Stupidest diet myths/tips you have ever heard.

Options

Replies

• Bankman1989
    Bankman1989 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat...

Seriously?

This is actually true:
    Not sure about the numbers, but the idea is the following: "Muscle density is 1.06 g/ml and fat density is (about) 0.9 g/ml. Thus, one liter of muscle would weight 1.06 kg and one liter of fat would weight 0.9 kg."

Just to explain, it's about weight of the same volume:
    Basically, 1 cubic metre of lead will weight more than 1 cubic metre of wood (won't you agree?).
    Well, same with muscles and fat.
    It's one thing to say it weighs more BY VOLUME. But if it's not qualified with that statement it is flat wrong. Most people say it without including the 'by volume' part, which IS wrong.

Yep, you are right, most people don't really think about the full statement and just forget the most important part.

So if you have 100 pounds of muscle and 100 pounds of fat..which one weighs more? lol
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    >How about stop then.

Fair enough. When you stop eating sensibly, there's a chance that (given all other things being equal) you will gain some weight. Alternatively, when you stop a long term stretch of an ultra-low carb diet (given all other things being equal) you swell up like a friggin' rhino.

BS, anytime you revert back to the "old" ways of eating, it doesn't matter if you come from low carb or "sensible" eating you will gain weight back at the same rate (Calories being equale)
  • elizabethblake
    elizabethblake Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    it isnt that it weighs more, muscle simply packs tighter than fat, thats about it.
    It's more dense. Weighs more by volume. Let's move on, shall we?

"I can't have (insert naughty food item) ever again"

Exactly! If you want a piece of pizza, have a freakin piece of pizza! The world will not end if you have a piece of pizza.
  • DiamondInTheDirt
    DiamondInTheDirt Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    >What happens when you stope eating "Sensible"

I'm not sure, is "stope" a verb?

LOOOOL. I hate it when people add an e to a word where theres not supposed to be an 'e'.

Perhaps it is ye olde English :)

Lol yeah thats exactly what it sounds like haha. It sounds so funny haha.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    I sincerely and utterly believe that if you only eat food off someone elses plate you will lose weight because the calories in that food belong to them and therefore don't count towards your daily calorie allowance.:bigsmile:

I am not very popular at work anymore. :noway:
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat...

Seriously?

This is actually true:
    Not sure about the numbers, but the idea is the following: "Muscle density is 1.06 g/ml and fat density is (about) 0.9 g/ml. Thus, one liter of muscle would weight 1.06 kg and one liter of fat would weight 0.9 kg."

Just to explain, it's about weight of the same volume:
    Basically, 1 cubic metre of lead will weight more than 1 cubic metre of wood (won't you agree?).
    Well, same with muscles and fat.
    It's one thing to say it weighs more BY VOLUME. But if it's not qualified with that statement it is flat wrong. Most people say it without including the 'by volume' part, which IS wrong.

Yep, you are right, most people don't really think about the full statement and just forget the most important part.

So if you have 100 pounds of muscle and 100 pounds of fat..which one weighs more? lol
    You need to stop this or you're going to bring that awful muscle vs. fat lady out here.
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    "I am not going to pass on an apple and sit down to a plate full of bacon."

Yea, that is what a low carb. diet is all about. Maybe you need more carbs. For that brain you were talking about.

My brains are confused... where did I say all people doing low carb eat plates of bacon and pass on apples? Your low carb diet may not be all about that. I would hope that most weren't. But there are some that do... they do pass on the fruits and the veggies and eat the plateful of steak and bacon.

How many brains do you have?

All of them.
  • cbear017
    cbear017 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    First of all.....................Stupidest isnt a word..... lol

To answer your question:

Eliminating carbs entirely is a best practice..... MmmmHmm Sure it is.
    You can gain muscle over night...
    Soda is acceptable as long as its *diet*.....
    Diet pills work.............
    It doesnt matter WHERE my calories come from as long as Im under...
    You dont have to exercise..................
    I can eat *healthy* at Mcdonalds..................... Going to McDonalds for a salad is like going to a *kitten* for a hug.... Riiiight...

Actually, it doesn't matter where your calories come from as long as you're under and you hit your macros (fat, carbs and proteins). I don't exclude any food from my diet. Now I'm not advocating eating McDonald's every day but I do eat it. You've got to have fun with it too. All of this extreme clean eating sounds a lot like orthorexia to me.
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    >What happens when you stope eating "Sensible"

I'm not sure, is "stope" a verb?

LOOOOL. I hate it when people add an e to a word where theres not supposed to be an 'e'.

LOOOL I hate it when people get their panties twisted over a type Oe, nice way to avoid a question, isn't it?

What question am i avoiding?

Didin't say you were, maybe you need to learn how to read before worrying about people putting an e at the end of words

Did you put an 'e' at the end of a word even if its not mean to be there? If so, then why are you crying about it?. I did have a lot of 'LAUGH OUT LOUDS' in my comment, showing the fact that im not trying to be rude, so end of conversation.

Who knows why I put that e there, I do know stop is not spelled stope, if you look the next word started with an e, maybe I was getting ahead of myself, it doesn't matter, he knew and you knew what the F,,,ing word was, and playing spelling police is rude, speaking of.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Anytime anyone feels guilt over eating something.

Maybe if you shot and ate a goose, and it's mate is now in mourning and the little goslings will now die without a mama, you can feel a little guilty. But not over ice cream or pizza or a cupcake.
  • ohthelawd
    ohthelawd Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    >Did you put an 'e' at the end of a word even if its not mean to be there? If so, then why are you crying about it?. I did have a lot of 'LAUGH OUT LOUDS' in my comment, showing the fact that im not trying to be rude, so end of conversation.

It's amazing how defensive people get when they attempt to call someone out, only to have their opinion undermined by their inability to type.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options

To answer your question:

I can eat *healthy* at Mcdonalds..................... Going to McDonalds for a salad is like going to a *kitten* for a hug.... Riiiight...

Actually, it doesn't matter where your calories come from as long as you're under and you hit your macros (fat, carbs and proteins). I don't exclude any food from my diet. Now I'm not advocating eating McDonald's every day but I do eat it. You've got to have fun with it too. All of this extreme clean eating sounds a lot like orthorexia to me.

^^ This
  • manderson27
    Options
    "I'm going to try the Subway Diet" :noway:

Theres a subway diet?lol

We call it the Underground diet here (UK) LOL
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    No one should say that muscle weighs more than fat, the correct thing to say is that muscle takes up less space than fat.

That doesn't really tell you anything. Something can take up less space but still weigh LESS on a scale.
  • doobabe
    doobabe Posts: 436 Member
    Options

To answer your question:

So............... I can eat ONLY Ice cream sundae's every single day for the rest of my life and be ripped............. As long as I stay under my calorie goal for the day? Mmmm Nope. Im not saying you have to eat squeaky clean every single day- but for general health it DOES matter WHAT you eat.
  • MinnesotaManimal
    MinnesotaManimal Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Anytime anyone feels guilt over eating something.

Maybe if you shot and ate a goose, and it's mate is now in mourning and the little goslings will now die without a mama, you can feel a little guilty. But not over ice cream or pizza or a cupcake.

there is an easy solution to that too........ goslings are tender....
  • doughnutwretch
    doughnutwretch Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    You can't build muscle on a calorie deficit.. Really? I've been eating at a calorie deficit for most of this year and I can sure as sh** lift heavier weights.. I've also lost 18 pounds.
    Totally agree with this... I've lost 117 lbs (on a 1200 calorie diet). I had almost no muscle tone when I started, and have MUCH larger and stronger muscles now... I get that it's probably because I had so little muscle to begin with, but some people CAN build muscle on a deficit!!

Nope, you can just actually see the muscle after losing the fat
  • DiamondInTheDirt
    DiamondInTheDirt Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    >Did you put an 'e' at the end of a word even if its not mean to be there? If so, then why are you crying about it?. I did have a lot of 'LAUGH OUT LOUDS' in my comment, showing the fact that im not trying to be rude, so end of conversation.

It's amazing how defensive people get when they attempt to call someone out, only to have their opinion undermined by their inability to type.

Lol its cool if you think i have the inability to type sweety and thank you so much for pointing that out :) But if it makes you feel better please do continue. <3
  • manderson27
    Options
    "Try the cabbage soup diet... Youll be ripped in a week."

I have to admit, I actually did that one... SMH :blushing:

Me too. Got a migraine on the 3rd day, taught me a valuable lesson. Fad diets are crap.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    I don't remember the specifics, but it had something to do with Justin Bieber and connuts.

What?! I thought those were very good diet tips. Had connut every morning since!

You are my hero btw xD