Level 1 of the 30 day Shred - Open Group

Options

Replies

• amberl10
    amberl10 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Week 1 is done, not sure if I'll go to level 2 yet, I have a few days to decide. I start up again Monday.
  • katherinesnell
    Options
    Hello juliep, I'm dreading Level 2, I took a sneak peek and now I wish I hadn't!!!! but it makes me feel better that people think Level 3 is easier, that's what I will be focusing on.

and jvinmill 'whoop!' with the free tickets! sounds like you had a fab time : )

Day 6 done.

I felt FANTASTIC this workout!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I felt like superwoman doing my pushups (albeit the girly version!) and wow am I noticing the difference in my stamina. Even now, 3+ hours after the workout I feel happy, bright, full of energy, dancing about the house like a crazy woman.

Saved up my calories today for a massive blowout tomorrow..... off to the first winter fair of the season, which involves pancakes with nutella, mulled wine, rich fruit cake, pork and apple sauce baps, and no doubt more drinks as me and my fiance put up the Christmas tree and decorations in the evening. I'm going to enjoy every calorific mouthful : ) because I know now that I'm strong enough to stick to the 30DS and healthy eating with all of your support.

I really mean it, this group feel like real friends to me, I feel very lucky to have you all x
  • sbb4406
    Options
    Day 4 done. I think I got through it a little more easily than before, but I still can't get through it all without a break. :(
  • Jenniferslast10
    Jenniferslast10 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you! I did my first day yesterday (after about a year of not doing the Shred). I was so sore this morning. I kept telling myself before I started the video today for day 2 that the soreness will eventually go down. I really didn't feel sore during the video, but now I do again.

I hate feeling sore and this is usually what makes me talk myself out of doing strength exercises but I'm going to stick with it for the full 30 days because I know it will be worth it. Best wishes to you!
  • rosiebug
    rosiebug Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Just finished Day 7! I still find it very difficult, but I think my endurance was much better today than before. I keep waiting for this to become "easy" though. I'm pretty nervous about moving on to level 2 in a few days, especially knowing the general consensus is that it's the hardest.

Keep up the great work, everybody! :)
  • nina4w
    nina4w Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I just finished Day 4! Whoooo! So far, this has been the best of all the days. My legs didn't hurt nearly as much. This may also be because I was wearing shoes....
  • AliciaV30
    AliciaV30 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I ordered the 30 day shed the other day from Amazon once I get it I plan on doing it every day. Can I join when I start it? is anyone seeing results yet? Hoping I made a good purchase. Also looking for friends to help motivate me so please friend me too!!! =)
  • jvinmill
    jvinmill Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Welcome newcomers. I will be adding each of you as friends soon enough! And we are very glad you could join us. The way I've asked everyone to do this is to weigh and take measurements (if possible) before starting the program, so that we can update the group on our progress as we finish each level. I am on day 6 of level 1 and while I don't want to spoil the fun of making my official announcement... I will say that I am amazed at the progress I've seen in just a matter of a few days. I should add that I am not new to working out/losing weight as I have been on MFP since July. I think you will be very impressed with your own results and will find this group to be very supportive.
  • jvinmill
    Options
    Day 6, Level 1: Well I waited until 10:30 at night and I was kinda concerned that doing it later in the day again, I would be a little low on the energy. While there may be some truth to that I couldn't believe how much easier I found the work out to be today (similar to Katherine). Like Rosie, I don't know if I'll ever find it to be "easy", but I am definitely seeing myself change and progress. More and more each day I am liking the reflection in the mirror... the changes I am seeing in my body... I think I am "shredding". Although Level 2 is very difficult as we've heard from both Sir and Julie, I think by the time day 10 roles around I will be ready for a new challenge.

Sir & Julie - I am glad to see that you guys are pushing yourselves hard and rising to the challenge.

Amber - I definitely think you should go for it! We will only see change when we push ourselves to be better.

Katherine - I think you're my twin. I share all the same feelings you expressed in your post. You took the words right out of my mouth... and probably said it better than I ever could.

Sbb- You are pushing yourself and for that you will see improvements in your endurance and changes in your body.

Jen- I think most of us here now a few days into the program will agree that by days 4 & 5 you will see a significant reduction in your soreness. You'll probably see improvements in your performance. And find many reasons to be proud of yourself :)

Most of all, you guys rock!
  • katherinesnell
    Options
    Day 7 done!

Well I kept to my word and had a blow out, WOW I didn't know a pie could ever have that many calories!!!! BUT I am below my sugar allowance for the day he he he :) crazy! so I'm taking jvinmill's advice and ignoring the sugar limit on MFP from now on.

Another good workout for me today. For everyone who is nervous about Level 2, just remember that we are all doing this together as a team, push yourself and feel safe in the knowledge that we'll be whooping and cheering from the sidelines : )

See you tomorrow x
  • jvinmill
    Options
    Day 7, Level 1: Well it's a countdown to level 2 now. Just 3 more times on level 1 to go. I am very excited to take on the new challenge and take my official weigh-in and measurements for Level 1 on Wednesday. Day 7 is still tough. I still have a bit of tenderness in my left knee when working out, but it is bearable. I have seen tons of improvement in terms of my strength! Working on these push ups I really think is helping to prepare me for all the planks in level 2... but, we shall see. I've been pretty on par with my diet since starting Jillian Michaels so nothing to report in that respect. And actually I think that is all for now... short post today... I guess it's because of all the anticipation building inside of me :)
  • curlygirlcami
    curlygirlcami Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Level 1, Day 5. Done!

Today I think was my best day at it so far. It actually felt good and I didn't feel like I was dying. Looking forward to the rest of this program.
  • curlygirlcami
    curlygirlcami Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Day 7, Level 1: Well it's a countdown to level 2 now. Just 3 more times on level 1 to go. I am very excited to take on the new challenge and take my official weigh-in and measurements for Level 1 on Wednesday. Day 7 is still tough. I still have a bit of tenderness in my left knee when working out, but it is bearable. I have seen tons of improvement in terms of my strength! Working on these push ups I really think is helping to prepare me for all the planks in level 2... but, we shall see. I've been pretty on par with my diet since starting Jillian Michaels so nothing to report in that respect. And actually I think that is all for now... short post today... I guess it's because of all the anticipation building inside of me :)

Hey! I was just wondering how many days you were doing each level? Since I started a little later, I was thinking of doing 8 days on each level, so I'll be done before Christmas. Do you think that's a good idea? I have done level 1 before, but never moved on to the next levels. Anyway, just trying to get a plan. Thanks! Also, thanks so much for starting this group. I love the support and motivation. I hate to say it, but I wouldn't have done this all week without it. You guys are GREAT!
  • jvinmill
    Options
    Hey Curlygirl,
    I was going to do 10 days on level 1, 10 days on level 2 and then 6 days on level 3 before I take off on my Christmas vacation in Florida. I thought about cutting down on the days I spend on Level 1, so I could spend more time on the upper levels, but I am still finding level 1 to be challenging, so I don't think that this will be necessary. I think you should listen to your body and make your decision off that. If you find that level 1 isn't challenging you enough, go on to level 2. If you find level 2 especially challenging, maybe spend a longer time on that one... One size does not fit all and I am confident that you will make the right decision for yourself. I started this group for all the reasons that you mentioned. But, this group would not be successful without the dedication and responses of each member. So, I am very thankful that you guys decided to join and stick with it!
    Hey! I was just wondering how many days you were doing each level? Since I started a little later, I was thinking of doing 8 days on each level, so I'll be done before Christmas. Do you think that's a good idea? I have done level 1 before, but never moved on to the next levels. Anyway, just trying to get a plan. Thanks! Also, thanks so much for starting this group. I love the support and motivation. I hate to say it, but I wouldn't have done this all week without it. You guys are GREAT!
  • Jenniferslast10
    Jenniferslast10 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Day 3 --I could tell a major difference between today and the first two days. I wasn't as short of breath. I'm still doing the push ups the easy way and I hope to be able to do at least one full set before I finish level 1. I'm also jogging two miles before doing the Shred and that is getting me more warmed up for it. I can't wait to see what the final results will be!
  • iamcaressa
    iamcaressa Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    OK. So, I did the Shred for about 15 days in January, but I quit because I was doing it for a wedding, then the wedding came and I sort of sucked and stopped. But my gym membership is over tomorrow and we're not renewing it .... and I'm going back on the shred!! I hope I can stay committed this time! So glad there's a board with other people doing it on here!
  • juliep1974
    juliep1974 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I took today off after doing 10 days in a row. It was more a time crunch than being sore. Surprisingly, as difficult as I find level 2, I have really been that sore. I can feel the muscles in my back today but I was really expecting more ab soreness (I suppose once I make it through at least half of the final ab set that might all change). I'm looking forward to it tomorrow - I do like a good sweat. I'm thinking of trying to motivate for a yoga class too. Jillian definitely skimps on the cool down stretch - I always add at least 5 if not 10 minutes to the end to properly stretch. I'm so proud of all you ladies working through those first few days of pain. You're all rocking it!
  • juliep1974
    juliep1974 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Curlygirl - I think once you start you'll probably want to take jv's approach - 10 days level 1, then 10 days on level 2 and then cutting your final level short. Unless you are already a regular exerciser (cardio and strength training), you'll probably want all 10 days before moving on. I tried level 2 after 6 days and nearly died so went back to level 1. I started level 2 again after 9 full days at level 1 and found it to be tough but doable. You can always give it a try after 8 days and see how you do. Good luck!

• rosiebug
    rosiebug Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Day 8 of Level 1: Done! I think I kicked some serious butt tonight! I did my daily walk about 30 mins before tackling Jillian. I really pushed myself on my walk tonight (personal best), and my muscles were really warm. I think it helped me get through tonight's workout so much better! I went back to the floor for all my pushups tonight - almost made it through the 2nd set. I even added an extra lb to my weights for the chest flies (I should have done it for all of circuit 2's strength also). Once I got to the end, I wasn't nearly as worn out either! :) I'm kind of on cloud 9 right now!

@curlygirl - I'm planning to spend 10 days on each level also.

@caressa - Welcome to the group! :)

I'm so glad everyone's sticking with this! I am loving our little support system.
  • califigureeight
    Options
    I can't even do girl pushups! I don't think I've ever done them correctly because I've never felt anything happening in my arms doing them, and when I tried normal push ups I couldn't get back up lol. At least I feel something with the wall pushups. It sucks because I hate moving past a level when I can't do everything in it, but I don't think I'll be ready for normal push ups in a reasonable amount of time. I also can't use my 3 lbs weights on the squat presses or side lunges, so for now I'm using the 1 lbs weighted gloves I have for kickboxing. I know I'd get better results if I just tried to push through with 3 lbs, but my arms are unbelievably weak xD

In other news... I'm a little disappointed because I didn't exercise at all today. I'm not sure why, but I was totally exhausted. I just woke up from a 5 hour "nap" but it's a little bit late to start now lol (almost 1 am)

You're not alone. I'm 5'6, 266 and other than about 6 months of Zumba last year, I don't have any athletic history. As for my push ups, it's the wall or nothing. I feel the burn :) Now crunches...I suck. The good thing for me is that I loose my belly fat first so that MIGHT be easier after a 10-20 pounds lost or so. I thought I was the only "wealking" who was having a hard time with the 3 pound squat presses! I have some 2's and will try those tomorrow.

I also don't see me getting past Level 1 until February. The way I see it is that I'm doing more than I ever have and if I can't do L1, I'm not ready for L2.

Best of luck!