Stupidest diet myths/tips you have ever heard.

Options

Replies

• harleenarang
    harleenarang Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    "This should get the award "

A doctor told me to have chilled water anytime I want to drink water and that will help lose weight. :laugh:

His logic - Body needs to bring the water temperature to the body's normal temperature hence burning extra calories.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I had a friend tell me that if I get pregnant my doctor will mandate that I eat meat (I'm vegetarian) because there is NO WAY anyone can have a healthy pregnancy without eating meat because you can't get vitamins without eating meat.

I laughed at this since I credit my bad-*kitten* immune system to my nutrient rich diet and my friend is 27, overweight, with osteoporosis and hypothyroidism and pre-diabetes. To each their own.

So being hypothyroid is her fault somehow?

Not necessarily but I do think everything is related. Mandy food additives and synthetic dyes are confirmed endocrine disruptors. I think she could be on less medication if she took better care of herself but I'm not an expert, that's just my opinion. I just didn't think she had any validity to her point that I was unhealthy.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I had a friend tell me that if I get pregnant my doctor will mandate that I eat meat (I'm vegetarian) because there is NO WAY anyone can have a healthy pregnancy without eating meat because you can't get vitamins without eating meat.

I laughed at this since I credit my bad-*kitten* immune system to my nutrient rich diet and my friend is 27, overweight, with osteoporosis and hypothyroidism and pre-diabetes. To each their own.

Not necessarily but I do think everything is related. Mandy food additives and synthetic dyes are confirmed endocrine disruptors. I think she could be on less medication if she took better care of herself but I'm not an expert, that's just my opinion. I just didn't think she had any validity to her point that I was unhealthy.

OK it's fine if you don't think she had any validity in her point that you were unhealthy. It doesn't mean you should go around telling people that a disease like hypothyroidism is the fault of the sufferer. Go do some research please.
  • donnam40
    donnam40 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    My 130kg sister (who is a nurse) believes if she eats fatty food and drinks water the water flushes the fat out of the system, hence no weight gain. I have no idea where she got that idea from......

She also believes she is not big but clothes sizes are getting smaller.
  • stresco
    stresco Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    OMG! Anybody else here these commercials on the radio for sub-lingual HCG? WTF?!?!
  • Shell_7609
    Shell_7609 Posts: 786 Member
    Options

A doctor told me to have chilled water anytime I want to drink water and that will help lose weight. :laugh:

His logic - Body needs to bring the water temperature to the body's normal temperature hence burning extra calories.

I've heard something like this before, supposedly drinking ice water would burn more calories than drinking tap water or room temperature water
  • Shell_7609
    Shell_7609 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    OMG! Anybody else here these commercials on the radio for sub-lingual HCG? WTF?!?!

I haven't heard that, but at walmart the other day I saw hormone-free hcg drops
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    For me, "cleanses", definitely. What a crock.
  • happy_vegan
    happy_vegan Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I hate that people have ideas that certain things are healthy for them without actually reading labels...
    for instance i know people who eat yogurt and granola but hate eating things like pizza or dessert because they think they'll gain weight....... both yogurt AND granola are super-dense calorie wise. it's probably the same decision.
    if this website taught me anything about losing weight it's that it's all about calories and basically nothing else. as long as i exercise too and have a healthy heart i'll eat what i want thank you.......
    (and most of the time it's vegetables : ) )
  • paladeac
    paladeac Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    This is a huge thread so it's probably already been mentioned but the whole female thing where they think they'll be the size of Kai Greene if they do any kind of strength training.

They have no idea how hard a physique like that is to attain.

I was at the gym the other week, on the leg press. A trainer came all the way across the gym to say I was doing it wrong, that my weights were too heavy and that i was just going to bulk up.
    !) My form was perfect while I was doing it.
    2) I can easily do 2 sets of 30 reps at 200 pounds. (no straining or form slipping)
    3) My legs are smaller than they've ever been.

I was just kind of speechless as he harangued me about how I shouldn't' be lifting that much weight.
  • MattGetsMad
    MattGetsMad Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I can eat *healthy* at Mcdonalds..................... Going to McDonalds for a salad is like going to a *kitten* for a hug.... Riiiight...

This is freaking hilarious! Except *kitten* don't let you hug... :cry:
  • ciaobellakiss
    Options
    No white foods.
  • Picola1984
    Picola1984 Posts: 1,133
    Options
    The baby food diet

Or

The purple diet
  • sarah307
    sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Today people at work were saying.... "this soda is only 100 calories!!!"

I said.. "Yeah, PER SERVING!"

There were 5 servings per container.

That really dropped some jaws when their eyes were opened to reality LOL.
  • nicoleh82
    Options
    1. Carbs make you fat
    2. "I don't want to lift weights or I'll get all bulky n *kitten*"
    3. Saturated fats are the debbil.
    4. Protein will make you lose weight and burn fat.
    5. Make sure you eat 5-7 small meals a day every 2 hours so it boosts your metabolism.
    6. Don't eat late at night or you'll turn into a Gremlin.
    7. Sugar is also the debbil.
    8. Fruit is bad for you cause of #7.
    9. My research, science, and studies are better than your research, science and studies.

10. Joejccva71 is a horrible and mean man. He hurt my feelings today.

Oh no! I was under the assumption that eating small meals every 2-3 hours DID boost your metabolism. Crap! Why is it that nothing you ever read is true! It's so frusterating! You just burst my happy bubble LOL!

A pt keeps telling me about eating every 2-3 hours, i always thought it was bs. after all, how do they explain not going into starvation mode when you sleep... Just because you are using less energy when you sleep doesn't mean your body isn't using energy....

A few of mine...

'some times crunches can make your stomach bigger'

any diet pill, juice, advertised scheme. major rip off's, live sensibly to live healthily
  • Bauer77
    Bauer77 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Now that has me rolling off on the floor!!! I think I went to Wendy's one time and got their BLT salad. Then I realized that this with the dressing had more calories than a Big Mac with Fries and a Coke, so I can totally relate......

Great post.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options

The majority of illnesses is the fault of the person suffering from said disease. Adequate nutrition goes a long way with the ability to maintain good health. Yes, that includes Thyroid disorders, Diabetes, High Blood Pressure, most forms of depression, etc, etc..................

People need to stop making excuses and take care of themselves with adequate nutrition that will allow their bodies to heal. That includes proper nourishment, enriching relationships, adequate sleep, exercise, play, meditation, massage, etc..........
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    gotta say HCG probably takes the cake for me.
    Gotta love the pregger lady pee.

Pretty much anything that cuts out entire food groups, imposes restrictions that are not sustainable long-term, or emphasize weight loss over good health.
  • amelia_atlantic
    amelia_atlantic Posts: 926 Member
    Options

That is true but it won't help you lose any significant amount of weight. It's just a (very!) temporary metabolism boost.
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,621 Member
    Options
    I'm going to catch hell for this, but I think any of the ultra-low or no-carb diets are joke. Are you going to lose weight? Yes. Will you have any energy to actually exercise and get in better shape? Nope. Are you going to blimp beyond your original weight once you start eating bread again? Yessir. Would you have been better off adopting sensible eating habits and an exercise plan? Indeed.

I know a lot of people swear by them (while they're on them, at least), but I've seen too many people end up weighing more and being in worse shape in the long run. No thanks. I'd rather lose 10lbs/month and actually KEEP it off.

-Nathan

This!