Stupidest diet myths/tips you have ever heard.

Options

Replies

• DiamondInTheDirt
    DiamondInTheDirt Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Stupidest Myths

1. Don't eat at night
    2. Don't eat carbs
    3. Don't eat sugar
    4. Do cardio everyday
    5. Eat more protein
    6. Eat "healthy"
    7. Take a pill
    8. Do lipo
    9. Eat celery/salad all day
    10. Hate food and eating then punish yourself by doing ridiculous amounts of cardio

Lol, at number 10!
  • jenswwjourney
    Options
    dumb diet myths... hmmm as long as you eat less calories its OK just wast 3 twinkies per day that is less calories. i was like wowwww that is great advice if you want to die tomorrow of a stroke!
  • DiamondInTheDirt
    Options
    FxCam_1318698323323.jpg

^^ Calorie deficit for months, lifts heavy 3 times a week. Gets in all my protein.... and no muscle gains! Im still little >.<

Did I miss something? How are all you other ladies gaining on a calorie deficit doing it...?:grumble:

How heavy do you lift? and im guessing what you did, - i mean eating at a deficit and strength training, helped tone you up?

Heavy as I can :]Example: Deadlift max is at 225 and squat is at 170 at the moment. Been stuck there for a while

I would stay it helped me tone at all. Losing the fat around the area might have made me look better but my LBM has not increased at all

WOW! Thats amazing! and thanks for the info!
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Thanks! I wish that I could actually put on some lean body mass! Someday....eventually...maybe xD
  • DiamondInTheDirt
    Options
    Thanks! I wish that I could actually put on some lean body mass! Someday....eventually...maybe xD

Really? Im the complete opposite.I hope that im not someone who gains muscle easily. Just want some tone. I would die if i got muscle between my neck and shoulders! lol
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    >Did you put an 'e' at the end of a word even if its not mean to be there? If so, then why are you crying about it?. I did have a lot of 'LAUGH OUT LOUDS' in my comment, showing the fact that im not trying to be rude, so end of conversation.

It's amazing how defensive people get when they attempt to call someone out, only to have their opinion undermined by their inability to type.

Wow, now see we all need to be as perfect as you so our opinion will count. Ok folks anyone that misspells a word, of makes a typing error, you might as well stop offering opinions or even facts, because if you are not perfect you don't count.

Nice. you must be a politician, never answer a question just attack the person asking the question, a democrate too I guess.

I started to take your reply to heart, I really did. But then I noticed you misspelled "democrat". It's that testy silent "e" again. Perhaps your keyboard needs a good cleaning.

you must have missed the e at the end of equale, I put there for you too, what a,,,,,,,,,,,,,
  • freerange
    Options
    You can't build muscle on a calorie deficit.. Really? I've been eating at a calorie deficit for most of this year and I can sure as sh** lift heavier weights.. I've also lost 18 pounds.
    Totally agree with this... I've lost 117 lbs (on a 1200 calorie diet). I had almost no muscle tone when I started, and have MUCH larger and stronger muscles now... I get that it's probably because I had so little muscle to begin with, but some people CAN build muscle on a deficit!!

Nope, you can just actually see the muscle after losing the fat

Yeah i dont think you can build muscle at a dificit, although thats my opinion. Im simply thinking about it in this way: Muscle burns more calories than fat and therefore needs more calories to stay intact..? any opinions?

Yes look up, I think it's called "Burn fat and build muscle" somthing like that, anyhow, if you are burning fat as part of your calories being used to build muscle it can be done.

If you are morbidly obese yes because you are using fat stores as energy (calories) to build some muscle, but the gains are still VERY minimal.

Don't knowe, I haven't done any personal studies, the people the advocate this methode seem to think the gains are real and I will leave it in their hands to defiend thier position. I was only replying to the poster with information they may want to look into.
  • freerange
    Options

Not unless you are an overfat beginner or coming off of a layoff.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/adding-muscle-while-losing-fat-qa.html

So...for a woman to get toned then she must eat a surplus of calories and train like a beast? Because a person of a normal weight as you said cant gain muscle on a calorie deficit?

from what I understand if you have excess body fat yes you can, but it stands to reason that, the closer you get to ideal body fat, the harder it would be to gain muscle without excess calories.
  • TressaBarron
    Options
    I'm still reeling from someone saying that "stupidest" isn't a word. :huh:

So is it a word? Because the person who said it made me feel stupid for using the word in my topic lol

From Dictionary.com:

stupidest
    [stoo-pid, styoo‐]
    stu·pid
       [stoo-pid, styoo‐] Show IPA adjective, -er, -est, noun
    adjective
    lacking ordinary quickness and keenness of mind; dull.
    characterized by or proceeding from mental dullness; foolish; senseless: a stupid question.
    tediously dull, especially due to lack of meaning or sense; inane; pointless: a stupid party.
    annoying or irritating; troublesome: Turn off that stupid radio.
    in a state of stupor; stupefied: stupid from fatigue.
  • freerange
    Options
    FxCam_1318698323323.jpg

^^ Calorie deficit for months, lifts heavy 3 times a week. Gets in all my protein.... and no muscle gains! Im still little >.<

Did I miss something? How are all you other ladies gaining on a calorie deficit doing it...?:grumble:

By looking at your pic, if that's you holding the cell phone, you may want to stop with the deficit thing and start eating more, make sure you are eating a gr of protein for each pound of body weight, fill in the rest of your calories with good healthy fats, (natural, non hydrogenated), and complex carbs, as you gain muscle your body will burn fat better and you should lean out.
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    TOXINS!!
    And I can remember the Grapefruit Diet.
    Also, I remember Martin Katahn's Rotation diet, wherein you vary your calorie intake every day, which he soon followed by the T-factor diet, which had everybody talking about "Fat-grams" like they were little demons or something.
  • jill___
    jill___ Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    STARVATION MODE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Everyone likes to throw around "1200 calories" and nonsense about starvation mode, but the truth is that starvation mode take a LONG time to kick in -- depending on your weight/body fat percentage. Starvation mode kicks in when your body gets below and minimum healthy fat percentage. When you don't have enough body fat, your metabolism slows and retain fat storage.

In an over weight person, this process could take up to a year.
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    I'm going to catch hell for this, but I think any of the ultra-low or no-carb diets are joke. Are you going to lose weight? Yes. Will you have any energy to actually exercise and get in better shape? Nope. Are you going to blimp beyond your original weight once you start eating bread again? Yessir. Would you have been better off adopting sensible eating habits and an exercise plan? Indeed.

I know a lot of people swear by them (while they're on them, at least), but I've seen too many people end up weighing more and being in worse shape in the long run. No thanks. I'd rather lose 10lbs/month and actually KEEP it off.

-Nathan

biggest myth if you eat low carb you wont have energy to work out.
    bulls**T i have more energy when i low carb.

and why ever would i want to start eating bread again on a regular basis???????????????????????
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I'm going to catch hell for this, but I think any of the ultra-low or no-carb diets are joke. Are you going to lose weight? Yes. Will you have any energy to actually exercise and get in better shape? Nope. Are you going to blimp beyond your original weight once you start eating bread again? Yessir. Would you have been better off adopting sensible eating habits and an exercise plan? Indeed.

I know a lot of people swear by them (while they're on them, at least), but I've seen too many people end up weighing more and being in worse shape in the long run. No thanks. I'd rather lose 10lbs/month and actually KEEP it off.

-Nathan

and why ever would i want to start eating bread again on a regular basis???????????????????????

Well, if you don't like bread, I wouldn't recommend it. However, since it's not doing me any harm and I adore it, I don't bother excluding it.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

-Nathan

while i agree you don't need carbs to have a good workout, i'd take it one step further and say you can have a great workout completely fasted

and why would you want to eat bread? because a freshly baked loaf of bread is awesome and is the perfect accompaniment to many dishes
  • PB67
    PB67 Posts: 376
    Options

evil-russian-bread.jpg
  • FairyMiss
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat...

Seriously?

This is actually true:
    Not sure about the numbers, but the idea is the following: "Muscle density is 1.06 g/ml and fat density is (about) 0.9 g/ml. Thus, one liter of muscle would weight 1.06 kg and one liter of fat would weight 0.9 kg."

Just to explain, it's about weight of the same volume:
    Basically, 1 cubic metre of lead will weight more than 1 cubic metre of wood (won't you agree?).
    Well, same with muscles and fat.
    It's one thing to say it weighs more BY VOLUME. But if it's not qualified with that statement it is flat wrong. Most people say it without including the 'by volume' part, which IS wrong.

and everyone in the world knows the "by volume " part is implied, they just want to start crap
  • juganaut
    juganaut Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    yes. basketball sized lump of fat isn't as heavy as a basketball sized lump of muscle.

muscle weighs more than fat.
  • FairyMiss
    Options
    >How about stop then.

Fair enough. When you stop eating sensibly, there's a chance that (given all other things being equal) you will gain some weight. Alternatively, when you stop a long term stretch of an ultra-low carb diet (given all other things being equal) you swell up like a friggin' rhino.

which is why its a lifestyle, like anything else that is going to work long term
  • FairyMiss
    Options
    You must ____________ (fill in the blank)

yes i agree filling in the blanks is the biggest myth