VERTICAL CHALLENGERS! Home to all shorties out there. (OPEN)

Options

Replies

• Saffyra
    Saffyra Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I'll come visit you in New Zealand (I want to go there, too!! That's where I was conceived!)

My husband just got a new job and they have a Wellness program that includes paying 50% of a treadmill purchase! I might have to avail myself of that deal!
  • SugarDiva
    SugarDiva Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Well, I just added myself to the list yesterday so I've got some major catching up to do I guess. :laugh:
  • MrsBlobs
    MrsBlobs Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    JUST ECHOING LALOQUITA HERE
    **PLEASE PUT YOUR WEEKS WEIGHT/WATER/EXERCISE MINUTES ON THE ROSTA**

Cheers ladies x
  • kymmixxx
    kymmixxx Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    bumping
  • L2M1D52
    L2M1D52 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I wonder if people got lost trying to find this place :frown:
  • MrsBlobs
    Options
    Nah, this threads full of shorties! They just can't see it :laugh:
  • MoonMyst3
    MoonMyst3 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Bump for later... just weighing in quickly. :smile:
  • MrsBlobs
    Options
    As an aside - I'm joining the gym! Yes, you heard correctly - I am joining the gym. The girl who, for the past decade was allergic, is taking the plunge - £33 a month and swimming and all classes included. I'm going to give it a 3 month trial to see if I'm motivated enough to make it work out money wise (as opposed to pay as you go).

Looked round today and it was really quiet and lots of machines so hopefully there won't be any waiting or feeling bad because you're on something someone else clearly wants to be on. Anyway, it's getting friggin' cold here now and that, coupled with the motivation of investing in myself, I'm hoping will help me get off the plateau I'm currently on.

Looked at those eliptical thingies everyone is on about and thought 'Yeah, right!'. I'm not certain, but I don't think they'll be for me. I'm just too short. I don't think I could do the foot stuff while still hanging on the the hand/arm things. We'll see.....
  • L2M1D52
    Options
    As an aside - I'm joining the gym! Yes, you heard correctly - I am joining the gym. The girl who, for the past decade was allergic, is taking the plunge - £33 a month and swimming and all classes included. I'm going to give it a 3 month trial to see if I'm motivated enough to make it work out money wise (as opposed to pay as you go).

Looked round today and it was really quiet and lots of machines so hopefully there won't be any waiting or feeling bad because you're on something someone else clearly wants to be on. Anyway, it's getting friggin' cold here now and that, coupled with the motivation of investing in myself, I'm hoping will help me get off the plateau I'm currently on.

Looked at those eliptical thingies everyone is on about and thought 'Yeah, right!'. I'm not certain, but I don't think they'll be for me. I'm just too short. I don't think I could do the foot stuff while still hanging on the the hand/arm things. We'll see.....

Congratulations!!!!!!!!! I've never actually used an ellipitical besides being a goof and getting on them at the store. Is there a way to adjust the size? There has to be.
  • L2M1D52
    Options
    Nah, this threads full of shorties! They just can't see it :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • L2M1D52
    Options
    I thought I'd throw out some inspiring quotes and also a poem I always loved by Robert Frost. I remember having to memorize this poem in middle school and I've loved it since then. It's something you can think of with the journey you are taking here. I love quotes and have them on my page and signature. Here is two others.

Those who do not find time for exercise will have to find time for illness. – Earl of Derby
    The only disability in life is a bad attitude. – Scott Hamilton

The Road Not Taken
    Robert Frost

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
    And sorry I could not travel both
    And be one traveller, long I stood
    And looked down one as far as I could
    To where it bent in the undergrowth.

Then took the other, as just as fair,
    And having perhaps the better claim,
    Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
    Though as for that the passing there
    Had worn them really about the same.

And both that morning equally lay
    In leaves no step had trodden black.
    Oh, I kept the first for another day!
    Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
    I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
    Somewhere ages and ages hence:
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
    I took the one less travelled by,
    And that has made all the difference.
  • Saffyra
    Options
    I promise you that you can do the elliptical! I am short and I can do it :) I *do* have to hold lower down on the handles than the average joe but thats okay because there's probably less germs on the part I'm holding.

That being said, it does take a bit of getting used to...

I like to go to the gym in the mornings around 9am because thats when its mostly women. And then also at 2pm. For some reason hardly anyone is there at that time.

MrsBlobs- Good for you on joining a gym :) I hope it does motivate you to get in there and do it! I admit when I first started at a gym I was terrified. I didnt want anyone to see me in my gym clothes or compare how fat I was with their skinny selves. And I didnt want to be near any men either. But now I don't care. And I *never* thought I would get to that point. My gym has a pool too but I've never used it. I dont want to do a water class by myself! I dont like taking classes without a friend but I think I will have to start doing it soon.

Happy losing, ladies!!
  • stefnicole
    Options

I've got to say - I LOVE my elliptical! Good luck!
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    the ellipticals are great! don't worry about being short. like with most things, you just have to get used to it. you can change the heights of the leg thingies, but i wouldn't bother. just hop on and crack on!!

i think it's great, mrs blobs, that you're dipping your toe into the gym waters 1st- and 3 months is a really good trial period. and gyms are really quite motivating. you can watch tv at the same time as cycling! and you'll always be just the right temp, regardless of the weather outside. good stuff.

i picked up a 2nd hand treadmill today for $180 nzd. yay! apart from i asked my hubby to come with me to get it because it is heavy. i knew it was noisy before i bought it, but it's only going in the garage, so didn't think that would be an issue. anyway, we get home and my hubs decided that he was sure he could make it quieter. so, cut to 4 hours later- i'm at work and my other half is sat on the garage floor surrounded by 400 little pieces of treadmill trying to fit it back together. as i'm sure you can imagine, i'm thrilled!

i did a 10.5km run this morning, which i was really happy with. and i've got 2 more days of 30DS to finish before i start that all over again. is anyone else doing the 30ds here?

anyway, hope everyone is going well. oh, i weighed in today........
    i tried to update my weight on the roster, but i'm at work and it won't let me. i was 83.3kgs today.
  • MrsBlobs
    Options
    the ellipticals are great! don't worry about being short. like with most things, you just have to get used to it. you can change the heights of the leg thingies, but i wouldn't bother. just hop on and crack on!!

i think it's great, mrs blobs, that you're dipping your toe into the gym waters 1st- and 3 months is a really good trial period. and gyms are really quite motivating. you can watch tv at the same time as cycling! and you'll always be just the right temp, regardless of the weather outside. good stuff.

i picked up a 2nd hand treadmill today for $180 nzd. yay! apart from i asked my hubby to come with me to get it because it is heavy. i knew it was noisy before i bought it, but it's only going in the garage, so didn't think that would be an issue. anyway, we get home and my hubs decided that he was sure he could make it quieter. so, cut to 4 hours later- i'm at work and my other half is sat on the garage floor surrounded by 400 little pieces of treadmill trying to fit it back together. as i'm sure you can imagine, i'm thrilled!

i did a 10.5km run this morning, which i was really happy with. and i've got 2 more days of 30DS to finish before i start that all over again. is anyone else doing the 30ds here?

i tried to update my weight on the roster, but i'm at work and it won't let me. i was 83.3kgs today.

That would REALLY annoy me!!!!! My husband knows better than to touch ANYTHING. I'm the mechanic in this house, always have been. My husband goes at everything like a bull in a china shop, gets peed off, starts making mistakes and then forgets how everything went in the first place. He's banned from doing anything like that.

I looked at the rosta and it seems you've entered your previous weight in pounds. I was going to do it for you but I didn't want to round up or down or put it in inaccurately. You were 184lbs - my converter says you are now 183.6....? I'll let you do that when you get home :smile:
  • Ittee
    Ittee Posts: 285
    Options
    bonjour: I like that : "i'm so short, even though i cover the same distances as others, i actually have to run further because my legs have to go twice as far". I feel the same way even just walking next to someone like my husband. Surely I burn more calories as well, just in trying to cover the same distance? Oh no on the treadmill being in pieces, but a clever way to purchase one!
    New Zealand always looks so beautiful from pictures.

Mrs. Blobs: congrats on the gym!!
  • Saffyra
    Options
    I have to jog every once in awhile to keep up with my husband while we are walking. He thinks its hilarious (he is 6'1").

Have you all made goals for yourselves? To lose a certain amount by a certain time?

When I was on Nutrisystem I made myself one goal. My goal weight. And I never reached it and there was never anything else to celebrate about.

So this time I made myself small goals. Like losing 2lbs before I had to go back to the doctor (lost 4lbs) and then I made myself goals in 5lb increments by certain dates.
    So far I have beat all my goals. So I made them a little harder. I made them so I have to lose 1lb a week to meet them. Right now I'm concentrating on getting to 135 by November 7th.

Two weeks for me to lose 2.4lbs!! I'm wondering how I'm gonna feel if i miss my goal date. I think maybe I should make them a little easier and then be extra happy when I meet them early :P

What's your strategy to keep yourself motivated?
  • L2M1D52
    Options
    I have to jog every once in awhile to keep up with my husband while we are walking. He thinks its hilarious (he is 6'1").

Have you all made goals for yourselves? To lose a certain amount by a certain time?

When I was on Nutrisystem I made myself one goal. My goal weight. And I never reached it and there was never anything else to celebrate about.

So this time I made myself small goals. Like losing 2lbs before I had to go back to the doctor (lost 4lbs) and then I made myself goals in 5lb increments by certain dates.
    So far I have beat all my goals. So I made them a little harder. I made them so I have to lose 1lb a week to meet them. Right now I'm concentrating on getting to 135 by November 7th.

Two weeks for me to lose 2.4lbs!! I'm wondering how I'm gonna feel if i miss my goal date. I think maybe I should make them a little easier and then be extra happy when I meet them early :P

What's your strategy to keep yourself motivated?

I've made mini goals. My first week I lost 6 lbs so I set my first goal to be 10lbs then from there I made it 5lbs for each mini goal. I didn't set a date because this is my first time trying to lose weight so I didn't want to set myself up for disappointment. I had no idea how slow or fast my body would drop the weight. I can tell my endurance is better and I'm able to lift things with more ease now. To keep myself motivated I think about how great I feel now. I was extremely stressed and always tired and felt crappy before (had a lot going on) and I always think about how great I'll feel even later down the road. I also have my wedding to motivate me, which was the reason I stepped up my game to drop the weight.
  • jilleebean777
    jilleebean777 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!! Haven't been on long enought to post lately. But I am here. Had a bumpy day yesterday, but climbed back on today, and it's back to full steam ahead!!

I too love the elliptical. I do the treadmill too sometimes, .25 miles walking the next .25 jogging. To shake my cardio up a little.

I hope you all are having great weekends out there!!
  • L2M1D52
    Options

Congrats on the run!!!