Why are carbs so bad?

Options
I hear people saying that they have to avoid carbs a lot, but I don't understand why. I eat bread or pasta or potatoes all the time and I'm still losing weight. Also I thought they were good for you because they keep you full?
Can anyone explain? (:

Replies

• annejuju
    annejuju Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I think the problem tends to be that people over indulge in carbohydrates and that leads to the problems with weight gain. Everything in moderation! :smile:
  • kelley_lynn
    kelley_lynn Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    They are only bad, if you let them be. and for some they can be down right painful :)

But as said, all in moderation.
  • dsc32209
    dsc32209 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    It is more about portion control. Your body needs carbs for energy. Protein can actually make you feel full longer since it takes longer for your body to use protein,
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    They're bad if - and only if - you're sensitive to carbs. Some folks are. Some folks aren't.

I had pasta with my lunch, and garlic bread, sweet potatoes and rice with my dinner. Love the carbs! :heart:
  • cinditree
    cinditree Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    It depends on your matabolism, if you are insulin resistant, you will have a hard time losing weight on carbs, especially simple carbs. But many people do better with a higher carb intake and have more energy because of their particular metabolism.
  • mderr90
    mderr90 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Carbs are actually good when they are eaten the right way. Just make sure they are whole grain and complex carbs. Your body needs them to survive! If you over indulge you do gain weight (I can say from experience) but I'm also a runner so I eat a lot especially before races. As everyone said above me, it's all about moderation! If you're losing weight keep doing what you're doing!! Good luck!!! :)
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Carbs are not bad. That's racist.
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    some ppl are different! Each of our bodies respond to different things......for some carbs, for some sugar, etc! I lose weight when I have a high protein diet, but I cant function without carbs....(I get mean) LOL!!

I personally eat carbs, but they are limited because I do gain weight when I eat pasta, breads and such! I choose healthier carbs like potatoes, beans, fruit and that tends to make a difference for me! I do have bread/pasta but just on occasion!
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Not all people think carbs are bad, just people who do certain diets like paleo.

The rest of us don't think they are bad, we have learned to eat them in a balanced way with the rest of our food.
  • gashinshotan
    gashinshotan Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Protein is better but need carbs for cardio performance
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    We need carbs! I do admit, however, I'm trying something out that involves low-carb/high protein days on most days. So I just make sure I eat the best darn carbs I can so they could do their job in my body.
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    Carbs are actually good when they are eaten the right way. Just make sure they are whole grain and complex carbs. Your body needs them to survive! If you over indulge you do gain weight (I can say from experience) but I'm also a runner so I eat a lot especially before races. As everyone said above me, it's all about moderation! If you're losing weight keep doing what you're doing!! Good luck!!! :)

I agree
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Carbs aren't bad but bad carbs are bad. In my house, the problem is that everyone wants to eat bad carbs (white rice, sugar, white bread, pasta) so I don't keep them around. Instead, I make whole grain bread, buy whole grain pastas and rice and limit white sugar. Now when someone wants a piece of cake (bad carb) it's not there and they can have a piece of fruit instead (good carb).
  • suzzee2000
    suzzee2000 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    My Low Carb diet is direct result of my Dr. telling me I should eat this way for life....Is it hard Yes but for me it's the only way I can really become healthy....Long Story short The good carbs will be slowly added in as I get closer to goal weight...
  • harold_IV
    harold_IV Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    There are good carbs, which are slow digesting (whole grains) and bad carbs (white bread etc.). The reason why carbs can be bad is if you eat too much of them your body will go into fat storage mode instead of fat burning mode. Which you obviously don't want. Thats the short answer. I can tell you the long answer if you want, ha.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Protein is better but need carbs for cardio performance

We need them to carry protein to our cells. Not arguing... just adding.
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    CARBS ARE NOT BAD.

Even if you're doing a ketogenic diet (very low carb) you still need some carbs. If nothing else, you need fiber to keep stuff moving through your digestive track. Fiber = carbs.

I like carbs. My brain likes carbs.
  • erinmac0211
    erinmac0211 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/why-grains-are-unhealthy/

just one perspective ^

Personally, I realized that once I took grains and unfermented dairy out of my diet, I felt soooo much better and never crashed at any point in the day and had way more energy then when i was eating a lot of carbs. now i eat more fat and am losing a lot of excess body fat and all in all feel way better and am gaining muscle mass without really trying.
  • rlysrh
    rlysrh Posts: 244
    Options
    Okay so its mostly about how easy it is to go over your calories eating carbs? Thanks for all the info everyone. (:
  • furekurss
    Options
    We need carbs! I do admit, however, I'm trying something out that involves low-carb/high protein days on most days. So I just make sure I eat the best darn carbs I can so they could do their job in my body.

no we dont, im doing Keto thank you verymuch, 0-25g of carbs a day.

brb workouts strong then ever,
    brb HIGH Testosterone flowing in my body
    brb, cave man did not farm and only ate FAT and Protein, and survived and passed on genes.