Burger King ... you are kidding me..

Options

Replies

• Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    That doesn't sound appealing to me at all. I'm vegetarian so its super easy to avoid bad food & I have never really liked fast food anyway. Its so low quality looking & cheap ingredients, Just looking at the fatty meat is enough to turn me away from it... If I ever have a kid they will NEVER eat fast food, I don't agree with parents using mcdonalds or somewhere as a treat/reward it sets you up for bad eating habits. I want my kids to be all organic, and hopefully vegetarian, if you have the money why not do the best you can for your kids, I would.

Love this btw!

Sounds good to someone that doesn't have a kid. Put it this way, my daughter doesn't even particuarly LIKE burgers. Healthy or not. We rarely go to any fast food joint. But if her buddies are eating there and they are all eating fast food, I don't have a problem with giving her nuggets, fries and a milk/juice. I swear being that parent that forbids the kid to eat the same stuff as her friends is more damaging though alienation than just letting the kid eat a burger once in a while.
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    Thank you. I teach in an inner city district. This deal would be a godsend for the single mother who is depending on her 13 year old to pick up dinner and feed her younger kids, because she is on her way to a second job. In some areas in this country this is not the exception, but closer to the rule.

This sounds like poor education and planning perpetuating poor health among the poor. There is no reason a 13 yo couldn't prepare a simple inexpensive but nutritious dinner at home and in the long run save the family money not only through reduced food costs, but by keeping the children healthier. And healthy children miss less school, and education is the best way to pull yourself out of poverty.

She just has to watch Rachel Ray and get'er done in 20 min right? You are right in the small sense that they "could" do this. But then again, if we lived in a perfect world this site (and it's members) wouldn't exist now would it?

I find it mildly interesting that we bash people for eating fast food when we are all on a website that caters to losing weight/eating healthier. Hypocrital. Once we all found the "way", we all have this holier than tho attittude about those that don't think like the new found "all knowing". People here (not necessarily you) have this "born again christian thing" about nutrition and frankly, it's slightly annoying when it goes overboard. (like in this thread but not necessarily you)
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    I find it mildly interesting that we bash people for eating fast food when we are all on a website that caters to losing weight/eating healthier. Hypocrital. Once we all found the "way", we all have this holier than tho attittude about those that don't think like the new found "all knowing". People here (not necessarily you) have this "born again christian thing" about nutrition and frankly, it's slightly annoying when it goes overboard. (like in this thread but not necessarily you)

Mildly. HA!
    It is HIGHLY interesting!
    I. Could NOT. Agree with you MORE!

I read your posts about your finanicals. Hope it improves. Another thing is just because you buy stuff any fast food places, doesn't mean you automatically buy burgers, fries etc..... Even if you subbed the fries with apples, that would cut down on the calories. Or have a salad if the child is willing (my daughter actually likes salad, go figure).
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I teach in an inner city district. This deal would be a godsend for the single mother who is depending on her 13 year old to pick up dinner and feed her younger kids, because she is on her way to a second job. In some areas in this country this is not the exception, but closer to the rule.

This sounds like poor education and planning perpetuating poor health among the poor. There is no reason a 13 yo couldn't prepare a simple inexpensive but nutritious dinner at home and in the long run save the family money not only through reduced food costs, but by keeping the children healthier. And healthy children miss less school, and education is the best way to pull yourself out of poverty.

In an ideal world yes. The truth is that these days, most affluent/spoiled TWENTY year olds can't even fix a meal, let alone a poverty-ridden 13 year old.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    And this sounds like someone who has never been in the situation.
    Of course education would help.
    But it isn't always there.
    Who is going to teach the 13 year old to cook?

It isn't even that. My point was that you have to have basic ingredients and cookware to DO something with the veggies you buy at the store. And those can add up.

Say you're moving into a new house with NOTHING in the cupboards. How much is your INITIAL grocery trip going to cost you?
    (Especially if you've never had practice grocery shopping?)
    Of course, there may be situations where it is cheaper to buy prepared food than to prepare your own (someone without cookware, someone in the desert with nothing but a McDonalds within 100 miles, etc). Fortunately, through hard work and common sense, these are circumstances that can be overcome eventually. I can get anything I need to arm my kitchen and condiment my food at the dollar store.

The grand majority of folks that have the means to buy fast food have the means to buy and prepare nutritious food. It's their choice. Nobody is forcing them buy it.
  • SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    The government lets plenty of corporations get away with selling poison. Look at all the FDA approved drugs that have been recalled for killing people. If you think the government cares what McDonald's is feeding you, then apparently you are in denial.

Let me say, yet again, that I'm not JUDGING anyone for eating fast food. I eat it myself. I'm just saying there's no point in denying what it really is.
    You're awfully free with that "poison" word. The word has a specific meaning, and fast food simply doesn't satisfy it. Continuing this hyperbolic tone really undercuts your credibility.

Many ingredients in fast food are poisonous in larger quantities. Small doses of poison are still poison. I'm not a nutritionist, and I'm not touting myself as an expert. And I'm not some holier-than-thou jerk who lives off of organic spinach and tofu. I eat fast food, just like pretty much everyone else in the developed world. I'm just sayin' it's junk. :)

Water will kill you in large enough quantities. So will oxygen. Those quantities are smaller than you'd think. Fast food is not literally "poison". It's not as good for you as spinich or tofu, but it's not "poison". Seriously.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

In an ideal world yes. The truth is that these days, most affluent/spoiled TWENTY year olds can't even fix a meal, let alone a poverty-ridden 13 year old.

That was my point. Applauding BK for offering crap food deals and continuing the cycle that has led to an obesity epidemic among children is just bringing us further from the ideal.
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    That was my point. Applauding BK for offering crap food deals and continuing the cycle that has led to an obesity epidemic among children is just bringing us further from the ideal.
    It's the parents continuing the cycle, not BK.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Agreed. But it was an MFP poster applauding them for it (called the deal a "godsend").
  • kateroot
    kateroot Posts: 435
    Options
    The government lets plenty of corporations get away with selling poison. Look at all the FDA approved drugs that have been recalled for killing people. If you think the government cares what McDonald's is feeding you, then apparently you are in denial.

Let me say, yet again, that I'm not JUDGING anyone for eating fast food. I eat it myself. I'm just saying there's no point in denying what it really is.
    You're awfully free with that "poison" word. The word has a specific meaning, and fast food simply doesn't satisfy it. Continuing this hyperbolic tone really undercuts your credibility.

Many ingredients in fast food are poisonous in larger quantities. Small doses of poison are still poison. I'm not a nutritionist, and I'm not touting myself as an expert. And I'm not some holier-than-thou jerk who lives off of organic spinach and tofu. I eat fast food, just like pretty much everyone else in the developed world. I'm just sayin' it's junk. :)

Water will kill you in large enough quantities. So will oxygen. Those quantities are smaller than you'd think. Fast food is not literally "poison". It's not as good for you as spinich or tofu, but it's not "poison". Seriously.

You may want to read the whole thread before you respond to one specific post. I already admitted the fact that "poison" was a poor word choice. Crap, junk, synthetic chemicals? Yes. Poison? Maybe not so much.
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    Agreed. But it was an MFP poster applauding them for it (called the deal a "godsend").
    Gotcha. Man, is it 5pm yet?
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    You may want to read the whole thread before you respond to one specific post. I already admitted the fact that "poison" was a poor word choice. Crap, junk, synthetic chemicals? Yes. Poison? Maybe not so much.
    I noticed a while back -- sorry that you're still getting crap for that.

I officially absolve you of any wrongdoing, and you are forgiven. :laugh:

medieval-monk-costume-adult~t_22801199.jpg
  • SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    BK is business. Businesses are allowed to exist. While they are existing they are allowed to serve products. Doesn't matter if you or I like that product, they are still allowed. While selling those products, they are allowed to promote and price their products pretty much however they like. So they want to group several of their popular products together and market them to "families"? They're allowed to do that.

Human beings are people. People are allowed to exist. To continue existing, they require food. They are allowed to consume whatever food they feel fits into their life style, budget, and personal views. Doesn't matter if you or I like that food, they are still allowed. So they want to go through a drive thru and purchase a "family meal deal" that may or may not be a good deal and may or may not be healthy, gmo free, tofu based, vitamin infused, freeze dried, astronaut food? They're allowed to do that.

Go cry about it.
  • yesiamaduck
    yesiamaduck Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    If it's one thing this thread has seceded in.... is it made it apparently clear that a lot of people have high horses
  • kateroot
    Options
    My horse is actually short and fat. If I knew how to post a photo on here, I'd show you.

He eats a lot of BK. French fries, obviously, since he's a vegetarian.
  • yesiamaduck
    yesiamaduck Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    My horse is actually short and fat. If I knew how to post a photo on here, I'd show you.

Stop feeding him too many french fries, problem solved ;)
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    BK is business. Businesses are allowed to exist. While they are existing they are allowed to serve products. Doesn't matter if you or I like that product, they are still allowed. While selling those products, they are allowed to promote and price their products pretty much however they like. So they want to group several of their popular products together and market them to "families"? They're allowed to do that.

Human beings are people. People are allowed to exist. To continue existing, they require food. They are allowed to consume whatever food they feel fits into their life style, budget, and personal views. Doesn't matter if you or I like that food, they are still allowed. So they want to go through a drive thru and purchase a "family meal deal" that may or may not be a good deal and may or may not be healthy, gmo free, tofu based, vitamin infused, freeze dried, astronaut food? They're allowed to do that.

Go cry about it.

<3 this!
  • kateroot
    Options

Stop feeding him too many french fries, problem solved ;)

Well, he doesn't really get human food. Just beer. But I am living proof that beer doesn't make you fat, so I don't know what his excuse is.