<3 support group for women eating 2000+ calories per day <3

Options

Replies

• B3Streeter
    B3Streeter Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I'm headed off to Cape Cod in the morning tomorrow for my very 1st 1/2 marathon Saturday! I'm ready to run like crazy & eat plenty of good food & carbs tonight & tomorrow!
  • TluvK
    TluvK Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I'm headed off to Cape Cod in the morning tomorrow for my very 1st 1/2 marathon Saturday! I'm ready to run like crazy & eat plenty of good food & carbs tonight & tomorrow!

Good luck! You'll love it! I hope you have good running weather!
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options

Oohhh, I live in Mass, weather may not be so great, but I bet you will do fine!!! I did a 1/2 in hyannis a few years ago, what a great race! Nothing like running on the ocean!!! Good Luck!!!!!
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    Forgot to answer question of the day re: gadgets:

If we are talking little type gadgets, then my garmin runner (forget specifis) is my fav. Calculates distance/pace/calories/also HRM. I love it!
    ALso my treadmil!! LIving in New ENgland, I wont run if its under 15 degrees, or rainy/snowy/icy, so that gets used all the time!!! ALso comes in handy when I have no sitter for my daughter!
  • caveats
    caveats Posts: 493 Member
    Options

What a gorgeous setting for a half marathon. I was out there for a wedding last summer and absolutely fell in love with the scenery.

Good luck and, better yet, have fun! :)
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Morning all!

Yay a recipe thread, I will have to head over and check it out :)

My favourite fitness gadget would have to be my Garmin forerunner 305, my spibelt, my weights, my iPhone for logging MFP...oh, wait, you said only one?!? I'm a gadget-wh*re!!

Weight is up a little this morning but was expecting it - water retention from hubbys cooking me thinks! I always notice how tight my wedding rings are in the morning then I know :) Hubs had the day off from work yesterday so insisted on cooking - I came home to 'real' sausages, mashed potato and gravy....the boy must be sick of my protein, veges, brown rice/quinoa meals :P was a nice change and felt extra decadent on my rest day too!

Although my weight is slightly up, my waist has gone down 2cms to 68cm, and my hips have gone down 1cm to 89cm - sorry american folks I have no idea what that is in inches!! Yay, glad to be still losing cms!

So the plan today is to drink lots of water, banana oatmeal out of an almost empty almond butter jar shortly, maybe sushi for lunch then some serious lifting tonight woop woop!

Thank god its Friday!! - well, it is in NZ xxxx
  • olivia3263
    olivia3263 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I need your help!

So I just amped up my running schedule this week:

Monday: 7 miles
    Tuesday: Interval Sprints (about 4 miles total)
    Wednesday: 7 miles
    Thursday: Hill repeats (5.35 total)
    Friday: 5 miles
    Saturday: Long run (10 - 15; 10 this week)

I did Hill repeats for the first time ever this morning - MAN what a workout. I found this perfect hill in my neighborhood that goes uphill (not sure the incline but it's pretty decent) about .25 miles and then goes down .25 miles - I turned around and did the hill in reverse - and repeated that whole process 4 times. My entire run with my gps was a total of 5.35 miles (was running uphill for a total of 2 miles). I've recently stopped using my heart rate monitor for calorie burn because miles per weight calculations gave me more calories to eat, and I found that I needed them. Well miles per weight gives me 636 (I'm 157) - but I have felt spent and STARVING all day long. This workout seriously did me in - which is great, but I just went back on a deficit on Monday (I was eating at maintenance for a little bit training for a race, and just changed my goals to .5 pound a week loss) and i want to at least try to stay within my calories for the week and maybe go over a little on the weekend (cheat day-ish/long run).

I guess if I'm hungry I should just listen to my body and eat, but I'm wondering if the calorie burn is still accurate if I ran that much uphill. I've read that it burns more calories, but can't seem to find a decent calculator for uphill running. Does anyone know of a good online calories burned calculator that uses distance+weight+incline?

And PS, my HRM showed more than it usually does for a calorie burn for 5+ miles, but still was under the 636. My body seems to think it burned a lot more - what to do, what to do.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    I need your help!

I did Hill repeats for the first time ever this morning - MAN what a workout. I found this perfect hill in my neighborhood that goes uphill (not sure the incline but it's pretty decent) about .25 miles and then goes down .25 miles - I turned around and did the hill in reverse - and repeated that whole process 4 times. My entire run with my gps was a total of 5.35 miles (was running uphill for a total of 2 miles). I've recently stopped using my heart rate monitor for calorie burn because miles per weight calculations gave me more calories to eat, and I found that I needed them. Well miles per weight gives me 636 (I'm 157) - but I have felt spent and STARVING all day long. This workout seriously did me in - which is great, but I just went back on a deficit on Monday (I was eating at maintenance for a little bit training for a race, and just changed my goals to .5 pound a week loss) and i want to at least try to stay within my calories for the week and maybe go over a little on the weekend (cheat day-ish/long run).

I guess if I'm hungry I should just listen to my body and eat, but I'm wondering if the calorie burn is still accurate if I ran that much uphill. I've read that it burns more calories, but can't seem to find a decent calculator for uphill running. Does anyone know of a good online calories burned calculator that uses distance+weight+incline?

And PS, my HRM showed more than it usually does for a calorie burn for 5+ miles, but still was under the 636. My body seems to think it burned a lot more - what to do, what to do.

My understandings about using distance to calculate calories are a) we tend to run more slowly on the uphills than we do on the downhills or flat surfaces, so the effort level is relatively similar, and b) we tend to run loops rather than linear distances, so uphills are matched by equivalent downhills.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I am very tempted to try working this out using basic physics, but I bet there's a calculator out there somewhere :laugh:

If you're maintaining or gaining I'd say trust your body, within reason. As long as you are eating things where you can stop when you're full (which For me means no milk chocolate!) it can't do much harm.
  • xcjumper
    xcjumper Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Dawn-that's a bummer about your BMF. I hope that's not the case but I did read reviews on Amazon and they all had similar complaints. We'll see what happens.

Brecka-Have fun on your 1/2!! You're gonna love it...I'm jealous! My next one is in January.

Love4fit-sorry about the weather! It is absolutely gorgeous here today!! This is why we Phoenicians suffer for 4 months in the summer :) It felt so good to run today outside. Yay

Olivia-I agree with agthorn that your calories burned is probably pretty similar as to when you run on the flat but that you probably worked your muscles a lot harder. If you are hungry then I would eat. I do a lot of different workouts but running alway makes me hungry. I don't know what the difference is but I am seriously hungry after a good run. I try not to go overboard and eat healthy things except for my weekend long run days and then I will splurge a bit. For me, in the past, it has been really hard to lose weight when I'm running a lot. Hoping I can figure it out this time and lose some.
  • xcjumper
    xcjumper Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    psych-26cm=26.7inches and 89cm=35inches. So says my handy dandy converter.....Nice job!
  • olivia3263
    olivia3263 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I need your help!

My understandings about using distance to calculate calories are a) we tend to run more slowly on the uphills than we do on the downhills or flat surfaces, so the effort level is relatively similar, and b) we tend to run loops rather than linear distances, so uphills are matched by equivalent downhills.

So I know this is just a Livestrong article, but I've seen this other places too - just not finding it right now. But they say this:

"Running uses more calories than walking, so likewise, if you're running at your maximum speed, you're using more calories than when you're jogging," says Dr. Klauer. "This is because sustained high-aerobic activity creates added effort throughout the body."

Just as a faster pace increases your workload, running on an incline boosts the number of calories you burn per mile. This won't come as a surprise to anyone who's rejoiced when finally reaching the top of a hill.

There's actually an equation to compute the exact number of calories burned at varying inclines. But since you need a Ph.D. in mathematics to make sense of it, Dr. Klauer provided an easier method. "Generally, you can count on a 10-percent increase in calories burned for each degree of incline," says Dr. Klauer. "So, running at a 5-percent incline will burn 50 percent more calories than running on a flat surface, and running on a 10-percent incline actually doubles your calorie-burn."

here's the article: http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-242-304-311-5903-0,00.html

I'm going to just do the best I can today - seriously nothing is filling me up. I'm trying to drink water in between, I just can't shake that hungry feeling. I think I might just need to make thursdays my maintenance day. I don't even get this hungry on long run days.
  • spoiledwife12
    spoiledwife12 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I can't narrow down just one fitness gadget!

I love my Polar FT4 HRM.. I love checking the calories burned!!
    I love my Iphone to use my MFP app!

And, certainly not least, my DVDs and weights!! Any type of class I want is at the push of a button!!

Love4, thanks for starting the recipe thread! Can't wait to check it out.
  • SatelliteCrush80
    SatelliteCrush80 Posts: 3,575 Member
    Options

Oooh, good luck! Just enjoy it...run happy, finish strong! :flowerforyou: Bet that's a beautiful area to race. (jealous. :laugh: )
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    I need your help!

So I know this is just a Livestrong article, but I've seen this other places too - just not finding it right now. But they say this:

"Running uses more calories than walking, so likewise, if you're running at your maximum speed, you're using more calories than when you're jogging," says Dr. Klauer. "This is because sustained high-aerobic activity creates added effort throughout the body."

Just as a faster pace increases your workload, running on an incline boosts the number of calories you burn per mile. This won't come as a surprise to anyone who's rejoiced when finally reaching the top of a hill.

There's actually an equation to compute the exact number of calories burned at varying inclines. But since you need a Ph.D. in mathematics to make sense of it, Dr. Klauer provided an easier method. "Generally, you can count on a 10-percent increase in calories burned for each degree of incline," says Dr. Klauer. "So, running at a 5-percent incline will burn 50 percent more calories than running on a flat surface, and running on a 10-percent incline actually doubles your calorie-burn."

here's the article: http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-242-304-311-5903-0,00.html

I'm going to just do the best I can today - seriously nothing is filling me up. I'm trying to drink water in between, I just can't shake that hungry feeling. I think I might just need to make thursdays my maintenance day. I don't even get this hungry on long run days.

Oh, I know that feeling - I have days like this occasionally after a hard workout too :)

I know that protein and fat help me feel satisfied, maybe try to increase those today?
  • MrsRipdizzle
    MrsRipdizzle Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I am the other one that ordered the bodymedia fit. It is supposed to be here tomorrow. Can't wait! Hope it works. For those of you that wear them, I read that driving sometimes will look like your working out. Do you take it off to drive? Also, how much sweat can it take without killing it?

I have the bodymedia and after 8 monthes it stopped working :grumble:
    When it was working it did not accurately measure strength training, or low impact stuff like yoga/pilates. Also it wont give any results with any kind of cycling/spinning/bike riding.
    I liked the system but even after 8 months I didnt lose weight. Actually I have gained about 4 pounds since I got it, so it hasnt helped me at all. I tried increasing calories based on BMF, decreasing, decreasing carbs, zig zagging, etc. and keep gaining and losing. According the the BMF my average burn was 2500 or so and for 8 months i fluctuated between 1500-2200 intake and nothing. Up and down :sad:
    I was wondering if it was grossly over exaggerating my burn?? I did try to compare it to my HRM and it was off by 50-100 cals, (rBMF reading higher).
    From what I read however most people really love it, and even though I havent had success, I do like it, but broken after 8 mos is super annoying and frustrating and customer service is no help so I am *kitten* outta luck!

Today was my first day wearing the BMF and I didn't notice anything crazy for driving...it showed a very low calorie per minute burn - kinda similar to my sleep burn. I wore it last night for the first time during a Chalean Extreme Push Circuit. It was a 35 min workout and my HRM said I burned 247 calories during that time. The BodyMedia Fit said I only burned 150 or so. :o/ I was sweating but I was standing right in front of a fan and it was about 67 degrees in the room. Not sure if that matters or not. I noticed on my HRM that the highest my HR got was about 148-150 (normally I go higher than that) and for most of the workout I was in the 120-130s. I have Polar FT7 and I thought it was fairly accurate (I have another HRM from Cardio Sport and they were pretty close on calories burned when I've compared in the past)....so I'm not sure what was up with the BodyMedia Fit.

Today I've been moving most of the day (since 7 am) and shopped a LOT ....yet, so far for the day it says 1848 calories burned (at 6 pm). I've yet to get my workout done...that's coming soon. I know I have to give this a good week to get a better estimate as today was not a normal day since I am usually home all day homeschooling my kids (not much walking around compared to today's outing).
  • caveats
    caveats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Felt sluggish and draggy all day thanks to TOM starting. Could barely even eat lunch (relatively simple homemade ginger chicken soup, which normally settles my stomach). Thank God for office food -- just treated myself to an Einstein Bros. bagel with honey almond schmear (a whole 60+g of carbs, wowzers) and I feel almost human again.

Ahh, who needs macros anyway. :drinker: :wink:
  • lucyhoneychurch
    lucyhoneychurch Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Wow, lots to catch up on! Sorry if I miss something:

kellylea87, welcome!

Can't wait to check out the recipe thread for ideas. I am a terrible cook, so you guys will be my inspiration.

Maybe I'll tell the husband that a Bodymedia Fit should be my February birthday present. He's not into hints, doesn't get it. :grumble: Direct is the way to go.

Favorite gadget? It's been my TargetWeight app on my iPhone Touch. It records my weight and graphs it; I enter it daily. I would also have to second loving my DVDs, because that's basically how I got started losing weight.

Today was not a good day (thus far) diet-wise. Two out of three kids didn't finish school today because they were sick, and I've been driving around a lot. Went to my parent's house to celebrate my daughter's 3rd birthday and ate whatever food they had there (greasy noodles and egg rolls, but a few veggies. And then my nemesis, a German-chocolate cherry cake. It is my kryptonite). I brought one banana for my car trip, but only had Luna bars for the trip home. My time was tight today, and also probably tomorrow so I don't know when I'll get a chance to work out between the kids' schedules. I'll try to fit something in tomorrow, somehow.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    I ate like a million calories of indian food at lunch - ok maybe not a million but I bet it was easily 1200 and maybe as high as 1500. Gonna hit up some serious workouts so I can have dinner.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    Okay, well, I had a Bodybugg and I found that the calorie estimations were waaay off for me. I would get up to 2700 calories burned a day. That seems highly unlikely with me being so small but maybe it's possible. I know I wasn't losing and I ate about 2100 calories or so then. I'm not sure how it compares to the Bodymedia Fit.

How many of you live in the Northeast of the U.S.? It's getting cold here! My first winter in this area. I grew up in CA.