Stupidest diet myths/tips you have ever heard.

Options

Replies

• PB67
    PB67 Posts: 376
    Options
    Sigh. You are unable to process multiple examples of factual data that are contrary to your position. So I will stop, for you. *sadface*

Sigh, you are unable to differentiate anecdotal claims based on a TV show from actual data. So please stop talking.

You know, that is a good point. So, how about my personal experience of gaining muscle and strength while losing weight? And the experiences of several others who have offered data in this thread?

You guys have a very limited view of how the body works. .It is a very adaptable machine. It's like you think muscle is some magic substance that you can only get by working out while overeating. By that logic, we should be unable to heal injuries while dieting.

Hey biochemist, the plural of anecdote is not statistic.

Correct. But it only takes one contrary example to disprove a scientific hypothesis.

Hypothesis: You cannot gain muscle in a calorie deficit.

Data: I did. She did. So did all those people over there.

Hypothesis: Dis-proven.

Prove it.

How did you measure your "muscle gain"?

How did you measure your caloric balance?

How was it independently verified?
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Sigh. You are unable to process multiple examples of factual data that are contrary to your position. So I will stop, for you. *sadface*

Sigh, you are unable to differentiate anecdotal claims based on a TV show from actual data. So please stop talking.

You know, that is a good point. So, how about my personal experience of gaining muscle and strength while losing weight? And the experiences of several others who have offered data in this thread?

You guys have a very limited view of how the body works. .It is a very adaptable machine. It's like you think muscle is some magic substance that you can only get by working out while overeating. By that logic, we should be unable to heal injuries while dieting.

Correct. But it only takes one contrary example to disprove a scientific hypothesis.

Once again I'll spell it out for you so it's clear because you seem to be thoroughly confused.

Building new muscle tissue: (one, two, three, FOUR ways)

1. Steroids
    2. Calorie Surplus
    3. Morbidly obese humans (minimal gains)
    4. New or returning weight trainers (minimal gains)
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options

First, this assumes we accept your data, which we can't...being completely anecdotal, unsupported, and not normalized. We'd actually need a structured experiment to include you. We don't. People have, however, in various posts in various thread provided evidence that supports the position you're trying to disprove.

Second, that's not even the hypothesis, which as been qualified numerous times.

Grats on your success. It means exactly nothing to the conversation.
  • nanodot
    nanodot Posts: 154 Member
    Options

Once again I'll spell it out for you so it's clear because you seem to be thoroughly confused.

1. Steroids
    2. Calorie Surplus

There seem to be your restated opinions.

Prove it.
  • The_Saint
    The_Saint Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    What are the stupidest diet tips with regards to weightloss/weight gain that some one has given you?. The stupidest one i heard was...Eat breakfast and lunch but dont eat at dinner/evening/night. Oh and 'you dont even need to eat 3 meals a day, just eat one big one'. Obviously i didnt follow either otherwise i wouldve starved to death. Any diet myths of your own?

Myth - MFP Forum Posts are all Fact Based
    Myth - Everyone on MFP knows what they are talking about
    Fact - MFP Forum posts are mostly opinions and conjecture. There is reference to research on occasion but.....as long as there are people involved you are going to get opinion.
    Fact - There are a lot of controversial topics of which there are a lot of experts.

FACT - MY entire post is opinion
  • MrsWibbly
    MrsWibbly Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    My favourite was a friend who while doing weightwatchers, if she went over her allocated points for the day, would then 'give up' on that day and eat loads more, saying she'd start again tomorrow. She also used to save points for the weekend so she could go out drinking. Net effect - at best no weight loss.

Another friend decided to only eat fruit (not sure why) then complained to me after about 3 days of a stomach ache (she got a stiff talking to - which obviously worked as she now eats right and runs marathons!)

I love psuedo science, which is why I have read many 'diet' books like the Atkins book - best comic work I have read in a long time :laugh:
  • jonbey
    jonbey Posts: 8
    Options
    Oh, I just saw an ad for one of the dumbest - acai berries!

The idea that eating a small berry that happens to have a lot of vitamins and antioxidants will help you lose weight is just stupid. Always seeing it on those "1 trick to lose your belly" adverts.
  • joejccva71
    Options

1. Steroids
    2. Calorie Surplus

There seem to be your restated opinions.

Prove it.

She must have ate a calorie deficit.

steroidpic.jpg
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    For each caffeinated drink you consume, you have to drink an extra glass of water...

*head/desk*
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options

1. Steroids
    2. Calorie Surplus

Be careful spelling things out, apparently that's a very punishable offense in these parts.
  • joejccva71
    Options
    Oh and Jay Cutler ate a calorie deficit too...didnt ya know.

cutler.jpg
  • irridia
    irridia Posts: 527 Member
    Options

Not unless you are an overfat beginner or coming off of a layoff.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/adding-muscle-while-losing-fat-qa.html
    [/quote]

So...for a woman to get toned then she must eat a surplus of calories and train like a beast? Because a person of a normal weight as you said cant gain muscle on a calorie deficit?
    [/quote]

That is correct and lift heavy, then when you've built the requisite muscle mass, you keep your lifting at the same weight for maintainance of muscle and go to calorie deficiet to cut the fat... more or less the road I'm heading to, but not certain I want to do the eat even more thing at all, I might just add cardio instead. maybe even go back to HIIT. I'm still increasing weight at this point (as in my lifting) my body weight hasn't changed much, but the muscle is visibly growing and my measurments are consistently going down.
  • sweetxsour35
    Options

"I can't have (insert naughty food item) ever again"

hahaha.
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    gotta say HCG probably takes the cake for me.

Yep. Me too.

My mom freaked on my because my dinner smelled so good and she was on her apple day. The day she is only allowed to eat apples and nothing else..

I'm sorry but who would do a diet where you eat apples for an entire day adn nothing else??

Well that's a diet I could never do - apples and my digestive system do not go together!
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options

1. Steroids
    2. Calorie Surplus

Pretty much this although in category 3 the gains can actually be fairly significant in some instances.

I posted this previously:

In the Wallace study (Wallace, M.B., Mills, B.D., & Browning, C.L. (1997). Effects of cross training on markers of insulin resistance/hyperinsulinemia) a group of 8 men lost an average of 16.3 lbs of fat whilst gaining 9.5 lbs of lean mass under clinical observation over a 14 week period.

However, it should be noted that these men were borderline obese with BF% of around 27 and new to training. Also, the figures cited were an average: some lost more and some less due to genetic factors. In addition, whether this rate of fat loss and lean mass gain would carry on at such a rate once their bodies had adapted to the training is highly dubious.

Other circumstances include where an individual can lose fat whilst gaining lean mass are formerly athletic individuals coming back to training after a layoff. However, their figure will be nothing like the above.

If you don't fall into the above categories then it is highly unlikely you can gain lean mass at the same time losing fat whilst on a calorie deficit.

Like the vast majority of questions in fitness this one is individual specific.

In the Wallace study the water displacement method was used to calculate changes in lean mass (thank you Archimedes...) This is subject to error but better than most methods.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    FxCam_1318698323323.jpg

^^ Calorie deficit for months, lifts heavy 3 times a week. Gets in all my protein.... and no muscle gains! Im still little >.<

Did I miss something? How are all you other ladies gaining on a calorie deficit doing it...?:grumble:
  • DiamondInTheDirt
    DiamondInTheDirt Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    FxCam_1318698323323.jpg

^^ Calorie deficit for months, lifts heavy 3 times a week. Gets in all my protein.... and no muscle gains! Im still little >.<

Did I miss something? How are all you other ladies gaining on a calorie deficit doing it...?:grumble:

How heavy do you lift? and im guessing what you did, - i mean eating at a deficit and strength training, helped tone you up?
  • sarah307
    sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    HCG = stupidest THING EVER.
  • alacyt
    alacyt Posts: 9
    Options
    Stupidest Myths

1. Don't eat at night
    2. Don't eat carbs
    3. Don't eat sugar
    4. Do cardio everyday
    5. Eat more protein
    6. Eat "healthy"
    7. Take a pill
    8. Do lipo
    9. Eat celery/salad all day
    10. Hate food and eating then punish yourself by doing ridiculous amounts of cardio
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    FxCam_1318698323323.jpg

How heavy do you lift? and im guessing what you did, - i mean eating at a deficit and strength training, helped tone you up?

Heavy as I can :]Example: Deadlift max is at 225 and squat is at 170 at the moment. Been stuck there for a while

I would stay it helped me tone at all. Losing the fat around the area might have made me look better but my LBM has not increased at all