Prejudged because of car?!?

Options
Lift_hard_eat_big
Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
Was having lunch today and as I normally do, I put my keys and phone on the table top. Waitress comes over to take my order and looks at my keys, then me, then while looking at my keys again, she asks "So, how big of a prick are you"?

She may have said it in a joking manner, but she doesn't know me well enough, or at all, to make a joke like that.

Has anyone else been prejudged because of their car, what was your scenario?

Replies

• 3GKnight
    3GKnight Posts: 203
    Options
    I dunno. What kind of car?
  • tkn11
    tkn11 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    yeah except they didn't think I was a prick, but poor hahahha

po girl :cry:
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've been...but honestly, based on personal experience, I think people who drive Hummers are a-holes! (sorry if that's what you've got!).

Edit: just to add..I live in the Detroit area, and people can be PSYCHOTIC if you drive anything from a Japanese maker. We have a Toyota Tundra (which incidentally has the highest percentage of American made parts in the full size pickup class), but that won't stop the UAW nut jobs from yelling at you!
  • bhalter
    bhalter Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Wow, making a funny remark would have been one thing, but a customer service person saying something like that is highly uncalled for.
  • reaolliemama
    reaolliemama Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    did you show her how big of a prick you could be? I'd have reported her to her manager!
  • 3GKnight
    3GKnight Posts: 203
    Options
    Actually, I drive a car that I hope I'm not judged by. I got it because it was cheap and fit 3 car seats. I'll get my truck someday but I feel like a dweeb in the mean time. No one's ever said anything though.
  • messyinthekitchen
    messyinthekitchen Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    I lost friends over it. I bought a Cadillac SRX this summer and I seriously lost friends over it. They said I got snotty since buying my car. I don`t know wtf they`re talking about I have always been the same person. If I am ever `Snotty`it`s deserved. I guess that`s a type of prejudice.
  • ayummymommy01
    ayummymommy01 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    WOW, definitely report her...yes my hubby drives the Infiniti FX 45...so people are always asking him to give to charities. He was never accused of being a "prick" though. Oy, that is terrible.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options

Has anyone else been prejudged because of their car, what was your scenario?

I once took my bosses Mercedes out to pick up an ice cream cake for our VP's bday. I had to drive all over downtown boston right as everyone was coming in for the sox game. The traffic was horrendous, the cake was melting...

Anyhow, the light turns green and this woman and her husband just walk right out in front of me. I laid on the horn, she screamed "you snobby b!tch" and kicked the front end of the car :(
  • messyinthekitchen
    messyinthekitchen Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Actually, I drive a car that I hope I'm not judged by. I got it because it was cheap and fit 3 car seats. I'll get my truck someday but I feel like a dweeb in the mean time. No one's ever said anything though.

I`m sure no one is judging you! Well except the b*tchy waitress. I hope you showed her what an *kitten* you truly can be.
  • ayummymommy01
    ayummymommy01 Posts: 135 Member
    Options

lol, I drove a minivan (Sienna) til this October...a mommy-mobile...now all the kids are big enough we got the GMC Acadia...yes people definitely treat me differently. I think they are intimidated and jealous though so I don't let it get to me ;)
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    I'm not a car person. It's transportation to me. Needs to be efficient and inexpensive to maintain.

I suppose people that see me driving around in my 1999 Ford Contour must think I am poor. Perfect.
  • StrengthIsBeautiful
    Options
    I don't think I've been...but honestly, based on personal experience, I think people who drive Hummers are a-holes! (sorry if that's what you've got!).

Edit: just to add..I live in the Detroit area, and people can be PSYCHOTIC if you drive anything from a Japanese maker. We have a Toyota Tundra (which incidentally has the highest percentage of American made parts in the full size pickup class), but that won't stop the UAW nut jobs from yelling at you!

I lived in a steel mill town for a while and can relate to this. When the steel mill would go on strike, most of the foriegn cars parked in bar and tavern parking lots were vandalised. American cars were not touched.
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    I'm a lame soccer mom.
    Super basic (read: cheap CD player, no iPod since that is for jogging therefore I rock a cheap mp3 attached with a cord, no cool sound system, automatic nothing beside steering, no DVD player, etc) 2003 Ford Windstar, that has the little stick figure family on the back, beside the broken back wiper (um, i don't need the back window clean more than I need the $150 to fix it). The only cool part about my van is the small pink boobs that say "got milk?" on the upper right hand back window.
  • sharonsjones
    sharonsjones Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    People treat me differently since I got a Jaguar about 6 months ago. Its rediculous, the car is an 04 so its old and we paid less than 20 for it. We paid more for our Dodge pickup and nobody treated differently when we got it. Some people are just jealous I guess when you dirve a car that was expensive, or so they think was expensive.
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    Lifted truck, they automatically assume I'm compensating for something.
  • BuffyEat2Live
    BuffyEat2Live Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I have a 2000 Mitsubishi Mirage with a dented fender.

Let the judgment begin!
  • Begood03
    Begood03 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    I have thought about this before, because my everyday ride is pretty rough. However my others are very nice rides, so I have 2 cars, and 2 trucks, and 1 motorcycle. Which one should I be judged on?
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I lived in a steel mill town for a while and can relate to this. When the steel mill would go on strike, most of the foriegn cars parked in bar and tavern parking lots were vandalised. American cars were not touched.
    The worst part though..once you break it down, there is no such thing as an "American car" anymore....but people are really hostile about this (these same people go out and buy Sony electronics, and Nikon cameras, but they'll tell YOU that your car purchase is causing them to lose jobs).
  • sarahgilmore
    sarahgilmore Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    We bought a Honday Odyssey.
    laaaaaaaaaame, but it needed to fit bikes inside, and this does!

Funny thing is it looks like a dum Mumsy car, but it's a V6, when most cars around here are poxy 4-cylinder things, and I just LOVE LOVE LOVE the looks of surprise from the little dweebs trying to pass me at lights etc in their boyracer things, when I put my foot down and leave them behind.

Yes. Yes, you just got taken down by a people mover.