support group for losing those last 10 lbs.

Options

Replies

• debbiequack
    debbiequack Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I realize that my reply will get lost with the others but I have a serious, and non-inflammatory question:

Why not just bag it and call it good?

The reason I ask is bc I did some research and there really is a weight we are "meant to be" (I can't recall what it's called-- it's not called "set point" anymore, but it's a similar notion). Also, yo-yo-ing has been found to be more detrimental to your health than being moderately overweight so...

I increased my goal to a whopping 155 which is the upper end of normal for my height. I did so with the hopes of being able to maintain it.

Thoughts?

Debbie
  • Shannonigans84
    Shannonigans84 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I realize that my reply will get lost with the others but I have a serious, and non-inflammatory question:

Why not just bag it and call it good?

The reason I ask is bc I did some research and there really is a weight we are "meant to be" (I can't recall what it's called-- it's not called "set point" anymore, but it's a similar notion). Also, yo-yo-ing has been found to be more detrimental to your health than being moderately overweight so...

I increased my goal to a whopping 155 which is the upper end of normal for my height. I did so with the hopes of being able to maintain it.

Thoughts?

Debbie

While that might work for some, I don't feel good when I'm at the higher end of my normal weight. (174lbs or so) I've been yo-yo'ing for years and I've been committed to stop doing it. For me getting down to my preferred weight is better than settling for a higher weight because it's easier.
  • cbinnd
    cbinnd Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I agree with Shannon_2003. It's about how you feel. Each person knows at what weight they feel the best. And sometimes you have to go below your best weight to know where you feel the best. It's not about taking the easy way out.... That's how most of us gained our weight to being with.
  • debbiequack
    debbiequack Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I agree with Shannon_2003. It's about how you feel. Each person knows at what weight they feel the best. And sometimes you have to go below your best weight to know where you feel the best. It's not about taking the easy way out.... That's how most of us gained our weight to being with.

I guess I'm just wondering (and truly, not trying to be oppositional) that if everyone complains about those last 10 pounds, maybe they are shooting too low? Maybe our bodies are trying to tell us something?

*shutting up now, I promise :)
  • cbinnd
    cbinnd Posts: 178 Member
    Options

I guess I'm just wondering (and truly, not trying to be oppositional) that if everyone complains about those last 10 pounds, maybe they are shooting too low? Maybe our bodies are trying to tell us something?

*shutting up now, I promise :)

HAHA you're fine... it's a valid question. My thought is that throughout the entire weight loss process you have plateaus for various reasons. I did a little bit in and I knew that it was not just my body saying that was enough because I still felt like crap. So it just depends on the person, which is why weight loss is so tricky. :smile:
  • sissamae
    sissamae Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Hello, I have been reading a lot of posts and just have a question that I need clarified. When you are all talking aboutincreasing your calories are you talking about total calories...including exercise calories?? Like eating more than your alotted plus exercise?? I am at 1200+ what ever i earn with exercise. So, normally I eat all of my calories which is usually between 1400-1500. Are you adding 100-200 to this total?? I am just trying to figure out what to try.

It is Saturday afternoon and I haven't worked out since Thursday and probably won't work out until Monday. I have a bladder infection and running or jumping around (even walking) makes me feel even worse! Taking these couple days to regroup and hopefully will be back up to 100% on Monday.

This group is great and full of great advice. Thanks alot to all you have to offer ladies!
  • amys31
    amys31 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Hello, I have been reading a lot of posts and just have a question that I need clarified. When you are all talking aboutincreasing your calories are you talking about total calories...including exercise calories?? Like eating more than your alotted plus exercise?? I am at 1200+ what ever i earn with exercise. So, normally I eat all of my calories which is usually between 1400-1500. Are you adding 100-200 to this total?? I am just trying to figure out what to try.

It is Saturday afternoon and I haven't worked out since Thursday and probably won't work out until Monday. I have a bladder infection and running or jumping around (even walking) makes me feel even worse! Taking these couple days to regroup and hopefully will be back up to 100% on Monday.

This group is great and full of great advice. Thanks alot to all you have to offer ladies!
    Yes I know that net vs intake of calories is confusing..to be honest I get a bit confused too. Here is what I am trying...I am zig zagging my calories based on my weight maintenance which I figured to be 1900 (based on my height/weight/activity level etc)..so this is taking into consideration my activity to some extent...I realized I was eating close to 1200 calories and sometimes working out and burning close to 500-800 some days..that would put me at a net of 500 calories for the day. I was even doing double work outs!!!!

I have been doing this for months and my weight has remained the same..... literally hasn't budged...time to stop the "insanity" and try something new....

What I am doing now is eating 3 days low, 1 day high..I figured this out by subtracting 30% of my maintenance goal (1900) this gets me my "low number" which turns out to be around 1400. So I will do 3 days at 1400 and 1 day at 1900. I am not going to eat back my exercise calories and try that for a few weeks. I want to see if the increase in calories will help.

All we really can do is chart what we are doing and tweak our nutrition/exercise until we get the results we want. As you know we are all different..and I don't believe we should have a "one size fits all" attitude..
    If you are interested in finding out more let me know..I can give you the formula I used to get my maintenance number. Im also following Tom Venuto..a fitness professional that doesn't use gimmicks/drugs/ etc.

Hope you feel better!!!
  • Shannonigans84
    Shannonigans84 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Right now I'm eating at my BMR level which is about 1550 calories. I was eating well below that prior with no results. I eat back my exercise calories and try to net within 100 calories of 1550. Some days I eat over 1800 calories with the exercise tacked on there. I'm tall and 1400 calories and below is too low for me. Everyone is different though; it's all about finding that magic number and switching things up. Since I've upped my calories last week I've lost 1.5lbs. If I stall I'm going to only eat back half of my exercise calories. I think eating closer to your maintenance while still in a small deficit is the best way to go to prepare your body for when weight loss is no longer needed. Obviously this is more for those with little left to lose. It takes longer, but it's more likely the weight will stay off.
  • tbbaddict
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I hope it's not too late to join. I lost about 8 pounds over the last 6 months and have about 10 more pounds to lose to get to my preferred weight of 105.My biggest downfall is my diet...just do not have any willpower. I'm hoping it will help to keep track of my calories. I've been doing it for a week or so on MFP (I seem to go over my recommended calories all the time). Will try to do better starting on Monday.

I added myself to the weight goal chart. I started reading some of the earlier posts, but let me know if there is anything else I need to do.
  • holly_v
    holly_v Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-full-diet-break.html

so i read the article (well most of it). i have upped my calories a little, im too afraid to go up so much so fast. i was eating the 1200 that most people do then i upped my calories in aug to 1350 and lost about 4-5lbs since then and i am stuck again, so now im going to try for 1500 and hope for another loss.
  • Becky1971
    Becky1971 Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    OHhhh! Haha, thanks!
    I'm not on the list. Does anyone even see my messages, I replied twice early on and never got a response. Had someone on MFP tell me they don't see my messages, so just curious as to whether this is a common thing or not.

you add your self to the chart
  • Becky1971
    Options
    *Edit* I added my info, have never used google docs before so had no idea I could edit it myself, quite simple, I like it!*Edit*

I must have missed something somewhere, will have to go back and read over. Sometimes I get a bit overwhelmed when these threads move so fast. Lots of us in the same boat, sure glad to see that!.

Yeah that's what I was thinking, it wouldn't matter with this group.

Thanks, glad to know I'm visible, I really think I was being given a load or garbage lol!
    How does measureing your wrist determine bone size? When I weighed 45 pounds more, I could not wrap my fingers around my wrist and have them touch, now I can. Maybe it would be more accurate if we are not overweight, but if there is much weight, than you are measuring fat not bone.
    Thanks for the Chart for all of us! In case you missed it...
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AhetdXDEqVlldE5pSlBQTHZKU2NsM1dqVHVDQkF0SGc
    If you are wondering what you body frame size is the following can help...
    http://www.ehow.com/how_2346297_determine-body-frame-size.html

I noticed that not everyone has their height on the chart. I like seeing that, it's helpful to compare a bit.
    I weigh in on Monday (not Thursday) I have found that this keeps me much more accountable through the weekend and is probably a more "honest" weight for myself.

Hoping to have maintained this week, This was a bad week for exercise so I am hoping not to see any gain. I :heart: my exercise calories! :happy:

You can add yourself to the list (at least I did) :tongue:
    In this group that is within 10 pounds or so of your goal the wrist measurement should be pretty accurate I would think.
    And, YES! I can see you! :flowerforyou:
  • Becky1971
    Options
    I'm struggling with knee pain right now, wondering if I need to find some other things to do besides the lunges and squats that are part of my workout. I'm quite bummed, as what I'm doing for a workout has been great. so great that if this is where I stay with weight, that's fine. I actually went up .4 this week from last week, I believe it's muscle, but now I'm two days without working out. Trying to decide if I should just take a few days and rest my knees, or what. I just don't really know. I do know that while I do occasionally have issues with them off and on, I haven't for a long time with working out, I really thought working out had helped. Then I went to a Real Zumba class for the first time a month ago, and we did some jumping backwards, and I have had continued issues since. pretty frustrating. I know that the squats and lunges have been hugely beneficial, the squats are jumping squats in my Jillian Michaels, and I do not want to give up that workout. It's been really awesome.
  • mallred76
    mallred76 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I'd like to join, I have 9 pounds to lose. I'm new to MFP, can you tell me what I need to join?
  • holly_v
    holly_v Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling with knee pain right now, wondering if I need to find some other things to do besides the lunges and squats that are part of my workout. I'm quite bummed, as what I'm doing for a workout has been great. so great that if this is where I stay with weight, that's fine. I actually went up .4 this week from last week, I believe it's muscle, but now I'm two days without working out. Trying to decide if I should just take a few days and rest my knees, or what. I just don't really know. I do know that while I do occasionally have issues with them off and on, I haven't for a long time with working out, I really thought working out had helped. Then I went to a Real Zumba class for the first time a month ago, and we did some jumping backwards, and I have had continued issues since. pretty frustrating. I know that the squats and lunges have been hugely beneficial, the squats are jumping squats in my Jillian Michaels, and I do not want to give up that workout. It's been really awesome.

i was getting really bad knee pain at the back of my knee from turbo fire work outs. now i wrap my knee and ice it after a workout and this has helped greatly. i still have the pain but i can at least walk and move now!
  • olivia3263
    olivia3263 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-full-diet-break.html

so i read the article (well most of it). i have upped my calories a little, im too afraid to go up so much so fast. i was eating the 1200 that most people do then i upped my calories in aug to 1350 and lost about 4-5lbs since then and i am stuck again, so now im going to try for 1500 and hope for another loss.

I upped mine slowly. Every three days I changed my goal 100 calories more until I was up at maintenance level. I think if you just jump up there and stay there, you'd probably see a gain at first - but it WILL go away when you return to a deficit. I just avoided the scale completely for the 2 weeks because I knew if I peaked and saw a gain, I would stop the break, and I knew it was what my body needed. So glad I stuck with it though. I'm now able to lose eating a whole lot more calories than I was eating before. VERY worth it, in my opinion.
  • splackk
    splackk Posts: 163
    Options
    splackk I acedently deleted your "how many to go". that column has a formula which doesnt support your goal weight. sorry about that. i can delete the formula for you or youll need to change your goal to one number :smile:

No problem at all! Haha, I'm actually not sure if I managed to update myself or some kind soul helped me out, my computer's been having issues and refused to let me update the last two days, so somehow either the changes did go through or THANK YOU to whoever helped me! It seems to be working now for me anyway, thankfully.
  • sissamae
    sissamae Posts: 232 Member
    Options

Yes I know that net vs intake of calories is confusing..to be honest I get a bit confused too. Here is what I am trying...I am zig zagging my calories based on my weight maintenance which I figured to be 1900 (based on my height/weight/activity level etc)..so this is taking into consideration my activity to some extent...I realized I was eating close to 1200 calories and sometimes working out and burning close to 500-800 some days..that would put me at a net of 500 calories for the day. I was even doing double work outs!!!!

I have been doing this for months and my weight has remained the same..... literally hasn't budged...time to stop the "insanity" and try something new....

What I am doing now is eating 3 days low, 1 day high..I figured this out by subtracting 30% of my maintenance goal (1900) this gets me my "low number" which turns out to be around 1400. So I will do 3 days at 1400 and 1 day at 1900. I am not going to eat back my exercise calories and try that for a few weeks. I want to see if the increase in calories will help.

All we really can do is chart what we are doing and tweak our nutrition/exercise until we get the results we want. As you know we are all different..and I don't believe we should have a "one size fits all" attitude..
    If you are interested in finding out more let me know..I can give you the formula I used to get my maintenance number. Im also following Tom Venuto..a fitness professional that doesn't use gimmicks/drugs/ etc.

Hope you feel better!!!

Thank you for responding. Your information really helps alot. If you can share what formula you used to get your maintenance number I would like to try something like you are trying. Anything I can learn to prepare me for eating healthy and being fit for the rest of my life is wonderful!!
  • amys31
    amys31 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I'd like to join, I have 9 pounds to lose. I'm new to MFP, can you tell me what I need to join?
    You're in!!! Feel free to post questions/challenges, what did/didn't work for you this week, or anything else you want to say or ask a question about!!:-)
    Also , we weigh in on thursdays..so you can post your weight :-)
  • Becky1971
    Options
    Thanks! I was wondering if I should treat it similarly to when I had shin splints, I have started using compression things while working out, and have worn them at times that they have hurt more than moderately during the day too. I will definitely give the ice a shot.

i was getting really bad knee pain at the back of my knee from turbo fire work outs. now i wrap my knee and ice it after a workout and this has helped greatly. i still have the pain but i can at least walk and move now!