you named your kid what???

Options

Replies

• rissuhbissuh
    Options
    I suppose my name is a little different. It's Rissa (pronounced like carissa, marissa, etc but without any of the extra letters in front). It's a rare occasion when someone can get it right by the first try.

When I have kids, I plan on naming then unordinary names as well. I already have the names Emberey and Hadley in my head :)
  • JellyJaks
    JellyJaks Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    This reminds me of the skit by Louis C.K. on how there should be laws on what you can name your kids. He's cracking jokes about naming his son "Ladies and gentlemen" so when he gets out of hand he can say "Ladies and gentlemen please!" :laugh:

I grew up with a girl whose name was Pepsi. Also knew a Canya Laurel Fly (which is meant to sound like can you lure a fly)
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Okay, so am I the only person who hears the name someone gave their child or you meet someone and they tell you their name and you wonder, what is the parent/s thinking??

case in point: a girl I went to uni with. (in the USA). her name was Abcde (pronounced ab-sa-dee). really??? I mean, come on!

anyone else hear any crazy names that just made you scratch your head in disbelief?

That name is actually on the site Babynames.com. I've heard of two of them personally, but never actually met one.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    A high school friend of mine named his two twin boys -

Jesus, and Lucifer

Not kidding, I didnt think they would allow it but Jesus is a common name
    You didn't think *who* would allow it?
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
  • mindfulmunching
    mindfulmunching Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    La-a!!!!!!!!!! this one takes the cake....LMAO. Knew a kid names Mason Jarr (poor kid)
  • Alishia_655
    Options
    My kids are : Sarah (step daughter)
    Nehemiah (step son from the bible)
    Zylar (step son)
    Reign (daughter)

I wanted her to be Kailynn but my husband wanted to continue with odd names. Sarah is the only one with a normal name =( Love them all though!

My cousin named his daughter Araya Faith (sounds like a ray of faith) kinda cute, but named after a dog.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I work with a William Williams
    I once knew a very horny Marine named Peter Johnson.
  • dippystick
    dippystick Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I teach and we have a lot of princess, promises, precious, blessing....and believe me from a teacher's perspective they never live up to their names!

My youngest son is named Sterling and he is a very precious person. He has always loved his name as I always told him that I named him that because of what Sterling means. It means highly valuable and precious. So he always did his best to live up to it and make me proud.

If the kids don't live up to their names it just might be because the parent changed their mind about the value of said child and raised the child accordingly.

I had a lady I used to attend church with who's son's name was Keen. i can just imagine giving birth and looking into your baby's face and thinking, how keen.
  • JamieDD
    JamieDD Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    My sons name is Dallas...The first thing my Dad asked me in the hospital was...You didn't name him after that stupid TV show. No Dad. I got the name from the book "The Outsiders".

My nieces father-in-laws name is Fudge...:Yup that's his real name.

Our neighbors in Fall City named their son Dillon Danger. The Dillon isn't bad, but Danger??
  • sarahp86
    sarahp86 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    . My friend is a police officer in the south of Ireland A youngish girl came into visit her husband who was staying in one of the luxury suites. She had a baby with her. When my friend asked the girl (we'll call her mrs brown, not real surname) what the babys name was, she replied with:

"lady gaga brown"

My friend had to walk away so she wouldn't laugh.

I've come across a family with three little girls called peace, serenity & ocean (why?)

Other names
    Princess, prince, duke, teddy beer (pronounced bear)

My name is very boring!
  • sumnerfan
    sumnerfan Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I know someone named Scarlett Hart.
    I also know someone named Drake Mallard.
  • nopeekiepeekie
    nopeekiepeekie Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Our neighbors in Fall City named their son Dillon Danger. The Dillon isn't bad, but Danger??

When I read that fast I thought Dillinger yipes.
  • Iamfit4life
    Iamfit4life Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    I work with a William Williams

Best friends dad was Pete Peters
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Morgantown, WV was founded by a guy named Morgan Morgan. Google it.

I had an older relative whose first name was Oral, and that always makes me giggle now that I'm an adult.
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    A high school friend of mine named his two twin boys -

Jesus, and Lucifer

Not kidding, I didnt think they would allow it but Jesus is a common name
    You didn't think *who* would allow it?

In many jurisdictions the hospital / judge that signs the birth certificate can stop the parents from using that specific name if its considered offensive in nature. .. Hence why we dont have children named **** You and HIV and what not.
  • JamieDD
    JamieDD Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Forgot one..A girl I worked with her name was spelled "One" but said like "Anna". WTH???
  • caitmcwill
    Options
    I knew a girl named Sparkle Lee...weird
  • gimedatnow
    gimedatnow Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who's last name is Bacon (no joke) and he swears he's going to name his kids Christopher Peter Bacon and/or Christina Patricia Bacon just so he can them by their nicknames -- "Get over here, Chris P. Bacon!"

Whenever I think of those poor future kids, some of me dies inside... from laughter hahaha
  • Play_outside
    Play_outside Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I have an extremely unusual name (first more so but middle as well) and I have never had any issues except having to correct people's spelling of it, or pronunciation of they're reading it. I am an upstanding, contributing member of society (albeit a fair bit of a hippie but that has nothing to do with my name). I have NEVER had a problem getting a job or anything else. I am quite fond of meaningful unique names, but not the ones with totally insane spelling or things like "sparkle" etc, and the jello ones are just plain nuts. I would certainly never make fun of names that are foreign.