Trader Joe's!

Options

Replies

• Talazws
    Talazws Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Thank goodness for Trader Joe's! They are the only place around where I can buy gluten-free items that don't cost and arm and a leg. They even have a gluten-free symbol that marks their gluten-free products. As a vegan, I also really appreciate that they mark their vegan products as well. There are 4 or so TJ's in my area (NYC), so it is no problem getting there-- though it is hard to lug everything home on the subway! Also, most times of the day there is a crazy long line that stretches around the store. Here is a list of my typical purchases:

Corn pasta (and sometimes rice pasta)
    Polenta
    Hummus (all kinds!)
    Raisins
    Savory thins rice crackers
    Sunflower seeds
    Tofu
    Frozen berries and frozen pineapple
    Frozen peas and corn
    Quinoa
    Soy milk or rice, almond etc.
    Popcorn with herbs and spices
    Rice cakes
    Soy chorizo
    Tofu
    Salsa (chunky, corn, and pineapple are all good!)
    Dried cranberries

I also buy catfood there-- my cats get mad when I buy them anything else!
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    IT'S two buck chuck, the wine, now $5 buck chuck. Best cheap wine you will ever drink.
    still $2 for two buck chuck here..
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    I love Trader Joes but they make me sad.

They do not carry the Eggplant Hummus on the East coast....so I will never, ever ever ever ever get to try it.

Does anyone want to "be a lamb" and send me a container of the Eggplant hummus? I'll love you forever, I'll like you for always, As long as I'm living, my baby you'll be.
  • Jflowwers
    Jflowwers Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I was just there yesterday and walked out with all of this for 23 dollars

a big bag of pre portioned raw almonds
    2 bags of baby spinach
    a huge bag of pre chopped kale
    2 bags of celery hearts
    2 bags or carrots
    bunch of bananas
    a carton of strawberries
  • nikkiw283
    nikkiw283 Posts: 90
    Options
    Vanilla Coconut Milk
    Veggie Masala Burgers
    Pesto Genovese chicken breast
    pollo asado chicken breast
    chimichurri salmon
    valencia peanut and flaxseed peanut butter
    togu edamame nuggets
    eggplant and zucchini misto alla griglia
  • wxgurl
    wxgurl Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    There is so much to love at Trader Joe's! I love their frozen turkey patties, the frozen indian dishes are great when I am in a hurry, the frozen orange chicken is another great one. Also, their "this apple walked into a bar" cereal bars are amazing! We also buy the organic applesauce and pear sauce for my baby...so much cheaper than regular baby foods. They also have great chicken and beef products, as well as their yogurt! I could just go on and on and on...but i won't...except that for a rare treat, their vanilla cream filled cookies (similar to oreo's) are also fabulous!
  • ssp1977
    ssp1977 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    bump
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I am sad that we don't have any equivalent (to my knowledge) in the Uk, which is really annoying.
    I would love to have all these choices at good prices.
    It sounds like a really fun store to go shop in.
  • Hearts_2015
    Options
    I am sad that we don't have any equivalent (to my knowledge) in the Uk, which is really annoying.
    I would love to have all these choices at good prices.
    It sounds like a really fun store to go shop in.
    Aldi's owns Trader Joe's, do you have an Aldi's?
  • LilacDreamer
    Options
    reposting:
    I love Trader Joes but they make me sad.

They do not carry the Eggplant Hummus on the East coast....so I will never, ever ever ever ever get to try it.

Does anyone want to "be a lamb" and send me a container of the Eggplant hummus? I'll love you forever, I'll like you for always, As long as I'm living, my baby you'll be.
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Chocolate covered edamame... I know it's not vegan... but ugh, it's just so good. I am the worst haha.
  • dlibonati
    dlibonati Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    BUMP - So I can make a shopping list from all of your recommendations!

We drive all the way across the Canada/US border to shop at Trader Joes we love it SO much. Some of my favourites so far:

Eggplant hummus (so light!)
    100 cal kettlecorn packs
    The chicken/apple sausages that have no pork product in them
    the cheap cheap cheap fish. Ahi tuna and mahi mahi are probably 75% cheaper than in Vancouver.
    Tri colour quinoa
    The frozen veggie personal lasagnes
    Oh and i'm slightly addicted to the tuna in green curry
    The coconut milk is SO cheap compared to ours

I just wish we were allowed to bring back the $3 wine on a day trip!
  • LilacDreamer
    Options
    Still looking for someone to send me Eggplant hummus so i can try it without having to travel to the west coast :)
  • allknowingtomato
    allknowingtomato Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Does anyone remember the Peanut Flour they used to sell there? it was so cheap and better than PB2 (because the peanut flour was just defatted peanuts, no sugar added). they discontinued it and i LOVED making peanut butter chocolate protein smoothies.

Does anyone know of a substitute product? i really want to have my peanut flour back!
  • quixoticmantis
    quixoticmantis Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    BUMP!! We just got a Trader Joe's here.....hopefully going tomorrow!
  • Hearts_2015
    Options
    BUMP!! We just got a Trader Joe's here.....hopefully going tomorrow!
    Great news!! Have fun!!!:drinker:

New product I've tried recently is the Mahi Mahi frozen patties. Simply Delish! Not at my own computer so I don't have the exact name but look in the fish section and you'll find them there.:bigsmile:
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Whole wheat tortillas and unsalted cashews.

Smoked corn (add to salads for a nice smokey flavor).

SOME OF THEIR SAUSAGES HAVE HALF THE SALT AND FAT OF OTHERS. If you read the labels, one of their chicken sausages (maybe the Italian) has half the sodium and much less fat than their others. No, you can't eat a lot - its still a sausage - but you can budget for one or two in your diet if you're careful with what else you eat that day. And they're yummy.
  • emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    Options
    Closest one to me is Charleston.. =/ I just looked at the store finder....=( It is just gonna have to be Bi-Lo for me.. =p
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    AGH! I can't figure out how to delete an erroneous post!
  • Hearts_2015
    Options
    Does anyone remember the Peanut Flour they used to sell there? it was so cheap and better than PB2 (because the peanut flour was just defatted peanuts, no sugar added). they discontinued it and i LOVED making peanut butter chocolate protein smoothies.

Does anyone know of a substitute product? i really want to have my peanut flour back!

How about making your own using a food processor! You can also do the same with almonds, coconuts etc., also works great if you're gluten free and looking for alternatives.:flowerforyou: