Living Social McDonald's Deal

Options

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I don't want to hear anyone bashing on McDonald's if you still drink alcohol. At least Mickie D's has a little nutrional value. What's the value of half a dozen rum and coke other than it just being awesomely fun?

Wine has healthy antioxidants. Rum and coke may have no nutritional value but drinking any type of alcohol in moderation has been shown to have overall health benefits. Nutrients are not the only thing needed for health.

Oh, so Mc Donalds in moderation isn't ok, but alchohol is? I use to run a bar, and I hardly ever saw people drink in moderation, if they did we would have 1/10 of the bars that we have.

I never said or implied anything about what is "ok". What people do and what is healthy are different subjects.

Alcohol in moderation has been shown in peer reviewed clinical studies to have health benefits. Do you know of any studies showing something similar for McD food?
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    Ok fine. Though I doubt it would happen I'll concede that maybe a struggling person was derailed and ate McDonald's because of all those meanies saying they eat and are still losing their weight.

But on the whole this is an extremely valuable thread because of the message of moderation and eschewing black and white thinking. There are so many people here with absolutist thinking that borders on a disorder. Everything is bad and to be avoided or good and tolerated. No room for enjoyment in this outlook, just punishing oneself to some idea of perfection which for an alarming number of women here seems to be perfection in the form of unhealthy low weight with as little muscle as possible. It alarms me.

So Bry and Ex (if I may call you that, though we are not yet acquainted ) have argued against the OPs original absolutist you better not tone. Someone made a sly comment about whether Bry would eat all of her food. That implication of disorder pissed me off. That body doesn't come from starving but from dedication and long term hard work. I'm her friend. Trust me, the girl eats. And I'm pretty sure she could hold her own in a fight so knock it off. She also has back up. But I digress

Black and white anxious thinkers need to see the message that all the hot people who preceded me in the. 9 pages of posts and all the people with tickers indicating impressive losses and more to go that advocate eating an occasional burger have done what they've done eating how they say.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    This thread is still alive?

tumblr_lu9n06W1KS1qzozj1.gif
  • adrian_indy
    adrian_indy Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I don't want to hear anyone bashing on McDonald's if you still drink alcohol. At least Mickie D's has a little nutrional value. What's the value of half a dozen rum and coke other than it just being awesomely fun?

Wine has healthy antioxidants. Rum and coke may have no nutritional value but drinking any type of alcohol in moderation has been shown to have overall health benefits. Nutrients are not the only thing needed for health.

Oh, so Mc Donalds in moderation isn't ok, but alchohol is? I use to run a bar, and I hardly ever saw people drink in moderation, if they did we would have 1/10 of the bars that we have.

I never said or implied anything about what is "ok". What people do and what is healthy are different subjects.

Alcohol in moderation has been shown in peer reviewed clinical studies to have health benefits. Do you know of any studies showing something similar for McD food?

Peer review for what? If you were starving, hadn't ate in days, what would be better for you, a cheese burger or a glass of wine? I'm just sick of these threads where everyone is so hell bent on proving McDonalds is the devil. Why McDonalds? I can go to Texas Road house and have an unhealthy 4,000 calorie meal easily, but no one mentions that or any other restaraunt.

And yes, there is peer reviews that show a couple glasses of wine is good for you, I just happen to suspect that almost no one I know stops after 2 glasses of wine. It's just another excuse in a long line of excuses to get trashed, not that I care, I loves me getting drunk!

But the point is, if someone wants to enjoy a Big Mac every now and then, I don't want to hear this nutritional moral majority harping on them when I can easily point back at the margaritas they had over the weekend as not exactly sports nutrition. Alcohol, food, hell, almost all behaviors are not bad for you in moderation, so people need to get off McDonalds and get on people who eat 5 Big Macs in one sitting.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    3. This post causing people to binge - I am a binge eater. I have had to work very hard to get this under control. Sometimes I still lose it. Having a site like this where I can see some of the other users with truly amazing bodies that still eat all of these bad and forbidden foods actually helps to put them into perspective. If they can eat them and still be ok, why do I have to hide it when I eat them? Why can't I just learn to eat it publicly and proportionately to my goals? Isn't that the new mindset I should be looking for?

I don't know if that was serious question or not, but since you put it out there I'll offer my opinion. No. That is not the mindset you should be looking for. You should be looking for the mindset of eating healthy whole foods as often as possible.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,679 Member
    Options
    Fast food is poison! I love the taste, but not the fat it puts on my body :) Haven't had any in weeks, and I don't plan to anytime soon :)
    I should be dead then after slowly "poisoning" myself for over 40 years! C'mon fat only accumulates if you EAT TOO MUCH OF IT.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Moonbyebye
    Moonbyebye Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    that doesn't even sound appetizing.
  • hmstarbuck
    hmstarbuck Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Personally, and ignore the fact this is coming from a vegan because it's not an animal-rights thing for me,
    McDonalds is effing disgusting and even as a kid I never enjoyed it.
    It's bad for you and I'd rather fuel my body with good stuff.
    I don't think the thread will "derail"anyone, but I don't get how people can eat the over-processed-unrecognizable crap.
    Not to mention, it is true, the advertising totally brainwashes people. I'm writing a paper on fast food advertising in working class areas as we speak...

Then don't eat it! Simple as that. I don't understand why if you don't like it other people can't. (and I'm not saying this about you, I just happened to jump in right here) Why is that this is a constant debate. McDonalds is around to make money, same as the hardware store down the road and any other grocery store. They are a business. They have a found a gold mine and they capitalize on it! I think its fantastic! If only I had come up with the concept. And as far as it being horrible for you, hell yes it is! Anyone with a bit of common sense knows this. You eat it everyday, yep, your going to have to deal with weight gain and all that other stuff. No one is driving my car to McDonalds and forcing me to eat it, my 2 year is not driving himself to McDonalds and ordering a happy meal! Its choices. You have to take accountability for your choices. You cannot blame smart advertising for making you jump in your car and eat 5 big macs. Come on. And if that were true, then that would go for anything. Turn off the T.V., don't read magazines, no getting on the computer, don't look at the billboards, etc.

I personally love McDonalds. I don't eat it but 4 times a year. My son loves their french fries (he's 2) and my daughter loves their salads (she's 14). I didn't force either of them to eat there. They have developed their own tastes. We don't make it a regular staple but by cracky, it sure is easy when in a hurry or your too tired to do something. Otherwise, yes, I cook at home. But stop blaming OTHERS for issues that go way deeper than advertising or fast food!

(and again, I'm sorry, this was not directed to YOU, specifically:smile: )
  • mscoco10
    mscoco10 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong withhaving fast food sometimes. Its a part of life. For me to say I'll never have a Big MAC again would be stupid and a lie. Since its 5 Big macs and 5 fries i would think it would be used for a special outing with kids or family./ friends like after a game or something like that. Lets get a grip people. SMH
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    3. This post causing people to binge - I am a binge eater. I have had to work very hard to get this under control. Sometimes I still lose it. Having a site like this where I can see some of the other users with truly amazing bodies that still eat all of these bad and forbidden foods actually helps to put them into perspective. If they can eat them and still be ok, why do I have to hide it when I eat them? Why can't I just learn to eat it publicly and proportionately to my goals? Isn't that the new mindset I should be looking for?

I don't know if that was serious question or not, but since you put it out there I'll offer my opinion. No. That is not the mindset you should be looking for. You should be looking for the mindset of eating healthy whole foods as often as possible.

And I do. We make most of our meals from scratch, using fresh foods as possible and in season and frozen for the rest. McDonald's is an occasional food in our house. I also know that I have a responsibility to teach my kids moderation that I never learned. Does it mean they can never have a burger, or an ice cream cone, or an oreo? Not to me, but it does mean that they don't look at those as daily foods. I much prefer a 'real' burger over most of what the fast food chains call burgers. I make some excellent ones at home. I have, in the past though, gone through the drive through and ate well too many cheeseburgers and hid it thinking that eating something like that would make it so I could never lose weight. That is not the truth.
  • Shanna_Inc86
    Shanna_Inc86 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I say nothing to my friends and family that eat fast food. I choose not to b/c it makes me gag and I prefer for my daughter to not eat it and for ppl to not offer it to her. I don't see it as a treat. I do see homemade pie as a treat lol or homemade baked goods. I just don't know how people eat it and not get sick from it. Why not opt for a homemade burger and homemade fries? Why not opt for food that is loaded with so many chemicals?

I will say though, if you want to eat fast food in moderation & you're still losing weight, awesome. However, I do wonder what its ACTUALLY doing to your insides. Losing weight does not necessarily mean healthy. Look at how many seemingly healthy ppl die from heart attacks and cancer every year. Yes, there is more to it and I think exercise and a healthy diet are VERY beneficial.
    I think it'd be cool to be able to see how a human's body reacts during the digestion process to fast food compared to a homemade burger & fries. Maybe there's no difference, but I'd be willing to bet there is.
  • hmstarbuck
    hmstarbuck Posts: 152 Member
    Options

Mental sanity would be the value :noway:
  • RoadkingDavid
    RoadkingDavid Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Crap. I could eat a regular hamburger from that place and gain 5 lbs. So, please. Shut up already.
  • Shanna_Inc86
    Options
    There's nothing wrong withhaving fast food sometimes. Its a part of life.

Its a part of life for Recent generations. It was NOT a part of life for the older generations...I think we'd be doing just fine if we didn't have fast food. Very curious to what the obesity rate would be if fast food places didn't exist. Justa thought
  • adrian_indy
    adrian_indy Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    If Pizza hut had a special running of 2 large pizza for 10 dollars, would you McDonald's bashers eat both pizzas by yourself? How about White Castle. If you buy a sack of 20 Cheese burgers do you eat all that as well?
  • mscoco10
    mscoco10 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I say nothing to my friends and family that eat fast food. I choose not to b/c it makes me gag and I prefer for my daughter to not eat it and for ppl to not offer it to her. I don't see it as a treat. I do see homemade pie as a treat lol or homemade baked goods. I just don't know how people eat it and not get sick from it. Why not opt for a homemade burger and homemade fries? Why not opt for food that is loaded with so many chemicals?

I will say though, if you want to eat fast food in moderation & you're still losing weight, awesome. However, I do wonder what its ACTUALLY doing to your insides. Losing weight does not necessarily mean healthy. Look at how many seemingly healthy ppl die from heart attacks and cancer every year. Yes, there is more to it and I think exercise and a healthy diet are VERY beneficial.
    I think it'd be cool to be able to see how a human's body reacts during the digestion process to fast food compared to a homemade burger & fries. Maybe there's no difference, but I'd be willing to bet there is.

heart attacks and cancer come from years of bad habits not just eating fast food. Fast food is a part of life since the late 60's /early 70's. Moderation is the key. People have always been fat and over weight. I know too many people who are vegaterians but eat a whole loaf of bread 2/3 times a day. That's not a plan for success either. A lot of people would lose more weight and be honest with their food diary if people were honest that a big mac every couple of months is NOT the end of the world. I'm so over this topic b/c people are not being realistic.
  • Shanna_Inc86
    Options
    Hello Myfitnesspals!

Today Living Social posted a deal for 5 Big Macs and 5 Large Fries for $13! SMH and people wonder why the US is the fattest country! Just because you get more doesn't mean it's better. I better not see any of myfitnesspals buying that deal!

Love ya!
    Lauren

Getting back on track here.... if any one of my friends ever said they better not see me buying that deal, I would drop them just for saying that. I mean, really.... My friends know better and Hell some of my friends are friends with me, because they know the way I choose to eat and can keep this figure.

I wouldn't defriend someone for eating fast food lol IRL or on here.
    Do to your body what you want. Hell, I don't know if I'd have any friends left if I felt that they had to agree with me on food

The ONLY time I'll become a nazi about it is when a friend specifically asks me what I've down to lose weight or what they should do. I tell them, with the disclaimer that its an ongoing process. Fast food is no temptation to me at all, except subway veggie subs, but dark chocolate with almonds are! LoL We all have our vices. But when they ask for help, I offer, I'm trying to work with them b/c THEY ASKED and then they continue to do what they were doing. Don't whine about being "fat" and then go eat junk. Simple as that.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options

Its a part of life for Recent generations. It was NOT a part of life for the older generations...I think we'd be doing just fine if we didn't have fast food. Very curious to what the obesity rate would be if fast food places didn't exist. Justa thought

If it wasn't fast food restaurants, it would be something else. Do you know what they put in canned goods when they first started to mass market them? There was sawdust and animal droppings and probably more than that in the foods. To this day, questionable chemicals are used on the cans used in the canning process. Cocaine used to be in the recipe for Coca Cola. My thought is that there is no one thing that is the cause to obesity. There are more and more chemicals in our foods and more and more hormones. There are dangerous medications in our water supply that we drink, bathe in, cook with and swim in. More and more of what is available in the store is chemicals to eat than actual food. Kids are kept inside. Instead of playing outside for 10 hours a day in the summer, they play video games and watch tv. There isn't always a parent around, most families have to have all of the adults working now. This leaves the kids time to eat food that they wouldn't be able to snack on with a parent around. Lots of causes.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options

Even without fast food places the obesity rate would be the same. Why? Because people are inherently lazy. Why do you think so many inventions were made in the name of "efficiency"
    So more work could be done in less time and with less effort.
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    Ok fine. Though I doubt it would happen I'll concede that maybe a struggling person was derailed and ate McDonald's because of all those meanies saying they eat and are still losing their weight.

But on the whole this is an extremely valuable thread because of the message of moderation and eschewing black and white thinking. There are so many people here with absolutist thinking that borders on a disorder. Everything is bad and to be avoided or good and tolerated. No room for enjoyment in this outlook, just punishing oneself to some idea of perfection which for an alarming number of women here seems to be perfection in the form of unhealthy low weight with as little muscle as possible. It alarms me.

So Bry and Ex (if I may call you that, though we are not yet acquainted ) have argued against the OPs original absolutist you better not tone. Someone made a sly comment about whether Bry would eat all of her food. That implication of disorder pissed me off. That body doesn't come from starving but from dedication and long term hard work. I'm her friend. Trust me, the girl eats. And I'm pretty sure she could hold her own in a fight so knock it off. She also has back up. But I digress

Black and white anxious thinkers need to see the message that all the hot people who preceded me in the. 9 pages of posts and all the people with tickers indicating impressive losses and more to go that advocate eating an occasional burger have done what they've done eating how they say.

I just noticed this. But, it was actually a friend who said that about hoping I would finish it all. She was kidding, but she does know I had a disorder in my past and I don't always finish all of my food at one sitting. But, I appreciate the stance and heart you very hard, too. :bigsmile: