We are losing the wrong inches here, ladies...

Options

Replies

• rbryntes
    rbryntes Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    If you're an adult who 'doesn't care what people think of you', then cool. But, if you're a mother of a teenager and you're teaching your daughter that same mindset and okay with her dressing trampy for Halloween, then there's a problem.

Or, you're teaching your teenager that you have the choice to wear a particular costume, and even maybe that you have the maturity to do so and that this is an adult thing (if that's your belief). It is possible to teach a teenager that s/he is a teenager and NOT YET an adult, and therefore would have different guidelines.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    So, let me get this straight: If someone expresses a dislike of turning children's characters or other Halloween costumes into trampy/slutty ones, she's jealous and/or should move to the Middle East? Whatever. We all know some people use Halloween as an excuse to dress trampy. I don't buy that it's "the one time of year" that people do this. I know plenty of people who choose to dress like this for an adult Halloween party, but it's the people you'd expect to. To each his own.

If you're an adult who 'doesn't care what people think of you', then cool. But, if you're a mother of a teenager and you're teaching your daughter that same mindset and okay with her dressing trampy for Halloween, then there's a problem.

You, the OP and anyone else do not control other people. We live in a free society and people can dress as they choose. You can accept this and worry about your own life. Or you can continue to complain, you certainly have that right. But anyone trying to tell other people what they can/can not wear will always get an argument from me. I see it as standing up for their right of freedom of expression. It's not an argument I'd want to be on the other side of.

You're also the one who said we should move to the Middle East. I would think that because you're a "standing for rights of freedom of expression" kinda guy, that you also respect that we have the right to say what we think is in bad taste. I don't see where anyone suggested making a law to prohibit dressing like that. Regarding worrying about my own life: duh....that also includes the society in which I live.
  • rbryntes
    rbryntes Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    I don't see where anyone said "YOU should not dress like that". We are expressing our opinions. I will totally stand by my statement that it is wrong to allow teenagers and pre-teens to dress slutty for Halloween.

Your statement but not your opinion? I think if those who felt this way truly stated, "It is my opinion that this is wrong" it would garner a different reaction than "It is wrong to do this."
  • macpatti
    Options
    I don't see where anyone said "YOU should not dress like that". We are expressing our opinions. I will totally stand by my statement that it is wrong to allow teenagers and pre-teens to dress slutty for Halloween.

Your statement but not your opinion? I think if those who felt this way truly stated, "It is my opinion that this is wrong" it would garner a different reaction than "It is wrong to do this."

I'm talking about saying that I don't think adults have the "right" to dress like a tramp on Halloween. Sure, they do, just as they do every other day. What I am saying I believe is "wrong" is allowing minors to do so.
  • auntdeedee87
    auntdeedee87 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but I'm simply too overcome with jealousy to contribute.

:laugh:
  • macpatti
    Options
    I'm sorry, but I'm simply to overcome with jealousy to contribute.

:laugh:

:drinker:
  • cantjustcant
    cantjustcant Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    ok....this picture was taken last halloween....I was medusa and surrounded in the final judging by slutty nurse on one side and slutty cowgirl and slutty policeman on the other side (for some reason they were entered as a 'pair") Nurse and the other pair kept trying to outdo each other for applause in judging....showing tits....making out with each other....pulling up skirt and jiggling butts....When it was my turn I just simply said Medusa doesn't have to show anything to turn men hard as stone...

I won

hallo202001.jpg
  • VeganInTraining
    VeganInTraining Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    ok....this picture was taken last halloween....I was medusa and surrounded in the final judging by slutty nurse on one side and slutty cowgirl and slutty policeman on the other side (for some reason they were entered as a 'pair") Nurse and the other pair kept trying to outdo each other for applause in judging....showing tits....making out with each other....pulling up skirt and jiggling butts....When it was my turn I just simply said Medusa doesn't have to show anything to turn men hard as stone...

I won

hallo202001.jpg

you're my hero!
  • auntdeedee87
    auntdeedee87 Posts: 706 Member
    Options

I won

hallo202001.jpg

!!!!!!!!!!!!! :drinker:
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    "in the real world Halloween was a time for little kids to dress up in scary costumes. In girl world it was the one night a year a girl could dress like a total slut and no other girls could say anything about it. the hard core girls just wore lingerie and some form of animal ears." ~ Mean Girls (movie)

hmm, so I guess its a bad thing that I live by this mantra... *sigh*
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I'm talking about saying that I don't think adults have the "right" to dress like a tramp on Halloween. Sure, they do, just as they do every other day. What I am saying I believe is "wrong" is allowing minors to do so.

Isn't that the parent's job to enforce though?

I do Halloween every year as Winnie the Pooh. I'm a guy, I don't need a 'costume' to be slutty. It just comes naturally to me.
  • bry_all01
    Options
    I dressed up as a french maid Sat night for a bar party(slutty nun costume was to big this year:laugh: )
    I then ended up at a strip club and people kept thinking I was one of the waitress,someone even tried to tip me it was GREAT!

tell me you took the tip :drinker:
  • cantjustcant
    cantjustcant Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Now...this year I wore the same costume....because I had made the thing from scratch! every piece is hand sewn and it took me almost 3 months of continuous work! The crown is two styrofoam wreaths that are paper mache' and then hand painted....even the snakes were painted (twice...turns out spray paint doesn't dry on rubber snakes so I had to strip them all and repaint by hand) The head piece weighs close to 10 pounds! with all the materials involved the costume cost over 100 to make! Unfortunately without serious alterations it will be WAY too big for me next year! Time to start on a new costume
  • macpatti
    Options

Isn't that the parent's job to enforce though?

I do Halloween every year as Winnie the Pooh. I'm a guy, I don't need a 'costume' to be slutty. It just comes naturally to me.

Of course it's the parents' job to enforce. I'm certainly not going to approach every teenager and tell them they're dressed inappropriately for their age. I'm suggesting it is wrong of a parent to allow their daughter to dress slutty, Halloween or not.
  • bry_all01
    Options
    I'm all for sexy! Sexy never goes out of style.

I'm against trampy.

One person's trampy is another person's sexy. Perhaps some feel it is a sign of feminism and women's rights, to be able to dress as they wish. You have been claiming to each her own, while at the same time stating that the way people are dressing is wrong, that ladies are losing the wrong inches, and pronouncing trampiness on others. It's just [personal expression, and while it may not be how you wish to express yourself, it doesn't mean it's wrong in others.

Precisely. What I was trying to express in my previous post is that there are millions of people who would tell Aunt Deedee herself that her profile pic is trashy and she needs to have some decency and cover herself. I don't think she'd like hearing that.

She'd let it roll off her back, knowing that everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Mine might be warped today, but it's still mine to express.

:smile:

Right, but I don't see people telling you "you're wrong" or "you're a prude" or whatever, just that it is your opinion. However, you have been coming across to some readers of this thread at saying, in a nutshell, "you're wrong" and "you're a tramp."

I never once told anyone they were wrong or that they were, in fact, tramps.

But dressing like one makes you look like one. And if you're dressed like a tramp, you look like a tramp.

Therefore, looking trampy.

You're splitting hairs by taking what I wrote too literally.

Everyone on this post is taking it too seriously.

Women who dress like that need attention, point blank. Don't agree? Great! God Bless America.

:drinker:

I like attention. Its fun. :flowerforyou:
  • pain_is_weakness
    pain_is_weakness Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    dang your telling me that my husband cna't be my ho tonight while I am the pimp?

or are you just against girls letting it show because guys don't bother you? I guess i could see how some people might say they get offended when really they feel insecure and intimidated
  • macpatti
    Options
    dang your telling me that my husband cna't be my ho tonight while I am the pimp?

or are you just against girls letting it show because guys don't bother you? I guess i could see how some people might say they get offended when really they feel insecure and intimidated

Huh?
  • VeganInTraining
    VeganInTraining Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options

OMFG I am so tired of people saying that she is insecure/intimidated/jealous! All she is doing is stating her openion. Also, asking women to have a little self respect. I used to dress like that for halloween and my actions matched my outfit. I'm not saying that anyone is wrong for dressing that way, however, my choice to stop dressing that way came because I found myself worthy of respect and to be treated like a lady not a piece of meat.

Anyone is free to dress that way all they like, but i would prefer they not subject my family to it when we are in a "family friendly" environment. And if one is going to dress like that then don't get upset when guys only want you for your body.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Of course it's the parents' job to enforce. I'm certainly not going to approach every teenager and tell them they're dressed inappropriately for their age. I'm suggesting it is wrong of a parent to allow their daughter to dress slutty, Halloween or not.

I understand and respect your opinion. There's a whole bunch more I could say regarding who exactly should be enforcing those values and at what point it becomes an issue that might require outside involvement, but at the end of the day I don't see anyone truly changing their mind on this stuff.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    So, let me get this straight: If someone expresses a dislike of turning children's characters or other Halloween costumes into trampy/slutty ones, she's jealous and/or should move to the Middle East? Whatever. We all know some people use Halloween as an excuse to dress trampy. I don't buy that it's "the one time of year" that people do this. I know plenty of people who choose to dress like this for an adult Halloween party, but it's the people you'd expect to. To each his own.

You, the OP and anyone else do not control other people. We live in a free society and people can dress as they choose. You can accept this and worry about your own life. Or you can continue to complain, you certainly have that right. But anyone trying to tell other people what they can/can not wear will always get an argument from me. I see it as standing up for their right of freedom of expression. It's not an argument I'd want to be on the other side of.

You're also the one who said we should move to the Middle East. I would think that because you're a "standing for rights of freedom of expression" kinda guy, that you also respect that we have the right to say what we think is in bad taste. I don't see where anyone suggested making a law to prohibit dressing like that. Regarding worrying about my own life: duh....that also includes the society in which I live.

Seeing as you all keep saying "I never said they CAN'T dress like that!" like it's some kind of defense maybe you should re-read because I never said they SHOULD move to the Middle East. I said they CAN. Of their own free will, not forced, by choice. Don't accuse me of making a strawman argument (which I didn't) and then do it yourself.

Everyone has the right to say and feel what they want. It's a right I'd defend with everything I have. The flip side of that is that you can and will have your argument challenged by those who feel differently. If you can't handle that you shouldn't speak up in the first place. Becuase that's what going to happen.

And as angry as I sound in this post please understand that I'm not. I very much enjoy spirited debate. I'm a member of a forum where this kind of thing is all we do. It helps people to learn. So before the mods start with the locks and the bans maybe we could all just talk to each other and sort out our differences, learn a few things and walk away agreeing to disagree.

Thank you all.