C25K 10-10-11/12-11-11

Options

Replies

• shakemybooty
    shakemybooty Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Lisa-I don't think anything is out of the question at this point. You might have to go a little slower than you have been but I bet you CAN do a 20 minute run. Look at Troy! He turned into the road runner in only 4 short weeks!! :bigsmile:

W5W2 today. I've been off schedule since Thursday myself because everyone in my family has decided to be ill at the same time. I really had to push myself to stay alive at the end there but part of that is probably the cold remnants I'm still fighting off. I'm not road runner material yet but some day I will be!
  • Troy67
    Troy67 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Lisa-I don't think anything is out of the question at this point. You might have to go a little slower than you have been but I bet you CAN do a 20 minute run. Look at Troy! He turned into the road runner in only 4 short weeks!! :bigsmile:

W5W2 today. I've been off schedule since Thursday myself because everyone in my family has decided to be ill at the same time. I really had to push myself to stay alive at the end there but part of that is probably the cold remnants I'm still fighting off. I'm not road runner material yet but some day I will be!

beep-beep. lol Have any bird-seed?
    Thanks for the encouragement. Hope everyone in your family gets better soon. I always feel bad for the nurses I work with. They work their butts off at the hospital and then have to go home and take care of their husbands and kids. They are troopers. Get better soon and have a great day!!

Troy
  • Troy67
    Options
    Ran the 5k in 30:12 today. No headwinds in my room on the treadmill so will count it. lol Want to get into as great as shape as possible for when I start trying it outside in the future. I know the times will worsen for a while due to terrain, wind, conditions, etc. But looking forward to being a runner.
    Everyone keep up the good work. Without c25k and the great people on this thread I would have given up loooooong ago. Have a wonderful week everyone!

Troy
  • jennysmission
    jennysmission Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Yall are doing so great! So proud of you all!!

I'm still fighting chest cold but in our bootcamp class we did A LOT of cardio and it was mostly running sprints on the treadmill today and I ran my sprints at a 6.0 and 6.5 not to bad for a chest cold and still no running shoes...

I havent been doing the program really I to have sick kiddos and myself my baby has a ear infection and the croup along with this dang cough!!

I'm hoping to get some running shoes this weekend and will probley be doing my first 5k MOnday probley going to have to walk a lot of it but thats a okay with me!
  • 1960lisa
    1960lisa Posts: 193
    Options
    Wednesday morning - W5D2 - DONE!!!

Running 2 lots of 8 minutes each is the longest I've run in one go for over 30 years!! I also did 3 extra runs at the end.... but didn't manage to increase my time.... I was walking a bit slower in between to recover..... also still running slowly.... but I feel fantastic! Came home and had a swim, the sun is shining and the scale is the lowest its been for several months .....will probably fluctuate back up later today but I don't care.... at this very moment I am feeling very good and very motivated!

Troy - 5k in 30 minutes... you are a legend.... you may think you need this thread to motivate you but I can assure you that you are motivating me:drinker:

Jenny - you are running so fast!! I can't do that YET.... hopefully one day.

Shakemybooty - enjoying keeping up with you so far.... still worried about that 20 mins in 2 days though:noway:

I'm going to have tomorrow off again to let my body recover properly.... I might go for a long walk though.... so look forward to checking in on friday.

:heart: Lisa
  • Troy67
    Options
    Great job Lisa. Sounds like you are getting it done. Way to go!!! Have a good off day, you deserve it.
  • shakemybooty
    Options
    W5W3 aka the dreaded 20 minute run--DONE!!

Lisa-You were my motivation today. I'm still not 100% healthy and I was definitely counting down the minutes. I wanted to curl up in a ball, gasp for air, and chug a gallon of water...but I kept going! I told myself I can't give Lisa all these happy little pep talks and then curl up like a worm and die when it's time to do the work! So really guilt and shame were good motivators for me. LOL
  • LauraHasABabyJack
    LauraHasABabyJack Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Calibri- I'm such a softie for animals too. I have a houseful because of it and have had to stop because we just don't have room. There's a rabbit living in my kitchen that was abandoned by the road at the end of our driveway and in bad shape right after Easter that I'm still trying to find a good home for! So nice of you to pick up that poor cat.

Troy- you're doing awesome as always! And I'm pretty sure roadrunners eat insects and snakes- lots of protein for all that running lol! Are you counting warm up and cool down times separately from your 5k times?

Lisa- you are rockin' my socks off! I'm still trying to push to get to W5W2. Way to go!

Hope you all who are sick get to feeling better soon. I'm impressed you're still running.

Monday's run was great for me- I did 3/4 mile in 7:30. Longest and furthest I've gone. I ran three minutes less than the last run but overall my time was a minute shorter so I guess I must have been running like the wind, hahahahaha. This morning's wasn't as good- I had to stop at my car 3x to get the dome light out. I also got a new stopwatch to keep track of time and was having some trouble with it. I swear I'm not an idiot.

Anyone have any tips for shin splints? And what do you do to get rid of a side cramp? I'm not breathing hard but my side stitches up so bad I have to stop and walk.
  • calibri
    calibri Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    @Laura: Thanks. :smile: I try to make sure I stretch out my chest and I'm not leaning one direction or another. Usually cramps are because the diaphragm is cramping due to shallow breathing or leaning. I changed my breathing routine and kept my back straighter to help mine.

Finished W4D2 part 2 yesterday. Very easy, I wonder if I really needed to repeat this week after all. :tongue:
  • Troy67
    Options
    Laura, the last week I just do all of my stretching first and don't even do a warm-up. Don't do a cool down either. lol Seems to be working!!
  • shakemybooty
    Options
    W6W1-done! Feeling much better today but still a little off.

Not a lot of movement on this thread. Did you guys forget to stop running? :bigsmile:
  • Troy67
    Options
    I am still here. LOL I took yesterday off. 2 or 3 days in a row is too much for my "old" body.

Did the 5K in 27:54 today. I am just stretching really thoroughly before and after the run. No warm-up walk or cool-off. Works for me but everyone else keep doing their own thing. Just trying to beat my own times. Jog/run at least 6mph at a minimum then throwing in sprints of 7, 7.5 and 8 at various intervals to keep it interesting. Thanks for all the motivation and everyone keep kicking butt in their own runs!!!!

Troy
  • jennysmission
    Options
    wow you guys r really rocking it!!

I haven gotten back into normal running schedule ..i still have chest cold and my baby has croup and ear infection ...i did run sprints tue and ran sprints today did 7.0 sprints today wahoo!!
  • shakemybooty
    Options
    I am still here. LOL I took yesterday off. 2 or 3 days in a row is too much for my "old" body.

Did the 5K in 27:54 today. I am just stretching really thoroughly before and after the run. No warm-up walk or cool-off. Works for me but everyone else keep doing their own thing. Just trying to beat my own times. Jog/run at least 6mph at a minimum then throwing in sprints of 7, 7.5 and 8 at various intervals to keep it interesting. Thanks for all the motivation and everyone keep kicking butt in their own runs!!!!

Troy

Instead of thinking I'm slow and pokey, I picture you with really long giraffe legs. :blushing: Please don't ever tell me if you're like 4'10" tall. LOL

Jenny-Sick with a sick baby!! Big hugs to you! That is the worst! Hope you're both feeling better fast!
  • 1960lisa
    Options
    W6W1-done! Feeling much better today but still a little off.

Not a lot of movement on this thread. Did you guys forget to stop running? :bigsmile:

Haha.... yes you noticed!! I was supposed to run yesterday but I thought I'd do it in the evening.... well then I had a huge day around the house, cleaning, ding some painting, gardening..... of course then the evening came around and I was exhausted..... that's why I know I have to exercise in the morning! So now I haven't run for 3 days... not sure if that's a good thing because my body has had lots of time to recover.... or bad because its forgotten how to keep going.

So it nearly 7am here now and I'm just checking in before getting up and going to the gym to do my first dreaded 20 min run..... my two gym junkie sons tell me I have to "push though the 10 min mark and then you'll be fine .... yeah?! ....and also that I have to "just keep going till you feel like you're going to die" ... thanks very helpful aren't I doing this to feel good??

So I'll report back soon!:yawn:
  • shakemybooty
    Options

Troy

Instead of thinking I'm slow and pokey, I picture you with really long giraffe legs. :blushing: Please don't ever tell me if you're like 4'10" tall. LOL

Never mind that....you're a cheetah!
  • shakemybooty
    Options
    Good luck Lisa. It really is a mental battle....but sometimes my lungs want to join in and say "hello, air would be nice!"
  • jennysmission
    Options
    Lisa....I have read that a lot of places the dreaded 10 mins..once you make it past that they says its cake!! You got it can't wait to hear how it went!
  • calibri
    calibri Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Finished W4D3 part 2 yesterday! It was so easy, I feel silly repeating the week, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

Looking forward to Week 5 tomorrow! The time increase seems daunting on day 2 but time marches on and I'm going to run along with it. :wink:

Good job all for keeping up with it (and exceeding it!). I didn't think I would be able to run like this a month ago.
  • 1960lisa
    Options
    W5D3 - sort of done.....

Well I'm back from the gym.... and yes the mental challenge got the better of me.... I got off to a bad start, not only because I was dreading it, but I forgot to have anything to eat before I left (I normally have a banana to keep me going).... also forgot my water bottle and had no money to buy a bottle of water so just had to have a few gulps from the bubbler at the start.... so I started running and I turned off the stats on the treadmill so I couldn't see how far I still had to go... had a minor hiccup when I accidentally banged against my headphone cord and sent my iphone flying across the room.... back on and I managed to run 15 minutes straight before stopping.... after recovering I ran a few extra lots of 2-3 mins to a total running of about 23 minutes..... kept going to complete 5k in 45:30.... still running very slowly but I'm not worried about that as I can feel that speed will come later.

I can see that I can do it and I can really see how it was definitely my mental state that convinced me I had to stop.... I really wasn't at the lung exploding state.... my legs get very very heavy though.

I'm now sort of keen to go and do today again and try to make the 20 min.... not sure if I should try tomorrow or if I should have a day to recover.... what do you think??