Prejudged because of car?!?

Options

Replies

• maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Hmm, I don't know, what would people think of someone who drives a PT Cruiser?
  • caveats
    caveats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I don't know what it is about BMWs, it always gets a reaction from people. Not so much an Audi or a Lexus or a Mercedes ... but Heaven forbid people see you getting out of a Beemer.

First one I ever drove was my ex-bf's. It was also the first time I've been pulled over by a cop. He actually started his lecture with line about how "a girl driving a nice car like this should be more careful", blah blah blah. I almost cried not because I was getting lectured, but because I was thinking about how my insurance premium was going to go up. :laugh: He wound up letting me off with a warning (I swear I wasn't angling for it though). I noticed that I was getting a LOT more looks from guys when I was running errands in it (it was either the BMW or the riding britches ... :tongue:).

These things didn't happen when I was dating a guy with an Audi. The Audi never drew a second look when we got out of that car. I've "dated" a variety of cars since with no memorable reactions.

Last summer, I drove my bf's dad's BMW convertible from Fairfax, Va., to one of the Delmarva beaches (can't remember the name -- price of getting old :laugh:). Wouldn't you know it, but I got The Look again -- people watching us get out of the car, servers being either super-attentive or super-wary. People, it's just a car. What I drive doesn't dictate my personality. Otherwise, I wouldn't be truckin' around in an Altima in the middle of a UT winter. :tongue:
  • ashleighjoy2007
    ashleighjoy2007 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I doubt it was just the car, probably a combination of the car and a hott body =]
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    Yup!
    I drive an audi and I actually had a guy ask me if my boyfriend was a drug dealer. Sexist, racist and judgemental all rolled up into one.
  • Laura_Ivy
    Laura_Ivy Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    Well in that case I must be a broke down hood rat because I drive a clunker!

'91 Honda Civic with a crack in the bottom of my windshield and oxygenated paint on my hood ;)

I have definitely judged a mercedes/bmw driver as shallow but I'm sure I've been looked at like I'm a low life welfare mom driving the car that I drive!

Who gives a damn what others think...just keep being the best person you can be. That's really all that matters!
  • judykritikos
    Options
    Sort of interesting that she'd actually SAY the word prick. Does that make me old - or REALLY old? Was she laughing when she said it? If so - then I'd let it go. Either way, probably let it go anyway. Not a hill worth dying over. I'm female and drive a toyota pickup with all my pro-gun stickers on it. Funny - no one seems to mess with me or flip me off. I must be a really good driver. ha
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Yup!
    I drive an audi and I actually had a guy ask me if my boyfriend was a drug dealer. Sexist, racist and judgemental all rolled up into one.

Wow, that's uber wrong on so many IeveIs! Sorry you had to experience that
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    I hope you didnt leave a tip
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Up until recently, I drove a 1994 Honda Accord 5-speed manual with both back window cranks broken and 275,000 miles on it. I hope no one judges me by my car! (I did love that car though).

To the OP: You should have told her manager. That is a very rude comment to make no matter who you are especially if she's in a service job.
  • kenzietea
    kenzietea Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I have to admit, when my fiance picked me up for our first date, I prejudged him by his car as well. I thought he was a rich, shallow, a-hole. After getting to know him better, I no longer judge people by their vehicles. I certainly wouldn't want someone judging me for my car... its a 1997 acura with a broken trunk! But I must say I am pretty attached to that car because I taught myself how to drive a stick with it!
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Options
    I have to admit, when my fiance picked me up for our first date, I prejudged him by his car as well. I thought he was a rich, shallow, a-hole. After getting to know him better, I no longer judge people by their vehicles. I certainly wouldn't want someone judging me for my car... its a 1997 acura with a broken trunk! But I must say I am pretty attached to that car because I taught myself how to drive a stick with it!

I Ioved my acura, put down aImost 300k miIes in mine, aIso my first ManuaI tranny vehicIe
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Options
    I hope you didnt leave a tip

I Ieft 20% as usuaI, I've worked in restaurant industry so I know how tough their jobs are
  • pmich08
    pmich08 Posts: 193
    Options
    Were you wearing an Ed Hardy shirt at the time?
    If so, her comment was totally justifiable.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Options
    Were you wearing an Ed Hardy shirt at the time?
    If so, her comment was totally justifiable.

Haha, no Jersey Shore attire here IoI
  • kenzietea
    Options
    As long as there aren't any testicles hanging from it, you're good.

OMG.. I hate those damn things!!

Ditto

If you have balls hanging from your car, I will judge you. Only exception.
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    Yup!

Wow, that's uber wrong on so many IeveIs! Sorry you had to experience that
    I admit it was karmic retribution in this case. A few years ago I was sitting in IHOP with a friend and there was a Hummer in the parking lot. She asked me who I though it belonged to. I said 'I don't know - just look for the guy with the smalled penis'. The couple next to us clearly heard and I felt bad because I actually said the word d!@# - not penis. Of course they get up and walk straight out to the Hummer. I felt like a *kitten*. Especially since my buddy fell out of her seat laughing at me.
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    Up until recently, I drove a 1994 Honda Accord 5-speed manual with both back window cranks broken and 275,000 miles on it. I hope no one judges me by my car! (I did love that car though).

To the OP: You should have told her manager. That is a very rude comment to make no matter who you are especially if she's in a service job.

I had a 95 Accord 5 spd. Back doors couldn't be opened from the inside, drivers door handle on the inside was broken, window had to be pulled up, no ac, paint was all faded, seats cracked with foam coming out, floor pan had a crack in it so when it rained water came through it, window tint was faded cracked peeling off. It has a killer stereo in it and it ran like a champ! i rocked that car for years, was a great commuter car except for no ac in the So. Cal. heat.
  • reeldancer
    reeldancer Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    As a general statement, in my business I see a lot of personal financial information and just because you drive it does not mean you own it or can even really afford it.
    Subtle items are really the key though. Shoes, briefcases, watch. Any prick can go out and buy a car for the name, but it takes atleast some style to pick out shoes.

100% true. Especially shoes.

OP I assume you must work hard to have the car and while I do think her comment was out of line I applaud you for not speaking to her manager and potentially costing her the job. Hopefully she will grow up.

BTW I drive a QX56. Please don't judge me tho. I needed something with 4 wheel drive ... Limited choices for a girlie girl.
  • Yakisoba
    Yakisoba Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    No tip for her and I believe in ALWAYS tipping.
  • kenzietea
    Options

I Ioved my acura, put down aImost 300k miIes in mine, aIso my first ManuaI tranny vehicIe

Mines at 150k, and still working wonderfully! I must say, I think its acura from here on out. They seem virtually indestructible. Although I really love my fiance's z4, its so much fun to drive.