Say your 15 yr old daughter requests Birth Control

Options

Replies

• KMSForLife
    Options
    OMG! I am about to be disliked by many . . .

It is not okay for a 15 year old to have sex. I will not give my children the tools necessary to have sex. If my daughter wants to be a grown up and engage in grown up activities then she better damn well be prepared to go to the clinic and pick herself up some birth control pills.

Why in the hell does anyone shrug their shoulders and say "oh, you want to have sex - ok - then let me tell you the reasons you shouldn't and then take you to the doctor and get you protected so that it's ok". ARGGGG! Maybe we should just pass out open invitations for sex to occur.

Am I stupid - no. Am I living in the dark - no. I get that kids have sex. I will NEVER give the impression to my kids that I think it's ok for them to engage in sexual activities. My god - if I kid isn't old enough to even have a job to pay for the "protection" then bring the hammer down.

This really pisses me off. Come on folks . . .
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    I've never been invited!

Didn't realize invites were necessary. Can it not be found with a search? Regardless I've invited you and if anyone else would like to join let me, Emmydoodles or Kapeluza know.

Sorry for the thread derail. Mea Culpa.
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    I'm confused, Brett. Where did I pretend to say something I didn't? Find me a comment in here where I called someone a bad parent or insulted someone for their choice in this discussion. I'm explaining my position and having to defend it to some who think it's bad parenting. I'm also expressing shock that I'm in the minority.

You never said "you're a bad parent." But if you can look at the second quote of yours that I posted (seriously I can't keep up with all the quote /quote to post is again) and not think you're passing judgment on those who give their kids birth control, JUST as they have judged you for not giving it to your kids..well I don't know what to tell you.

It's ok. Hell it's normal! You feel differently about the subject. No reason you shouldn't have trouble comprehending why someone would choose what they have. Just don't pretend you never said a single bad thing to anyone who felt differently than you. You quoted people and expressed your shock and dismay at choices they've made for their own children. That's fine, we've ALL been doing it. Just stop pretending you're above it all.

When I made that comment to the person about personally insulting each other it was because of a direct insult to me and my family. That is quite different than my expressing shock at some of the comments. I am also shocked and dismayed at many things in society, but I don't "judge" people who make different choices than I. When I use the word "judge", I mean it from the position of God being our only real judge. If my saying that I'm shocked that people would shop lift in front of their children is "judgement" in your book, then I suppose I'm guilty of that.

Someone posted an interesting question on my wall regarding this thread (should be a whole other topic, I suppose), but her question was: If your teenager came to you and asked you to be their designated driver so they could drink responsibly, would you? If your child asked you to buy him/her clean needles so they wouldn't get a disease when they shot up, would you? I found those to be interesting questions.
    You are setting up strawmen now,there is no rational comparison.
  • FaugHorn
    FaugHorn Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options

It is not okay for a 15 year old to have sex. I will not give my children the tools necessary to have sex. If my daughter wants to be a grown up and engage in grown up activities then she better damn well be prepared to go to the clinic and pick herself up some birth control pills.

Why in the hell does anyone shrug their shoulders and say "oh, you want to have sex - ok - then let me tell you the reasons you shouldn't and then take you to the doctor and get you protected so that it's ok". ARGGGG! Maybe we should just pass out open invitations for sex to occur.

Am I stupid - no. Am I living in the dark - no. I get that kids have sex. I will NEVER give the impression to my kids that I think it's ok for them to engage in sexual activities. My god - if I kid isn't old enough to even have a job to pay for the "protection" then bring the hammer down.

Oh honey...they're BORN with the tools to have sex, just not safely
  • KMSForLife
    Options

Yes, you're right. What a great point, Dear. I'm surprised I didn't think of that.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • Lisa_222
    Lisa_222 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Be glad she's asking you now and not pregnant already. My rule for my girls was one and one only. "Don't ever do anything you don't want to do". I'd teach her all the facts about birth control, how to properly use it,as well as STD's. and provide her with the means to use it. If you don't know all the facts yourself, google them together. I raised my daughters that way and they grew up to be very responsible when it came to that. If you taught them well, give them credit to make choices for their own life, as long as they realize that they must live with any and all consequences. Fifteen is old enough to have sex whether you like it or not, so there's no reason not to make sure they are protected.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    I'm confused, Brett. Where did I pretend to say something I didn't? Find me a comment in here where I called someone a bad parent or insulted someone for their choice in this discussion. I'm explaining my position and having to defend it to some who think it's bad parenting. I'm also expressing shock that I'm in the minority.

You never said "you're a bad parent." But if you can look at the second quote of yours that I posted (seriously I can't keep up with all the quote /quote to post is again) and not think you're passing judgment on those who give their kids birth control, JUST as they have judged you for not giving it to your kids..well I don't know what to tell you.

It's ok. Hell it's normal! You feel differently about the subject. No reason you shouldn't have trouble comprehending why someone would choose what they have. Just don't pretend you never said a single bad thing to anyone who felt differently than you. You quoted people and expressed your shock and dismay at choices they've made for their own children. That's fine, we've ALL been doing it. Just stop pretending you're above it all.

When I made that comment to the person about personally insulting each other it was because of a direct insult to me and my family. That is quite different than my expressing shock at some of the comments. I am also shocked and dismayed at many things in society, but I don't "judge" people who make different choices than I. When I use the word "judge", I mean it from the position of God being our only real judge. If my saying that I'm shocked that people would shop lift in front of their children is "judgement" in your book, then I suppose I'm guilty of that.

Someone posted an interesting question on my wall regarding this thread (should be a whole other topic, I suppose), but her question was: If your teenager came to you and asked you to be their designated driver so they could drink responsibly, would you? If your child asked you to buy him/her clean needles so they wouldn't get a disease when they shot up, would you? I found those to be interesting questions.

We weren't "comparing". This thread just led us to ponder other questions.
  • jend114
    jend114 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I know what I was thinking about doing at 15/16 so I would rather my daughter come to me so we can talk about it rather than her come home pregnant
  • Carl01
    Options

Then why throw it into the discussion here if not to suggest it is the same type of moral equivalent ?
  • macpatti
    Options

Then why throw it into the discussion here if not to suggest it is the same type of moral equivalent ?

I believe I said it belonged in another topic. I mentioned it because it raises other questions.
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I don't think any of us are saying it's OK. Educating your child and giving them the means to protect themself from potentially lifelong diseases and life altering consequences if need isn't the same as saying go ahead have sex now have fun! Not to me anyway. If they are coming to you and asking it's for a reason.... and clearly they can have sex without birth control and without your consent. If my child was going on birth control I would want to be at the Dr to make sure everything was explained properly and all questions answered. Not everyone on birth control has sex or goes on it to have sex. Some people go on it because of extremely painful and irregular periods.

When I was growing up no one spoke to their parents about having sex or protection for that matter and many girls I knew ended up in a bad situation having to make decisions no teenage should have to make.

Every parent is different. I mean it's shocking to me that parents allow their kids to sit in their rooms all day and night playing video games, watching tv, and surfing the web then wondering why their kids obese/unhealthy/probably vitamin D deficient...
  • macpatti
    Options
    I don't think any of us are saying it's OK. Educating your child and giving them the means to protect themself from potentially lifelong diseases and life altering consequences if need isn't the same as saying go ahead have sex now have fun! Not to me anyway. If they are coming to you and asking it's for a reason.... and clearly they can have sex without birth control and without your consent. If my child was going on birth control I would want to be at the Dr to make sure everything was explained properly and all questions answered. Not everyone on birth control has sex or goes on it to have sex. Some people go on it because of extremely painful and irregular periods.

When I was growing up no one spoke to their parents about having sex or protection for that matter and many girls I knew ended up in a bad situation having to make decisions no teenage should have to make.

Every parent is different. I mean it's shocking to me that parents allow their kids to sit in their rooms all day and night playing video games, watching tv, and surfing the web then wondering why their kids obese/unhealthy/probably vitamin D deficient...

Great last paragraph!
  • Carl01
    Options

I believe I said it belonged in another topic. I mentioned it because it raises other questions.
    Which was like saying " This reminds me of when my son/daughter asked me for a gun to shoot another kid at a school".
    It has no bearing on the topic and only is thrown put to suggest they are the same decision to be made.
    I
  • macpatti
    Options

Which was like saying " This reminds me of when my son/daughter asked me for a gun to shoot another kid at a school".
    It has no bearing on the topic and only is thrown put to suggest they are the same decision to be made.
    I

Ok, Carl. I'm glad you know why the person who posted it on my wall did and you know why I told Brett about it.
  • KMSForLife
    Options
    @Carl01

Yet, you keep responding - let it go.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    The one thing I'm we all can agree on...

We need to learn to edit our incessant quoting!

:wink: :laugh: :tongue:
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    I kind of agree with this, i mean if the 15 year old could be mature enough to go to the clinic to get BC then I would think they could maturely make the decision to have or not have sex. Most 15 year olds are tooo immature so majority should not be having sex, ok all of them shouldnt be having sex. They just arent matured enough.

• WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    Birth control messed up my hormones and migraines way too much to wish that on anyone else.
    Also, now I know they can be an abortifacient:

In the pamphlet "A Guide To The Methods Of Contraception", "a service of" Ortho Pharmaceutical Corporation, the following language is used to describe the action of birth control pills:

"Most pills are a combination of two hormones (progestogen and estrogen) and are called combination oral contraceptives. There are some pills which contain only one hormone (a progestogen). These are called progestogen-only pills.... In the pill that contains both hormones (combination pills),the estrogen prevents pregnancy by stopping the development of the egg in the ovary. The progestogen changesthe mucusinthe cervix and helps preventthe sperm from reaching the egg.Also, the lining of the uterus does not become fully developed so that even if an egg does ripen and is fertilized, there is little likelihood it would become implanted..."

So if people believe that life begins at conception, it may not be a method of birth control they want to use.
  • macpatti
    Options
    Birth control messed up my hormones and migraines way too much to wish that on anyone else.
    Also, now I know they can be an abortifacient:

In the pamphlet "A Guide To The Methods Of Contraception", "a service of" Ortho Pharmaceutical Corporation, the following language is used to describe the action of birth control pills:

"Most pills are a combination of two hormones (progestogen and estrogen) and are called combination oral contraceptives. There are some pills which contain only one hormone (a progestogen). These are called progestogen-only pills.... In the pill that contains both hormones (combination pills),the estrogen prevents pregnancy by stopping the development of the egg in the ovary. The progestogen changesthe mucusinthe cervix and helps preventthe sperm from reaching the egg.Also, the lining of the uterus does not become fully developed so that even if an egg does ripen and is fertilized, there is little likelihood it would become implanted..."

So if people believe that life begins at conception, it may not be a method of birth control they want to use.

:flowerforyou: