What do you avoid?

Options

Replies

• rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I avoid gluten... http://www.marksdailyapple.com/why-grains-are-unhealthy/
    I am picky about dairy... http://paleodietlifestyle.com/place-of-dairy-on-paleo-diet/
    I avoid soy... http://whypaleo.com/2011/05/evils-of-soy-prove-paleo-diet/
    I stay away from anything refined or processed as much as possible as well as foods with nitrates, nitrites and antibiotics in them. I also try to not use any additive sugars.

But after a month of doing paleo at a time, nothing beats a big fat bacon cheeseburger and a beer. : )
  • butterflykisses9
    Options
    Chinese food!!! I lovvvvve it....and could eat 2 platefuls at a buffet!!! I need to stay away from it :[ I give myself chinese food once a month though...its a nice treat! I used to eat it once a week!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I don't eat meat because I am a vegetarian for ethical reasons.

I don't eat orange or lime as am severely allergic to them.

I am currently avoiding peanuts where possible as I am being tested for a peanut allergy in a few months (it's taken a while to get an appointment!)

Everything else is fine.

*edit except pasta as it makes me sick. Don't know why.
  • walkdmc
    walkdmc Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    If I'm just getting back on track, I try hard to avoid simple carbs for the first 2 weeks. If I'm on a good roll and doing everything right, I can have a sugary snack without consequence but if I'm just starting, that snack steamrolls into a binge.
  • Kalani2012
    Options
    nothing. i literally eat anything i want. even if it's bad for me. but i do it in very limited portions. i've lost 24 lbs in 3mo, so it's working for me!

Hotmommasoon, has the right idea. I refuse to stop eating things I like. I just have smaller portions and less often.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    I suppose I don’t know why one would avoid whole foods other than taste/preference, but for things like pre-packaged, processed foods, there are plenty I avoid simply because there are healthier alternatives that taste just as good. Or I would rather choose a local brand because I want to support local businesses. There are many other reasons I would avoid certain foods as well, not just because of health or taste. For example, the choice to have pacific, wild-caught salmon over farmed salmon is often made for reasons other than health or taste. I choose certain brands of foods and stick to them because of their business practices and the ingredients they choose.

My point is that the choice to avoid certain foods is not always because someone feels like they need to starve themselves to lose weight, or that they believe there are specific “bad” or “good” foods.

Anyway, I’m a food snob. :flowerforyou:

All great reasons! I am similar in some ways. I try to buy cage free chicken and eggs when I get the chance, and get a lot of my meat from local farms here in Iowa :] And also like the healthier alternatives since they are usually more filling and healthier. Like instead of fries from BK ill make my own and add all sorts of yummy spices :]

These are the answers I love!
  • Toxictwist
    Options
    Soda & Junk Food.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    I avoid these things:

1. Getting less than 8 hours of sleep.
    2. Dating a woman that has a tattoo of a dagger on her body.
    3. Playing poker with a dude that has the name of a city for their first name.

Everything else is cream cheese.
  • andiechick
    andiechick Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Chinese food!!! I lovvvvve it....and could eat 2 platefuls at a buffet!!! I need to stay away from it :[ I give myself chinese food once a month though...its a nice treat! I used to eat it once a week!

mmmm me too, don't eat it so much these days tho. our xmas eve tradition is to order in a chinese banquet, altho i'm not sure i could manage it all now!!
  • chinkeyes
    chinkeyes Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I try to avoid raspberry iced tea. I prefer to eat my calories than to drink it but when I hit the fastfood joints, I'll eat 600-900 calories in fried chicken or burger and fries or pizza but those free refill soda fountain with the raspberry iced-tea button, I'll get 3-4 large cups worth well over 1200 calories. no protein all sugar
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options

Actually wrote a review on that for one of my classes heh not a positive one, but to each their own :flowerforyou:
  • Misdy
    Misdy Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Milk! It took a banana milk shake and an incident in Target to figure that one out! :sick: :laugh:
  • regions02
    regions02 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I eat whatever I want - just make sure I have a smaller portion and that I have the caloires left to use. I did, however, give up flavored coffee creamer - just not willing to use those calories.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    I also avoid shrimp because they are the cockroaches of the ocean.
    Tasty, tasty cockroaches, mind you.
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    right now, sugar and salt. and limiting carbs.

why? cuz my stupid doctor says so. (ok not stupid, i am just cranky today because I really really really wanted pancakes and bacon. and it's not on my diet. and i don't know why i want bacon, i really don't like it. but it smelled really really good!)
  • dnsrmr
    dnsrmr Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    As much as I love carbs (pasta/potatoes/rice/bread/etc), I try my hardest to avoid them - not because I want to but because I get terribly sick.
    The real ticker is that nobody seems to know why.
    The other thing I avoid - bad relationships and negative people. LOL
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    I avoid anything with the word faux (fake) or veggie or tofu or soy (except soy sauce) in it.

faux meat
    faux sauce
    faux sausage
    veggie burger
    veggie ribs
    tofu
    tofurkey
    soy milk
    soy milk

etc.....
  • DHalaby73
    DHalaby73 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    I don't eat red meat at all...I haven't had it in 15yrs...Although I know pork is red meat I do eat lean pork(The other white meat LOL)..I also don't eat fried foods....
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    The gluten part mostly helps me avoid eating a lot of bread and pasta. I used to be the carb eating queen so avoiding gluten helps me stay away from those definitely unhealthy carb binges. I will say, I'm not a 24/7 paleo-er. I treat myself to some of these things occasionally... a beer or two, a slice of pizza, etc.

It really all just boils down to moderation I think. And like you said, to each their own. : ) I don't think anyone has yet to develop the "right" nutritional plan.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I also avoid shrimp because they are the cockroaches of the ocean.
    Tasty, tasty cockroaches, mind you.

Actually, the "cockroaches of the ocean" refers to lobsters, not shrimp.

I don't avoid either because they are actually quite healthy and tasty.