Stupidest diet myths/tips you have ever heard.

Options

Replies

• tiggerbounce411
    tiggerbounce411 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    My ALLTIME favorite...."Carbonation will cause cellulite."
  • nanodot
    nanodot Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    The number one all time stupid myth: YOU NEED CARBS FOR ENERGY.

Amen. Do they give you energy? Yes. Do you NEED them in order to have energy? No.

This ^

And another stupid myth: YOUR BRAIN NEEDS CARBS. WRONG! YOUR BRAIN NEEDS FAT!!

You couldn't be more wrong.

Your brain does not need fat at all, in fact it can only use ketone bodies for up to 70% of its energy needs. This ONLY happens if glucose is unavailable.

Right, the brain does require glucose or ketones. It needs about 1 banana's worth of sugar per day.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Yes, I find it offensive to come in and make silly remarks about a lifestyle that others use to get better health gains and get off of medication.

We don't make silly jokes about those of you that are counting calories, so you all should watch your sharp tongues with your silly jokes and such.

You never know what someone else is going through until you have walked a mile in THEIR shoes.

and if you did make "silly jokes" about those who count calories, i'm willing to guess they wouldn't take such great offense as a lot of low carb/paleo/vegan etc zealots tend to do
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,234 Member
    Options
    First of all.....................Stupidest isnt a word..... lol

To answer your question:

Eliminating carbs entirely is a best practice..... MmmmHmm Sure it is.
    You can gain muscle over night...
    Soda is acceptable as long as its *diet*.....
    Diet pills work.............
    It doesnt matter WHERE my calories come from as long as Im under...
    You dont have to exercise..................
    I can eat *healthy* at Mcdonalds..................... Going to McDonalds for a salad is like going to a *kitten* for a hug.... Riiiight...

Actually, it doesn't matter where your calories come from as long as you're under and you hit your macros (fat, carbs and proteins). I don't exclude any food from my diet. Now I'm not advocating eating McDonald's every day but I do eat it. You've got to have fun with it too. All of this extreme clean eating sounds a lot like orthorexia to me.

So............... I can eat ONLY Ice cream sundae's every single day for the rest of my life and be ripped............. As long as I stay under my calorie goal for the day? Mmmm Nope. Im not saying you have to eat squeaky clean every single day- but for general health it DOES matter WHAT you eat.

The reply didn't say that at all. If you only ate ice cream sundaes you would not be meeting your macro nutrient requirements. Having said that, you could eat one ice cream sundae every day and eat within your calories and macros and lose weight and be healthy.
  • Healthyby30
    Healthyby30 Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I'm still reeling from someone saying that "stupidest" isn't a word. :huh:

So is it a word? Because the person who said it made me feel stupid for using the word in my topic lol

Yes it is a word, you shouldn't feel stupid, but they should! :wink:
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    Yup, I knew this was gonna be good...

Can you go refill the popcorn?

Hell no! Don't you know that it has carbs in it? Haven't you been listening?!?!..see how I made it more emphatic with punctuation like that? *nods*

Is impressed with your punctuation skills :love:
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    "I am not going to pass on an apple and sit down to a plate full of bacon."

Yea, that is what a low carb. diet is all about. Maybe you need more carbs. For that brain you were talking about.

Obviously you have no idea what a low carb diet is or these comments would not be stated.

A low carb lifestyle consists of eating WHOLE foods in the form of proteins, fats, vegetables, fruits, nuts and seeds. Some low / controlled carb lifestyles such as Atkins you will add back in dairy, grains, legumes later as you move up the carb ladder.

Please stop with the nonsense or it will be reported, the smart alleck comments are not going to be tolerated as there are MANY of us here that are on Low Carb Lifestyle plans because we have PCOS, Diabetes, Thyroid disorders or even epilepsy.

Stop making the comments to put others down, especially when you are spouting a bunch of nonsense.

I was not clear in my original post - I was aiming that statement at super low carb and no-carb diets. I think we all struggle to find that right balance of macro nutrients that satisfies us, keeps us healthy and helps us lose. Low carb works great for a lot of people... what scares me is when people talk about eating absolutley no carbs. Or limiting carbs so low that it may as well be none.

For the record - I did not spout nonsese. I said I will not pass on an apple to sit down to a plate full of bacon. That is just something I am not going to do. I would feel ill afterwords and I am just not going to do it. I have read diets that recommended high amounts of fatty protein and forbids fruits b/c of the carbs. That has absolutley nothing to do with what you eat. I have no idea what you eat. There are a lot of people out there who think low carb means bacon instead of apples - THOSE are the people I was knocking. NOT YOU. And CERTAINLY not anyone with "PCOS, Diabetes, Thyroid disorders or even epilepsy." Good grief!

I thought this was supposed to be a thread about silly things people had heard. Passing on apples to eat bacon IS silly.

Well, you are knocking someone who has PCOS, Diabetes and Thyroid disorder who has been ORDERED by a Registered Dietician and her Diabetic Endocrinologist to NOT consume more than 10 grams of carbs PER DAY to control my blood sugar because my thyroid is rebelling against my body and building up antibodies which is making it virtually impossible for me to lose any weight at all..............

So, I can no longer eat ANY fruit and I eat very low carb vegetables so that I can stay at or under the 10 grams of carbs per day.

Yes, I find it offensive to come in and make silly remarks about a lifestyle that others use to get better health gains and get off of medication.

We don't make silly jokes about those of you that are counting calories, so you all should watch your sharp tongues with your silly jokes and such.

You never know what someone else is going through until you have walked a mile in THEIR shoes.

Yes - but I would also knock a VLC diet or a liquid only diet - for anyone that was just doing it to do. Anyone doing a VLC diet or liquid diet for medical reasons under a Drs. care is a whole different story. Maybe I should have worded it differently... I think people using "low carb" as an excuse to eat bacon instead of fruit is silly.
  • doobabe
    doobabe Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    First of all.....................Stupidest isnt a word..... lol

To answer your question:

Eliminating carbs entirely is a best practice..... MmmmHmm Sure it is.
    You can gain muscle over night...
    Soda is acceptable as long as its *diet*.....
    Diet pills work.............
    It doesnt matter WHERE my calories come from as long as Im under...
    You dont have to exercise..................
    I can eat *healthy* at Mcdonalds..................... Going to McDonalds for a salad is like going to a *kitten* for a hug.... Riiiight...

Actually, it doesn't matter where your calories come from as long as you're under and you hit your macros (fat, carbs and proteins). I don't exclude any food from my diet. Now I'm not advocating eating McDonald's every day but I do eat it. You've got to have fun with it too. All of this extreme clean eating sounds a lot like orthorexia to me.

So............... I can eat ONLY Ice cream sundae's every single day for the rest of my life and be ripped............. As long as I stay under my calorie goal for the day? Mmmm Nope. Im not saying you have to eat squeaky clean every single day- but for general health it DOES matter WHAT you eat.

ACTUALLY THIS IS CORRECT.

Michael Phelps is a great example. He consumes 12,000 calories a day. His metabolic rate is so high he burns whatever he eats. Would I try this? Heck no! But my son is like this. He's 21 and has been swimming since he was 5. He's always been ripped to shreds.

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/blog/fourth_place_medal/post/Michael-Phelps-eats-12-000-calories-per-day?urn=oly-100671
    Wed Aug 13 09:15pm EDT

Michael Phelps eats 12,000 calories per day
    By Chris Chase
    After he retires from swimming, Michael Phelps might want to try his hand at competitive eating. The Olympic star recently said he consumes 12,000 calories per day, or 9,500 more than the FDA recommends for an active, young male.

Phelps has to keep his intake up in order to compensate for all the calories he burns during the 30-hours per week he spends in training. He told NBC that an average day might have the following menu:

Breakfast: 3 fried egg sandwiches, 2 cups coffee, 5-egg omlette, bowl of grits, 3 pieces of french toast, 3 chocolate chip pancakes

Lunch: 1 pound pasta, 2 ham and cheese sandwiches, energy drink (1,000 calorie)

Dinner: 1 pound pasta, 1 large pizza, energy drink (1,000 calorie)

Three years ago, Phelps told an interviewer:

I eat pretty much whatever I want. I don't have a strict diet. It's all about cramming in as many calories into my system as I possibly can. To be honest with you, I have a tough time keeping weight on.

Michael better be careful there. There's no surer way to turn new female fans into former female fans than by complaining about how hard it is to keep on weight.

Photo via Getty Images

SO ITS not FOR EVERYONE BUT IT IS POSSIBLE..UNLESS YOU THINK MICHAEL PHELPS IS FAT!

That has ZERO to do with what I said. I spoke of QUALITY and your speaking of QUANTITY. I personally eat a lot too because I have a fast metabolism- Im pretty sure Michael Phelps doesnt eat ice cream sundae's all day every day- and thats what I said. ;o)
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    I'm still reeling from someone saying that "stupidest" isn't a word. :huh:

Me too...that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard!
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    my gym teacher in high school told us stretching (like sit and reach) burned sooooo much fat in your legs and if people knew that they wouldn't be so fat......she was fired like 2 months after working there.
  • Gigi_licious
    Options

Hell no! Don't you know that it has carbs in it? Haven't you been listening?!?!..see how I made it more emphatic with punctuation like that? *nods*

But I NEED carbs to have energy. Memba?
  • nani726
    nani726 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    but what if we wash it down with ice cold pee?

• nanodot
    nanodot Posts: 154 Member
    Options

Of course your body can operate at a deficit and build muscle at the same time. You do need some fat to burn, but kids in Boot camp do it all the time, and they aren't morbidly obese. If you give your body an imperative to build muscle, It will burn fat to build muscle. The body is smart and adaptable.

I remember watching some PBS show about people pretending to be settlers from the 1800's, actually farming by hand and building cabins and stuff. This one guy was ordinary-American-plump-and-wimpy at the start of the show. By the end of the show (12 weeks?) he was RIPPED with muscle, skinny, and actually starting to worry about starving to death because he was a lousy farmer. But he sure built muscle in a deficit.

::facepalm::

shhhhhhh

I'm a biochemist.

*pats you on the head*
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    but what if we wash it down with ice cold pee?

Well, yes obviously. I think we all know that if you're washing it down with urine, it burns all the calories before your insulin spikes. That's like, dieting 101.
  • Teliooo
    Teliooo Posts: 725 Member
    Options

Yea, that is what a low carb. diet is all about. Maybe you need more carbs. For that brain you were talking about.

Obviously you have no idea what a low carb diet is or these comments would not be stated.

A low carb lifestyle consists of eating WHOLE foods in the form of proteins, fats, vegetables, fruits, nuts and seeds. Some low / controlled carb lifestyles such as Atkins you will add back in dairy, grains, legumes later as you move up the carb ladder.

Please stop with the nonsense or it will be reported, the smart alleck comments are not going to be tolerated as there are MANY of us here that are on Low Carb Lifestyle plans because we have PCOS, Diabetes, Thyroid disorders or even epilepsy.

Stop making the comments to put others down, especially when you are spouting a bunch of nonsense.

I was not clear in my original post - I was aiming that statement at super low carb and no-carb diets. I think we all struggle to find that right balance of macro nutrients that satisfies us, keeps us healthy and helps us lose. Low carb works great for a lot of people... what scares me is when people talk about eating absolutley no carbs. Or limiting carbs so low that it may as well be none.

For the record - I did not spout nonsese. I said I will not pass on an apple to sit down to a plate full of bacon. That is just something I am not going to do. I would feel ill afterwords and I am just not going to do it. I have read diets that recommended high amounts of fatty protein and forbids fruits b/c of the carbs. That has absolutley nothing to do with what you eat. I have no idea what you eat. There are a lot of people out there who think low carb means bacon instead of apples - THOSE are the people I was knocking. NOT YOU. And CERTAINLY not anyone with "PCOS, Diabetes, Thyroid disorders or even epilepsy." Good grief!

I thought this was supposed to be a thread about silly things people had heard. Passing on apples to eat bacon IS silly.

Well, you are knocking someone who has PCOS, Diabetes and Thyroid disorder who has been ORDERED by a Registered Dietician and her Diabetic Endocrinologist to NOT consume more than 10 grams of carbs PER DAY to control my blood sugar because my thyroid is rebelling against my body and building up antibodies which is making it virtually impossible for me to lose any weight at all..............

So, I can no longer eat ANY fruit and I eat very low carb vegetables so that I can stay at or under the 10 grams of carbs per day.

You took his comment to personally as it obviously struck a nerve with you. He did not mock you or anyone with PCOS. Nothing of the sort, because you are on this sort of low carb diet, you chose to took it personally. He was mocking people who choose to eat things like bacon over eating an apple such as the Atkins diet (mainly people that even follow this wrong. I work with a woman who was mocking the fact that I was eating a packet of crisps and she proceeded to show me what she had eaten that week., It was literally all fat such as 6 eggs in one sitting, loads of bacon and so on. She insisted that her diet was healthier than mine because she ate no like a piece of broccoli a day for her carb intake. She then proceeded to go and buy and eat two packets or pork scratchings as they were low in carbs. This sort of lifestyle is ludicrous and impossible to maintain. That is what he was getting at, not YOUR medical need. Stop taking things so personally.

Yes people do things for medical reasons, but not 99% of people on these ridiculous diets.
  • scraver2003
    Options

I have no problem with anyone eating whatever diet they want, including low carb. But to suggest that everyone eating a low carb diet eats WHOLE foods is not true. There are plenty of non-whole food low carb options out there and people eat them. Atkins has a whole line of low carb processed foods.

^^ This.
    I am very bad with words and do not explain myself well.
  • scraver2003
    Options

You took his comment to personally as it obviously struck a nerve with you. He did not mock you or anyone with PCOS. Nothing of the sort, because you are on this sort of low carb diet, you chose to took it personally. He was mocking people who choose to eat things like bacon over eating an apple such as the Atkins diet (mainly people that even follow this wrong. I work with a woman who was mocking the fact that I was eating a packet of crisps and she proceeded to show me what she had eaten that week., It was literally all fat such as 6 eggs in one sitting, loads of bacon and so on. She insisted that her diet was healthier than mine because she ate no like a piece of broccoli a day for her carb intake. She then proceeded to go and buy and eat two packets or pork scratchings as they were low in carbs. This sort of lifestyle is ludicrous and impossible to maintain. That is what he was getting at, not YOUR medical need. Stop taking things so personally.

Yes people do things for medical reasons, but not 99% of people on these ridiculous diets.

^^Yes! Thank you.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    You can't build muscle on a calorie deficit.. Really? I've been eating at a calorie deficit for most of this year and I can sure as sh** lift heavier weights.. I've also lost 18 pounds.
    Totally agree with this... I've lost 117 lbs (on a 1200 calorie diet). I had almost no muscle tone when I started, and have MUCH larger and stronger muscles now... I get that it's probably because I had so little muscle to begin with, but some people CAN build muscle on a deficit!!

Nope, you can just actually see the muscle after losing the fat

Yeah i dont think you can build muscle at a dificit, although thats my opinion. Im simply thinking about it in this way: Muscle burns more calories than fat and therefore needs more calories to stay intact..? any opinions?

By that logic everyone would lose all their muscle before fat? I don't care what people think I know what I've experienced. I can lift weights that are twice what I could in January. I have been weight training. I can do squats and lunges until I'm bored (without weights - they're in some of my videos).. so IMO this is just false. I'm also a science major and I've taken various biochemistry courses.. very little is set in stone.. this probably has a lot to do with genetics and diet

I am currently on a cut, and I'm gaining strength but not building muscle. The strength gains are minimal, but they are still gains. Building new muscle tissue comes from:

1. Calorie surplus
    2. Being morbidly obese and using fat stores as energy (calories) to build minimal tissue.
    3. Beginner lifting (newbie gains) or returning to weight training after a long break. (Also minimal gains)
    4. Steroids

Period.

^^ THIS... 100%

Of course your body can operate at a deficit and build muscle at the same time. You do need some fat to burn, but kids in Boot camp do it all the time, and they aren't morbidly obese. If you give your body an imperative to build muscle, It will burn fat to build muscle. The body is smart and adaptable.

I remember watching some PBS show about people pretending to be settlers from the 1800's, actually farming by hand and building cabins and stuff. This one guy was ordinary-American-plump-and-wimpy at the start of the show. By the end of the show (12 weeks?) he was RIPPED with muscle, skinny, and actually starting to worry about starving to death because he was a lousy farmer. But he sure built muscle in a deficit.

1. You cannot compare kids to an adult. Kids grow new tissue.

2. Once again, you don't know the details of what he ate, what he did as a wanna-be farmer, and his body stats. Also being ripped doesn't mean he built muscle. He might have had minimal gains but he burned the fat off his body so it appeared he had built alot of mass.

Please just stop.
  • Teliooo
    Teliooo Posts: 725 Member
    Options

^^Yes! Thank you.

Sorry, her not him. lol
  • Gigi_licious
    Options

My brains are confused... where did I say all people doing low carb eat plates of bacon and pass on apples? Your low carb diet may not be all about that. I would hope that most weren't. But there are some that do... they do pass on the fruits and the veggies and eat the plateful of steak and bacon.

How many brains do you have?

All of them.

Well that would explain a lot....can I please have mine back??

Sorry - nope. I am on the zombie diet. I stock up on brains. High protein... low carb.

But I needz it :sad:

I can't figure out how to post pictures... ~sigh~ I picked out a nice Zombie wanting brains...

I don't know how to do that either....probably because you ate my brain.