Stupidest diet myths/tips you have ever heard.

Options

Replies

• Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    "I am not going to pass on an apple and sit down to a plate full of bacon."

Yea, that is what a low carb. diet is all about. Maybe you need more carbs. For that brain you were talking about.

My brains are confused... where did I say all people doing low carb eat plates of bacon and pass on apples? Your low carb diet may not be all about that. I would hope that most weren't. But there are some that do... they do pass on the fruits and the veggies and eat the plateful of steak and bacon.

How many brains do you have?

All of them.

Well that would explain a lot....can I please have mine back??

Sorry - nope. I am on the zombie diet. I stock up on brains. High protein... low carb.

But I needz it :sad:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    To take this in a different direction:

'Back in the day' I had a friend that refused to have ice cubes in any of her beverages b/c she had been told that ice makes you gain weight.

I read that by drinking iced water instead of tepid water you can lose 1 lb per year from the extra calories you burn warming the water. Just 7 more years till I'm at my goal weight. Sweet!!
  • tcdawley78
    tcdawley78 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    You can't build muscle on a calorie deficit.. Really? I've been eating at a calorie deficit for most of this year and I can sure as sh** lift heavier weights.. I've also lost 18 pounds.
    Totally agree with this... I've lost 117 lbs (on a 1200 calorie diet). I had almost no muscle tone when I started, and have MUCH larger and stronger muscles now... I get that it's probably because I had so little muscle to begin with, but some people CAN build muscle on a deficit!!

Nope, you can just actually see the muscle after losing the fat

Yeah i dont think you can build muscle at a dificit, although thats my opinion. Im simply thinking about it in this way: Muscle burns more calories than fat and therefore needs more calories to stay intact..? any opinions?

Yes look up, I think it's called "Burn fat and build muscle" somthing like that, anyhow, if you are burning fat as part of your calories being used to build muscle it can be done.

If you are morbidly obese yes because you are using fat stores as energy (calories) to build some muscle, but the gains are still VERY minimal.
    I realize that I don't gain as much as I would if I weren't at a deficit... My problem is with blanket statements that say "no one can do this"... there are exceptions to everything... :-D
  • PB67
    PB67 Posts: 376
    Options
    You can't build muscle on a calorie deficit.. Really? I've been eating at a calorie deficit for most of this year and I can sure as sh** lift heavier weights.. I've also lost 18 pounds.
    Totally agree with this... I've lost 117 lbs (on a 1200 calorie diet). I had almost no muscle tone when I started, and have MUCH larger and stronger muscles now... I get that it's probably because I had so little muscle to begin with, but some people CAN build muscle on a deficit!!

Yeah i dont think you can build muscle at a dificit, although thats my opinion. Im simply thinking about it in this way: Muscle burns more calories than fat and therefore needs more calories to stay intact..? any opinions?

By that logic everyone would lose all their muscle before fat? I don't care what people think I know what I've experienced. I can lift weights that are twice what I could in January. I have been weight training. I can do squats and lunges until I'm bored (without weights - they're in some of my videos).. so IMO this is just false. I'm also a science major and I've taken various biochemistry courses.. very little is set in stone.. this probably has a lot to do with genetics and diet

Strength gains are not the same as muscle gains.

Neural adaptations play a huge role in strength.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options

By that logic everyone would lose all their muscle before fat? I don't care what people think I know what I've experienced. I can lift weights that are twice what I could in January. I have been weight training. I can do squats and lunges until I'm bored (without weights - they're in some of my videos).. so IMO this is just false. I'm also a science major and I've taken various biochemistry courses.. very little is set in stone.. this probably has a lot to do with genetics and diet

I am currently on a cut, and I'm gaining strength but not building muscle. The strength gains are minimal, but they are still gains. Building new muscle tissue comes from:

1. Calorie surplus
    2. Being morbidly obese and using fat stores as energy (calories) to build minimal tissue.
    3. Beginner lifting (newbie gains) or returning to weight training after a long break. (Also minimal gains)
    4. Steroids

Period.
  • Healthyby30
    Healthyby30 Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    someone once told me that counting calories, portion control, healthy eating, and regular exercise would give results. eff that sheizer! i'm drinking pregnant women pee instead.

Lmao
  • martinbeks
    martinbeks Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    gotta say HCG probably takes the cake for me.

Agree with this one. My aunt did it, and I'm not sure how she's keeping it off, but my sis is considering it. I don't want to take any drugs on this journey. Keep it as natural as possible.
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options

I am not a biochemist, but here's the biochemistry-for-dummies version that my doctor gave me: the chemical reaction that burns fatty acids also requires amino acids which are found in protein. The basic rough equation is three parts fat to one part protein. So if you eat a calorie deficit, you are forcing your body to get the energy it needs by burning both stored fat and protein. But it will burn through the fat at a faster rate than the protein, just because of the nature of the chemical reaction & how it works. So if you eat a large enough percentage of protein, you can take in a calorie deficit and still have protein left over, for your body to use to build muscle.

"The RD’s will tell you that protein has four calories per gram, so when you figure your daily intake, budget calories accordingly. But protein is used by the body mostly for maintaining structure and function. Yes, it can be burned as fuel, but really only as a secondary source, and even then, it must be converted to glucose to be utilized. So, depending on the need within the body, the first 10, 20 or 30 grams of protein might go towards repair and growth – not energy. Do we therefore discount those first 30 grams when we “count calories?” Depends..."

More info here, if anyone is interested:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-context-of-calories/
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3M75cYpx2w
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Options
    Bumping because I know this will make me super happy to read tonight after a few alcoholic beverages....
  • doughnutwretch
    doughnutwretch Posts: 498 Member
    Options

I am currently on a cut, and I'm gaining strength but not building muscle. The strength gains are minimal, but they are still gains. Building new muscle tissue comes from:

1. Calorie surplus
    2. Being morbidly obese and using fat stores as energy (calories) to build minimal tissue.
    3. Beginner lifting (newbie gains) or returning to weight training after a long break. (Also minimal gains)
    4. Steroids

Period.

^^ THIS... 100%
  • PB67
    PB67 Posts: 376
    Options
    So if you eat a large enough percentage of protein, you can take in a calorie deficit and still have protein left over, for your body to use to build muscle.

If you are eating a deficit, then there is nothing left over. That's what the word "deficit" means!
  • cbear017
    cbear017 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    First of all.....................Stupidest isnt a word..... lol

To answer your question:

Eliminating carbs entirely is a best practice..... MmmmHmm Sure it is.
    You can gain muscle over night...
    Soda is acceptable as long as its *diet*.....
    Diet pills work.............
    It doesnt matter WHERE my calories come from as long as Im under...
    You dont have to exercise..................
    I can eat *healthy* at Mcdonalds..................... Going to McDonalds for a salad is like going to a *kitten* for a hug.... Riiiight...

Actually, it doesn't matter where your calories come from as long as you're under and you hit your macros (fat, carbs and proteins). I don't exclude any food from my diet. Now I'm not advocating eating McDonald's every day but I do eat it. You've got to have fun with it too. All of this extreme clean eating sounds a lot like orthorexia to me.

So............... I can eat ONLY Ice cream sundae's every single day for the rest of my life and be ripped............. As long as I stay under my calorie goal for the day? Mmmm Nope. Im not saying you have to eat squeaky clean every single day- but for general health it DOES matter WHAT you eat.

Way to twist around what she said.

My words were twisted in the first place. I never said "extreme clean eating" was the answer or the only way to be. I futher never said that you have to "exclude" foods from your diet. It is a fact that to be HEALTHY it does matter WHAT you eat- period. I never referred to "losing weight".

Right, but this thread refers to "diet" myths not healthy eating myths, in case you missed that, and you can successfully diet and eat 'forbidden' foods.
  • jaxdiablo
    jaxdiablo Posts: 580
    Options
    Yup, I knew this was gonna be good...
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options

Can you go refill the popcorn?
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    I'm still reeling from someone saying that "stupidest" isn't a word. :huh:
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options

So if you eat a large enough percentage of protein, you can take in a calorie deficit and still have protein left over, for your body to use to build muscle.

Nope. You think that if I ate 300g of protein, but am only eating 1200 calories a day when my TDEE is 3500-4000 that I'm going to build muscle?

Hello bartender? I'll have what she's ^^ having please.
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options

Can you go refill the popcorn?

Hell no! Don't you know that it has carbs in it? Haven't you been listening?!?!..see how I made it more emphatic with punctuation like that? *nods*
  • SOOZIE429
    SOOZIE429 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    The number one all time stupid myth: YOU NEED CARBS FOR ENERGY.

Amen. Do they give you energy? Yes. Do you NEED them in order to have energy? No.

This ^

And another stupid myth: YOUR BRAIN NEEDS CARBS. WRONG! YOUR BRAIN NEEDS FAT!!
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options

1. Calorie surplus
    4. Steroids

Period.

^^This is the best answer I've seen yet I think!