support group for losing those last 10 lbs.

Options

Replies

• amys31
    amys31 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Hello, I have been reading a lot of posts and just have a question that I need clarified. When you are all talking aboutincreasing your calories are you talking about total calories...including exercise calories?? Like eating more than your alotted plus exercise?? I am at 1200+ what ever i earn with exercise. So, normally I eat all of my calories which is usually between 1400-1500. Are you adding 100-200 to this total?? I am just trying to figure out what to try.

It is Saturday afternoon and I haven't worked out since Thursday and probably won't work out until Monday. I have a bladder infection and running or jumping around (even walking) makes me feel even worse! Taking these couple days to regroup and hopefully will be back up to 100% on Monday.

This group is great and full of great advice. Thanks alot to all you have to offer ladies!
    Yes I know that net vs intake of calories is confusing..to be honest I get a bit confused too. Here is what I am trying...I am zig zagging my calories based on my weight maintenance which I figured to be 1900 (based on my height/weight/activity level etc)..so this is taking into consideration my activity to some extent...I realized I was eating close to 1200 calories and sometimes working out and burning close to 500-800 some days..that would put me at a net of 500 calories for the day. I was even doing double work outs!!!!

I have been doing this for months and my weight has remained the same..... literally hasn't budged...time to stop the "insanity" and try something new....

What I am doing now is eating 3 days low, 1 day high..I figured this out by subtracting 30% of my maintenance goal (1900) this gets me my "low number" which turns out to be around 1400. So I will do 3 days at 1400 and 1 day at 1900. I am not going to eat back my exercise calories and try that for a few weeks. I want to see if the increase in calories will help.

All we really can do is chart what we are doing and tweak our nutrition/exercise until we get the results we want. As you know we are all different..and I don't believe we should have a "one size fits all" attitude..
    If you are interested in finding out more let me know..I can give you the formula I used to get my maintenance number. Im also following Tom Venuto..a fitness professional that doesn't use gimmicks/drugs/ etc.

Hope you feel better!!!

Thank you for responding. Your information really helps alot. If you can share what formula you used to get your maintenance number I would like to try something like you are trying. Anything I can learn to prepare me for eating healthy and being fit for the rest of my life is wonderful!!
    Awesome !! ok...this equation calculates what your BMR is or Basal Metabolic Rate. You can then find out your TDEE or Total Daily Energy Expenditure...grab your calculator:-)
    BMR = 655 + (9.6 x your weight in kg) + (1.8 x your height in cm) - (4.7 x your age in years)

note 1 inch = 2.54 cm
    note 1 kilogram =2.2 lbs
    this is the number your body needs to perform its functions day in and day out ..ie: breathing, digestion etc.

Next you will take your BMR number and times it by your activity level.

BMR x 1.2 Sedentary = (little or no exercise, desk job)
    BMR x lightly active = 1.375 (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk)
    BMR x 1.55 Moderately active = ( moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk)
    BMR x 1.725 Very active = (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk

this number will give you your TDEE (this is the number of calories you need to maintain with consideration to your activity)

Now you can take this number, mine is 1993 and either reduce it by 500 or by 20-25%. If I reduce it by 20% I get 1594 total calories.

get it?...Then I would eat 1594 on my low days and 1900 on my high days. Let me know if you need help:-)
  • Hoosiermomma
    Hoosiermomma Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    Everyone is so full of great ideas! I added one more (Can we handle all of this?:wink: ) I entered the date of my most recent weight on the chart. That way I can see that I am keeping up my data weekly and we can hold each other accountable! I was weighing on Mondays but will add a Thursday weigh-in to work with this group. If it's too much info it can be removed.

I am trying not to be completely scale oriented. There are so many ways to measure success.
    * measurements
    * Increase in lifted weight
    * Lower B/P and pulse rates or cholesterol etc.
    * walking/running further and faster

So many improvements to celebrate! :drinker: You can add your own! Enjoy your weekend!
  • shreddin_mama
    shreddin_mama Posts: 1,076 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone hope all is going well.

My goals....
    -push ups and working on my running. I find it harder to get out since the weather has changed
    -staying away from sweets!! Halloween is coming up so i have candy in the house plus work has been having bake sales and other goodies laying around.
    -i have this one shirt that would look good on me if my belly was a few inches smaller. so i'll be working on that

Good luck!
  • Kim55555
    Kim55555 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to lose the last 10-15 too. I've tried something a little different, but I won't be able to tell you if it's working until the end of this week. So I just ran my first half marathon last sunday, and in planning for it, I decided to do a "full diet break" - http://www.leighpeele.com/diet-break-plan
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-full-diet-break.html

I ate at or above maintenance (usually above) for the past 2 weeks. I wasn't losing eating 1600 calories a day (I'm 5'8 btw) and guess what - I didn't gain eating 2600 -3000 for 2 weeks. And I feel awesome.

So today is the first day back on my deficit and I'm only doing half a pound a week (netting 1675). If all goes as planned, I should start losing again, but I'm not going to weigh myself until saturday, so I'll let u know.

Yey Olivia. I read in the other thread that you broke through your plateau!! Woohhoo

This break in plan has worked for me too. Although my break has been a lot longer.

My story

I've lost 28 kgs since April 2010 and since June 2011 my scale weight has slowed right down. I was eating between 1800 - 2600 gross calories a day and lifting extremely heavy, along with vigorous exercise. I felt like I needed a break and wanted to eat more.
    I was having great success losing centimetres and people kept telling me I was fading away!! I think my body needed a break as well and needed to readjust to this new weight after so long dieting.

But mid August everything came to a halt. So thats when I decided to eat 1800 gross calories suggested to me by 2 personal trainers. I've been eating between 1800 - 1950. I've lost 1.5 kgs in 2 weeks now. :)

I reckon if my body decides to stall again I'll go back up to maintenance calories for a month and then lower my calories once again. I've now got 5 kgs to go to get to my goal weight. I'm in no hurry. Its been a real marathon this weight loss journey. I'd be so happy to reach my 58 kg goal by my 2nd year anniversary april 2012. That would be amazing!! 1 kg a month would be fine by me
  • Kim55555
    Options
    Hi ladies..Im so excited we all are supporting each other and replying/posting our success and challenges...that was really my vision when starting this support group!! Keep it up!

I want you to think about something regarding cutting calories to lose weight..this is taken from Tom Venuto's book Burn the Fat Feed the Muscle.(HIGHLY recommend!!)

hiya. :) Yes this is the book i've been wanting to get!!! That or will brink's book. I tried to order it in at dymocks but you can only order it online at their website so I'll have to get onto that soon!

Scooby highly recommends it. http://scoobysworkshop.com/ Scoobysworkshop is a great website! Check it out guys if you haven't already! :)

He writes a Tom Venuto review here: http://scoobysworkshop.com/burn-the-fat-tom-venuto/
  • Kim55555
    Options
    Pick an outfit/ jeans etc and have that be something that you work towards fitting into better. You could even weigh in Thursday and try on you clothing of choice that day too (so we can see inches). I have a pair of jeans that are my goal to fit into..:smile:

Yes about 3 weeks ago I chose size the 12 singlet for touch rugby. It was tight and still is but my goal is to be able to fit into it comfortably in 6-8 weeks. We should be about half way through the season by then!

When I was playing aussie rules and had to order in our training singlets. I got 2 different sizes one that I could fit into and 1 that I would be able to fit into 2 - 3 months down the track! Now I wish I had gotten 3 different sizes because now they are all too big.

I find its a great incentive!! and motivation. haha and hopefully soon I'll be able to breathe a little easier whilst out there lol. Its just a little too tight atm.
  • sissamae
    sissamae Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Hello, I have been reading a lot of posts and just have a question that I need clarified. When you are all talking aboutincreasing your calories are you talking about total calories...including exercise calories?? Like eating more than your alotted plus exercise?? I am at 1200+ what ever i earn with exercise. So, normally I eat all of my calories which is usually between 1400-1500. Are you adding 100-200 to this total?? I am just trying to figure out what to try.

It is Saturday afternoon and I haven't worked out since Thursday and probably won't work out until Monday. I have a bladder infection and running or jumping around (even walking) makes me feel even worse! Taking these couple days to regroup and hopefully will be back up to 100% on Monday.

This group is great and full of great advice. Thanks alot to all you have to offer ladies!
    Yes I know that net vs intake of calories is confusing..to be honest I get a bit confused too. Here is what I am trying...I am zig zagging my calories based on my weight maintenance which I figured to be 1900 (based on my height/weight/activity level etc)..so this is taking into consideration my activity to some extent...I realized I was eating close to 1200 calories and sometimes working out and burning close to 500-800 some days..that would put me at a net of 500 calories for the day. I was even doing double work outs!!!!

I have been doing this for months and my weight has remained the same..... literally hasn't budged...time to stop the "insanity" and try something new....

What I am doing now is eating 3 days low, 1 day high..I figured this out by subtracting 30% of my maintenance goal (1900) this gets me my "low number" which turns out to be around 1400. So I will do 3 days at 1400 and 1 day at 1900. I am not going to eat back my exercise calories and try that for a few weeks. I want to see if the increase in calories will help.

All we really can do is chart what we are doing and tweak our nutrition/exercise until we get the results we want. As you know we are all different..and I don't believe we should have a "one size fits all" attitude..
    If you are interested in finding out more let me know..I can give you the formula I used to get my maintenance number. Im also following Tom Venuto..a fitness professional that doesn't use gimmicks/drugs/ etc.

Hope you feel better!!!

Thank you for responding. Your information really helps alot. If you can share what formula you used to get your maintenance number I would like to try something like you are trying. Anything I can learn to prepare me for eating healthy and being fit for the rest of my life is wonderful!!
    Awesome !! ok...this equation calculates what your BMR is or Basal Metabolic Rate. You can then find out your TDEE or Total Daily Energy Expenditure...grab your calculator:-)
    BMR = 655 + (9.6 x your weight in kg) + (1.8 x your height in cm) - (4.7 x your age in years)

note 1 inch = 2.54 cm
    note 1 kilogram =2.2 lbs
    this is the number your body needs to perform its functions day in and day out ..ie: breathing, digestion etc.

this number will give you your TDEE (this is the number of calories you need to maintain with consideration to your activity)

Now you can take this number, mine is 1993 and either reduce it by 500 or by 20-25%. If I reduce it by 20% I get 1594 total calories.

get it?...Then I would eat 1594 on my low days and 1900 on my high days. Let me know if you need help:-)

Thank you!! The only question I have is on the activity level. I sit at a desk all day. I do exercise 5 days a week sometimes 6. so would I choose sedentary or moderately active? I always get confused by this because I am sedentary a good part of the day. Thanks
  • sissamae
    sissamae Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    So, after 2 weeks of my weight going up (only 2 lbs up at the highest) I decided that I needed a break. I needed a break from thinking about my weight loss. I got a bladder infection so that helped me with taking a break as I didn't feel I could exercise. I didn't log any food for the past two days and just ate ok. I didn't go on any binges, but I didn't eat perfectly either. Today I got on the scale as I am getting back to logging everything and exercising today. The scales says 124.6!!!!!!!! This is the lowest weight I have been at and it is .2 lower than 2 weeks ago!! Now, I don't think it has anything to do with what I did the past two days, but I think that maybe my body did need a break. I also think that I was eating too few calories and too much sodium and not drinking enought water. Yesterday I drank 5 bottles of water so that may have played into the loss as well. I finally see that the scale is not an accurate reflection of our efforts.
    I am going to mix up my calorie intake this week and next and see how it goes. Hopefully the scale will keep going down :)
  • Shannonigans84
    Shannonigans84 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Sissamae, I would put down sedentary and record your workouts or any activity out of the ordinary. :smile:
  • amys31
    amys31 Posts: 108 Member
    Options

Hope you feel better!!!

note 1 inch = 2.54 cm
    note 1 kilogram =2.2 lbs

Thank you!! The only question I have is on the activity level. I sit at a desk all day. I do exercise 5 days a week sometimes 6. so would I choose sedentary or moderately active? I always get confused by this because I am sedentary a good part of the day. Thanks
    I would go in between and put lightly active..smack dab in the middle....you can play around with it and see. If you feel like you are getting more exercise in, you can always come back and change the activity level.
  • Shannonigans84
    Options

Hope you feel better!!!

note 1 inch = 2.54 cm
    note 1 kilogram =2.2 lbs

I would go in between and put lightly active..smack dab in the middle....you can play around with it and see. If you feel like you are getting more exercise in, you can always come back and change the activity level.

For getting the maintenance cals I would do that too, I think I got confused. :tongue:
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies..Im so excited we all are supporting each other and replying/posting our success and challenges...that was really my vision when starting this support group!! Keep it up!

I want you to think about something regarding cutting calories to lose weight..this is taken from Tom Venuto's book Burn the Fat Feed the Muscle.(HIGHLY recommend!!)

hiya. :) Yes this is the book i've been wanting to get!!! That or will brink's book. I tried to order it in at dymocks but you can only order it online at their website so I'll have to get onto that soon!

Scooby highly recommends it. http://scoobysworkshop.com/ Scoobysworkshop is a great website! Check it out guys if you haven't already! :)

He writes a Tom Venuto review here: http://scoobysworkshop.com/burn-the-fat-tom-venuto/

I just got this book a week or so ago and love it!! It makes so much sense!!! I will check out scoobys workshop!
  • aussiesarah
    aussiesarah Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I hope everyone is having a good weekend!

It's chilly but gorgeous outside, I think I'm going to go for a walk later.

Is anyone else nervous about how they'll feel at their goal weight? I'm afraid once I'm there I still won't be happy. Actually I know I won't, I need a lot of toning yet. And my goal is set 5lbs below my lowest adult weight, so it's going to be difficult to maintain the way it is let alone weigh any less than that. So even though I'm almost done it won't be "over" as far just slipping into maintenance mode. It's really daunting that I'm going to be doing this forever! I guess I just wish sometimes it were easier. But I know it's part of life and I have to deal with it.

I know exactly what you mean!

I'm a bit worried myself that once I get to my goal weight I will be tempted to revise it down a little bit more, but I'm hoping to focus on fitness from there and to just set myself a sensible weight not to go over. I think it will be tricky to get out of the "routine" of counting calories and logging in every day, however I'm hopeful that all of the sensible eating ideas that I have learned will stick with me and that I'll be able to eat sensibly instinctively in the end. Fingers crossed!
  • madisonsteelex
    Options
    Welp, gained a lb this weekend. Hoping its temporary weight but I did eat A LOT
    of crap

We shall see
  • Becky1971
    Becky1971 Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Why would you be getting out of the routine of counting calories and logging in. I don't ever see myself not counting calories, even at maintenance I have to stick to a certain about of calories. I wouldn't be able to maintain any other way.
    I hope everyone is having a good weekend!

It's chilly but gorgeous outside, I think I'm going to go for a walk later.

Is anyone else nervous about how they'll feel at their goal weight? I'm afraid once I'm there I still won't be happy. Actually I know I won't, I need a lot of toning yet. And my goal is set 5lbs below my lowest adult weight, so it's going to be difficult to maintain the way it is let alone weigh any less than that. So even though I'm almost done it won't be "over" as far just slipping into maintenance mode. It's really daunting that I'm going to be doing this forever! I guess I just wish sometimes it were easier. But I know it's part of life and I have to deal with it.

I know exactly what you mean!

I'm a bit worried myself that once I get to my goal weight I will be tempted to revise it down a little bit more, but I'm hoping to focus on fitness from there and to just set myself a sensible weight not to go over. I think it will be tricky to get out of the "routine" of counting calories and logging in every day, however I'm hopeful that all of the sensible eating ideas that I have learned will stick with me and that I'll be able to eat sensibly instinctively in the end. Fingers crossed!
  • holly_v
    holly_v Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    nsv - i can stand in a door way and kick the top of the door frame again. not sure how i need that skill in life but i can do it!
  • hannydee
    hannydee Posts: 246
    Options
    I have 15 to lose now and haven't reached any kind of plateau yet so fingers crossed it keeps dropping off me! I've been losing just over 1 lb a week lately.
  • Shannonigans84
    Options
    Welp, gained a lb this weekend. Hoping its temporary weight but I did eat A LOT
    of crap

We shall see

I was up 2 1/2 lbs this morning! I ate at my calorie goal all weekend. (tried staying away from the scale but I couldn't, oops) I haven't drank much water this weekend so I'm going to focus on that today and hope for a better number tomorrow. It is a bummer though, isn't it!
  • Becky1971
    Options
    I agree! And I think we really have to be open to that. We can do safe things to try to break our plateaus, but at some point we might have to just accept that it's not meant for us to be lower. I really had to look at that when I was unable to get below 125 for so long. But I know that I still had a lot of fat that wasn't suppose to be there. I'm sure of it. So upping the intensity of my workout, accepting that I need to eat gluten free, and increasing my protein, has definitely helped me become leaner, and I dropped below that 125. I think as long as we aren't doing anything "stupid" to try and get to our goal (as long as the goal is reasonable) then it's okay.
    I realize that my reply will get lost with the others but I have a serious, and non-inflammatory question:

Why not just bag it and call it good?

The reason I ask is bc I did some research and there really is a weight we are "meant to be" (I can't recall what it's called-- it's not called "set point" anymore, but it's a similar notion). Also, yo-yo-ing has been found to be more detrimental to your health than being moderately overweight so...

I increased my goal to a whopping 155 which is the upper end of normal for my height. I did so with the hopes of being able to maintain it.

Thoughts?

Debbie
  • Becky1971
    Options
    Just feels good to know you can do it again! Awesome!
    nsv - i can stand in a door way and kick the top of the door frame again. not sure how i need that skill in life but i can do it!