Stupidest diet myths/tips you have ever heard.

Options

Replies

• 623Hernandez
    Options
    "I am not going to pass on an apple and sit down to a plate full of bacon."

Yea, that is what a low carb. diet is all about. Maybe you need more carbs. For that brain you were talking about.
  • k2quiere
    k2quiere Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    Going to McDonalds for a salad is like going to a *kitten* for a hug.... Riiiight...

Brilliant!
  • nani726
    nani726 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    *gets lawn chair and popcorn*
    This is gonna be good...

Do you have a chair for me? If not, I'll just sit in your lap....here, I'll hold the popcorn.

make that 2, wait..is that a lb of popcorn, cause you know, it weighs less than a lb of muscle..lol
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    There are medical conditions where low carb diets are best.... just saying.

As a women with PCOS(look it up) I find it ridiculous when someone tells me to just each a wel balance diet...beacuse even counting my calories i will not lose weight unless i cut the carbs.

I appreciate somebody saying this. I also have PCOS and every doctor I've talked to has told me that lowering my carbs is going to help me lose weight better, and since I've done that I've lost consistently. Every other time I've tried eating better, but balancing everything out with a higher % of carbs, I don't lose consistently and sometimes not at all.

All different people do differently on different diets. What gets me are the people claiming to eat "no carbs". Or that low carb is good for everybody.
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    People actually eat cotton balls?
  • dani731
    dani731 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat...

Seriously?

This is actually true:

Just to explain, it's about weight of the same volume:
    Basically, 1 cubic metre of lead will weight more than 1 cubic metre of wood (won't you agree?).
    Well, same with muscles and fat.

I get your theory but you are still confused. 1lb is 1lb no matter what the object is. Muscle DOES NOT weigh more than fat. It simply takes up less space, hense your density theory. So if you lose 10lbs of fat but gain 10lbs of muscle you will weigh the same but look smaller. No one should say that muscle weighs more than fat, the correct thing to say is that muscle takes up less space than fat.
  • mill1295
    mill1295 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    You can't build muscle on a calorie deficit.. Really? I've been eating at a calorie deficit for most of this year and I can sure as sh** lift heavier weights.. I've also lost 18 pounds.
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    I'm going to catch hell for this, but I think any of the ultra-low or no-carb diets are joke. Are you going to lose weight? Yes. Will you have any energy to actually exercise and get in better shape? Nope. Are you going to blimp beyond your original weight once you start eating bread again? Yessir. Would you have been better off adopting sensible eating habits and an exercise plan? Indeed.

I know a lot of people swear by them (while they're on them, at least), but I've seen too many people end up weighing more and being in worse shape in the long run. No thanks. I'd rather lose 10lbs/month and actually KEEP it off.

-Nathan

What happens when you stope eating "Sensible"
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I'm going to catch hell for this, but I think any of the ultra-low or no-carb diets are joke. Are you going to lose weight? Yes. Will you have any energy to actually exercise and get in better shape? Nope. Are you going to blimp beyond your original weight once you start eating bread again? Yessir. Would you have been better off adopting sensible eating habits and an exercise plan? Indeed.

I know a lot of people swear by them (while they're on them, at least), but I've seen too many people end up weighing more and being in worse shape in the long run. No thanks. I'd rather lose 10lbs/month and actually KEEP it off.

-Nathan

This depends entirely on your metabolism. You know how you have friends who are perfectly healthy on vegan or vegetarian diets, and friends who are perfectly healthy eating mostly meat? Some people's metabolisms process certain types of foods more efficiently than others. This is a scientific fact. For some people, low-carb is exactly what they need. For others, it's not. My doctor is the one who put me on low-carb, and it has been one of the best things that ever happened to me.

It is a myth to say that ANY diet can be applied to and will work perfectly for EVERYONE. But the benefits of low-carb diets for people with certain metabolisms (as well as both type I and II diabetics, epileptics, and PCOS sufferers) are well-documented and scientific.
  • Jackie9950
    Jackie9950 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    1. Carbs make you fat
    2. "I don't want to lift weights or I'll get all bulky n *kitten*"
    3. Saturated fats are the debbil.
    4. Protein will make you lose weight and burn fat.
    5. Make sure you eat 5-7 small meals a day every 2 hours so it boosts your metabolism.
    6. Don't eat late at night or you'll turn into a Gremlin.
    7. Sugar is also the debbil.
    8. Fruit is bad for you cause of #7.
    9. My research, science, and studies are better than your research, science and studies.

10. Joejccva71 is a horrible and mean man. He hurt my feelings today.

Oh no! I was under the assumption that eating small meals every 2-3 hours DID boost your metabolism. Crap! Why is it that nothing you ever read is true! It's so frusterating! You just burst my happy bubble LOL!
  • ohthelawd
    ohthelawd Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I just always assumed that the "by volume" was intrinsic to the context. i.e. the point being made is that you can have 2 people, both weighing 175 pounds, and one can be in the best/ripped shape of their life and the other one can be in terrible shape.
  • siems56
    siems56 Posts: 28
    Options
    Yes the HCG thing is dumb, I had to take HCG to help me get Pregnant, and not because I wanted too. Crazy
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    "I am not going to pass on an apple and sit down to a plate full of bacon."

Yea, that is what a low carb. diet is all about. Maybe you need more carbs. For that brain you were talking about.

My brains are confused... where did I say all people doing low carb eat plates of bacon and pass on apples? Your low carb diet may not be all about that. I would hope that most weren't. But there are some that do... they do pass on the fruits and the veggies and eat the plateful of steak and bacon.
  • aj_rock
    aj_rock Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    You WILL not succeed as well as me if you don't do everything the EXACT way I did! :P
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    It's one thing to say it weighs more BY VOLUME. But if it's not qualified with that statement it is flat wrong. Most people say it without including the 'by volume' part, which IS wrong.
    It isn't wrong, it's just that people assume you are smart enough to know that of course we are talking about BY VOLUME. It's freaking obvious. Why on earth would you try to compare a pound of something to a pound of something else? That's seriously ignorant.
  • k2quiere
    k2quiere Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    There are medical conditions where low carb diets are best.... just saying.

As a women with PCOS(look it up) I find it ridiculous when someone tells me to just each a wel balance diet...beacuse even counting my calories i will not lose weight unless i cut the carbs.

Tell them about it girl! PCOS here too.

PCOS does not automatically mean carb restriction will work. Restricting anything will work in the short term. I have PCOS, and I've done low carb, and yes, I lost weight, about 35lbs in 3 months. I was also more conscious of what I was eating in general and working out. I stopped working out, got a little laxed in what I was eating and gained back 50lbs. I've since lost those 50 again in 4 months by simply being conscious of what I'm eating in general and working out regularly. I can continue this for life; I could not continue the low carb for life, especially not when the ONLY excuse for doing so is my weight.
  • tisamg
    tisamg Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Bump...
  • ohthelawd
    ohthelawd Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    >Just to explain, it's about weight of the same volume:
    >Basically, 1 cubic metre of lead will weight more than 1 cubic metre of wood (won't you agree?).
    >Well, same with muscles and fat.

Yeah, by weight. Lol...
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    1. Carbs make you fat
    2. "I don't want to lift weights or I'll get all bulky n *kitten*"
    3. Saturated fats are the debbil.
    4. Protein will make you lose weight and burn fat.
    5. Make sure you eat 5-7 small meals a day every 2 hours so it boosts your metabolism.
    6. Don't eat late at night or you'll turn into a Gremlin.
    7. Sugar is also the debbil.
    8. Fruit is bad for you cause of #7.
    9. My research, science, and studies are better than your research, science and studies.

10. Joejccva71 is a horrible and mean man. He hurt my feelings today.

:sad:
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    someone once told me that counting calories, portion control, healthy eating, and regular exercise would give results. eff that sheizer! i'm drinking pregnant women pee instead.