20 children

Options

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    But wouldn't you agree that if getting pregnant is life threatening, she should be more responsible since she has other children to care for? I mean, come on. We all know how NOT to get pregnant (and I'm not talking about birth control).
    I not only agree with this, but would extend it to also say that her last baby barely made it to viability (25 weeks - weighed only 22oz at birth), which is almost certainly due to her advanced maternal age and high number of previous pregnancies. Preemies have significantly more medical problems, not only in the months after birth but later on in life. And yet she decided to have another baby, which will more likely than not have the exact same issues IF it even makes it to viability?
    Interesting, since I happen to know more than one person who was young, strong and pregnant with her first and had the same thing happen.

I guess those people are irresponsible and at fault, as well.

It's been established that her age and the number of pregnancies had nothing to do with that baby being a preemie.
  • BethanieK
    Options
    I'm not going to try and dictate eanyone else's life, or make decisions for them. I am glad that they are not asking for government assistance, however--I am sure they make some decent $$$ from the television show.

I don't see a need to procreate that much, and I am sure her vagina is like a clown car now. I find it ridiculous, but to each their own.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    But wouldn't you agree that if getting pregnant is life threatening, she should be more responsible since she has other children to care for? I mean, come on. We all know how NOT to get pregnant (and I'm not talking about birth control).
    I not only agree with this, but would extend it to also say that her last baby barely made it to viability (25 weeks - weighed only 22oz at birth), which is almost certainly due to her advanced maternal age and high number of previous pregnancies. Preemies have significantly more medical problems, not only in the months after birth but later on in life. And yet she decided to have another baby, which will more likely than not have the exact same issues IF it even makes it to viability?
    Interesting, since I happen to know more than one person who was young, strong and pregnant with her first and had the same thing happen.

It's been established that her age and the number of pregnancies had nothing to do with that baby being a preemie.

You may not have read all of my prior comments. When a mother KNOWINGLY does something that will threaten her life, that is an irresponsible act. She has other children to care for, and should not knowingly enter into any act that could harm her. The people who you know didn't KNOWINGLY take a risk.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options

Didn't say that preemies can't happen at any age. I know someone who had a preemie with her first, at 29 also. Thanks for trying to twist what I said around though. DID say that advanced maternal age and number of pregnancies increases the risk of complications for both mother and baby. She had preeclampsia, which caused her to need an emergency delivery at 25 weeks. Preeclampsia risk increases in subsequent pregnancies, and as a mother's age increases over 40. So where exactly is it established that her age had nothing to do with the delivery at 25 weeks? She is now two years older than she was at the last pregnancy. Not a good idea.
  • Laurelje
    Laurelje Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Very simple - vagina...not a clown car!
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    (Meant to edit my last post, and double posted instead)
  • twinsanity
    twinsanity Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    I don't like to judge people for the decisions (not often anyway - I am human) BUT!!! 20 children now-a-days is just disgusting if you ask me. I know they can support them, but my gosh, why oh why would you do that to yourself? Having 20 children 200 years ago made sense because not many of them would make it into adulthood, but in 2011 .. well... 2012 I guess?! Ugh

I had a look at their website and they are deeply religious so I guess that is a factor. I have a friend who is not allowed to use protection and she is about to have a second child and her first is not even 2. She didn't really want kids but she had pre marital sex, got married to they guy, so in order to have sex, she will most likely just keep getting pregnant.

They believe that God will let them know when enough is enough. God let me know right away, he gave me twins!

And as for the money, not only do they invest in rental properties, they are paid over $100,000/EPISODE by TLC, and more for special appearences.
  • nanberube
    nanberube Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I cannot believe this. The last child nearly died, and they want to try again?

***Edit: This just leads me to believe they are doing it for the attention, not love of family. If they truly cared about their children, why would they try to bring another into the world knowing it poses a huge risk to mother and baby?

That baby's almost dying had nothing to do with how many children they've had. That could happen to a first-born just as easily.

True, but my point was, if there was a time to stop, it was definitely after 19, because of the issues. But I would've stopped much earlier. :)

The older the Mother, the greater the potantial for life threatening problems, and birth defects. Michelle is almost 45 years old. I agree she should think about the consequences of her actions a little more. However, people have free will and free choice, even though the decisions some people make are not the best.
  • KMSForLife
    Options
    They are healthy, loved and have clothes on their back. I wish we could say the same for all children.
  • Minnesnowtagurl
    Minnesnowtagurl Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I wonder if the kids just slide on out by now and deliver them selves. 20?!
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    Josie, the 19th child was born at 25 weeks gestation, just like my daughter, who was my 2nd (and final) child. My daughter suffered a brain hemorrhage which resulted in cerebral palsy. She has many emotional, cognitive, and physical disabilities. I was warned by my doctors that I have a 60% chance of having another preemie should I ever become pregnant again. That alone was enough to shut down any thoughts of ever having a 3rd child. I had an IUD implanted and my husband had a vasectomy.

I only hope for their next child that the pregnancy is without complications.....and that woman's uterus falls out when it's over.
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    I grew up with 7 siblings - could have been 8 (or more!), but Mom had a miscarriage between my older brother and I, and Dad was killed in a car accident when she was pregnant with #8.

We grew up in a devout Catholic home................Mom later talked about being pregnant every year, and how hard that was. Maybe it was a blessing that my father died when he did - who knows? I could have many more siblings!

Whatever the Duggars do is their business - what I don't care for is the exploitation of this family for a "reality" TV series. Ugggh.....I'm sure it helps with their finances, but really????? Is this what Jesus would do? lol.

And seriously - JIMBOB from Arkansas? How much more clichéd can you get than that?

My mum had 11 children, and my nana told me once that she was scared every time that she was going to get pregnant again. After her 11th, the doctor insisted she get sterilised as another baby could kill her. The catholic church then kicked her out for going through with it. I think religion just brainwashes some people
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I mostly feel very sorry for their children, because every single one of them has been very sheltered and really not given any real choice in how they want to live because they have not been exposed to normal society. All they know is a very backwards view of relationships and anyone not like them. They have absolutely no knowledge of modern science, logic, the arts, nor history. They simply regurgitate what their parents tell them without question. The older children raise the younger ones because mom and dad are too busy being pregnant and running the house and business to maintain the household to parent.

However, while I might not agree with their choices, it's not up to me to choose what they do with their lives.
  • macpatti
    Options
    I grew up with 7 siblings - could have been 8 (or more!), but Mom had a miscarriage between my older brother and I, and Dad was killed in a car accident when she was pregnant with #8.

We grew up in a devout Catholic home................Mom later talked about being pregnant every year, and how hard that was. Maybe it was a blessing that my father died when he did - who knows? I could have many more siblings!

Whatever the Duggars do is their business - what I don't care for is the exploitation of this family for a "reality" TV series. Ugggh.....I'm sure it helps with their finances, but really????? Is this what Jesus would do? lol.

And seriously - JIMBOB from Arkansas? How much more clichéd can you get than that?

My mum had 11 children, and my nana told me once that she was scared every time that she was going to get pregnant again. After her 11th, the doctor insisted she get sterilised as another baby could kill her. The catholic church then kicked her out for going through with it. I think religion just brainwashes some people

Where did your mom live? What year was that? I find it hard to believe that she was excommunicated because she followed doctor's orders.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options

Where did your mom live? What year was that? I find it hard to believe that she was excommunicated because she followed doctor's orders.

Sadly, communities that are very strict about birth control and such still exist. Many of these communities do not believe in modern medicine either.
  • macpatti
    Options

Sadly, communities that are very strict about birth control and such still exist. Many of these communities do not believe in modern medicine either.

I'm quite curious what Catholic community would excommunicate for following doctor's orders.
  • jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options

I'm quite curious what Catholic community would excommunicate for following doctor's orders.

Patti-- aren't there denominations of sorts within Catholicism, as well? Kind of like the difference in Independent Baptist, Freewill Baptist, Primitive Baptist, Southern Baptist, etc.?
  • Tams1408
    Options
    Thinking now would not be the time to say that I live about 10 minutes from the Duggars LOL
  • macpatti
    Options

Patti-- aren't there denominations of sorts within Catholicism, as well? Kind of like the difference in Independent Baptist, Freewill Baptist, Primitive Baptist, Southern Baptist, etc.?

Jenna~ Catholicism by its nature is heirarchical. Faithful Catholics conform to the teachings of the church, which is unified and has an overarching sense of direction. You can have those who identify themselves as "liberal" Catholics or "conservative" Catholics, but not different denominations. It is hard to believe that there would be a formal excommunication done by any Catholic church on someone who followed doctor's orders and was sterilized. This is why I'm curious about this claim. We will probably be scolded and told to "take this to our group".......
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options

well im not making it up. I would say probably about 50 years ago. I believe they were living in Shepton Mallet at the time, but it may have been Colchester. Why??