Stupidest diet myths/tips you have ever heard.

Options

Replies

• cgraylyon
    cgraylyon Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    My super sweet husband who is addicted to sweets told me he was switching to twizzlers from ice cream because they don't have any fat. LMAO!!!
  • JennW130
    JennW130 Posts: 460 Member
    Options

6. Don't eat late at night or you'll turn into a Gremlin.

i did a few nights ago...but there was lots of alcohol involved too : :drinker:
  • Izable2011
    Izable2011 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    gotta say HCG probably takes the cake for me.

^ This ^
  • Shell_7609
    Shell_7609 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    HCG and don't eat after a certain time of day
  • Bankman1989
    Bankman1989 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options

???? You mean eating 500 cals a day doesn't work????

I'm not even nice about it anymore. My girl asked me about it and I talked about so bad she called her friend and told her how awful it was.

I also heard you should eat back ALL of your calories and one person wrote "that's where you eat the cheat foods"..

i had no choice but to delete her.
  • doobabe
    doobabe Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    First of all.....................Stupidest isnt a word..... lol

To answer your question:

Eliminating carbs entirely is a best practice..... MmmmHmm Sure it is.
    You can gain muscle over night...
    Soda is acceptable as long as its *diet*.....
    Diet pills work.............
    It doesnt matter WHERE my calories come from as long as Im under...
    You dont have to exercise..................
    I can eat *healthy* at Mcdonalds..................... Going to McDonalds for a salad is like going to a *kitten* for a hug.... Riiiight...
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    Skip even one meal and you'll get fat because you'll go into starvation mode.

Oh and anything but water dehydrates you,
  • czechsmate
    czechsmate Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    The eat twelve Tums a day and the swallow cotton balls to fill up your stomach are two of my favorite ones. Yes, there are some truly disturbed people out there.

:noway: :huh:
  • GreenLifeGirl
    GreenLifeGirl Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I once had a stupid doctor, who told me to eat one less of everything.

It sounds valid, but he advised me that I could still eat McDonalds and if I just ate one less french fry than I normally ate that would help me lose weight.

LOL.

wow, that IS really stupid. lol!
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I'm going to catch hell for this, but I think any of the ultra-low or no-carb diets are joke. Are you going to lose weight? Yes. Will you have any energy to actually exercise and get in better shape? Nope. Are you going to blimp beyond your original weight once you start eating bread again? Yessir. Would you have been better off adopting sensible eating habits and an exercise plan? Indeed.

I know a lot of people swear by them (while they're on them, at least), but I've seen too many people end up weighing more and being in worse shape in the long run. No thanks. I'd rather lose 10lbs/month and actually KEEP it off.

-Nathan

I know exactly what you mean. If i ever did the low carb diet i would probably black-out on the first few hours of it. People need carbs, as we need energy.

Lol! Yeah... I tried just lowering my carbs some and had a real hard time. Your brains need carbs. And I like when the brains in my head work. I don't understand how people can do "no carb" diets... I mean = you would be literally starving your brain. And veggies and fruit have carbs. I like my veggies and fruit. I am not going to pass on an apple and sit down to a plate full of bacon.
  • 623Hernandez
    Options
    There are medical conditions where low carb diets are best.... just saying.

As a women with PCOS(look it up) I find it ridiculous when someone tells me to just each a wel balance diet...beacuse even counting my calories i will not lose weight unless i cut the carbs.

Tell them about it girl! PCOS here too.
  • k2quiere
    k2quiere Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    *gets lawn chair and popcorn*
    This is gonna be good...

I have some extra camp chairs if anyone else wants to pull up a seat...I'll break out the powdered foods, we can reconstitute them with pregnant woman pee, and have ourselves a party!
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat...

Seriously?

This is actually true:
    Not sure about the numbers, but the idea is the following: "Muscle density is 1.06 g/ml and fat density is (about) 0.9 g/ml. Thus, one liter of muscle would weight 1.06 kg and one liter of fat would weight 0.9 kg."

Just to explain, it's about weight of the same volume:
    Basically, 1 cubic metre of lead will weight more than 1 cubic metre of wood (won't you agree?).
    Well, same with muscles and fat.
    It's one thing to say it weighs more BY VOLUME. But if it's not qualified with that statement it is flat wrong. Most people say it without including the 'by volume' part, which IS wrong.
  • MissSharkattack
    MissSharkattack Posts: 323 Member
    Options

^^ this for sure.
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    *gets lawn chair and popcorn*
    This is gonna be good...

Do you have a chair for me? If not, I'll just sit in your lap....here, I'll hold the popcorn.
  • nani726
    nani726 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    it isnt that it weighs more, muscle simply packs tighter than fat, thats about it.
  • istalkzombies
    istalkzombies Posts: 344 Member
    Options

this ^
  • jmelyan23
    jmelyan23 Posts: 1,664 Member
    Options
    There are medical conditions where low carb diets are best.... just saying.

As a women with PCOS(look it up) I find it ridiculous when someone tells me to just each a wel balance diet...beacuse even counting my calories i will not lose weight unless i cut the carbs.

I appreciate somebody saying this. I also have PCOS and every doctor I've talked to has told me that lowering my carbs is going to help me lose weight better, and since I've done that I've lost consistently. Every other time I've tried eating better, but balancing everything out with a higher % of carbs, I don't lose consistently and sometimes not at all.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    it isnt that it weighs more, muscle simply packs tighter than fat, thats about it.
    It's more dense. Weighs more by volume. Let's move on, shall we?

"I can't have (insert naughty food item) ever again"
  • flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat...

Seriously?

This is actually true:
    Not sure about the numbers, but the idea is the following: "Muscle density is 1.06 g/ml and fat density is (about) 0.9 g/ml. Thus, one liter of muscle would weight 1.06 kg and one liter of fat would weight 0.9 kg."

Just to explain, it's about weight of the same volume:
    Basically, 1 cubic metre of lead will weight more than 1 cubic metre of wood (won't you agree?).
    Well, same with muscles and fat.
    It's one thing to say it weighs more BY VOLUME. But if it's not qualified with that statement it is flat wrong. Most people say it without including the 'by volume' part, which IS wrong.

Yep, you are right, most people don't really think about the full statement and just forget the most important part.