the game. You would use "My friend and I" because if you took your friend away, it would be "I was going to the game"
    Johnny was going with Billy and I to the game. "Johnny was going with I to the game"?! No, it should be Johnny was going with me and Billy to the game, because if you take out Billy, you have "Johnny was going with me to the game"

At least that is how I was taught. Make sense?
  • alias1001
    alias1001 Posts: 634 Member
    Options

Can you give me the "pacific" (specific) place you found this?

I have a hard time articulating the different between these two. I think my brain is wired wrong.
  • skinnymoomoo
    skinnymoomoo Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    brought instead of bought .... that really boils my pee!
  • quigonnjae
    Options
    depends on what part of the country your from its either "winder" or "windah" as in "i looked out my windah / winder and seen this car"

how about I downloaded this from the "internets" (as if it was a collection of "internetlets" LOL)
  • ivyjbres
    Options
    depends on what part of the country your from its either "winder" or "windah" as in "i looked out my windah / winder and seen this car"

how about I downloaded this from the "internets" (as if it was a collection of "internetlets" LOL)

Actually, that is technically correct, but they don't know that ;)
  • jenscot25
    jenscot25 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    For some reason "ya'll" drives me bonkers. :noway:
  • ivyjbres
    Options

That's because its y'all !!
  • jenscot25
    jenscot25 Posts: 124 Member
    Options

That's because its y'all !!

Sorry I don't use it so I don't know how to spell it!! Gotta go warsh my winders now....
  • Tori_356
    Tori_356 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    "artistic" instead of "autistic"