why would people feel the need to keep their food diary priv

Options

Replies

• runs4zen
    runs4zen Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    There's probably people on here that wonder why anyone would have it open! :laugh: Why do people get bothered when they can't see what others are eating?

Thank you! What the heck difference does it really make?

Right? :drinker:

People get too jealous when they see me eating pizza, bacon, chips and milkshakes all day every day. I think it's a kindness to keep my food diary private.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Mine is wide open for all to see. I invite comments but honestly, I don't think anyone has anything to say other than 'that sounds good' or 'yummy'. I like to see other diaries to get ideas on things to eat in the future.
    Or "You are a slave to Trader Joe".

my food diary is a Trader Joe's shopping list, essentially... :\
    lol yeah...I have that syndrome as well. Some days, every single thing is from there.
  • runs4zen
    runs4zen Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Mine is wide open for all to see. I invite comments but honestly, I don't think anyone has anything to say other than 'that sounds good' or 'yummy'. I like to see other diaries to get ideas on things to eat in the future.
    Or "You are a slave to Trader Joe".

my food diary is a Trader Joe's shopping list, essentially... :\
    lol yeah...I have that syndrome as well. Some days, every single thing is from there.

Hey! What are you doing over on this thread? You're dropping the ball over on the "are carbs bad thread" just when you got super funny! Get back over there!
  • sara709
    sara709 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I know a friend of mine does it so that no one can judge her on her choices.
  • DarkAngel525
    Options
    Mines on private. I have good days and bad days.

I can understand why. Especially if you are suffering with an eating disorder of any kind. You don't need people seeing when you're binging or when you're under eating and then of course making comments about it.

This as well as some of the other food issue related comments. Some of us really have a struggle with food and even on our best days, we just don't feel confident in sharing that. Lots of people can be critical of that choice, but there is the private/public option for a reason so I say we should respect each other's decision to do what feels right for us.
  • BloomingLily
    BloomingLily Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Because they have a right to privacy, and they are using it. :)
    This.
    Mine is private and it doesn't have anything to do with fear, shame, etc. It's something I consider personal and of concern to no one but me. I have no interest in seeing anyone else's either. Not my business.
  • beccyleigh
    beccyleigh Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    why would people feel the need to keep their food diary private?

None of your business, just like my diary
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I've never seen anyone just flat out start commenting on someone's food choices unless it was related to the question/topic. ie... why aren't I losing weight? Why aren't I gaining strength? etc....

Oh, but they do! My diary is visible for my friends, but not the general public. I had added a new friend one morning, and that very same evening he commented (completely unsolicited) 'Nice job logging - you even counted the stuff most people would be too ashamed to admit they ate!'

Jerk! I deleted his comment and removed him from my friends list. We clearly had different goals, priorities and dietary preferences. I didn't want his snotty comments, and I didn't need him as a friend.

(Just for the record... I had made homemade pizza that day and ended up with a 1100 calorie dinner after already having pancakes and bacon for breakfast. And yes... I was still under! I really don't see why enjoying decadent food is a cause for *shame*. Maybe he's ashamed to eat anything besides brown rice, organic veggies and olive oil - but I'm not! LOL)
  • silhouettes
    silhouettes Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Mine is private unless I want someone looking at it.

I don't want unwanted advice, I don't eat as "healthy" as some people, but it's worked for me almost 110 lbs lost. I don't have the money to buy food from completely scratch and I don't want to be "made fun of" for that fact.

If I get a good friend on here that wants a peak, I will let them... but I don't want strangers to just got leafing through my stuff. I wouldn't invite a stranger to dinner to watch me eat, so why let them know what I eat?

I am still self conscious about what I eat, sometimes it's not healthy at all, I don't like like people watching, I haven't gotten to the point where I am comfortable sharing.

It may sound silly, but that's who I am. I guess it depends on what type of person you are, everyone is different.
  • silhouettes
    Options
    Oh and sometimes I make weird comments in the exercise or food comments to remind myself of things... those comments I really wouldn't like other's seeing.. such as if I write in "didn't finish food because I found a hair in it." Not really something I'd want to share... haha

And reason 3: I don't look at other people's, even if they are open. I don't want to voilate privacy even if they say it's "ok"... I just don't want to.. so i want the same respect!
  • hhcote
    hhcote Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I've approached MFP like AA - I'm Helen and I'm a food addict. I don't think AA people are encouraged to hide their drinking anymore than I should be hiding what I eat.

My favorite thing about this site is that I can go off track and my friends only encourage me back on track. It's been so much more motivating than negative people in my home life. I have found that I don't want to eat the wrong things because of the support I have here.

Thanks everyone! :flowerforyou:
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,678 Member
    Options
    Can someone explain?
    Why would people feel the need to keep their food diary public?
  • silhouettes
    Options
    My question would be - Why do people that don't want feedback post their diary was under for the day at all?

Maybe people think the "complete this entry" button on the bottom of the diary is how to build continuous days streaks, however, it's only function seems to be to post calories to the news feed, which your friends see.

So in a way - closing out your diary comes across a lot like asking for feedback because you could just disable the diary from the news feed in My Home - Settings - Automatic News Feed update settings. Then you wouldn't be drawing attention to your diary if it's private.

Drawing attention to your private diary at the end of every day is a lot like saying COME SEE MY COOL NEW CAR! but then refusing to open the garage door. If you want congratulations on your new car, you've got to open the garage door and let them see it, or they are congratulating you blindly, and what real use is blind feedback?

You could argue that you like blind feedback and it makes you feel good, and I'm sure there are people like that on every forum on the internet, and there's not much the rest of us can do about that, it's just how it is. But building up a huge friend base for support and then wanting most of the support to be given blindly would naturally confuse a lot of people that don't operate like that.

Saying you don't ask for feedback and then clicking your under-calorie diary to your news feed is contradictory though. Just sayin'.

You get day counts without "completing your diary". You get day counts if you log in. I would know. I have over a year and a half of days.

I do this for me, not my friends.
  • angela828
    angela828 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    it's nobody's business what my food diary looks like.... i am accountable and i keep track of it all. i'm a big believer in moderation and when i put my reese's pb cup down as my snack, i don't feel like listening to the aholes who feel a need to comment on how i shouldn't be eating them. i've lost 55 pounds, obviously i'm doing something right.

why do people care so much? if you want to look at others diaries, then be friends with people who keep theirs public. leave the people who keep theirs private alone.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Can someone explain?

That's not explaining anything. Just a note. If you're curious about that, make another thread about it
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    it's nobody's business what my food diary looks like.... i am accountable and i keep track of it all. i'm a big believer in moderation and when i put my reese's pb cup down as my snack, i don't feel like listening to the aholes who feel a need to comment on how i shouldn't be eating them. i've lost 55 pounds, obviously i'm doing something right.

why do people care so much? if you want to look at others diaries, then be friends with people who keep theirs public. leave the people who keep theirs private alone.

Who says people "care that much?" It was a question. People are assigning a value/judgement that's not there
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,678 Member
    Options
    Can someone explain?

That's not explaining anything. Just a note. If you're curious about that, make another thread about it
    I concede my sarcasm was a lame way to try to make my point. Let me try again. I don't think that everyone who has a private food diary necessarily "feels the need" to keep it private. Mine's public, but it's not something I worry about one way or the other. I don't ask for or want feedback on my eating. I use the diary to plan what I'm going to eat, not to record what I did eat, so it might make more sense to keep it private, even though I don't.
  • FatassFairy
    FatassFairy Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Can someone explain?

why do you care? can you explain?
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    Can someone explain?

why do you care? can you explain?

Why can't I care? Can you explain?
  • FatassFairy