Stupidest diet myths/tips you have ever heard.

Options
What are the stupidest diet tips with regards to weightloss/weight gain that some one has given you?. The stupidest one i heard was...Eat breakfast and lunch but dont eat at dinner/evening/night. Oh and 'you dont even need to eat 3 meals a day, just eat one big one'. Obviously i didnt follow either otherwise i wouldve starved to death. Any diet myths of your own?

Replies

• jaxdiablo
    jaxdiablo Posts: 580
    Options
    *gets lawn chair and popcorn*
    This is gonna be good...
  • armymil
    armymil Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    *gets lawn chair and popcorn*
    This is gonna be good...

Yeah, I agree...I wonder if I can troll?

Protein shakes don't work?
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    gotta say HCG probably takes the cake for me.
  • PANZERIA
    PANZERIA Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    "Women should only have a yogurt and half a piece of fruit for breakfast if they want to lose weight."

"If a woman does weights, she will end up bulky and butch."
  • DiamondInTheDirt
    DiamondInTheDirt Posts: 117 Member
    Options

Yeah only eat 3 calories per day and it will boost your metabolism. lol
  • doughnutwretch
    doughnutwretch Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat...

Seriously?
  • galaxyhearts
    galaxyhearts Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I once had a stupid doctor, who told me to eat one less of everything.

It sounds valid, but he advised me that I could still eat McDonalds and if I just ate one less french fry than I normally ate that would help me lose weight.

LOL.
  • Jackie9950
    Jackie9950 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Chew your food into tiny bites
    And if you have to splurge on junk food take a laxative afterwards!
    LOL
  • LisaKyle11
    LisaKyle11 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    hcg....:noway:
  • p0stdramatic
    Options

This ^. *sigh*
  • rmsrws
    rmsrws Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Don't eat anything past 6:00pm!
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    I think thin = healthy is a pretty stupid myth. I know someone who lives on cigarettes & beer but wears a size 6 so thinks she is healthier than I am tho she can't climb the stairs (that I run on) to my apartment
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    What are the stupidest diet tips with regards to weightloss/weight gain that some one has given you?. The stupidest one i heard was...Eat breakfast and lunch but dont eat at dinner/evening/night. Oh and 'you dont even need to eat 3 meals a day, just eat one big one'. Obviously i didnt follow either otherwise i wouldve starved to death. Any diet myths of your own?

what's wrong with just eating 1 big meal a day?

"only carbs make you fat"
    "keto diets offer a metabolic advantage"
    "you have to eat breakfast"
    "increased meal frequency boosts metabolism"
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I am torn between HCG and cleanses...
  • adpollard001
    Options
    Eating only one meal will cause your body to panic at the fear of starvation, and you'll store most of what you eat, but I have heard the "eat once a day" theory. The stupidest advice I've ever heard? "Eat what makes you happy". To me, that's the reason (or one of the top) why obesity is so rampant. There are some great tasting foods and meals out there but people would rather hit up a fast food place (they told me this as they opened up their bag of Wendy's...the third for the week).
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    "Oh, you gained weight! It must be muscle."

Muscle takes a LONG time to gain and you cannot grow any eating at a calorie deficit!
  • ohthelawd
    ohthelawd Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm going to catch hell for this, but I think any of the ultra-low or no-carb diets are joke. Are you going to lose weight? Yes. Will you have any energy to actually exercise and get in better shape? Nope. Are you going to blimp beyond your original weight once you start eating bread again? Yessir. Would you have been better off adopting sensible eating habits and an exercise plan? Indeed.

I know a lot of people swear by them (while they're on them, at least), but I've seen too many people end up weighing more and being in worse shape in the long run. No thanks. I'd rather lose 10lbs/month and actually KEEP it off.

-Nathan
  • kimmisue2009
    kimmisue2009 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The eat twelve Tums a day and the swallow cotton balls to fill up your stomach are two of my favorite ones. Yes, there are some truly disturbed people out there.

And neither one works.
  • jonbey
    jonbey Posts: 8
    Options
    Not actually diet, but fitness related. Years ago (10?) I joined a gym and the gym instructor that did my induction told me that if you do not stretch after weight training you lose out on 75% of the possible gains. Utter nonsense.

Trying to think of wacky diet things. Obvious accupressure beads are near the top. HCG is also another dumb thing. OK, it does work, but like beads it only works when you follow the stoopid 500 Calories a day "diet".

Really, it is all nonsense. We get fat from eating too much. Lose weight by eating too little and exercising! At least, that's the plan ....
  • DiamondInTheDirt
    DiamondInTheDirt Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I once had a stupid doctor, who told me to eat one less of everything.

It sounds valid, but he advised me that I could still eat McDonalds and if I just ate one less french fry than I normally ate that would help me lose weight.

LOL.

LOL! One of my friends went a long to see a dietician and i went with her. She was told to write down everything she ate over the week. She comes back the next week and the dietician looks over her food intake...and my friend drinks like one 2 litre bottle of coke every day....and the dietician said..you should aim for just two glasses of coke everyday...and i was like WOW. shes definitely gonna loose weight with this advice!