Prejudged because of car?!?

Options

Replies

• annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I doubt it was just the car, probably a combination of the car and a hott body =]
    this definitely!
  • aa1440
    aa1440 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I own a quad cab, 4x4, Dodge Ram and I live in the south. Can you imagine the looks I get? A black man in a big truck. And I don't have tinted windows. I want people to see me in my truck.
  • ljholmann
    Options
    Lifted truck, they automatically assume I'm compensating for something.

:laugh: I drive a lifted truck, I wonder what people think that I am compensating for????
  • AmyW125
    AmyW125 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've been...but honestly, based on personal experience, I think people who drive Hummers are a-holes! (sorry if that's what you've got!).
    .............................................................:huh:
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    That waitress had it all wrong... tsk tsk... :noway:

I drive a 2003 Grand AM. There's a crack on the windshield that's been there for a couple years and I love watching it spread like a web. What does this say about me... I don't really give a **** what I drive as long as it gets me to point B safely. I'd rather have spending money than a friggin' car loan anyday. This way I can buy all the expensive foods and supplements I want... YayAhhhhhh!

The only vehicles I discriminate are VANS! UGH! I hate them! Especially those conversion vans so popular with the "Latino" community! They should be extinct! & I don't need to know what part of MEXICO you're from! I can tell by looking at you if you're from MICHOACAN OR FRIGGIN' DURANGO or if you sell drugs because you got a giant NIKE SWOOSH on the back! and those little family stickies... eh, I'll stop right there.
  • flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    - "So, how big of a prick are you?"
    - "Wanna find out [implied: how big my prick is]? Just follow me to my car, I have very comfy back seats..."

I would probably have answered something along those lines... It's a win/win: confused look on her face if she was trying to insult you (because she would probably not get the joke), and if she was trying to hit on you then she will see this as a positive flag.
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I have a BMW too but don't notice anyone treating me differently. The hood is peeling (bad repair paint job) so the body is not in mint condition but I didn't buy it for people to look at it, I bought it because of the way it drives... and have otherwise kept up all maintenance and then some. It's an 03. I'm going to drive it till it dies. Still runs like a dream.

I don't pay much attention to what other people are driving - I only notice if some part is hanging off, it looks like it was in an accident, or looks like they're using it for a trash can.

To the girl who had their car kicked in Boston - yes she probably would have mouthed off and kicked the car regardless of what it was. And it was probably either a tourist or a drunk on the way to the game. Tourists (not all I know) in town always seem to ignore the walk/don't walk lights - they cross in hoards at a snails pace not caring or even looking. I wish the Boston PD would start handing out J walking tickets.
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options

That being said - I wish people who drive larger vehicles (trucks, hummers, suvs) would stop being such *kitten* to people in little cars. Regardless of the size of your car, my car is still there and riding my *kitten* won't make me or my small car go any faster. As a matter a fact, I'm gonna slow down if you try and bully me.

I drive a truck and I can say its you people in the little cars that do worse... I consistently get cut off in the middle of traffic by smaller cars because I am not going fast enough for them, I have actually been run off the road 3 times by smaller cars changing lanes into me so I don't actually think its just people driving larger vehicles that are douche canoes I honestly think that its just people in general. I do get where you are coming from and I would slow down too, in fact when I notice someone tailgating me I do slow down.
  • tuneses
    tuneses Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    My husband is a car guy and when I drive the older cars like the 67 Coronet guys assume I know stuff about cars. All I know is that I have to put gas in it and tell my husband when it makes funny sounds. Lol
  • JennC831
    JennC831 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    My husband and I are in the market for a new car.. We've been looking into the Acura MDX, Lincoln MKX, and the Range Rover Evoque; and I already know if we go with the Range Rover Evoque we'll be prejudged... LOL.. Just b/c of the name... But you know what, we both work hard and if it’s what we want then by all means we're going to go for it!!!

We'll shake them haters off!! LOL..
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options

That being said - I wish people who drive larger vehicles (trucks, hummers, suvs) would stop being such *kitten* to people in little cars. Regardless of the size of your car, my car is still there and riding my *kitten* won't make me or my small car go any faster. As a matter a fact, I'm gonna slow down if you try and bully me.

I drive a truck and I can say its you people in the little cars that do worse... I consistently get cut off in the middle of traffic by smaller cars because I am not going fast enough for them, I have actually been run off the road 3 times by smaller cars changing lanes into me so I don't actually think its just people driving larger vehicles that are douche canoes I honestly think that its just people in general. I do get where you are coming from and I would slow down too, in fact when I notice someone tailgating me I do slow down.

Hey, you two.

Pssst.

Get out of the left lane.

Thank you.
  • ZeroTX
    ZeroTX Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    No hummer for me, if I ever did purchase one, it would be a military spec, not a pavement pounder like the ones seen on highways and streets, and never used off road.

I drive a BMW, but when I had an Acura nobody ever made rude comments. Also, an old friend of mine seen me at the gas station and I stepped out my car he said "Look at you, all sketchy now"!

In my region, a sketchy person is a superficial, all about them self type of person. I think I'm fairly considerate and go out of my way to help others whenever I can.

And no, I didn't report her comment to the manager, and I still gave her a great tip, hopefully that changes her perspective a bit.

I think it's just that some people *do* buy BMW's for the image factor, while others, perhaps yourself, bought it because it's fun to drive and/or luxurious. On the other hand, the majority of BMW's on the road (3-series) are no more expensive than a loaded mini-van (check out the prices on those, you might be shocked), full-size SUV (even a Chevy or Ford can run in the 40k's), and have you seen the price of 4x4 diesel pick-up trucks? Mortgage-sized.

For me, I think what's more telling about a person is how they care for their car(s). Just because your car may be older or high miles doesn't mean you should neglect washing it for 6 years in a row and drive on bald tires with 3 burnt-out light bulbs and no brakes... have some respect for others at least by keeping it maintained! I'm equally annoyed by people who clearly have a new-ish model car, but they have dents and body damage on 3 or 4 sides of it and seemingly no interest in fixing it.... Who pays 20k+ for a new model automobile only to just ignore it when they (usually due to their crappy driving skills) smash it up? If you're just gonna be like that, buy a beater, rather than signing a 6 year note on something you can't afford. <off soap box>

Myself, I have two relatively inexpensive and not new cars... I despite car payments more than just about anything. A 7 year old small pick-up truck (Chevy Colorado) and a 10 year old Mustang for weekend driving. I try to keep them reasonably clean and maintained. I drive the truck 110+ miles every day to work.

So... it's fine to be a BMW driver, but if you drive it or bought it BECAUSE it says "BMW" on it, then maybe the waitress was right. :P
  • ZeroTX
    ZeroTX Posts: 179 Member
    Options

Hey, you two.

Pssst.

Thank you.

AGREED! Slower traffic keep right. If I have to pass you on the right after giving you plenty of opportunity to move, you've broken the law AND been incredibly rude. Hint: If more than one vehicle drives by you on the right, you're going too slow to be in that lane. It's for passing.

This has been a public service announcement :)
  • HMD7703
    HMD7703 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    [AGREED! Slower traffic keep right. If I have to pass you on the right after giving you plenty of opportunity to move, you've broken the law AND been incredibly rude. Hint: If more than one vehicle drives by you on the right, you're going too slow to be in that lane. It's for passing.

This has been a public service announcement :)

^^ This!!
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options

Hey, you two.

Pssst.

Thank you.

What if I am driving as fast as the other traffic in the left lane and some douche is driving just a bit faster than me... I don't see the point in driving in the right lane ... fact is this.. if I am driving 100km in a 90km zone I am already 10km/hr over the speed limit there is no need to drive 120km/hr in a 90km/hr zone... so no I will not drive in the right lane, because if I drive in the right lane I am going to run the guy over that is driving speed limit.. some people need to just slow the eff down...
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options

Hey, you two.

Pssst.

Thank you.

What if I am driving as fast as the other traffic in the left lane and some douche is driving just a bit faster than me... I don't see the point in driving in the right lane ... fact is this.. if I am driving 100km in a 90km zone I am already 10km/hr over the speed limit there is no need to drive 120km/hr in a 90km/hr zone... so no I will not drive in the right lane, because if I drive in the right lane I am going to run the guy over that is driving speed limit.. some people need to just slow the eff down...

Pull to the right and let him pass, then get back in. Even if it means he will go the same speed because the car that was in front of you is only going 100km/h.

This takes you out of the immediate danger of him nailing you in a rear ender.
  • KimmieBrie
    Options

Where I live the left lane is the passing lane - especially on multi-lane highways (3-4 lanes). If you aren't passing move the F over so we can pass you. I've seen people clog up an entire 4 lane highway because all 4 are going the exact same speed and all refuse to move, and I'm no speed demon. You can see for miles in front of them! If I can tell someone is trying to pass, I let them.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I judge people who drive BMWs, and spotless 4x4s around town. In fact I judge anyone who drives a gas guzzler as it seems selfish and necessary and is so bad for the environment.

But I am not rude enough to do it to their faces!
  • KimmieBrie
    Options
    Yeah, I judge people who drive BMWs, and spotless 4x4s around town. In fact I judge anyone who drives a gas guzzler as it seems selfish and necessary and is so bad for the environment.

But I am not rude enough to do it to their faces!

My little BMW is hardly a gas guzzler. Don't be a hater :)
  • giammarcor
    giammarcor Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I'm not a car person. It's transportation to me. Needs to be efficient and inexpensive to maintain.

I suppose people that see me driving around in my 1999 Ford Contour must think I am poor. Perfect.

Agreed.