Shakeology?!?

Options

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Actually I could respond to most of those questions, but it's obvious it was just thrown up there to make someone sound really smart and cool and like the people that take the product don't know what they're taking. Most of it bears no relevance on the "normal" consumer. And where does half of it even come from? Are you a scientist? A manufacturing expert? Or do you just spend an awful lot of time on google and really enjoy harassing people that use and believe in the product?

so "normal" consumers shouldn't care about the quality of ingredients at all? Or maybe they would like to know if they are getting their money's worth
  • gooteek
    Options
    How about I fix you up with a REAL dietician on our team Acg67....someone that has already done all of this BS you are posing as knowing so much about? It is clear you just want to bash the product and have not even given it a chance or read through anything other than a label or two. Somehow I take the credibility of open heart surgeons and seasoned medical professionals over you....as everyone else should!

When you visit the site (most likely for the first time), be careful not to trip all over the facts laid out from doctors and people that have had it work for IBS, Type II diabetes, and a number of other things besides just losing weight. Please do not look to hard at the 24 rating on the glycemic index (fact) or the TRUE food source that are far superior to your argument.

It is clear you found your calling in life...you are very good at throwing around what little you know and trying to pass yourself off as an expert. Just let me know and I will pass you off to our CERTIFIED dietitians....and then maybe you will stop harassing people with your gym gospel.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Why not refute his statements? You're just fueling the fire here.
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    ack
  • Acg67
    Options
    How about I fix you up with a REAL dietician on our team Acg67....someone that has already done all of this BS you are posing as knowing so much about? It is clear you just want to bash the product and have not even given it a chance or read through anything other than a label or two. Somehow I take the credibility of open heart surgeons and seasoned medical professionals over you....as everyone else should!

When you visit the site (most likely for the first time), be careful not to trip all over the facts laid out from doctors and people that have had it work for IBS, Type II diabetes, and a number of other things besides just losing weight. Please do not look to hard at the 24 rating on the glycemic index (fact) or the TRUE food source that are far superior to your argument.

It is clear you found your calling in life...you are very good at throwing around what little you know and trying to pass yourself off as an expert. Just let me know and I will pass you off to our CERTIFIED dietitians....and then maybe you will stop harassing people with your gym gospel.

Ah ok, so just because a doctor or two is backing a product that means it's awesome and above reproach?

please do tell what relevance GI rating has on your avg person?

and i'm guessing that quality and bio availability of vitamin forms makes no difference?
  • tinkphoenix
    tinkphoenix Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    IMHO when you tout your ingredients as coming from healthy/natural sources, the burden of proof falls on you to know exactly where they come from and why

would you like me to send you the documentation on where they come from? I know the answers, but writing a book report when the resources are available elsewhere is ridiculous...
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    IMHO when you tout your ingredients as coming from healthy/natural sources, the burden of proof falls on you to know exactly where they come from and why

would you like me to send you the documentation on where they come from? I know the answers, but writing a book report when the resources are available elsewhere is ridiculous...

Not sure I understand. The burden of proof is on you / shakeology, not I. The best way to make your point HERE (vs arguing about it) is to state what you have. Wouldn't that be MUCH easier than the argument you've been participating for the last how many days?
  • tinkphoenix
    Options

Actually I could respond to most of those questions, but it's obvious it was just thrown up there to make someone sound really smart and cool and like the people that take the product don't know what they're taking. Most of it bears no relevance on the "normal" consumer. And where does half of it even come from? Are you a scientist? A manufacturing expert? Or do you just spend an awful lot of time on google and really enjoy harassing people that use and believe in the product?

so "normal" consumers shouldn't care about the quality of ingredients at all? Or maybe they would like to know if they are getting their money's worth

No...you do love to twist things, don't you..."normal people" don't know what NSF Certification Guideline 306 is or GMP requirements in NSF/ANSI blahblahblah....

Nor does that particular information have relevance to them and the usefulness of the product. When you go into GNC and buy a supplement, do you ask them that too?? When you go into a grocery store do you do the same?

Normal people don't know the difference between niancin vs inositol hexanicotinate, nor would they ask the question. I know that IH is 80% niacin and 20% inositol, but do studies reveal a substantial difference in results? No. Do most vitamins and supplements other than Shakeology use IH instead? No.

Normal people don't care about alpha and beta carotene because they aren't well versed in it - and the fact that alpha carotene is one of the most abundant carotenoids in the N.A. diet may be the reason they don't feel the need to add more...

Or maybe the question of the copper ratio. Again, most people haven't researched that, nor do they care. The reason BB doesn't put more into Shakeology is because of the risk of copper toxicity. It is not meant to replace an entire diet, just supplement it and people get copper from other sources, like cereal. 7.5:1 vs 10:1 is still pretty freaking awesome...

On prop blends, practically every supplement manufacturer out there has prop blends. I have used pre-workout forumulas that won't even tell me the amount of creatine they put in it...industry standard....

Do I really need to go on to show that you just like to harass people and make lots of noise and bash a product for no apparent good reason other than it is fun for you to get people riled up...
  • StrengthIsBeautiful
    Options

No...you do love to twist things, don't you..."normal people" don't know what NSF Certification Guideline 306 is or GMP requirements in NSF/ANSI blahblahblah....

Nor does that particular information have relevance to them and the usefulness of the product. When you go into GNC and buy a supplement, do you ask them that too?? When you go into a grocery store do you do the same?

Normal people don't know the difference between niancin vs inositol hexanicotinate, nor would they ask the question. I know that IH is 80% niacin and 20% inositol, but do studies reveal a substantial difference in results? No. Do most vitamins and supplements other than Shakeology use IH instead? No.

Normal people don't care about alpha and beta carotene because they aren't well versed in it - and the fact that alpha carotene is one of the most abundant carotenoids in the N.A. diet may be the reason they don't feel the need to add more...

Or maybe the question of the copper ratio. Again, most people haven't researched that, nor do they care. The reason BB doesn't put more into Shakeology is because of the risk of copper toxicity. It is not meant to replace an entire diet, just supplement it and people get copper from other sources, like cereal. 7.5:1 vs 10:1 is still pretty freaking awesome...

On prop blends, practically every supplement manufacturer out there has prop blends. I have used pre-workout forumulas that won't even tell me the amount of creatine they put in it...industry standard....

Do I really need to go on to show that you just like to harass people and make lots of noise and bash a product for no apparent good reason other than it is fun for you to get people riled up...

Okay, now I have to post.
    I've been following this thread, as I'm sure many people have. I would not go as far to call myself "normal", but I think your response here is insulting to a great deal of people who use MFP.
    This is a fitness site, and most of the members who use it are constantly in search of more and better knowledge of their bodies, their health, their diets, etc. Please don't be so eager to say that "normal" people don't care about these things, because a lot of us do. I'm sure I'm not the only one following this thread to see the answers to Acg67's question.
    I also think many of your answers have been cop-outs.
    The questions Acg67 has asked are good ones.
    You are the one twisting things.
    But most of all, you should know that most if not all MFP members DO care a great deal about what they put in their bodies. They read labels and ask questions. How pompous of you to think that they don't.
  • Acg67
    Options

"No...you do love to twist things, don't you..."normal people" don't know what NSF Certification Guideline 306 is or GMP requirements in NSF/ANSI blahblahblah...."

and if they googled it maybe they would care, and usually it is listed on the supp or website that it is manufactured in a GMP certified facility

"Nor does that particular information have relevance to them and the usefulness of the product. When you go into GNC and buy a supplement, do you ask them that too?? When you go into a grocery store do you do the same?"

it goes to the usefulness to make sure the product is both safe and you are getting what the label actually says. read the news and see what just happened to the big supp company SciFit

http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm281017.htm

and i would never buy a supp from GNC and i've yes i've asked fish mongers questions on various fish, where it was caught etc if it was not listed

"Normal people don't know the difference between niancin vs inositol hexanicotinate, nor would they ask the question. I know that IH is 80% niacin and 20% inositol, but do studies reveal a substantial difference in results? No. Do most vitamins and supplements other than Shakeology use IH instead? No. "

look at any quality multi on the market and yes they use IHN, as for studies;

Welsh AL, Ede M. Inositol hexanicotinate for improve nicotinic acid therapy. Int Record Med. 1961;174:9-15

Kruse W, Kruse W, Raetzer H, et al. Nocturnal inhibition of lipolysis in man by nicotinic acid and derivatives. Eur J Clin Pharmacol. 1979;16:11-15.

let's look at studies on alpha tocopherol and it's effect on the other E isomers

Olmedilla B, Granado F, Southon S, et al. A European multicentre, placebo-controlled
    supplementation study with alpha-tocopherol, carotene-rich palm oil, lutein or lycopene: analysis of
    serum responses. Clin Sci (Lond). 2002 Apr;102(4):447-56.

Handelman GJ, Machlin LJ, Fitch K, et al. Oral alpha-tocopherol supplements decrease plasma
    gamma-tocopherol levels in humans. J Nutr. 1985 Jun;115(6):807-13.

Handelman GJ, Epstein WL, Peerson J, et al. Human adipose alpha-tocopherol and gammatocopherol kinetics during and after 1 y of alpha-tocopherol supplementation. Am J Clin Nutr. 1994
    May;59(5):1025-32.

"On prop blends, practically every supplement manufacturer out there has prop blends. I have used pre-workout forumulas that won't even tell me the amount of creatine they put in it...industry standard.... "

you're right a lot of supp companies do use prop blends even through a lot of people frown upon them. i personally use a pre wo with a prop blend, but A) it doesn't cost me $4 a serving, so i'm not really worried about label filler and B) the company has an excellent track record with their other products and their reps are very knowledgeable and certainly not hostile if someone asks them a question

"Do I really need to go on to show that you just like to harass people and make lots of noise and bash a product for no apparent good reason other than it is fun for you to get people riled up..."

and who have i harassed or what product have i bashed by asking a series of questions about the product? do all beachbody coaches get this defensive and angry at questions about shakeology?
  • jessbennett1986
    Options
    I was on shakeology and liked it. I was a coach so I got 25% off. They(beach body coaches) mine specifically was jenelle summers) suggest you to only use half a serving for the first week because you can get sick and b in the bathroom all day. they are definitely NOT kidding! Shakeology "regulates" you so maybe that's a big factor in weight loss? I personally gave up on spending that much for it AND being a coach because it didn't work for me and I think it's a crock. How can anyone make it their sole income as some people do? It has no benefits or a 401k. If it crashed for some unknown reason those people wouldve wasted their lives and b without a job. Anyways I now use Jillian michaels protein shake which might not b as healthy as shakeology but I take a multivitamin so who cares? Good luck on your decision!
  • tinkphoenix
    Options
    I was on shakeology and liked it. I was a coach so I got 25% off. They(beach body coaches) mine specifically was jenelle summers) suggest you to only use half a serving for the first week because you can get sick and b in the bathroom all day. they are definitely NOT kidding! Shakeology "regulates" you so maybe that's a big factor in weight loss? I personally gave up on spending that much for it AND being a coach because it didn't work for me and I think it's a crock. How can anyone make it their sole income as some people do? It has no benefits or a 401k. If it crashed for some unknown reason those people wouldve wasted their lives and b without a job. Anyways I now use Jillian michaels protein shake which might not b as healthy as shakeology but I take a multivitamin so who cares? Good luck on your decision!

Thank you for basing your decision on experience with the product! :) It certainly doesn't work for everyone, but at least you speak from experience
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    All I'm getting from the "coach"s argument is that her sales-targets are those that are under-educated in nutrition.

That REALLY makes it sound like a scam.
  • tinkphoenix
    Options

"No...you do love to twist things, don't you..."normal people" don't know what NSF Certification Guideline 306 is or GMP requirements in NSF/ANSI blahblahblah...."

and if they googled it maybe they would care, and usually it is listed on the supp or website that it is manufactured in a GMP certified facility

"Nor does that particular information have relevance to them and the usefulness of the product. When you go into GNC and buy a supplement, do you ask them that too?? When you go into a grocery store do you do the same?"

it goes to the usefulness to make sure the product is both safe and you are getting what the label actually says. read the news and see what just happened to the big supp company SciFit

http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm281017.htm

and i would never buy a supp from GNC and i've yes i've asked fish mongers questions on various fish, where it was caught etc if it was not listed

"Normal people don't know the difference between niancin vs inositol hexanicotinate, nor would they ask the question. I know that IH is 80% niacin and 20% inositol, but do studies reveal a substantial difference in results? No. Do most vitamins and supplements other than Shakeology use IH instead? No. "

look at any quality multi on the market and yes they use IHN, as for studies;

Welsh AL, Ede M. Inositol hexanicotinate for improve nicotinic acid therapy. Int Record Med. 1961;174:9-15

Kruse W, Kruse W, Raetzer H, et al. Nocturnal inhibition of lipolysis in man by nicotinic acid and derivatives. Eur J Clin Pharmacol. 1979;16:11-15.

let's look at studies on alpha tocopherol and it's effect on the other E isomers

Olmedilla B, Granado F, Southon S, et al. A European multicentre, placebo-controlled
    supplementation study with alpha-tocopherol, carotene-rich palm oil, lutein or lycopene: analysis of
    serum responses. Clin Sci (Lond). 2002 Apr;102(4):447-56.

Handelman GJ, Machlin LJ, Fitch K, et al. Oral alpha-tocopherol supplements decrease plasma
    gamma-tocopherol levels in humans. J Nutr. 1985 Jun;115(6):807-13.

Handelman GJ, Epstein WL, Peerson J, et al. Human adipose alpha-tocopherol and gammatocopherol kinetics during and after 1 y of alpha-tocopherol supplementation. Am J Clin Nutr. 1994
    May;59(5):1025-32.

"On prop blends, practically every supplement manufacturer out there has prop blends. I have used pre-workout forumulas that won't even tell me the amount of creatine they put in it...industry standard.... "

you're right a lot of supp companies do use prop blends even through a lot of people frown upon them. i personally use a pre wo with a prop blend, but A) it doesn't cost me $4 a serving, so i'm not really worried about label filler and B) the company has an excellent track record with their other products and their reps are very knowledgeable and certainly not hostile if someone asks them a question

"Do I really need to go on to show that you just like to harass people and make lots of noise and bash a product for no apparent good reason other than it is fun for you to get people riled up..."

and who have i harassed or what product have i bashed by asking a series of questions about the product? do all beachbody coaches get this defensive and angry at questions about shakeology?

It is manufactured in a GMP facility. You are asking questions that you know most people won't be able to answer to make them look stupid. It's not defensiveness. It's silliness. I can't believe I have wasted this much time on the conversation.
  • tinkphoenix
    Options
    All I'm getting from the "coach"s argument is that her sales-targets are those that are under-educated in nutrition.

yeah, add fuel to the fire. I could write a discertation on the quality ingredients in the product and you still wouldn't believe it. Whatever... The fact is that it works. Period. Would you like to explain to me the chemical ingredients that are being thrown out and explain why you should care if the product works? I have a headache. DONE DONE DONE.
  • Acg67
    Options
    It is manufactured in a GMP facility. You are asking questions that you know most people won't be able to answer to make them look stupid. It's not defensiveness. It's silliness. I can't believe I have wasted this much time on the conversation.

do you know why i asked? because nowhere on the site is that listed

http://www.shakeology.com/

now compare to these companies, why do they feel the need to ensure their customers it is manufactured in a GMP certified facility, if "normal" folk couldn't care or know that that means?

http://www.controlledlabs.com/ (see upper right)

http://www.allmaxnutrition.com/products-type/creatine-monohydrate/ (scroll to the bottom)

http://www.optimumnutrition.com/about.php (scroll to quality counts)
  • Acg67
    Options

yeah, add fuel to the fire. I could write a discertation on the quality ingredients in the product and you still wouldn't believe it. Whatever... The fact is that it works. Period. Would you like to explain to me the chemical ingredients that are being thrown out and explain why you should care if the product works? I have a headache. DONE DONE DONE.

yes don't ever ask questions, if it works it works. just like HCG treatments "work"
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options

yes don't ever ask questions, if it works it works. just like HCG treatments "work"
    exactly. and why do we need to fda? just let companies put whatever they want in our foods and call it healthy/natural/whatever. they would never lie just to sell something!
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options

yeah, add fuel to the fire. I could write a discertation on the quality ingredients in the product and you still wouldn't believe it.

It would help if you knew how to spell dissertation.
    Whatever... The fact is that it works. Period. Would you like to explain to me the chemical ingredients that are being thrown out and explain why you should care if the product works? I have a headache. DONE DONE DONE.

Fine.

Forget the ingredients list. Show me some peer-reviewed, placebo-controlled, double-blind tests with human subjects that show a single statistically significant advantage to using your product over any other.

Testimonials are meaningless. People pay out the *kitten* for this product because they believe it will work. If they believe it works, it will. It's called the placebo effect and it's well documented.
  • oumick03
    oumick03 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I don't post much, but I figured this would be a heated one. I bought shakeology....never would again. I still have half a bag (anyone want it?) I PERSONALLY can't replace a meal with a shake...and the calories are too high (particularly after I add what is needed to make me be able to drink it) for a snack. If it works for you, that is great, but I am loving the EAS carb-advantage strawberry for a snack...100 cal, super low carb, decent protein.

That's all i've got...probably useless info!