Fit, Fabulous and Pregnant - December 2011

Options

Replies

• Demwitted
    Options
    So I checked out a ton of books from the library. One said "Salicylic acid is a no-no." Turns out that I cannot use my face wash, my make-up or my acne spot treatment. I freaked out a little because none of these products said not to use during pregnancy. I had checked. I also used them all daily. My doc said it's fine but not to use them anymore. I thought I'd share. If I didn't know, it's possible others didn't.
  • Better_Balance_2011
    Better_Balance_2011 Posts: 3,711 Member
    Options
    So I checked out a ton of books from the library. One said "Salicylic acid is a no-no." Turns out that I cannot use my face wash, my make-up or my acne spot treatment. I freaked out a little because none of these products said not to use during pregnancy. I had checked. I also used them all daily. My doc said it's fine but not to use them anymore. I thought I'd share. If I didn't know, it's possible others didn't.

I have heard this too, but a lot of people will tell you they are actually fine to use while pregnant. It's probably similiar to the getting your hair dyed, going to the nail salon, or eating lunch meat while pregnant. There are risks involved, but they are probably rather small. I have done all of the above. :smile: However, if your doc says no then......... It may depend a lot on levels of the acid too. There is so much to keep up with!
  • mistigoodwin
    mistigoodwin Posts: 411 Member
    Options

I also realize there are a few things my hubby and I need to discuss like the issue of circumcision if we have a boy. Eeek. Anyone have a strong opinion about this?
    Also, anyone plan on wearing something other than hospital gown for their labor/delivery? If so, what are you planning on wearing. I know that I would be most comfortable in some sort of more regular clothing, but I have no idea what to wear.

Rosanna - I strongly recommend getting your baby circumcised if he's a boy. I was nervous about it with my son and he didn't even cry. My nephew didn't have it done and now he has to and he's 4. That is sad, will be extremely painful and the fact that they can touch it on makes infection more possible. Also a friend of mine's little boy had to have it done when he was 3. I would say yes, do it!!!

On the clothes issue, IDK what to do about this either. I was thinking of what would be comfortable, I just wore the hospital gown the first time and I guess didn't pay attention to it being comfortable or not, might do that again if I don't come up with something by then I guess.
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    I've been reading all the posts, too much to catch up... Welcome all the new comers!

Heather, thanks for all the tips!

AFM, I finally finished my feature which had me working day & night to meet the crazy deadline. Now I'm so tired but grateful because I'll start my vacation next Tuesday all the way to next year!

I started get back (have time) to do some walking. Planning to get my workout in during my vacation everyday in the morning, right after put my kid in daycare - DVD, walking, and hopefully I'll get my stationary bike soon (which I'm about 150 points away to get a free one from Blue Cross Blue Shield). It'll be great to get back on bike, even it's just a stationary.

Finally got my belly support belt last night, start using it. It seems help walking.

FsW4m6.png
  • DeniseGdz
    DeniseGdz Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    AFM: Doctor appointment today. We'll be discussing our birth plan. I didn't realize how many questions I would have, but after trying to put something together pre-appointment, I realize there are a few things I know nothing about. I suppose that's part of what the doctor is for...I also realize there are a few things my hubby and I need to discuss like the issue of circumcision if we have a boy. Eeek. Anyone have a strong opinion about this?

Also, anyone plan on wearing something other than hospital gown for their labor/delivery? If so, what are you planning on wearing. I know that I would be most comfortable in some sort of more regular clothing, but I have no idea what to wear. I was thinking maybe a sports or nursing bra? And a flow-y skirt? That's literally my only idea though.

Have a great day!
    Rosanna

Rosanna,

Hubby and I both are going to have our son circumsiced. The peditrician we met with also works at the hospital where I'll be at and said he would do it, but hubby said he remembered soemthing about my OB saying he'd do it. So we need to clarify this on our next visit. Hubby has two nephews who are not for religious reasons and the infections that those boys suffer breaks my heart....No offense to anyone....I completely understand why it was not done but if we can avoid the infections and the nightly fevers then I'm all for it. Although we are religious we're not that devout to where it would influence our decision.

Because I'm spending the night PRIOR to my C-section I will pack whatever PJ's I fit into at that time. I'll wear the gown post delievry but the nurse at our hospital did recommend bringing some time of flowy moo-moo or a 2 piece button down because there will be lots of walking in the hallways. She also said socks with the rubber on the bottom or slippers would be most convient. I'd like to find a black 2 piece button down but I haven't been looking to hard yet.

The nurse also said they would give out heavy maxi pads for the post C-section but said that she's seen lots of women come in with the depends- which they claim work wonders.

I loved the nurse...she was a fountain of information!!

Hope this helps!
  • Raynamama
    Raynamama Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    .I also realize there are a few things my hubby and I need to discuss like the issue of circumcision if we have a boy. Eeek. Anyone have a strong opinion about this?

Rosanna

Rosanna - I feel pretty strongly about this but I also respect others opinions. I am not going to have my son circumsized, my husband is not circumsized and there is no medical/hygiene benefits to having it done - I can respect if it is for religious/cultural reasons etc but the penis was made the way it was made for a reason - please read this article if you have time...it explains it all in more detail. Again - I am not trying to come across as judgmental or pushy of my own opinions although it is something I feel strongly about, I fully respect others decisions and am not trying to hurt anyone's feelings by expressing my opinion - hope this helps!

http://www.naturalfamilyonline.com/go/index.php/15/12-no-to-circumcision
  • sandijones5783
    sandijones5783 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    18 weeks today! !!! Found out I'm having another boy so this makes 3 boys!!! My gain so far is only 3 lbs!! Haven't been eating the best foods or working out much but i usually walk around 3 to 8 miles at work, the night shift is just messing with my sleep, so I'm still always tired. My doctor said he is fine with me gaining less than 10lbs so that is my new goal, it was 17lbs.
  • Lunarokra
    Lunarokra Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Hello mommies!

Sandijones-Congrats for your baby boy!

Misti-Glad to hear you had an energy boost, I am still feeling exhausted. How exciting you can have your lil one soon. I bet the moment you see her you will know what to name her.

Mrs Jax, Kristy & Kelley-Glad to hear your appointments went great and those babies are growing accordingly.

Jessica- Good luck on your GC test I know how nerve wrecking it is!

Rayna-Good luck on your crochet class, that giraffe project will turn up cute. I also agree with you on non circumcision, we didn't have our son circumcised and I am thankful he has had no issues until now.

Rosanna-I hope you and your hubby are able to get as much info on circumcision and good luck deciding what you would like to do in case you have a boy.

Denise-Thanks for sharing what the nurse told you on the gowns & socks, slippers. Will def pack some of that.

Heather-It's great to hear you and Charlee are doing great, and congrats on your weight loss after birth. Amazing!!! Charlee looks adorable in the pix.

AFM: Long day at work but we went to Applebee's after a 3 1/2 hr meeting. I split appetizers & entrees, and even had leftover chicken fettucine carbonara.

I found a nice play pen for $80 that I bought from someone on craigslist like brand new, it just needs a good wash & dry. My house is so small I don't know where to put all of this now.

I've been so tired, this week. I am ready for the weekend!!

Good night everyone.
    ~Brenda 28 weeks 2 dys
  • timanda2
    timanda2 Posts: 149
    Options
    Hey everyone,
    I would love to join your group. I am 10 weeks pregnant...this is my third child. I am interested in buying a new preggers workout dvd. Have any of you tried Erin O'Brien's Prenatal Fitness Fix? What did you think?
  • sas6575
    Options
    HI ladies,
    Well I had my flu jab on Wednesday evening and it knocked me for six! I spent the entire night in hot and cold sweats with a temp of 104 and my chest felt like it was in a vice! I spent yesterday in bed feeling really sorry for myself and at 6pm last night it was like someone had waved a magic wand - I was right back to normal again!
    If I ever have to have a flu jab again I'll make sure it's on a Friday evening so I can spend the weekend in bed and not take any time off work!
    I've walked 4 miles 4 days this week with the same weights on my ankles - no plans for the weekend though....kinda hoping for a quiet and relaxing one :)
    Have a great weekend everyone :)
  • jchecca
    jchecca Posts: 131
    Options
    morning ladies!!!

sas6575 - i have to say i am in LOVE with your profile pic...baby giraffes are seriously the cutest thing in the world!

sandijones - congrats on baby boy number 3!!!!

brenda - nice work on craigslist! i have been checking out the listings near us but will be waiting to make any big purchases until after my shower.

rosanna - we're definitely going to have our son circumcised but understand that it is totally personal choice and to each their own. i have an appointment next week to figure out if it will be my OB at the hospital or the pediatrician??

AFM: yesterday was a much more productive day than wednesday...so i am proud of myself :) i did half my laundry (i really let it pile up this time! eek!!) and cleaned the whole downstairs of my house while finishing up decorating for christmas. the house feels so festive now and i love it. and i started wrapping the gifts that i have gotten already just so that they move out of the extra bedroom because we need to get that room transformed into the nursary. that is my one source of stress right now...we need to get that room set up. its just a matter of getting the bed into our basement. i think that will be on the to do list this weekend.

goals for me today...drink plenty of water!!!! get out for a walk at lunch time, exercise after work!

hope everyone has a great day...HAPPY FRIDAY!! :drinker:
  • Better_Balance_2011
    Options
    Morming Mamas. It's almost the weekend! NOt much for me to report. I haven't worked out a single time this week so I hope to get a walk in tonight or tomorrow. Good news is our doggie didn't pee in the house yesterday! We didn't even get home until almost 6pm and I leave at around 8:20 and still she was fine. She also held it all night so I didn't have to let her out and then lay awake for an hour which means I got almost 9 hours of mostly (sans 1 bathroom trip) uninterupted sleep. It was great. In addition to Eric's Christmas party last night we got our outdoor Christmas decor up too. It makes me happy. Today we meet our pediatrician at lunch, tomorrow is maternity pics, and Sunday is our last shower. Baby filled weekend.

There has been some discussion about actual delivery - what to wear, hospital info, etc. - which quite honestly I have thought very little about. What's supposed to be in this bag we have to take with us? I am a list person and want to start getting that together. I also want to get the nursery put together soon. Unfortunately this involves dropping some cash on a crib and glider so it may have to be done incrimentally.

Hope you all enjoy the Friday! The sun is finally out here in KY. Yay sun!

-Ashley
    33 weeks
  • DeniseGdz
    DeniseGdz Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    There has been some discussion about actual delivery - what to wear, hospital info, etc. - which quite honestly I have thought very little about. What's supposed to be in this bag we have to take with us? I am a list person and want to start getting that together. I also want to get the nursery put together soon. Unfortunately this involves dropping some cash on a crib and glider so it may have to be done incrimentally.
    -Ashley
    33 weeks

Ashely,

I'm a list maker too :smile: so hubby got me a3 section notebook that I can keep in my purse. I have everything I can think of listed, questions & answers, comments, feedback and anything else that comes to mind in it. I carry with me everywhere- because you just never know where your info will come from.

As of right now, I'm thinking that my list is MUCH MORE than I would like to take- but I'm also one of those that likes to be prepared instead of not having it....So worse case we'll have it with us and if we use it great and if not then at least we had it.

here is my list:

• Driver's license
    • Insurance card
    • FSA card/Credit Card/Cash for parking (for family members) /Change for vending machines (neices/nephews)
    • Eyeglasses
    • Notepad & Pens
    • Sundries (shampoo/conditioner/bodywash/deo/toothbrush/toothpaste)
    • Comb/makeup/lip moisturizer
    • Adult wipies & depends(??)
    • Bathrobe/PJ’s/slippers & socks
    • I touch & ear buds
    • Pillow w/ colorful pillowcase
    • 2 Phone chargers
    • Contact List to call
    • Camera/charger
    • Popcorn/dried fruit/sodas for hubby (we have microwave & small fridge in room)
    • Hubby’s swimming trunks (hes volunteered to help me shower)
    • Cheapy shower slippers for me
    • Nursing bra’s// nursing pads// nipple cream
    • Comfy going home outfit for me & flats
    • Comfy going home outfit for baby
    • Baby cap/gloves/socks
    • Garbage bags in the car incase I puke on the way home
    • Baby nail clippers

TO DO:

Get car seat inspected by fire dept prior to delivery
    Possibly pack breast pump from the house? Hospital charges $75 a day for usage
    Who is going to circumsice the baby? Pediatrician or OB ---ATOM got your note on this one! But I'm going to ask just to make triple sure & have to check about cost/ whose covering!!
  • timanda2
    timanda2 Posts: 149
    Options
    -Ashley
    33 weeks

Ashely,

I'm a list maker too :smile: so hubby got me a3 section notebook that I can keep in my purse. I have everything I can think of listed, questions & answers, comments, feedback and anything else that comes to mind in it. I carry with me everywhere- because you just never know where your info will come from.

As of right now, I'm thinking that my list is MUCH MORE than I would like to take- but I'm also one of those that likes to be prepared instead of not having it....So worse case we'll have it with us and if we use it great and if not then at least we had it.

here is my list:

• Driver's license
    • Insurance card
    • FSA card/Credit Card/Cash for parking (for family members) /Change for vending machines (neices/nephews)
    • Eyeglasses
    • Notepad & Pens
    • Sundries (shampoo/conditioner/bodywash/deo/toothbrush/toothpaste)
    • Comb/makeup/lip moisturizer
    • Adult wipies & depends(??)
    • Bathrobe/PJ’s/slippers & socks
    • I touch & ear buds
    • Pillow w/ colorful pillowcase
    • 2 Phone chargers
    • Contact List to call
    • Camera/charger
    • Popcorn/dried fruit/sodas for hubby (we have microwave & small fridge in room)
    • Hubby’s swimming trunks (hes volunteered to help me shower)
    • Cheapy shower slippers for me
    • Nursing bra’s// nursing pads// nipple cream
    • Comfy going home outfit for me & flats
    • Comfy going home outfit for baby
    • Baby cap/gloves/socks
    • Garbage bags in the car incase I puke on the way home
    • Baby nail clippers

TO DO:

Get car seat inspected by fire dept prior to delivery
    Possibly pack breast pump from the house? Hospital charges $75 a day for usage
    Who is going to circumsice the baby? Pediatrician or OB ---ATOM got your note on this one! But I'm going to ask just to make triple sure & have to check about cost/ whose covering!!
    One thing I wish I would have brought with me when I had my first is my boppy. Nursing is hard enough, and trying to use all of the hospital pillows was really awkward. I used it with my second and it worked out wonderfully. I plan on bringing it with this pregnancy too.
  • Raynamama
    Raynamama Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Morning all...SO GLAD IT'S FRIDAY! :bigsmile: ready for the weekend for sure.

Last night was an interesting evening :wink: went to my MIL's house had grilled cheese for supper (YUM) then headed out to Michael's for our crochet class. The class was supposed to start at 6PM but no instructor so I asked at the front, and they're like oh she'll be here soon, so went back to class and my MIL and I just started reading my pattern and trying to figure it out using YouTube videos off a Lion Brand Yarn app I have on my iPhone lol :bigsmile: so we were actually making some progress. I looked up at the clock and it was 6:30! So I went out again and I was like...um, does someone want to call this instructor??? That might be an idea??? :noway: anyway so they called her and she had no idea she was teaching that night...good times.
    So we got a refund - then we shopped around michaels looking at crochet books and my MIL bought me one that has tons of pictures that show exactly how to do certain things and I'm like SOLD :happy: lol so I just went home and tried to figure it out for myself...it worked out well, I'm halfway done the giraffe body and it looks pretty good for my first try :)
    I bought some really cute baby hat crochet patterns off etsy.com and I'm really excited to start some projects!
    Anyway...enough about crochet...sorry that was longer than it was supposed to be! :blushing:

I had my Dr appt yesterday afternoon - everything looks great, heartbeat is 145 and he was kicking like mad the entire time, he even kicked the monitor and it made a huge thump noise ;) little stinker! I got a prescription for heart burn (not sure if I'll use it, but nice to have just in case) and I had to make an appt to get my Rhogan injection (for my blood type) - so that's next Tuesday...I asked my sister about it because she had to get it too and I guess it's a big needle in your butt...sounds fun! Lol
    Anyway, it was really nice to hear Mason's heartbeat again and just know that everything is ok :)

This weekend I'm trying to keep pretty low key - going to try to clean up a bit, organize some more, hang the rest of the decor in the nursery - do some crocheting and we're also going to check out Babies R Us because they are having a sale on a glider chair that I like and that's one of the last things i need for the nursery. So pretty low key, which will be nice.
    I'm going to try to fit in 1-2 workouts in there too.

Better_Balance - for the hospital bag, this is what I was told to bring from my class:
    - Your Birth Plan
    - Robe
    - Slippers
    - Socks
    - Nightgown
    - Massage oil or lotion
    - hair band
    - lip balm (lips get REALLY chapped throughout labour!)
    - Snacks and drinks for both you & your partner/coach
    - Camera and extra batteries
    - Relaxation materials (music, candles, etc)
    - Toiletries
    - Change of clothes for your partner
    - Swim trunks/towel for your partner (if you have a shower in your hospital room)
    - Outfit to wear home for you & baby
    - Nursing pads
    - Nursing bra
    - Car Seat
    - Warm blanket for baby
    - Socks for baby
    - Diapers (usually the hospital will give you some though)

Hope that helps! :bigsmile:
  • aimeeclaire
    aimeeclaire Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Morning Ladies!

Love the lists! :) I am such a list person too and have been working on mine already.

Welcome to the newbies!

Rayna - bummer about your crochet class. exciting that you are learning on your own tho! that is something i would definitely like to try sometime. good luck!

I have had a very busy week at work but am proud of myself. Monday-walk on tread, Tue-swim, Thur-swim, and today I plan to get on the treadmill soon. I have also been bringing very good snacks with me to work: grapes, carrots, string cheese...

Things I need to work on: getting enough water! staying away from tempting treats--cookies, candy...

Was suppose to go to a swim meet this weekend but am not going to anymore...two other coaches are going and we only have 6 swimmers attending. Hoping to get lots done around the house and Christmas shopping/wrapping! :)

Hope you all have a great weekend!

Aimee
    21 weeks - 14 lb gain
  • Better_Balance_2011
    Options
    Yes! Thank you all for lists! Very helpful.

Rayna hope your heartburn subsides. Mine was pretty bad the past 2 days but feels better today.

I'm totally not motivated today. I have had a very productive week and now I've sort of hit a wall. Typical Friday....
  • heathercrist1
    heathercrist1 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies! I see there is a lot of talk about what to wear/bring/etc at the hospital.... I will admit I brought WAY more stuff than I needed and there were certain things I'm SO glad I brought. As far as what to wear...I went in wearing sweats and a tshirt with a sportsbra. I went straight into the jacuzzi when I was admitted and my sportsbra got wet and by that point I had lost my modesty and didn't care so I took it off and just got into a hospital gown. After labor I showered immediately and put on the lovely hospital mesh "panties" and even lovelier diaper like pad (which was absolutely necessary but a little ridiculous), loose fitting black sleep pants, my maternity bra, and a tank with a loose sweater I could remove when I got warm. I would not advise buying a cute night gown/robe because I got blood on my pants and had to change them twice (which is totally normal). I would recommend just wearing something comfy that can be thrown out if they get stained (the reason why I wore black so I could just wash them).

As far as things to bring (besides the normal toiletries, 3 changes of comfy clothes, nursing bra/pads), chapstick is essential, gas drops for baby were so useful for us (Charlee was born with a gurgly gassy belly and OTC gas drops are easier to give the baby then to try and get a prescription and I would just bring your diaper bag and have the drops in the bag for just in case), Soothies, soft socks, snacks like pb crackers/beef jerky/protein bars for hubby and you after baby is born, phone charger, camera, and tennis balls (these were SOOOO important and used a bunch during my labor to rub my back! oh and word to the wise...on skin they hurt, but on a sheet or the gown they feel like heaven!), baby book for footprints and to write down important info...if you are motivated or bored, and your own pillow.

Things I did not use were cd with music (I really thought I'd be all about relaxing music, but my labor progressed so quickly I could have cared less what music was playing lol), and a fan (each room had a fan in it so I'd see if your hospital has fans). These were big bulky items I could have done without.

I hope this helps!
  • jchecca
    jchecca Posts: 131
    Options
    i love the lists...the only thing that concerns me about myself is that i will pack WAY too much!

question for the board (might be silly)...when do you add your baby to insurance?? is this something you do before or after they are born???
  • Better_Balance_2011
    Options

question for the board (might be silly)...when do you add your baby to insurance?? is this something you do before or after they are born???

You should check with your provider but my insurance covers the baby until 6 months I think. There is a leeway time before she/he has to have their own I am sure though.

Thanks Heather for the info too. Good call on the taking dark pants/stuff you don't care to get messy.

OK, I'm logging off now in hopes of finding my motivation.