Why are carbs so bad?

Options

Replies

• furekurss
    Options

no we dont, im doing Keto thank you verymuch, 0-25g of carbs a day.

Sorry... this is BS and it pisses me off. Because this myth keeps getting propagated.

Even on a ketogenic diet, you eat SOME carbs. What is it? 40-50 grams? Something like that?

Nobody has proven that you can survive on a 100% carb-free diet, so to say we 'don't need carbs' is foolishness.

As I already mentioned, you at least need fiber or you're gonna get super constipated.

I personally think you need other carbs too... at least some... though I won't argue that ketogenic diets work for some people.

sorry, never seen so much fail in one post. ^
    first, i did keto with 0 carbs for 5 days, i survived. also, its not 40 or 50g of carbs a day its more 0 THRU 25gs a day depending how much your calories are.
    2nd yes it has been proven that you can survive with 0 carbs
    3rd please open a book and read about nutrition b4 making a post
    4th keto WORKS FOR ALL PPL, that idea that "everyone is different" is like saying, " some ppl run on batteries and some run on food"
    5th not costipated, as for the reason i have SOME carbs in my diet (about 15g a day for me) most comes from Fiber, such as Broccoli and Spinach
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    furekurss did you get a brain fog feeling during the 5 days of 0 carb?

I'm doing Lyle McDonald's RFL with close to 0-5g of carbs for the next two weeks. If it wasn't for the EC stack I don't think I could do it xD
  • gashinshotan
    gashinshotan Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Long term study of meat only diet for a year - better health than when the subjects started
    http://www.jbc.org/content/87/3/651.full.pdf
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    We need carbs! I do admit, however, I'm trying something out that involves low-carb/high protein days on most days. So I just make sure I eat the best darn carbs I can so they could do their job in my body.

brb workouts strong then ever,
    brb HIGH Testosterone flowing in my body
    brb, cave man did not farm and only ate FAT and Protein, and survived and passed on genes.

while i agree that cho is non essential, research on paleolithic man's diet has suggested they consumed about 50-60% of their kcal from CHO, so no they did not only survive on fat and protein
  • furekurss
    Options

I'm doing Lyle McDonald's RFL with close to 0-5g of carbs for the next two weeks. If it wasn't for the EC stack I don't think I could do it xD

finally some one that reads a GOOD BOOK! :)

my brain fog lasted about 1 week and 3 or 4 days. Lifts at the gym went down, felt like i was going to die at the gym
    after that, induction period, Lifts are going back up and im getting Leaner as well. Body fat is down and dropped 12lb in 2 weeks.

what ever u do, Stay with TKD, untill you are accustomed to it, start CKD maybe 2 or 3 weeks later
  • furekurss
    Options
    We need carbs! I do admit, however, I'm trying something out that involves low-carb/high protein days on most days. So I just make sure I eat the best darn carbs I can so they could do their job in my body.

brb workouts strong then ever,
    brb HIGH Testosterone flowing in my body
    brb, cave man did not farm and only ate FAT and Protein, and survived and passed on genes.

while i agree that cho is non essential, research on paleolithic man's diet has suggested they consumed about 50-60% of their kcal from CHO, so no they did not only survive on fat and protein

noted: but technically, one can survive off only Fat and protein. but no one can survive only with Carbs and Protein
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Why even have that argument? It's almost impossible to cut all fat, all carbs, all protein, etc out of one's diet.
  • Acg67
    Options
    I was reading something today (Why We Get Fat by Gary Taubes) and it mentioned that excessive carbohydrates mess with our insulin levels, causing the body to store fat, and also triggering hunger. He was mostly talking about sweet carbs and refined flour and refined sugar, though. What is it? Simple carbs are worse; complex carbs are okay.

Fruits and veggies are high carb. Those are good for you.

I suggest you do a little more research as Taubes and GCBC and Why We Get Fat is a bunch of nonsense besides his pieces on the lipid hypothesis
  • Acg67
    Options
    and i'm a little lost, can someone explain to me what makes a bad carb bad and good carb good?
    Options

my brain fog lasted about 1 week and 3 or 4 days. Lifts at the gym went down, felt like i was going to die at the gym
    after that, induction period, Lifts are going back up and im getting Leaner as well. Body fat is down and dropped 12lb in 2 weeks.

what ever u do, Stay with TDK, untill you are accustomed to it, start CDK maybe 2 or 3 weeks later

Oh yea! I <3 Lyle for sure.
    I have tried lower carb before, but the brain fog is hard to get over initially i think! Only about 9-10 days left of RFL. Was considering transitioning into a CDK for more of a body recomp instead of bulking. Fear of a formal fat girl haha

Thanks for the tip :]
  • furekurss
    Options
    and i'm a little lost, can someone explain to me what makes a bad carb bad and good carb good?

good question
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options

Sorry... this is BS and it pisses me off. Because this myth keeps getting propagated.

Even on a ketogenic diet, you eat SOME carbs. What is it? 40-50 grams? Something like that?

Nobody has proven that you can survive on a 100% carb-free diet, so to say we 'don't need carbs' is foolishness.

As I already mentioned, you at least need fiber or you're gonna get super constipated.

I personally think you need other carbs too... at least some... though I won't argue that ketogenic diets work for some people.

first, i did keto with 0 carbs for 5 days, i survived.

Darling. I've opened a hell of a lot more books than you I'd wager. I have... *counts* Oh yah... 15 years of higher education under my belt. In a bio-medical field, non-the-less.

Nobody does 0 carbs every single day. Nobody does. If you eat any vegetables at all, you're eating carbs. Fruit? You're eating carbs. Show me a study... one scientific study and a good, quality journal... that shows human beings can live 100% carb free for an extended period of time, and I'll retract my claim.

The Atkins diet doesn't count fiber or sugar alcohols as carbs (last i check), but I consider them carbs. Fiber doesn't get absorbed as a nutrient. Sugar alcohols do. And sugar alcohols are very easily converted to carbs.
  • furekurss
    Options

what ever u do, Stay with TDK, untill you are accustomed to it, start CDK maybe 2 or 3 weeks later

Oh yea! I <3 Lyle for sure.
    I have tried lower carb before, but the brain fog is hard to get over initially i think! Only about 9-10 days left of RFL. Was considering transitioning into a CDK for more of a body recomp instead of bulking. Fear of a formal fat girl haha

Thanks for the tip :]

Brain fog is a beach, but if you stick to it, and do the "carb Depletion" work out Lyle tells you, you will be in Ketosis in about 3 days. and if u are hungry, just eat more fat. also, PRO TIP: read on IF, (Intermedian Fasting) <makes life easier
    Options

Brain fog is a beach, but if you stick to it, and do the "carb Depletion" work out Lyle tells you, you will be in Ketosis in about 3 days. and if u are hungry, just eat more fat. also, PRO TIP: read on IF, (Intermedian Fasting) <makes life easier

Bought some keto sticks to test it. Got my workout in yesterday!
    Already read a good portion on leangains.com. IF + RFL makes it so much easier. I like having a good sized meal!
  • furekurss
    Options

Darling. I've opened a hell of a lot more books than you I'd wager. I have... *counts* Oh yah... 15 years of higher education under my belt. In a bio-medical field, non-the-less.

Nobody does 0 carbs every single day. Nobody does. If you eat any vegetables at all, you're eating carbs. Fruit? You're eating carbs. Show me a study... one scientific study and a good, quality journal... that shows human beings can live 100% carb free for an extended period of time, and I'll retract my claim.

The Atkins diet doesn't count fiber or sugar alcohols as carbs (last i check), but I consider them carbs. Fiber doesn't get absorbed as a nutrient. Sugar alcohols do. And sugar alcohols are very easily converted to carbs.

lol@ posting your credentials on an internet forum just to make it seem you know something more then everyone else

brb im an astronaut/ Nigerian Prince here, i know how eating works too!
    FIBER= Carbs, who said they are not? lool. they have no Kcals in it, that is why i eat them bc i can subtrack from my Daily intake.
    but to say Fiber is not a carb is like saying a car is not car bc it does not have tires

Read this then come at me with whatever you got,

15 years of higher education=/= know it all
    ps. where is your proofs with actual references?

http://www.ispub.com/journal/the-internet-journal-of-nutrition-and-wellness/volume-4-number-2/arguments-in-favor-of-ketogenic-diets.html#h1-0

^READ IT
  • furekurss
    Options

Bought some keto sticks to test it. Got my workout in yesterday!
    Already read a good portion on leangains.com. IF + RFL makes it so much easier. I like having a good sized meal!

keto sticks are ok, just remenber they can be wrong if you drink too much or too little water. IF and IIFYM also is my life now. i can finally have a life outsid lifting
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    Carbs stole my innocence in a rather unseemly manner.

True story.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Is being a d!ckhead one of the brain fog side effects?
  • furekurss
    Options
    Is being a d!ckhead one of the brain fog side effects?

yes
  • gashinshotan
    gashinshotan Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Long term study of meat only diet for a year - better health than when the subjects started
    http://www.jbc.org/content/87/3/651.full.pdf

me in med field too and got degree in 08 - info change a lot since you went school even though the study above is from 1931!