Stupidest diet myths/tips you have ever heard.

Options

Replies

• irridia
    irridia Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    FxCam_1318698323323.jpg

^^ Calorie deficit for months, lifts heavy 3 times a week. Gets in all my protein.... and no muscle gains! Im still little >.<

Did I miss something? How are all you other ladies gaining on a calorie deficit doing it...?:grumble:

I'm Fat, from your picture you do not appear to be so, so you should not be at a deficiet if you are trying to build muscle, in addition to getting enough protien. You will actually need more calories than you are using to gain muscle mass and being female you can only gain so much anyway without resorting to roids.

Hope that helps!
  • Bauer77
    Bauer77 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Actually this is a fact.....hehe
  • Bauer77
    Bauer77 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Most people that do Low Carb diets to not follow them properly anyhow. They key is to put the body into ketosis, leave your carbs to under 18grams for the first two weeks. After this you are supposed to raise your carbs 2 grams a week until you stop losing weight, and then go back to where you were previously at while you were losing weight. Most people just do the no carb thing and then jump back on the carb wagon and like you said immediately blow back up to their weight before they started or even gain weight. Simple math is keep your caloric intake down, exercise, and keep your hand out of the cookie jar, unless you are just praising all the weight you have lost. If this doesnt work I have also heard a dog muzzle will do the trick.
  • Mmmary212
    Mmmary212 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    "I am not going to pass on an apple and sit down to a plate full of bacon."

Yea, that is what a low carb. diet is all about. Maybe you need more carbs. For that brain you were talking about.

Obviously you have no idea what a low carb diet is or these comments would not be stated.

A low carb lifestyle consists of eating WHOLE foods in the form of proteins, fats, vegetables, fruits, nuts and seeds. Some low / controlled carb lifestyles such as Atkins you will add back in dairy, grains, legumes later as you move up the carb ladder.

Please stop with the nonsense or it will be reported, the smart alleck comments are not going to be tolerated as there are MANY of us here that are on Low Carb Lifestyle plans because we have PCOS, Diabetes, Thyroid disorders or even epilepsy.

Stop making the comments to put others down, especially when you are spouting a bunch of nonsense.

I was not clear in my original post - I was aiming that statement at super low carb and no-carb diets. I think we all struggle to find that right balance of macro nutrients that satisfies us, keeps us healthy and helps us lose. Low carb works great for a lot of people... what scares me is when people talk about eating absolutley no carbs. Or limiting carbs so low that it may as well be none.

For the record - I did not spout nonsese. I said I will not pass on an apple to sit down to a plate full of bacon. That is just something I am not going to do. I would feel ill afterwords and I am just not going to do it. I have read diets that recommended high amounts of fatty protein and forbids fruits b/c of the carbs. That has absolutley nothing to do with what you eat. I have no idea what you eat. There are a lot of people out there who think low carb means bacon instead of apples - THOSE are the people I was knocking. NOT YOU. And CERTAINLY not anyone with "PCOS, Diabetes, Thyroid disorders or even epilepsy." Good grief!

I thought this was supposed to be a thread about silly things people had heard. Passing on apples to eat bacon IS silly.

I'll pass an apple and eat a plate of bacon (well, any meat with lots of fat). It's what I do.
  • irridia
    Options
    i like bacon ;-)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

I thought this was supposed to be a thread about silly things people had heard. Passing on apples to eat bacon IS silly.

I'll pass an apple and eat a plate of bacon (well, any meat with lots of fat). It's what I do.

But along with the fat in bacon come a whole lot of sodium and nitrates. I'd stick with the apples.
  • Mmmary212
    Mmmary212 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Ok, then I'll pass an apple and eat a huge steak. Technicalities here....point being, I'd rather eat the meat than the "natural sugar" if I'm presented with both options.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    all of them.
  • PrincessStubbie
    PrincessStubbie Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    *gets lawn chair and popcorn*
    This is gonna be good...

Bwaaaa ha ha ha...love your tat btw...twisted...LOL
  • bcattoes
    Options
    all of them.

:laugh:
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Slim fast... enough said. I tried it and I was starving myself. Yes, I lost 20 pounds but a couple months after going off and eating right I gained all 20 back. It just starves you. I know better now.
  • stresco
    stresco Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    "Shake Weights"

Really? SMH :huh:
  • irridia
    Options

But along with the fat in bacon come a whole lot of sodium and nitrates. I'd stick with the apples.

you can get it without nitrares, but its really spendy
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    "Shake Weights"

What's wrong with Shake Weights? They get your heart rate up and are entertaining. LOL Or course I hear you can do the same thing much cheaper with a big can of soup or other canned food item. LOL
  • bcattoes
    Options
    "Shake Weights"

The folks in the infomercials sure seem to be enjoying them. :wink:
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with Shake Weights? They get your heart rate up and are entertaining. LOL Or course I hear you can do the same thing much cheaper with a big can of soup or other canned food item. LOL

There's also a partner exercise that gives the same workout. Have you heard of it?
  • krisinky
    Options
    In regards to the comments about needing carbs, yes, you are right. We do need carbs but don't need them in the form of flour, sugar, white bread, white rice and pasta. We need them in the form of plenty of fruits and veggies, small portions of brown rice and whole wheat pasta. And, yes, you can have some of those items occasionally. It kills me when people say no-carb. You would be so sick and lack energy. But, to think that I am supposed to have 250-300 carbs a day. I would be as big as a house if I ate that many carbs everyday. I also have PCOS and since I keep my carbs between 50-70 a day, my weight is normal (still want to lose 20) and I regular cycles and not longer have to take Metformin. It is so figuring out what works for you. So, I disagree that watching carbs is stupid.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options

There's also a partner exercise that gives the same workout. Have you heard of it?

I don't personally count the calories burned in the partner version. LOL
  • KelleFlr
    KelleFlr Posts: 142
    Options
    Russ -- great pics - great transformation. Congrats
    K
  • Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Russ -- great pics - great transformation. Congrats
    K

Thank you K :smile: