How to get lean muscles and not bulky?

Options

Replies

• AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Just because it's on the internet doesn't make it true. It is impossible to "elongate" your muscles without surgery. Do you get all your information from ehow.com? That would certainly explain a lot...

Tigersword, correct me if I am wrong, but don't you use the internet to post things to me to try to prove that I don't know what I'm talking about?

I don't have to believe you. Just as you don't have to believe what I have posted.

My information comes from textbooks and peer reviewed scientific journals, not an ehow article written by an anonymous person with no credentials. Especially an article with no basis in science, that can easily be disproved with just a cursory examination of any scientific research on the subject.

I like to use other people's logic , research, and professional advice paired with my own scarcasm.
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    and if someone KNEW their own body and was so spot on and KNEW what they were talking about, wouldn't they already have been successful and be at their goal and then some?

Bry_all01, you might have me on ignore and good. I'm not on the fast track. I'm on the slow road. I'm aiming to lose fat and not scale weight. Scale weight loss and fat loss aren't the same thing. It takes time to lose fat or do you disagree with that as well?

If you KNEW what you were talking about, you would ALREADY BE there and would be speaking from experience. Period.
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    My information comes from textbooks and peer reviewed scientific journals, not an ehow article written by an anonymous person with no credentials. Especially an article with no basis in science, that can easily be disproved with just a cursory examination of any scientific research on the subject.

You quote what people have said online. I don't believe you and you don't believe me. Life goes on. I'm done.
  • Football_N_Guns
    Football_N_Guns Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    "I know that everyone on here is not here to lose weight. People are going to believe what they want and who they want. I don't come on forums to change anyone's mind."

Yet you continue to reply to everyone's posts trying to disprove his or her's response. State what you want to state and move on. There is no need to continue to argue your point.

You can move on too.

See how easily you proved my point. It's like taking candy from a baby.....

I REALLY want some Happy Cola gummis now.....

Step away from the candy little girl. Oh wait......come here little girl, I have candy.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    5tsz74.jpg
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    PubMed, shmub-med.

Give me ehow and yahoo-answers any day.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    From Rosie Chee Scott
    Testosterone is one of the androgenic hormones responsible for anabolism in the body (Kraemer & Ratamess). It is testosterone that is responsible for masculine traits (i.e. excess hair (especially facial), deepening of voice, increase in muscle mass). Both males and females produce testosterone, as it is necessary for hormonal balance and body function (Marieb, 2004). However, males have much HIGHER levels of testosterone than females, with the ‘normal’ range of total testosterone (in the bloodstream) being 0.95-4.3 pg/dl, compared to the 0.7-3.6 pg/dl of females. However, it is not so much the total amount of testosterone that an individual has that determines their potential/ability for muscle growth, since most of the testosterone in the body is bound to either sex hormone binding globulin (SHBG) or other non-specific proteins such as albumin (Wheeler, 1995), but their levels of FREE testosterone (i.e. the amount of testosterone that is NOT bound in the body). In males 0.3-5% (with an average of 2%) of their total testosterone if free, with their free testosterone normal values being 270-1100 ng/dl, compared to only 6-86 ng/dl of free testosterone available to females.
    Just as many people have the misconception that weight training or lifting heavy weights will suddenly cause a woman to exhibit masculine traits, so many people also hold the inaccurate belief that non-hormonal anabolic products – like testosterone boosters – should not be used by women, for fear that they will cause androgenic side effects. However, increasing a woman’s testosterone levels through using natural and herbal supplementation is unlikely to cause such effects, as women have much lower free testosterone levels than men (6-86 ng/dl, compared to the 270-1100 ng/dl of bioavailable testosterone in men), and it is free testosterone that determines such effects; and even if a woman’s total testosterone is increased, it is not significant enough to change her hormonal balance to be comparative to that of a man physiologically.

http://worldphysique.com/wpwomenmag/?p=850

http://worldphysique.com/wpwomenmag/?p=347

http://www.rosiesmusclerevolution.com/index.htm
  • Krull_the_WarriorKing
    Options
    Hey all - I'm seeing the term scape weight a lot here. Can someone tell me what exactly scale weight is?
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    5tsz74.jpg

Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    Hey all - I'm seeing the term scape weight a lot here. Can someone tell me what exactly scale weight is?

when you weigh your scale. :bigsmile:
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options

You quote what people have said online. I don't believe you and you don't believe me. Life goes on. I'm done.

I think we all mostly don't believe you. I've read some of your posts and tried to stay out of it. If you don't understand that "online" isn't a source of equal information, then I don't think anyone is going to be able to change your mind about what a reliable source of information is.
  • tuneses
    tuneses Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Everyone GTFO. If its on the Internet it IS true. Even Lincoln said it.
  • WarriorMom2012
    WarriorMom2012 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Ballet workouts are super!

211mkps.jpg

I love you. I was just going to ask where Captain Kirk was since I saw a Klingon...
  • WarriorMom2012
    WarriorMom2012 Posts: 621 Member
    Options

If only that were true...
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    If only that were true...
    Wish I could have used eHow as a source when i was in school...
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    So, let me see if I got this correct. Want muscle tone, but not "too big," right?
    imager.php?id=2712973&t=o
    "NICE CALVES"
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Lose body fat and you're legs are guaranteed to get smaller. If your legs got bigger, they likely accumulated more fat on them.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Damn.. I go to work and miss all the fun... You guys gotta stop doing that!! :(
  • iKristine
    iKristine Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Without steroids a woman cannot get bulky.Best result is coming from light weights with high reps.
    The leaner you get the less bulky your calves are going to be.

yeah they can

No they cannot. Testosterone is what is needed. And the only way a woman gets big, is if she had higher testosterone naturally to begin. And trust me, this woman would know already this applies to her cause she would be big muscled in life in general.

Most women, with normal testosterone (the rest of us) will not get large by weight training. The most you would expect is to tighten up. But you would not get more girth.

I can bicep more than most 20 year olds in the gym at 35lbs. My arms are just as big as they were when I did 15s. I know, because I measured them. They have not budged. But they have got more tight skinned.

lets be real here, you are doing 35lb curls and assuming you have good form, fine, but for probalby 5 reps each arm. 2 different types of muscles,

in a nut shell, heavy weights+less reps= CNS strenght more then size, Moderate weights+more reps= more size less strenght

so strength does not equal size.

explains why power lifters look like they dont even lift but can pick up heavy weights, vs IFBB pro that still does really heavy weights but not as heavy as bodybuilders

I do 3 sets at 10. But it took me 3 months to get there.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I do 3 sets at 10. But it took me 3 months to get there.

I just wanted to say... DANG!

*applause*

I can hoist my 35# bucket of kitty litter no problem. I can't imagine curling them with good form. :smile: