What do you avoid?

Options

Replies

• heresmyinsidevoice
    heresmyinsidevoice Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    As far as food goes, I don't avoid anything that doesn't crawl away too fast.

Oh, except for brussels sprouts. They're green orbs of sick - and they smell like hot garbage when they're cooked. Gross.
  • LivLovLrn
    LivLovLrn Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    sugar cane, wheat, soy, spelt....many flours in general because my body can't seem to handle them and I end up with a big ol' list of icky symptoms
  • czechsmate
    czechsmate Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I really only avoid sweets, never really been big on them but there are so many calories that I would rather use those cals for hearty food that keeps me full.
  • traceracer
    traceracer Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I eat anything and everything as long as it isnt deep fried. I try to stay away from proccessed foods and I dont think I could eat an embryo like niner posted the other day.....
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I don't avoid any type of food. I just avoid cake if I've already had a piece of cake. Know what I mean?

I eat whatever I want, but I also take into consideration everything else I have eaten and what other foods I might be presented with later in the day.

For example, if I know my husband and I are going to Starbucks later, and I want a sugary drink, I'm not going to eat some donuts before I get there.

Or, if I know my coworker gave me some cake for someone's birthday at work, I"m not going to have another dessert when I get home.

If I am going to a big party where greasy appetizers are coming at me, I am not going to eat fast food for lunch that day.

I plan to eat as much protein, whole grains, and veggies as I can, but I can't exactly bow out or reject any type of food for my whole life. Once I lose the weight, I have to keep it off, so I can't just say no cake for three months. I just say no more cake after I have this one small piece.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options

Oh, except for brussels sprouts. They're green orbs of sick - and they smell like hot garbage when they're cooked. Gross.

Ok, so maybe I do avoid brussel sprouts and spinach... lol!
  • Sidonas
    Sidonas Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I avoid anything with high fructose corn syrup, MSG, or artificial sweeteners (splenda, and it's siblings). I have fibromyalgia and have found those things cause me grief. Otherwise, I eat what I want in reasonable portions.
  • cantobean
    cantobean Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I don't avoid any of those things! I think they're all good for you, in moderation! It seems silly for someone to avoid a piece of fruit, or a natural, healthy oil. And milk? Seriously?

I just try to avoid sweets, white bread, and foods that come in boxes. I'm nowhere near 100% avoidance on any of these things, though. I can't even imagine saying to myself "I will NEVER again eat THIS food".
  • traceracer
    traceracer Posts: 303 Member
    Options

Ok, so maybe I do avoid brussel sprouts and spinach... lol!
    Brussel sprouts have to be cooked for a certain time. If they are cooked to long they release a gas that isnt so pleasant. If cooked right they are heavenly:)
  • formersec
    formersec Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I love ice cream, but if I have any in the house, I go crazy. I could eat a quart in less than two minutes. There is an ice cream shop in the mall where I go walking. When I'm in the mood for ice cream, I order a child size cup. Just enough to satisfy the craving without going overboard.
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    I love ice cream, but if I have any in the house, I go crazy. I could eat a quart in less than two minutes. There is an ice cream shop in the mall where I go walking. When I'm in the mood for ice cream, I order a child size cup. Just enough to satisfy the craving without going overboard.

Smart! I used to do this with diet drinks. It really helped not to have it in the house. I think this is how I was able to wean myself off them.
  • jamaicanlady
    jamaicanlady Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I avoid refined foods like white rice, bread, sugar and flour. They're just not healthy and don't provide the proper nutrients your body needs. Also, white rice has been linked to type 2 diabetes or something like that. You can google it, I don't quite remember. Also, check out this website: http://www.health-heart.org/badstuff.htm
  • JT1090
    JT1090 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I avoid meat, chocolate, and fast food!
  • keldawm
    keldawm Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I avoid fried foods. My grandmother died of a heart attack at 63 and my dad has had triple bypass surgery. I guess I'm a little paranoid because of genetics.
    I also don't eat any peanut products because my son is allergic. This has been hard because I love peanuts.
    Other than these I don't avoid anything else. I do try to maintain a little self control with sweets. :-)
  • Thena81
    Thena81 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    fast foods, restaurants, hamburger helpers, high fat butter and oil, high fat milk, cupcakes, most candies, ice cream and white bread
  • ilike2moveit
    ilike2moveit Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I try not to drink my calories. So I stick with water and coffee.
  • lovefunmotion
    Options
    Fast food. Even when I was overweight I always avoided it because of how disgusting it tastes and how much it upsets my stomach.
    I also avoid chips because I just don't think they're worth it calorie wise. I'm never satisfied with just one serving of them - I can eat 1/2 a large size bag and not get full and that could wind up being almost a whole days worth of calories right there.
  • TrudyJo195
    Options
    I try to avoid chocolate and a lot of carbs and sugar. It's really not easy thou!!! Sence I've been diagnosed with being type 11 diabetic it's been hard but watching my carbs and calories have made a difference. I've lost over 12 pounds since late september. I still have about twenty more that I want to get off. I THINK I CAN DO IT. ;)
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I only avoid things I don't like or that make me not feel so good.

Hamburger - every time I eat it? I get horribly sick. I've tried all different ones (from ground chuck to sirloin) and they ALL make me terribly sick.

Fast food - To me it is tasteless and makes my tummy hurt sooo bad.

Pop - I don't like the taste of it anymore. I actually try and avoid ALL carbonated stuff now as I find it bloats my stomach and makes me hurt. I do drink sugar free Monster Rehab. They are non-carbonated.

broccoli - BLECH. I hate the taste. I hate the texture. *gag*

This is all I can think of right off the top of my head - Everything else I just practice "in moderation" with it. :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    What do you avoid and why?
    I have seen many avoid milk,red meat, bananas, olive oil, peanut butter and many other things and curious why?

I avoid walnuts - only because I graze on them all day and easily go over my calorie goal. Yum :]
    Otherwise if it fits in my macros I eat it!
    I avoid doing yoga or zumba.:laugh:

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition