• scarletleavy
    scarletleavy Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    3015062728_6b27f9a6ae.jpg

For the win!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Azachery: Thankyou for all your ridiculous posts today. It was my inspiration during my heavy squats today. But not to worry, since my goal is to gain some muscle I'm planning on chucking on the sweats and hitting the pool tomorrow morning.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Oh my this made my morning..

Bumping this post to ask my trainer about later... He's going to get a kick out of these posts.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    But not to worry, since my goal is to gain some muscle I'm planning on chucking on the sweats and hitting the pool tomorrow morning.

It's all going to be lean gains too because the insulin fairy can't swim.
  • soysos
    soysos Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Don't,be so quick to dismiss swimming. Swimming freestyle is like doing lats leg curles seated row and chest fly all at the same time. Do it in sweats you increase natural resistance ten fold.

As for pictures I have some of me at 220 I'll post them this afternoon.
  • lockef
    lockef Posts: 466
    Options
    Darn, I missed out. All-day meeting yesterday kept me out of this one!

So much BS thrown around and even a mention of muscle confusion... AWESOME!

*patiently waiting for chopped soysos pics*
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Actually I'm 6' tall in my picture I have 10% body fat at 180 pounds.

Mass and stragth go hand in hand. And to build strangth all you need is to steadily put more stress on your muscles. Again not hard just time consuming and heavy lifting is not vital to success.
    So you're telling me you were 40lbs heavier at 1% less body fat than you are now? And unless you were enhanced and lost all that muscle recently, this was all as a high school teenager? Dude I am calling BS. Again unless you were taking something.
    You DON'T lose that much muscle if you didn't use weight resistance training. Maybe if you did lift hard and heavy and had like a 4 year layoff and ate in calorie deficit, but not if you didn't train like you say you didn't.
    Oh wait, you could if you were on meth. I call BS.

Consistent training for 12 years got me those results. Then I took two years off eating half as.much now its all gone.

Profile:

soysos

21 years old

Male

Training for 12 years.

Hitting the weights hard since you were 7 years old huh soysos? 7 + 12 years + 2 years off = 21 years old.

buhaha

bump
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    Explain how a person can tell when they have gained muscle. Please, don't tell me this is hard to do, because it shouldn't be.
    Photos, buying larger clothes, tape measurements and increase in strength and metabolism are the usual indicators.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Explain how Serena has muscular arms with a high body fat percentage. Well, according to you, she has a high body fat percentage.
    She does have a higher body fat percentage compared to the others you mentioned. And I'm more than sure that Serena trains much much differently because she's an athlete so she strength trains which isn't uncommon.
    You said that low body fat percentage is responsible for a person having muscular arm. You do realize that everyone has muscles right? With that fact, how come everyone that has a low body fat percentage doesn't have muscular arms, abs, etc.?
    You're making some strawman arguments here. Trying to compare a "untrained" people to people who have obviously done some training. I made that statement from the COMPARISONS that YOU made with people you chose. Stick to the comparisons you made.
  • slacker80
    slacker80 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    There's a big misconception with women when they say " I don't want to get all big" , when reffering to lifting. However it needs to be understood through the difference in genetics and womens hormones that the fact is you won't get all big and freaky. That's if to say you're going naturally or even with over the counter supps.

What you will get is the most beautiful TONE, leanness, firmness, and the best fit appealing definition.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Everyone has muscles. A low body fat percentage doesn't mean people will have muscular arms, abs, legs. - if that was true, then all those skinny models would have muscular arms, abs and legs.
    Again you're trying to fit others into your arguments that had nothing to do with it. Models don't weight train. The others you mentioned did.
    You've said that it would take years for a person to gain muscle. Really? Then how come many actors, such as Hugh Jackman, Taylor Lautner, Daniel Craig, etc. have gained a good amount of muscle in a short period of time for a movie?

Please explain to me, how a person know when they have gained muscle.
    How do you know how much muscle any of these guys gained? They were all fit and in great shape to start with. You read too much supplement info on how someone lost fat and gained muscle.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Don't,be so quick to dismiss swimming. Swimming freestyle is like doing lats leg curles seated row and chest fly all at the same time. Do it in sweats you increase natural resistance ten fold.

Lol, this is so comical. You obviously don't know kinesiology. A leg curl consists of bringing your heel to your glutes. What swimmer swims this way? Seated rows your elbows bend at at least 90 degrees. What swimmer swims with 90 degree bent elbows with their arm in the water? Chest flyes don't start in an overhead position they start from a lateral position. How can you do that swimming freestyle?
    Please refrain from trying to compare swimming to weight training. You're really bad at it.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    Maybe a mini rant.

I think women on here through out "you are gaining muscle" WAY too often. Gaining muscle is not as easy as you think ladies. doing the 30 day shred for 7 days sure isnt going to show a huge amount of muscle gain :P

From what I have read (numbers vary of course with different studies) a 12 week period of calorie surplus and a good lifting routine will show about a 4 lb muscle gain. If you are eating 1200 calories a day and not doing resistance training I highly doubt you are gaining muscle mass.

Like I said i think this is said WAY too much. If someone says they didn't lose or they gained one week, I see so many comments of women saying "its all muscle" or "don't worry its just muscle" and blah blah blah xD

/end rant

AGREE! Even some men are having a hard time to gain muscles & to think that they have 20-30% more testosterone levels than us. My body type also lean more towards the muscular side but there's no way that I can gain muscle in as little as 7 days. I'm not quite sure about this but I read somewhere that the most that a person can achieve is from .5-1 lb of muscle in a month of a 3x a week weight training for men, while women will only achieve half of this in a month.
  • lockef
    Options

Lol, this is so comical. You obviously don't know kinesiology. A leg curl consists of bringing your heel to your glutes. What swimmer swims this way? Seated rows your elbows bend at at least 90 degrees. What swimmer swims with 90 degree bent elbows with their arm in the water? Chest flyes don't start in an overhead position they start from a lateral position. How can you do that swimming freestyle?
    Please refrain from trying to compare swimming to weight training. You're really bad at it.

Standing up from my chair is like doing squats... maybe if I do it in sweats I'll gain some muscle.
  • piccolarj
    piccolarj Posts: 488 Member
    Options

No wonder I can't swim I've been doing it all wrong!! :ohwell:
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    This thread got good ^-^
  • Sidesteal
    Options

In for this.
  • Sidesteal
    Options

Standing up from my chair is like doing squats... maybe if I do it in sweats I'll gain some muscle.

Dude I'm replying with gloves on. I'll be cracking walnuts barehanded tomorrow.
  • lockef
    Options

Dude I'm replying with gloves on. I'll be cracking walnuts barehanded tomorrow.

Deng... your forearms must be burning right now!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    You've said that it would take years for a person to gain muscle. Really? Then how come many actors, such as Hugh Jackman, Taylor Lautner, Daniel Craig, etc. have gained a good amount of muscle in a short period of time for a movie?

Please explain to me, how a person know when they have gained muscle.
    Let me add to this. Did you know that Hugh Jackman is doing another Wolverine movie (so cool) and he's been asked to put on 25lbs? Well he started in October of 2010.................and still hasn't got there yet. He's training daily and eating 6000 calories a day with 300 grams of protein. So it's been a year and he hasn't done it yet. Here's what he's had to say:
    “It was so hard for me to get into Wolverine shape. Will Smith famously said it’s so much easier to stay in shape than get in shape. I’m nervous because I have another Wolverine movie coming up next year,” Hugh explained.

Asked how much weight he has to put on for the action flick, Hugh revealed, “A lot, and you have to be lean. I do the Dwayne Johnson diet. I rang him and he said [eat] 6000 calories a day - you start at 6.30 in the morning eating chicken and broccoli, and you eat every two hours.”

http://justjared.buzznet.com/2011/09/29/hugh-jackman-i-do-the-dwayne-johnson-diet/
    Now are you going to doubt what Jackman has to say?

Lautner is a teen. Putting on muscle for teens is much easier, but even for Lautner it took him almost a year to put on 20lbs. And that was with everything in his favor. A trainer, the right foods and high testosterone.

Craig has lost weight and put on several times. It's much easier to put muscle back on than trying to put it on initially.

If you've never tried to put on lean muscle and disagree with the science of it, then you're just debating for the sake of debating. Problem is you're doing it with opinions and not facts.