Friends on MFP with poor food diaries?

Options

Replies

• tonyavanwinkle2
    tonyavanwinkle2 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Good grief! It was just a question!! Holy cow, you need to chill.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    to all of you nay sayers if its none of our business then why be on this site looking for help and encouragement??

Because not everyone is on this site looking for help or encouragement. Some people just want a place to track their calories and exercise and make friends.

Exactly....unless you are my doctor...I don't really care what your opinion is, especially if I didn't ask for it! :flowerforyou:

Then wouldn't they simply not have friends or keep their diaries private?

This, right here.
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Options
    to all of you nay sayers if its none of our business then why be on this site looking for help and encouragement??

Because not everyone is on this site looking for help or encouragement. Some people just want a place to track their calories and exercise and make friends.

Exactly....unless you are my doctor...I don't really care what your opinion is, especially if I didn't ask for it! :flowerforyou:

C'mon..this site is more than just "yay, you burned some calories!" It's a social website and that plays a huge aspect in it and everyone uses the website differently....If you want someone's opinion, don't you generally ask for it? When it's given and wasnt' asked for, it can be taken in a very negative way. I don't have friends on here so they can tell me what I should eat...they know nothing about my history, my healthy,my life ect. The problem is that many people don't know when giving free advice is and isn't appropriate....calling out anyone randomly about their food choices is definately something that can be inappropriate. Many people, especially if they are new, don't even realize how to make their diary private and don't feel the need to do so until someone criticizes them....atleast that's what I've seen on here. If the OP wants to say something, she has every right too but the point is...she may not like what the person says after.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    As long as they are meeting their macros and micros and staying under their calories who cares? And quite frankly making comments to anyone about it will probably only deter their weight loss and make them feel like a failure. This is EXACTLY why I keep my diary private! Everyone always wants to put in their two cents! Maybe trying to compensate for their own insecurities about their diet? Also, does it piss anyone else off when people try and act like doctors or experts when clearly they are not?
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options

C'mon..this site is more than just "yay, you burned some calories!" It's a social website and that plays a huge aspect in it and everyone uses the website differently....If you want someone's opinion, don't you generally ask for it? When it's given and wasnt' asked for, it can be taken in a very negative way. I don't have friends on here so they can tell me what I should eat...they know nothing about my history, my healthy,my life ect. The problem is that many people don't know when giving free advice is and isn't appropriate....calling out anyone randomly about their food choices is definately something that can be inappropriate.

To a certain extent I agree with you, but that's why I keep my diary private. I have issues with binge eating and am not yet ready to open my diary, but it is a actually a goal of mine to get a place where I feel comfortable opening it up so that I can get feedback on it. I'm just not ready for that yet, so I keep it private because if it was open, I wouldn't expect people to comment on it all the time, but I wouldn't be hurt if they did.
  • misty8parker
    misty8parker Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    No one wants to be policed about what they eat. And most people are aware of "good" choices verses "bad" choices. We want to encourage openess and honesty so that we can first be honest with ourselves. I would have to say its no one's business and that we really don't know the whole picture anyway.
  • 226Muriel
    226Muriel Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I am really glad to see this posting....

Of course everyone wants their friends to eat/exercise in a healthy way, me included. Learning that if it is not on my side of the street leave it alone....In the past, I would have jumped in to "help" when it was not asked for....

So, thank you for reminding me to stay on my side of the street, unless that I am asked.
  • misty8parker
    Options
    I know, right? Awesome!!
  • misty8parker
    Options
    For real. Do it. See how it goes.
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Options

C'mon..this site is more than just "yay, you burned some calories!" It's a social website and that plays a huge aspect in it and everyone uses the website differently....If you want someone's opinion, don't you generally ask for it? When it's given and wasnt' asked for, it can be taken in a very negative way. I don't have friends on here so they can tell me what I should eat...they know nothing about my history, my healthy,my life ect. The problem is that many people don't know when giving free advice is and isn't appropriate....calling out anyone randomly about their food choices is definately something that can be inappropriate.

To a certain extent I agree with you, but that's why I keep my diary private. I have issues with binge eating and am not yet ready to open my diary, but it is a actually a goal of mine to get a place where I feel comfortable opening it up so that I can get feedback on it. I'm just not ready for that yet, so I keep it private because if it was open, I wouldn't expect people to comment on it all the time, but I wouldn't be hurt if they did.

Well we definately do agree on some points.

But the one obvious point we don't agree on is...while you wouldn't be hurt if someone commented, others may be. You really just never know. Obviously if it's a member you talk to every single day and have a close relationship and feel they would be open to your comments, comment away! But a friend you say hi to here and there...you have to be prepared for them to be offended. Both reactions are just human nature, I suppose. :)
  • Newf77
    Newf77 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    After my first 5k race, I had a jelly donut. And it. was. awesome! Between the race and other exercises I did that day, I burned a ton of calories, and was way under my goal. And I still remember someone commenting on the diary, "Better watch it with the donuts."[/quote]

In my best Homer Simpson voice "Donuts".
  • dalgirly
    dalgirly Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    For me it totally depends. I mean,

I like it when my bf points out that I've had crappy food for a few days, as that is nice and constructive. And he knows me well.

But for someone I have yet to trust to go lurking through my profile to tell me I suck at eating, I don't know if I'd appreciate it as much. Not to say someone here can't do that, but I need to at least gain some form of trust with that person first.

My issue with it mainly is that you don't know whats going on.

If you looked at my diary right now -- you'd see terrible things. But on Thursday its beer/wings/hockey night with my parents. And that I'm not giving up. On Friday at work, it was a friends last day before going on maternity leave, so we all went for thai food. And then on Sat, it was a girls day of cooking meals to freeze for the winter (all healthy meals at that), but we always have beer while we work, and go for dinner afterwards. Its once in a blue moon, but that's the kinda week I had. Its not an every week thing, but it ended up all happening in this week. (and that's why this week I've got to do a little extra exercise).
  • Forme4real2
    Options
    Maybe they have a baby that wakes them up at quarter to six in the morning like mine did, and they want to make the best of being awake two hours before the sun like I do, and they baked a ton of cookies yesterday like I did. And a chocolate cookie would be so good with their morning cup of coffee... Because maybe, just maybe, they are stemming off a foul mood so they don't create an e-bay account to try and sell the early bird baby to some poor SAP who thinks "see, babies are so cute and cuddly. Oh look! This one is on sale." It's illegal to sell babies. It's not illegal to have cookies for breakfast.
    I'm having a chocolate cookie.

See the only comment on that I would make is "yummy breakfast" :) I'm jealous!

DITO
  • RunningAddict
    RunningAddict Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    No I wouldn't its ok to make suggestions if you do it in the right way but different people have different struggles what is easy for you might not be so easy for another person. Until you have been in their shoes its really unfair to judge.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    The responses here kind of piss me off and I thought people on this site would have a more balanced response...

That says it all right there. You weren't looking for opinions, you were looking for validation, and when people disagreed with your choice to tell people they were eating wrong, it pissed you off.

Well, that's exactly how people will react when you disagree with THEIR choice of what foods they should be eating.

I hate to be the d-bag who quotes herself, but I didn't want this lost at the bottom of the last page. :wink:
  • KenziesMomma11
    KenziesMomma11 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I just ate a few slices of turkey and I've got blueberry muffins baking in the oven right now....I also had quite a few calories left over yesterday....
  • heykatieben
    heykatieben Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I vote for leading by example. Make your diary open, eat clean foods. Your friends will notice. :)
  • mrsmellymac
    mrsmellymac Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I drink nothing but vodka for breakfast

:laugh:
  • Melmade
    Melmade Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Um... I think advice like that would upset me. I am doing well to log things, even the bad stuff. I also write notes to see how I'm feeling those days and look back to check my diet vs. mood & weight, etc. That sort of advice would deter me from logging. :brokenheart:
  • StatutoryGrape
    Options
    People get over it!!! What are you hiding?

I have nothing to hide, but I don't need so called "friends" telling me how to eat. I started keeping track of what I ate to learn about myself and see where my eating habits are tripping me up from my goals. I don't care what anyone else eats on here. The people I have added as my MFP friends are still able to support and help me without seeing what I am eating.

This. I have a bit of a social phobia and don't really like people watching me eat to begin with, so having a public diary would be, for me, like being forced to eat in public 24/7 with a hundred sets of eyes on me. Freaky, and stressful. I log food because I'm curious about where I stand, and I know I can hold myself accountable. I don't need someone nitpicking my diary if I slip up here and there...all it would do is make me feel terrible about myself, and that's not what I need right now.