Pet names as in honey, babe, etc

Options
12346»

Replies

• manda1028
    Options
    My wife calls me lots of different pet names: a__hole, dipsh!t, f___head. She loves me lots.

LMMFAO
  • dragonbait0126
    dragonbait0126 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    My husband and I never call each other by our actual names. It's always a "pet" name of some sort (sweetie, baby, babe, or monkey usually). I call so many people sweetie though it's not even funny. I think it's just because I grew up in the South though so everyone is sweetie at some point in time. I use chika a lot too though. I also have pet names for the kids of my 2 best friends.
    There's Miss Lys, Booger (because he was acting like one the 1st time I met him), Baby Boy (because he's the baby or at least he was the yongest until recently), monkey girl (who refers to my husband as uncle monkey), and pumpkin head (who is only a week old and was born just a few days before Halloween and i bought her a pumpkin hat). The only one who doesn't have a pet name from me is the oldest boy and that's only because nothing fits him. I'm still trying to figure one out for him so he just goes by his name.
  • itsanot
    itsanot Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    My hubby calls me "love" and has for more then 20 years, I love it! I don't tolerate from anyone else though!
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I love the way my husband calls me. It's a very cute sound. LOL
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    It's all in the tone for me. My hubby and I call each other baby most of the time and it's no big deal. But if someone who isn't my husband calls me "sweetie" or "honey" it can come off as condescending, especially if the rest of the sentence implies that you don't know what you're talking about. "Oh sweetie, you've clearly never made a pie crust before. Give it here, hun." That gets under my skin. :P
  • kenzietea
    kenzietea Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    It is almost weird to hear my fiancee call me by my real name now, he always calls me some sort of pet name. I use his quite a bit but often call him babe, and a couple other silly ones when joking around. I think they're all fine and sweet, but I have certainly seen it overdone, like when some couples start doing the baby talk to each other. *gag*. I've only done that a few times, but only because I had just gotten home from seeing my 2 year old niece, and immediately catch myself and stop. Please people, if you're going to do the baby voice talking, save it for home. No one wants to hear it, its creepy :P
  • kenzietea
    Options
    It's all in the tone for me. My hubby and I call each other baby most of the time and it's no big deal. But if someone who isn't my husband calls me "sweetie" or "honey" it can come off as condescending, especially if the rest of the sentence implies that you don't know what you're talking about. "Oh sweetie, you've clearly never made a pie crust before. Give it here, hun." That gets under my skin. :P

That drives me nuts too! Then I call them out on it and ask them to stop being condescending, but its hard to prove when you use such nice pet names. Its the sneaky way of talking down to someone.
  • kenzietea
    Options
    Lol well tell your guy to stop calling you that.....Oh I would love to be called babe!! Lol its been too long! Lol

Hey babe ;)
  • dreambodin2011
    dreambodin2011 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I know a woman who called her daughter 'Honey'.... it's on her birth certificate!

tragic hey.

I like endearing names for couples though. But not 'darl'. That one reminds my hubby of his father who worshipped his wife. He was one beautiful man.
  • argharna
    Options
    I don't mind it from the right person my ex husband use to call me bay short for babydoll cause I hate babydoll I'm not a toy lol. my gf calls me babe or baby most. I've never use to call a SO any kind of pet names but now I use love alot for my her.
  • Misiaxcore
    Misiaxcore Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Personally, my boyfriend only called me "babe" for a while. I never heard him say my actual name and thought it was the weirdest thing ever. I told him that and now he calls me by my Polish nickname more and still calls me babe. Happy medium.
  • amcanzo
    amcanzo Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Love them - my hubby calls me babe mostly - occasionally honey.

On a side note, when my daughter was about 2 years old, an older lady in the grocery store said to Amanda "Oh, aren't you adorable sweetie" and my cranky daughter replied back "I'm not your weetie!!!" She couldn't say sweetie.....:laugh:
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend calls me babe, mostly. Other than that, he calls me baby, hon, love, mein liebe, sugar, sweetie, honey, and some others. I love it, but wouldn't like it from anyone else.