Stupidest diet myths/tips you have ever heard.

Options

Replies

• AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I think thin = healthy is a pretty stupid myth. I know someone who lives on cigarettes & beer but wears a size 6 so thinks she is healthier than I am tho she can't climb the stairs (that I run on) to my apartment

Amen! Meth addicts & anorexics are thin, too!
  • n_unocero
    n_unocero Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    someone at lunch mentioned something about fat turning into muscle...sent me into a lecture how that actually doesnt happen. lol
  • ohthelawd
    ohthelawd Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Actually, it does by volume. It's denser.
  • p0stdramatic
    Options
    "Oh, you gained weight! It must be muscle."

AND this ^

And, after doing low carb years ago and getting an injury while trying to work out, I am very anti low-carb.
  • CoCoMa
    CoCoMa Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Doing cardio on an empty stomach burns more total fat for the day!

I think my mom told me this one!!
  • DiamondInTheDirt
    DiamondInTheDirt Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    What are the stupidest diet tips with regards to weightloss/weight gain that some one has given you?. The stupidest one i heard was...Eat breakfast and lunch but dont eat at dinner/evening/night. Oh and 'you dont even need to eat 3 meals a day, just eat one big one'. Obviously i didnt follow either otherwise i wouldve starved to death. Any diet myths of your own?

what's wrong with just eating 1 big meal a day?

"only carbs make you fat"
    "keto diets offer a metabolic advantage"
    "you have to eat breakfast"
    "increased meal frequency boosts metabolism"

Eating one big meal a day = hunger pangs.
  • jonbey
    jonbey Posts: 8
    Options
    I'm going to catch hell for this, but I think any of the ultra-low or no-carb diets are joke.
    -Nathan

Yeah, I read some research a while back on different diets. Low carb diets do tend to speed up weight loss in the early stages (first month maybe, cannot remember all the details) but over a 1 year period all diets perform equally well. It really is down to the person doing the dieting / exercising and not what specific plan they are on.
  • Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    For me it's the "don't eat after 7pm" rule. It's like we'll turn into Gremlins or something.

HCG is worse, but I don't consider it a tip.
  • karinaes
    karinaes Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    *gets lawn chair and popcorn*
    This is gonna be good...
    hahahahahahaha!!!

and to answer... HCG & hardly eating anything.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat...

Seriously?

In one hand I have a pound muscle, and the other a pound of fat. I'm confused!
  • dani731
    dani731 Posts: 9 Member
    Options

Seriously?

OMG I HATE when people say this!!!
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    From the "Dukan Diet"...vegetarians are a sub-human species. Threw the book in the garbage immedeatly.
  • nani726
    nani726 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    yeah, a lb of muscle is totally heavier than a lb of fat! bwuahahahaha
  • bprague
    bprague Posts: 564 Member
    Options

Seriously?
    by volume this is true
  • KatyRing
    KatyRing Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    There are medical conditions where low carb diets are best.... just saying.

As a women with PCOS(look it up) I find it ridiculous when someone tells me to just each a wel balance diet...beacuse even counting my calories i will not lose weight unless i cut the carbs.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    1. Carbs make you fat
    2. "I don't want to lift weights or I'll get all bulky n *kitten*"
    3. Saturated fats are the debbil.
    4. Protein will make you lose weight and burn fat.
    5. Make sure you eat 5-7 small meals a day every 2 hours so it boosts your metabolism.
    6. Don't eat late at night or you'll turn into a Gremlin.
    7. Sugar is also the debbil.
    8. Fruit is bad for you cause of #7.
    9. My research, science, and studies are better than your research, science and studies.

10. Joejccva71 is a horrible and mean man. He hurt my feelings today.
  • DiamondInTheDirt
    DiamondInTheDirt Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I'm going to catch hell for this, but I think any of the ultra-low or no-carb diets are joke. Are you going to lose weight? Yes. Will you have any energy to actually exercise and get in better shape? Nope. Are you going to blimp beyond your original weight once you start eating bread again? Yessir. Would you have been better off adopting sensible eating habits and an exercise plan? Indeed.

I know a lot of people swear by them (while they're on them, at least), but I've seen too many people end up weighing more and being in worse shape in the long run. No thanks. I'd rather lose 10lbs/month and actually KEEP it off.

-Nathan

I know exactly what you mean. If i ever did the low carb diet i would probably black-out on the first few hours of it. People need carbs, as we need energy.
  • JennW130
    JennW130 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    if you eat under 1200 even for just one day your body will automatically shut off the fat burning and immediately go into starvation mode and your body will hold on to every single calorie it can.
  • deathstarclock
    deathstarclock Posts: 512 Member
    Options

Seriously?

ftw_mug.jpg
  • flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options

Seriously?

This is actually true:
    Not sure about the numbers, but the idea is the following: "Muscle density is 1.06 g/ml and fat density is (about) 0.9 g/ml. Thus, one liter of muscle would weight 1.06 kg and one liter of fat would weight 0.9 kg."

Just to explain, it's about weight of the same volume:
    Basically, 1 cubic metre of lead will weight more than 1 cubic metre of wood (won't you agree?).
    Well, same with muscles and fat.