Stupidest diet myths/tips you have ever heard.

Options

Replies

• FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    "Try the cabbage soup diet... Youll be ripped in a week."

I have to admit, I actually did that one... SMH :blushing:

is that you will be ripped in a week , or you will be letting them rip in a week
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    and everyone in the world knows the "by volume " part is implied, they just want to start crap

Not everyone. I am surprised she hasn't shown up on this thread with her formula.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Not everyone. I am surprised she hasn't shown up on this thread with her formula.

Oh lawd....

LOLOL
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options

and why ever would i want to start eating bread again on a regular basis???????????????????????

evil-russian-bread.jpg

LOVE! :love:
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    and why would you want to eat bread? because a freshly baked loaf of bread is awesome and is the perfect accompaniment to many dishes

:heart:
  • mylyhud
    mylyhud Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Not on the Medifast program.:flowerforyou:
  • joshandstacy
    joshandstacy Posts: 56 Member
    Options

"only carbs make you fat"
    "keto diets offer a metabolic advantage"
    "you have to eat breakfast"
    "increased meal frequency boosts metabolism"

You are saying that multiple smaller meals doesn't keep the metabolism going?
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    I'm going to catch hell for this, but I think any of the ultra-low or no-carb diets are joke. Are you going to lose weight? Yes. Will you have any energy to actually exercise and get in better shape? Nope. Are you going to blimp beyond your original weight once you start eating bread again? Yessir. Would you have been better off adopting sensible eating habits and an exercise plan? Indeed.

I know a lot of people swear by them (while they're on them, at least), but I've seen too many people end up weighing more and being in worse shape in the long run. No thanks. I'd rather lose 10lbs/month and actually KEEP it off.

-Nathan

biggest myth if you eat low carb you wont have energy to work out.
    bulls**T i have more energy when i low carb.

and why ever would i want to start eating bread again on a regular basis???????????????????????

while i agree you don't need carbs to have a good workout, i'd take it one step further and say you can have a great workout completely fasted

and why would you want to eat bread? because a freshly baked loaf of bread is awesome and is the perfect accompaniment to many dishes

but if you only have it rarely it maintains its awesomeness, instead of just becoming a mundane part of a daily meal
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options

"only carbs make you fat"
    "keto diets offer a metabolic advantage"
    "you have to eat breakfast"
    "increased meal frequency boosts metabolism"

You are saying that multiple smaller meals doesn't keep the metabolism going?

Nope it doesn't.
  • skinnnyxoxo
    skinnnyxoxo Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    you have to stop eating a X o'clock
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options

evil-russian-bread.jpg

If you don't eat the bread, the bread will eat you?
  • starwhisperer
    Options
    Have to agree that the overuse of the starvation equation is my least favorite myth. Tell those poor kids in third world countries that any day now they are going to turn the corner and start packing on the pounds.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    Wasn't there a guy on here that suggested that to build muscle you didn't need to lift weights, you just needed to swim in your sweatpants?
  • Getting_Fit_4_Life
    Getting_Fit_4_Life Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    "Try the cabbage soup diet... Youll be ripped in a week."

I have to admit, I actually did that one... SMH :blushing:

LOL!! I did this stupid diet too, well for one day!! I made a big pot of the nasty soup and I couldn't even eat it because it was so tasteless. Yuck!!
  • MsMonny
    MsMonny Posts: 183
    Options
    Sorry, you lost me on page 7! :yawn: People really re-hash stuff on here, don't they??

Thanks to those who answered my HCG (or whatever the letters are) question......eeewwww, is all I have to say to that! :sick:
  • Yakisoba
    Yakisoba Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat...

Seriously?

Or muscle turns into fat and vice versa (if no one has said this yet).
  • Angellore
    Angellore Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    When I was about 13 I got sent to the school nurse because I was skiving off of games lessons and was overweight. She told me to stop eating potatoes and I would lose weight. That was all the advice she gave me. I didn't even eat fried potatoes, my mum mostly boiled them to death. She told me to eat pasta or rice instead. Never mind stop eating chocolate and crisps by the bucketload, or do more sport. :noway:
  • nifnif
    nifnif Posts: 22
    Options
    "Starving yourself will make you like yourself more."

"It is possible to make your body lose weight by restricting the amount of calories it needs to function."

''Carbs are bad for you, especially simple carbs."
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I only skimmed through, but I see so many things that I agree with. I am sure it's in there somewhere, but I didn't find it, but one of my most hated myths is that---

You shouldn't lift weights to lose fat because you will "bulk up."

So many women never fully realize their potential because they are terrified that this myth just might actually come true as soon as they pick up a barbell!