Replies

• t_rog
    t_rog Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Awwww c'mon guys. This thread just turned mean :-/
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I eat what some would consider some pretty crappy foods, like the asiago cheese bagel I have for breakfast most mornings, or the half of a garlic bread thick crust pepperoni pizza I had last night. But I've reached and surpassed all my weight loss and fitness goals.

I'm happy with my results. That's all that counts. If I wasn't happy with my results and was asking for advice or complaining that this wasn't working for me... that would be the time to say, "Hey, maybe lay off the pizza?"
  • Yakisoba
    Yakisoba Posts: 719 Member
    Options

This thread's been mean. Welcome. :D
  • t_rog
    t_rog Posts: 363 Member
    Options

You're right, but at least it's been a general mean-ness. Not targeted at a specific person. Just sayin.
  • Forme4real2
    Options
    Just my thoughts on how smoking affects others: It does, physically. I know that after being on my own and not being around smokers in my every day life, then going home to visit these smokers, I always get headaches and have trouble with my asthma just being in their houses. To me, it's different to ask someone to not smoke near you for that reason, than to ask someone to leave a beach (besides the rudeness factor).

I have that same issue. My mother and step dad are heavy smokers and were just here for a visit. They didn't smoke in the house but I could hardly breathe just having them in my home. I actually was relieved when they left because I could breath normally and my house no longer smelled like smoke. I never realized how strong the smell really was.
  • MizzDoc
    MizzDoc Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    honestly i think the point of making your food diary public is to get feedback from other users...Im not saying we are all doctors etc but constructive criticism is okay. I think if you are not okay with it dont make your diary public. IMHO, the whole point of being on MFP is for the group support and that includes criticism.

Agree wholeheartedly. I have no issues when my MFPals let me know I am being bad in my food choices. It makes me think and keeps me on the ball. That's why my friends can see my diary.

There are times when I have sent messages to my MFPals about their food choices. They were not pissed at all. But then I suppose it is all about how you ask and why you ask.
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    I don't say anything. I figure I don't know what's going on in their lives, and who knows, maybe that candy bar for breakfast saved them from a McDonalds value meal for breakfast (easy 1000 calories more than a whole Hershey bar).
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    Diary now private. I guess there's something to being secretive and sensitive to criticism.

That said, the existence of this thread in my news feed gave me pause about completing the diary. I don't want too much negativity and life's been hectic. I've not been perfect.

However, there's a lot of black and white thinking about food around here. Sometimes the healthy way to do this is to be imperfect relatively often. Life happens. Cravings happen. Weddings happen. Work pot lucks happen. This is life and life is meant to be enjoyed. Imperfect effort still produces results
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options

You're right, but at least it's been a general mean-ness. Not targeted at a specific person. Just sayin.

:( I wasn't meaning to be mean. I'm no meanie!
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    I only check peoples to see if they've been drinking. Then wonder how wild of a night they had.

The only things I've inputted in 2 months is candy , ice cream and maybe 2 or 3 other things. Oh, macaroni/cheese with hotdogs.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSBKURqshaOM_7dMLCAiEjoEAsVVMuR6vard9rvV-qn_eztfr10
  • mabug01
    mabug01 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    Many of my friends eat junk and they are more successful at losing weight than I am. So, no, I don't remark unless they post asking for advice.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    One of my friends told me that I need to eat more veggies, which I wasn't offended by. I know I need to eat more of them, the problem is that I can't afford to buy a lot of veggies. So, that may be some of the reason, that healthy food is generally more expensive than crap food. And ****ty food is more accessible as well, especially on a college campus.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    If it bothers you, why don't you just delete them on your end?

However, the person might be working on mini goals for long run result. What if they used to eat 3 bad junk food meals a day and now they are down to 1? Then they are doing a great job! You just never know. I wouldn't recommend it unless they ask. If it bothers me, then I do delete them. I like to look at others diaries for meal ideas. So I look often, but it's never to criticize.
  • Just_Dot
    Just_Dot Posts: 2,289 Member
    Options
    If one of my friends commented on my crappy food choice, as in they were presuming to tell me that I was eating poorly and needed to make better choices, they'd probably be on my friend list for about 30 seconds after that. But, that's what I love about my friends...regardless of what diet we're following (veg, vegan, clean, Paleo, portion control, etc.) we know that people aren't perfect and slip-ups happen. I also love that if I were to have a really sh!tty week, they'd be more likely to ask me if I was okay, than judge me.
  • Dimaljnkt
    Dimaljnkt Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    ditto
  • valeriebpdx
    valeriebpdx Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    The responses here kind of piss me off and I thought people on this site would have a more balanced response, I congratulate them when they exercise, or reaching their calorie goal or maintaining or people on recovery, why shouldn't I give honest feedback on a diary that isn't balanced?

Because people don't get fat because of a lack of knowledge. If you were the one person in the world who didn't know you should have been eating broccoli instead of a bacon cheeseburger, then I apologize. But all the rest of us know what we are supposed to do--any breakdown happens in the execution. We get busy, the skinny husband and kids are whining for fast food, the chicken breasts didn't thaw in time for dinner, or somebody has a birthday at work and you want some damn cake. If you want to "support" somebody by delving into the reasons they eat emotionally or fear physical activity or don't prioritize themselves, great. Telling me if I want to lose weight I shouldn't have had the chicken strips at lunch today, not so useful.
  • purple44444
    purple44444 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I have a public food diary, not because I really want people to comment on it, but because I know I'll feel silly if I keep putting junk food on it and nothing substantial.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    That's sad that you say kids are whining for fast food. I really hope my kids never think of fast food as an option for dinner.

Also, I recommend if you want to comment on friend's diaries, then you should note this in your profile. Therefore they are aware ahead of time. You will probably get a better group of healthier eaters. They will motivate you too.

Like my profile says if we are friends then your diary should be public. For people that don't share their diary, I delete them immediately.
  • valeriebpdx
    valeriebpdx Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    That's sad that you say kids are whining for fast food. I really hope my kids never think of fast food as an option for dinner.

Gee, I hope so too. Congrats on having it all worked out.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    well, a poor diary may indicate a poor bank account, as it does with me.