Why are carbs so bad?

Options

Replies

• Murphy15
    Murphy15 Posts: 142
    Options
    I agree wholeheartedly with everyone's comments. It's about portion control! Carbs are your friends! For example, when I have a cup of whole wheat pasta for dinner with a salad, that's good and it makes my body happy. When I eat an entire loaf of Boudin bread just as a snack, that's bad. But delicious. But bad!
  • metisgirl
    metisgirl Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Just look up low glycemic and high glycemic foods and this will answer the good the bad and the ugly...lol
  • furekurss
    Options
    Protein is better but need carbs for cardio performance

We need them to carry protein to our cells. Not arguing... just adding.

also wrong, no offence but show me a study on this? bc there are no studies on this done bc this is broscience
  • gashinshotan
    gashinshotan Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    no we dont

"Carbohydrates are not necessary building blocks of other molecules, and the body can obtain all its energy from protein and fats.[11][12] The brain fats contain 37.8 kilojoules (9 kilocalories) per gram. In the case of protein, this is somewhat misleading as only some amino acids are usable for fuel."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbohydrate#Nutrition
    Protein is better but need carbs for cardio performance

We need them to carry protein to our cells. Not arguing... just adding.
  • erinmac0211
    erinmac0211 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    We need carbs! I do admit, however, I'm trying something out that involves low-carb/high protein days on most days. So I just make sure I eat the best darn carbs I can so they could do their job in my body.

no we dont, im doing Keto thank you verymuch, 0-25g of carbs a day.

brb workouts strong then ever,
    brb HIGH Testosterone flowing in my body
    brb, cave man did not farm and only ate FAT and Protein, and survived and passed on genes.

exactly :) my primal thoughts exactly ahaha
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. Some people don't digest carbs well. I, personally, can lose weight fairly easily, even with eating a carb (and sometimes not even whole grain) at every meal.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    We can also live without sex, tooth brushes, flush toilets and electricity. Just because we can live without them doesn't make them bad.

Some people are happy, and even claim to thrive by limiting or eliminating carbs.

Then other people, who are otherwise healthy and normal, for no apparent reason, try to emulate those low carb people.

Personally, I'd rather eat the carbs. Every day. All day. I like them and they've never hindered my weight loss or weight gain or mood.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Carbs are not essential.

Just another craze tho IMO. I love carbs! Yummy and give me energy
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    I hear people saying that they have to avoid carbs a lot, but I don't understand why. I eat bread or pasta or potatoes all the time and I'm still losing weight. Also I thought they were good for you because they keep you full?
    Can anyone explain? (:

No need to explain. You're doing it right.
  • gashinshotan
    Options
    Yeah haha if I ate only protein I bet I could barely finish two miles.... but if I was just trying lose weight through dieting alone Id eat only protein... im actually forcing myself to eat mostly carbs now that im reaching above 10 miles in my long runs....
    Carbs are not essential.

Options
    Yeah haha if I ate only protein I bet I could barely finish two miles.... but if I was just trying lose weight through dieting alone Id eat only protein... im actually forcing myself to eat mostly carbs now that im reaching above 10 miles in my long runs....
    Carbs are not essential.

Not essential to living I should have said :] Essential for peak performance for some tho! I am the same. If I don't have carbs before a jog i don't do so well.
  • furekurss
    Options
    Carbs are not essential.

Not essential to living I should have said :] Essential for peak performance for some tho! I am the same. If I don't have carbs before a jog i don't do so well.
    hey, if carbs are your thing, by all means go ahead! ;)

morning_picdump_52_640_60.jpg
  • krist3ng
    krist3ng Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I was reading something today (Why We Get Fat by Gary Taubes) and it mentioned that excessive carbohydrates mess with our insulin levels, causing the body to store fat, and also triggering hunger. He was mostly talking about sweet carbs and refined flour and refined sugar, though. What is it? Simple carbs are worse; complex carbs are okay.

Fruits and veggies are high carb. Those are good for you.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,704 Member
    Options
    Carbs aren't bad. They're just drawn that way. Wait, I always get carbs and Jessica Rabbit mixed up.

Anyway, I love carbs, and I eat plenty of them — mostly whole grains. It's never hindered my weight loss, and I feel much better when I eat them.
    Options
    Oh my I almost choked on my water xD
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options

Sorry... this is BS and it pisses me off. Because this myth keeps getting propagated.

Even on a ketogenic diet, you eat SOME carbs. What is it? 40-50 grams? Something like that?

Nobody has proven that you can survive on a 100% carb-free diet, so to say we 'don't need carbs' is foolishness.

As I already mentioned, you at least need fiber or you're gonna get super constipated.

I personally think you need other carbs too... at least some... though I won't argue that ketogenic diets work for some people.
  • poulingail
    Options
    Simple carbs make me tired, hungry again quickly, and make me crave more right away They are the fastest foods digested and are intended to provide quick energy. I don't get anything but drowsy after eating sweets and simple starches. Simple carbs also drive my blood sugar up quickly!
    Complex carbs take longer to digest so they are more satisfying for a longer time. They also keep the cholesterol under control and clean out the digestive track.
    In a perfect world we might enjoy all the white flour and sugar we want but in reality, it's one of those pay me or pay me later things.
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    I was reading something today (Why We Get Fat by Gary Taubes) and it mentioned that excessive carbohydrates mess with our insulin levels, causing the body to store fat, and also triggering hunger. He was mostly talking about sweet carbs and refined flour and refined sugar, though. What is it? Simple carbs are worse; complex carbs are okay.

Fruits and veggies are high carb. Those are good for you.

I'm trying to remember the channel 9 show about the guy who pushes better dieting. His view is from the healthy micronutrient side. I enjoy his point of view on the issue of food.

In this case, something like a potato isn't that great from a micronutrient point of view. Vs something like fruits/veggies like you said. Although the calorie counts might be similar, the fruit would be the better choice.

Now from pure calorie consideration, it's a wash
  • gashinshotan
    Options
    We dont need carbs to survive... all the building blocks of our bodies can be derived from protein and fat alone.

Sorry... this is BS and it pisses me off. Because this myth keeps getting propagated.

Even on a ketogenic diet, you eat SOME carbs. What is it? 40-50 grams? Something like that?

Nobody has proven that you can survive on a 100% carb-free diet, so to say we 'don't need carbs' is foolishness.

As I already mentioned, you at least need fiber or you're gonna get super constipated.

I personally think you need other carbs too... at least some... though I won't argue that ketogenic diets work for some people.
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    I don't think your quality of living would be that great
    We dont need carbs to survive... all the building blocks of our bodies can be derived from protein and fat alone.