Stupidest diet myths/tips you have ever heard.

Options
1151617181921»

Replies

• fatty_to_fitty
    fatty_to_fitty Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    "This should get the award "

A doctor told me to have chilled water anytime I want to drink water and that will help lose weight. :laugh:

His logic - Body needs to bring the water temperature to the body's normal temperature hence burning extra calories.

Anorexics/ pro anna sites advise this, that is also why they chew ice. The body thinks you are eating and kicks in your digestive system (is what they say) and also generates energy to warm up. Since they basically consume 0 cals a day it's thought to put them into negative cals. I think it's tricking the mind not the body personally.

Also a woman said after a jujutsu class. 'When you eat within 20 mins of exercise it doesn't count it just burns right up.' So pig away!!
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    I'm going to catch hell for this, but I think any of the ultra-low or no-carb diets are joke. Are you going to lose weight? Yes. Will you have any energy to actually exercise and get in better shape? Nope. Are you going to blimp beyond your original weight once you start eating bread again? Yessir. Would you have been better off adopting sensible eating habits and an exercise plan? Indeed.

I know a lot of people swear by them (while they're on them, at least), but I've seen too many people end up weighing more and being in worse shape in the long run. No thanks. I'd rather lose 10lbs/month and actually KEEP it off.

-Nathan

This!

Ummm, Tell that to this person.............

She has been on Atkins plan for like 10 years.

http://www.sugarfreesheila.com/
  • MoooveOverFluffy
    MoooveOverFluffy Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    1. Body "cleansing"
    2. No carbs
    3. Lifting heavy makes women look like a bodybuilder

.....................................................................................................
  • TMLPatrick
    TMLPatrick Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Pretty much anything I've ever heard about metabolism.
  • aash28
    aash28 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I can eat *healthy* at Mcdonalds..................... Going to McDonalds for a salad is like going to a *kitten* for a hug.... Riiiight...

Oh my God! Haha!
  • carrieo888
    carrieo888 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I gotta say the coffee enema thing ooked me right out. Not sure exactly how that is supposed to "cleanse" and make you less susceptible to gaining weight. And of course any diet that extols the virtues of cutting out [insert food type here]. My parents went on the Atkins diet a few years ago and lost something like 40 lbs each, but their cholesterol levels had quadrupled. They immediately stopped the diet and gained 50 lbs. and are still dealing with cholesterol issues that neither had had prior to Atkins.
  • lorac321
    lorac321 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    A pound of muscle weighs more than a pound of fat... A pound is a pound is a pound... YES I know muscle is denser...

And by far HGC (my step daughter was actually a model for them - BEFORE she gained back 20 lbs.)
  • ErrataCorrige
    ErrataCorrige Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    if you eat under 1200 even for just one day your body will automatically shut off the fat burning and immediately go into starvation mode and your body will hold on to every single calorie it can.

^^^^ This^^^ :explode:
  • kodiak1957
    kodiak1957 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    ^^ This^^. Muscle does weigh more than fat, by volume. Of course a pound of muscle weighs the same as a pound of fat, but one square foot of muscle weighs far more than one square foot of fat. Do your own experiment...cut a square inch of butter and a square inch of rib eye and toss them in a bowl of water. The butter will float and the muscle will sink, because the density of the muscle is far higher than the butter. This is why you can remain the same weight but still lose inches...because if you replace fat weight with muscle weight it will take up less room on your body.
  • Inebriated
    Options
    A family member of mine said it's better to eat 5 smaller meals a day rather than 3 big ones because "your body takes what it needs in the moment then gets rid of the rest of it." :noway:
  • iloveraggie
    Options
    muscle does weigh more than fat..... that is why you gain if you are thin and start trying to tone your muscles....
  • loopybec2002
    loopybec2002 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    The stupidest thing is my old boss told me you could really tell i had lost weight i was looking much better i told her about my fitness pal and how much id lost to which she replied that wrong. Dont eat breakfast eat a cuppa soup for lunch and a salad for tea the weight will be just dropping off you.