support group for losing those last 10 lbs.

Options

Replies

• amys31
    amys31 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    How about an exercise challenge? Burn 50 more calories a day than your daily goal? Thoughts?

Great idea..perhaps we can do something different at each workout ie: throw in sprints...add 2-3 lb weights during cardio...add 10 extra minutes..etc.
  • tracimy9
    Options
    ***Do you eat back your exercise calories?
    ***Also, how much do you eat total and how many calories do you burn on average per day?

Yes, I typically eat back most of my exercise calories, at least I try to...on days I do spin class, it gets to be too high sometimes.

On good, normal, healthy days, I'm around 1200-1500 net calories typically. (Trying to up that a little more to get the scale to budge).
  • bookdame
    Options
    I'm up for a new challenge for November! I took this weekend off, ate, drank, didn't workout. Just decided to take a rest. No change on the scale this a.m. (couldn't resist checking).

My elbow is just healing, so I'm finally into the part where I'm strengthening it back up. Not sure I'm ready for push-ups yet or getting back into yoga, but I have started doing more core work, particularly bicycle kicks on the floor. Do 2+ minutes, do other sets of exercies, do 2+ more minutes....etc.

I had a crappy weekend too but I'm ready to get back in the saddle for November.

I have been trying to lose the same 10-15 pounds for a year now and its gotten me down. But now I'm trying to follow body for life as dilligently as possible. I just want some support! I think at night I might start logging into MFP for some inspiration.

I have an injured knee and shoulder but i'm not stopping! I see so many people struggling with 100+ to lose, I'm not going to let 10 pounds get me down.
  • Hoosiermomma
    Hoosiermomma Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    ***Do you eat back your exercise calories? Most of them
    ***Also, how much do you eat total and how many calories do you burn on average per day?
    I have my calories set to 1450 per day plus try to eat the 350+ calories I earn for exercise. If I do more work than that I do not try to eat the extra calories. This helps me keep a deficit for the week when I figure in the day or two that I do not workout.
    I figure I burn about 500 more calories that I eat since I am losing about 1/2 pound per week.

Stats: 5' 5"
    137 lbs

Challenge: I am adding a walk outside today besides doing the elliptical - It's beautiful out there! (NW IN.).
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,996 Member
    Options
    I look forward to the 'november challenge' - but won't participate this week. I'd just fail. I have a supper out Tues night, a lunch out Wed, a lunch out Thurs, a lunch AND a dinner out Fri and a dinner function on Saturday. So, for me, I'll have my work cut out for me just managing my nutrition. And, my exercise will be lacking, too.

Now, I *do* have a birthday this week, so, yes, I'm going to cut myself some slack and enjoy it!

But, I'll be 100% back on track next week. And, my goal this week is just to not GAIN any weight. I made the mistake of weighing myself twice, last week - so now I don't know which "number" is the good number. I won't do that again. I will try and only weigh myself once-per-week, or not even at all. Weighing once-per-month is my long-term goal.

And, yes, I still intend to be down 10 lbs. by Xmas. Hopefully down 8 by Dec. 12th.
  • Becky1971
    Becky1971 Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I do eat back all my exercise calories. I may not eat them back all in that day though. Most of the time I do. I do always eat after I workout.

My cals are set at 1350, and on average I burn 350 a day, since school started back up. I want to burn 500 a day though.
    Hi ladies::flowerforyou:

I have a question for the week...will be interested in what everyone says and to start a discussion:.....................................

CHALLENGE this WEEK:.........................do something "extra" at each workout IE: add an extra 10 minutes of high intensity cardio (sprints etc), add 2-3 lb weights into your cardio routine, switch up the time of day that you work out, increase your intensity..try HIIT..., add hills to your workout (treadmill), walk at lunch time..
    let's keep our bodies guessing!!!!
  • beaner1st
    beaner1st Posts: 229 Member
    Options

I eat back most of my exercise calories.
    I am at 1300 calories a day and burn about 300-400 calories per day.
    I say I exercise so I can eat. :)
  • mommynmotion
    mommynmotion Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    In the past I have eaten mine back and not lost weight...didn't lose not eating them either though!

After my juice fast, I will eat most of them. I have my goal set for 1500 net calories...upped from the 1200 that MFP gave me when I started, because I didn't lose. Everyone said I need to eat more! We'll see...
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options

I have a question for the week...will be interested in what everyone says and to start a discussion:.....................................

CHALLENGE this WEEK:.........................do something "extra" at each workout IE: add an extra 10 minutes of high intensity cardio (sprints etc), add 2-3 lb weights into your cardio routine, switch up the time of day that you work out, increase your intensity..try HIIT..., add hills to your workout (treadmill), walk at lunch time..

I usually eat back my calories, but I have tried both eating back and not eating back and I dont lose regardless, so since I workout better and feel better eating them back, thats what I do!!

My average daily intake as of a week ago is 2100 calories and my average daily burn is 450. (maintenance for me is roughly 2500 if I am active.

I am up for the challenge, and it is actually incorporated into the other challenge of doing something that you dont really like. I have decided for the week to do 20 minutes on the treadmill each day on top of regular exercise!! That being said I am going to hit it right now!!!
    Happy Halloween!
  • Shannonigans84
    Shannonigans84 Posts: 693 Member
    Options

I eat most of my calories back. I try to net my BMR of 1550. I love being able to eat more! I burn around 300 calories a day from extra activity.

As far as the extra goes, I just started using 3lbs dumbells with my exercise dvd, so I think I'll add 10mins of 6" stepups to the end of my routine. I find them super boring, but a great leg work out!
  • trammellsheryl06
    trammellsheryl06 Posts: 19 Member
    Options

I do not eat my calories back after exercising
    I eat about 1,000 calories per day and burn about 300 calories per day
    **don't throw rocks at me please**
  • easfahl
    easfahl Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Yes, I always eat my exercise calories back. I think I'd wither away if I didn't, not to mention I wouldn't have any energy for the next days exercise and events.

My BMR is actually around 1350/day. However I've been trying to hit around 1200/day. That's NET calories. On average I burn ~600 calories a day. Somedays are just weight training which doesn't burn many calories, then some days are full of high-milage runs and mountain bike thrashes, sometimes in the same day. Those are the only days that it's hard to eat all of my exercise calories back. But that's usually on the weekends when I can drink back some of my exercise calories. But I need to be careful in that department since alcohol is just sugar. I've been doing mainly just vodka and soda with limes or other fruit.

A few questions for ya'll:

1. Can't find Tom Venuto's "Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle." When I search for it on Amazon all I find is "The Body Fat Solution: Five Principles for Burning Fat, Building Lean Muscles, Ending Emotional Eating, and Maintaining Your Perfect Weight" by Tom Venuto. Is that the same book?

2. What are ya'll's thoughts on alcohol? Are ya'll just watching your intake?

3. I see some of you are having quite a bit of success with the "taking a break from logging" effort per the article Olivia posted last week. (Still need to sit down and read that one!) Wouldn't that be just like going on vacation and just "kind of" watching and paying attention to what you eat and do? I don't know about you but most of my vacations don't result in a weight loss. They don't usually result in much of a weight gain either but I'm just curious about the effect. I ask because I am running my first half marathon in December. And I return from a 2 week vacation just 2 weeks before the event. I'm just trying to figure out what the best plan is for that situation.

Keep up the good work everyone!
  • olivia3263
    olivia3263 Posts: 263 Member
    Options

3. I see some of you are having quite a bit of success with the "taking a break from logging" effort per the article Olivia posted last week. (Still need to sit down and read that one!) Wouldn't that be just like going on vacation and just "kind of" watching and paying attention to what you eat and do? I don't know about you but most of my vacations don't result in a weight loss. They don't usually result in much of a weight gain either but I'm just curious about the effect. I ask because I am running my first half marathon in December. And I return from a 2 week vacation just 2 weeks before the event. I'm just trying to figure out what the best plan is for that situation.

Keep up the good work everyone!

Here's the article again, in case anyone was wondering: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-full-diet-break.html

I actually didn't take a break from logging (maybe 2 days after my half marathon) but I tried to stay at my maintenance level or 100-200 above - and 90%-99% healthy calories. I didn't go crazy and I logged everything most days (I was a little more relaxed about it though). I think when you don't log it's hit or miss if you will gain or not after a vacation - I think if you don't gorge and listen to your body you'll probably be ok. However, chances are after your vacation, your metabolism will be burning hot - so that will be a great time to try out maintenance calories until your race - I would HIGHLY suggest eating at least maintenance for your best performance on your half marathon. Your body will need fuel, and the more of a deficit you have, the more your time will suffer. Go back to a deficit after the race and it will be smooth sailing from then on :)
  • olivia3263
    olivia3263 Posts: 263 Member
    Options

Every single one of them. I do mostly running, and I used to log what my heart rate monitor said (which was much lower than MFP). But then I did all this reading about how calories burned is more than just your heart rate, and that for running it really does come down to pure physics (weight and distance), so now I use those two figures to determine calories burned which gives me more calories and I eat them ALL.

I'm 5'8, 156, a teacher so I put lightly active as my activity level and I'm set to lose half a pound a week. That gives me 1740 net calories a day, and I burn anywhere from 400 - 850 calories a day monday - friday. On saturday I do a long run (1000+ exercise calories) so that is my cheat day, and sunday is my day off and I'm trying this new thing where I lighten up a little on this day and don't track but listen to my body.

So all in all I eat anywhere from 2200 - 2600 monday-friday, usually 2500 - 3000 on saturday and around 2000 on sunday.
  • cbinnd
    cbinnd Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Just a quick update... I went to the doctor today and got cleared for exercise :) So I'll be starting my running routine this week. I'm very happy!:happy:
  • easfahl
    easfahl Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the thoughts, Olivia. I definitely think I'll go to my "maintenance intake" for the 2 weeks prior to the race. And I'll try to hurry up and read that article so I understand the concept better.
  • amys31
    Options
    Thanks for the thoughts, Olivia. I definitely think I'll go to my "maintenance intake" for the 2 weeks prior to the race. And I'll try to hurry up and read that article so I understand the concept better.
    the tom venuto book is an "e-book" you can buy it here: http://www.tomvenuto.com/reviews/burnthefatreview.shtml.
    You just print it off from your home computer, but it is SO worth it!

Also ..with alcohol..I really try to limit it and not drink more than 2-3 drinks if I drink. I really like wine and a nice martini, but it will impede on losing fat and looking lean..if it adds up to 2-3 days a week. Just my thoughts;-)
  • amys31
    Options
    It looks like many of you are eating your calories back....I know some of you have said that you've done both. I just have a hard time eating my calories back..when I put in my activity level and found my maintenance calories to be 1900 and so therefore I am eating about 1400 to 1900 calories a day 3:1 (3 low/ 1 high) doesn't it kinda defeat the purpose to eat them back? Im only asking b/c I haven't eaten back my exercise calories unless I ran over 8 miles or had a great deal of exercise.

thanks for all of the responses...Please be sure to note if this is something new you are trying and/or if it is working for you!!
    this is great discussion ladies!!!:happy:
  • amys31
    Options
    In the past I have eaten mine back and not lost weight...didn't lose not eating them either though!

After my juice fast, I will eat most of them. I have my goal set for 1500 net calories...upped from the 1200 that MFP gave me when I started, because I didn't lose. Everyone said I need to eat more! We'll see...
    Im doing the same..I was getting 1200 calories and burning anywhere from 300-600 on some days. I bumped my calories to 1400 3 days a week and the 4th day I eat 1900. Will see how the high/low goes.
  • amys31
    Options

Im doing the same..I was getting 1200 calories and burning anywhere from 300-600 on some days. I bumped my calories to 1400 3 days a week and the 4th day I eat 1900. Will see how the high/low goes.