Why are carbs so bad?

Options

Replies

• lockef
    lockef Posts: 466
    Options
    "There was no support for the idea that a carbohydrate-free protein-supplemented fast decreases appetite and elevates mood in comparison with an isocaloric carbohydrate-containing diet. Thus, suppression of appetite alone does not appear to be sufficient reason in itself for using diets of this type."

My bad, not a very good study for any theory. The diet consisted of 827 kcal/day.
    Link to study.
    http://www.ajcn.org/content/36/3/463.full.pdf

"During the initial 1 1-day base-line period, the subjects were fed a weight-maintaining diet containing 45% carbohydrate, 40% fat, and 5% protein. They were then randomly assigned to one of two isocaloric (827 kcal) diets for the next 6 wk: 1 ) carbohydrate containing diet (CHO; n = 4) 35% protein, 36% fat, 29% carbohydrate and 2) carbohydrate restricted diet (NO CHO; n = 4) 35% protein, 64% fat, 1% carbohydrate. The diets consisted of lean meat, fish, or fowl, with margarine to provide extra fat and grape juice for extra carbohydrate. Boullion was given two to three times per day to provide additional sodium, and potassium intake was supplemented with 25 mEq/day ofthe chloride. Calcium intake was supplemented with 200 mg/day of the carbonate. Multivitamins (Squibb Theragram-M) with iron and minerals were given daily. Noncaloric beverages were allowed ad libitum."

For your reading pleasure.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17228046
    The effects of a low-carbohydrate ketogenic diet and a low-fat diet on mood, hunger, and other self-reported symptoms.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18175736
    Effects of a high-protein ketogenic diet on hunger, appetite, and weight loss in obese men feeding ad libitum.

Now it just looks like I'm cherry picking. Feel free to post any relevent studies to that may contradict these. I'd be interested in reading them.
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    Ketogenic low-carbohydrate diets have no metabolic advantage over nonketogenic low-carbohydrate diets.
    Johnston CS, Tjonn SL, Swan PD, White A, Hutchins H, Sears B.
    Source

Department of Nutrition, Arizona State University, Mesa, AZ 85212, USA. carol.johnston@asu.edu
    Abstract
    BACKGROUND:

Low-carbohydrate diets may promote greater weight loss than does the conventional low-fat, high-carbohydrate diet.
    OBJECTIVE:

We compared weight loss and biomarker change in adults adhering to a ketogenic low-carbohydrate (KLC) diet or a nonketogenic low-carbohydrate (NLC) diet.
    DESIGN:

Twenty adults [body mass index (in kg/m(2)): 34.4 +/- 1.0] were randomly assigned to the KLC (60% of energy as fat, beginning with approximately 5% of energy as carbohydrate) or NLC (30% of energy as fat; approximately 40% of energy as carbohydrate) diet. During the 6-wk trial, participants were sedentary, and 24-h intakes were strictly controlled.
    RESULTS:

Mean (+/-SE) weight losses (6.3 +/- 0.6 and 7.2 +/- 0.8 kg in KLC and NLC dieters, respectively; P = 0.324) and fat losses (3.4 and 5.5 kg in KLC and NLC dieters, respectively; P = 0.111) did not differ significantly by group after 6 wk. Blood beta-hydroxybutyrate in the KLC dieters was 3.6 times that in the NLC dieters at week 2 (P = 0.018), and LDL cholesterol was directly correlated with blood beta-hydroxybutyrate (r = 0.297, P = 0.025). Overall, insulin sensitivity and resting energy expenditure increased and serum gamma-glutamyltransferase concentrations decreased in both diet groups during the 6-wk trial (P < 0.05). However, inflammatory risk (arachidonic acid:eicosapentaenoic acid ratios in plasma phospholipids) and perceptions of vigor were more adversely affected by the KLC than by the NLC diet.
    CONCLUSIONS:

KLC and NLC diets were equally effective in reducing body weight and insulin resistance, but the KLC diet was associated with several adverse metabolic and emotional effects. The use of ketogenic diets for weight loss is not warranted.

Like I said, the response to keto diets is highly individial. What part of this are you failing to understand?
  • lockef
    Options
    Like I said, the response to keto diets is highly individial. What part of this are you failing to understand?

Where did I say otherwise?
  • furekurss
    Options

ppl that in favor of keto or low carb diet should just stop posting in this tread, you guys are beating a dead horse.

let the simple minded follow their " balanced" diet

will we get lean Thick Solid, vascular.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,743 Member
    Options
    Color me content to be simple-minded, then.
  • furekurss
    Options
    So. to summarize the takeaway messages here....

Weight loss and muscle preservation/building success can be had with and without carbs
    If you limit carbs too severely you may turn into a raging *kitten*
    Paleoman ate a diet rich in cheese and pepperoni
    Paleoman fanboys get very angry when other people eat carbs
    My oatmeal and banana tastes delicious this morning

nice physic bro! tell me more
  • furekurss
    Options
    Color me content to be simple-minded, then.

the ususal,

eat "good" fats, stay away from saturated fat,

have "good"carbs,

eat only Lean Proteins.

and eat about 40% cabs, 50% Protein, 10% fats,

you will be fine,

KETO=BAD!!! dont listen to anyone here infavor of such diets!!
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    Can't help but think of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkvL-bO8LEY
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options

ppl that in favor of keto or low carb diet should just stop posting in this tread, you guys are beating a dead horse.

I don't think this guy follows a low carb diet religon like you. Given the choice based on apparent results, I'd have to go with this 8103392_9588_thumb.jpg vs 5762066_2462_thumb.jpg. since you seem to be judging by reuslts.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Again what advantages do keto diets provide over "balanced diets" in terms of leaning out?
  • anyonebutmehaha
    Options
    but lockef what is the point of posting studies saying that KETO lowers appetite and helps one to maintain on a weight loss plan when just spending 3 minutes looking at your food dairy for the entire month of November there was only ONE day (nov 30th) that you succeeded in not being grossly in the red (like by 500, 1200, 1700 calories)? candy bars and pie every day? if that's the KETO diet hell sign us all up! :laugh:

does someone, anyone, have a food dairy that is doing this method of dieting that can even loosely fall under the category of healthy? seriously, i just would like to look at one.... cause 85 slices of pepperoni for breakfast and candy bars every day just are clashing too hard with my idea of what a healthy, able to stay on for life, food plan should look like.
  • furekurss
    Options

I don't think this guy follows a low carb diet religon like you. Given the choice based on apparent results, I'd have to go with this 8103392_9588_thumb.jpg vs 5762066_2462_thumb.jpg. since you seem to be judging by reuslts.

yeah, i started the KETO 3 weeks ago, but that pic is from early 2011. months ago, but nice try.
    also, i am a powerlifter, there for, actually i had a "balanced" diet with carbs in the pic (standard bulk up diet). come at me when you can deadlift 500lb or squat 400lbs.

follow whatever diet you want lol
  • lockef
    Options
    but lockef what is the point of posting studies saying that KETO lowers appetite and helps one to maintain on a weight loss plan when just spending 3 minutes looking at your food dairy for the entire month of November there was only ONE day (nov 30th) that you succeeded in not being grossly in the red (like by 500, 1200, 1700 calories)? candy bars and pie every day? if that's the KETO diet hell sign us all up! :laugh:

I'm bulking. Pretty hard to do on keto.

Look at my diary before halloween, and you can see a good 4 months (edit: 3 1/2 months) worth of when I was on keto (with a few cheat days thrown in on weekends).

Edit: Also, I just recently lowered my calories to start maintaining. When you change your calorie goal, it changes your past calorie goals as well. If you go back to when I was doing keto, you'll notice I'm way under on 85% of the days because of this.
  • Jeff92se
    Options

yeah, i started the KETO 3 weeks ago, but that pic is from early 2011. months ago, but nice try.
    also, i am a powerlifter, there for, actually i had a "balanced" diet with carbs in the pic (standard bulk up diet). come at me when you can deadlift 500lb or squat 400lbs.

follow whatever diet you want lol

My best competition squat was 450lbs (I failed at 500lbs). Best competition dead was 450lbs. This was competing at 165lbs.

I don't qualify anyone's "numbers" unless they are power lifiting rules legal.

I still do powerlifing lifts but no longer desire to be bigger. No point at this stage.

I hope you weigh like 156lbs or something. Even then, those numbers wouldn't win a local powerlifting meet around here.

Futhermore, that avatar (not avi) was taken a year+ ago. But not sure how you can really judge as I'm wearing a sweatshirt. Also I said "the advice I'd follow". Not "I'm better looking than you therefore, my advice has more merit".
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    NEBER LISSN TO ANYONE WHO ISN"T TEH JAKD!!

Oh wait, someone should've told this guy:

image.php?u=28840&dateline=1290656805

that he shouldn't listen to this guy:

lyle2.jpg
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    That's it. I'm going to have to dead lift you all. Get in line in an orderly fashion please.
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    That's it. I'm going to have to dead lift you all. Get in line in an orderly fashion please.

1st!
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Well, I'll be doggone! I reckon perhaps I may've been wrong. It just wouldn't have been as fun if I went to Wikipedia before I answered the young ladies question... Doggonit' from now on, I reckon, I'll just go to Wikipedia for all my info. Great suggestion. So we need carbs for energy, not survival... hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Very good to know.
    no we dont

"Carbohydrates are not necessary building blocks of other molecules, and the body can obtain all its energy from protein and fats.[11][12] The brain fats contain 37.8 kilojoules (9 kilocalories) per gram. In the case of protein, this is somewhat misleading as only some amino acids are usable for fuel."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbohydrate#Nutrition
    Protein is better but need carbs for cardio performance

We need them to carry protein to our cells. Not arguing... just adding.
  • CouchSpud
    CouchSpud Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Honestly...?!:bigsmile:
  • LisaDunn01
    LisaDunn01 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    The body breaks down all carbohydrates (except fibers) to a simple form of sugar called "Glucose" and goes into the blood, therefore called "blood sugar". When you eat any carbohydrates, they break down to sugars and finally to Glucose. The Glucose rushes into your blood quickly; in other words, your blood sugar level will rise sharply. Your body makes an instant decision of how much of that pure energy goes for immediate needs and how much will it store. The tool of this decision is Insulin, which regulates the processing of blood sugar.

Insulin does three things to blood sugar:

1. Transports one part of blood sugar to the cells to take care of immediate energy demand. This is a bypass of your own energy production system.

2. Stores another part of blood sugar in carbo-storages in muscles and liver.

3. Converts the leftover blood sugar to fat and stores it as BODY FAT.

Insulin is also a fat storage and locking hormone. In other words, it makes you fat and it keeps you fat.

Carbohydrates trigger Insulin (fat storage).

Proteins trigger Glucagon (fat burning).

How's that for a technical answer? :-)