Prejudged because of car?!?

Options

Replies

• TankGirl71
    TankGirl71 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I don't judge or hate anyone for what they drive. I get more aggravated with the WAY people drive, and jerks exist in every income bracket. I'm just puzzled why so many people try to identify themselves with a certain brand. It's metal and rubber and electrical wires. It is not who you are.
    I remember the rant from Fight Club....."You're not your job. You're not how much money you have in the bank. You're not the car you drive. You're not the contents of your wallet. You're not your f*cking khakis. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of the world. "
    For the record, I drive a six year old Hyundai. It runs like a champ and gets me where I need to go.
    I would've left the waitress a nickel for a tip. She probably thought she was being clever like in "Two Broke Girls."
  • sonyapowell
    sonyapowell Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    that is mean, mean people suck.

consider the source.

i am from Indiana not so diff from MI or PA in the American made arena. btw new balance shoes are the only American made shoes now. lots of folks out east lost jobs thanks to out sourcing. we get judged by lots of stuff, cars and shoes and body shape. some folks are so miserable with themselves they can't hold back a chance to take a jab @ others. They do not know or care where you came from. How we react to that is up to us but we will be remebered weather we prove right the assumption of dispell the prejudice.
  • JoyousRen
    JoyousRen Posts: 3,823 Member
    Options
    I drive a 2002 Saturn I bought used, have paid off, and intend to drive till it's dying breath. In general, I don't judge people based on cars (though I am know to grumble "d@mn {insert type of car here}" while driving) though I get pissed off at people with big *kitten* cars (or trucks) that park in compact spots. When I see people with really nice cars, I just assume they have different financial/social priorities than I do. I would rather keep my older reliable car and spend my money on traveling or doing things than a car payment. Other people may find a nice car to be important to them. We may or may not have much in common but *shrug* it doesn't bother me unless you want/expect me to be impressed.
  • ehsquared
    Options
    I don't think I've been...but honestly, based on personal experience, I think people who drive Hummers are a-holes! (sorry if that's what you've got!).

Edit: just to add..I live in the Detroit area, and people can be PSYCHOTIC if you drive anything from a Japanese maker. We have a Toyota Tundra (which incidentally has the highest percentage of American made parts in the full size pickup class), but that won't stop the UAW nut jobs from yelling at you!

Ummmm uncool btw....I own a Hummer H2 and I am a good driver. I live on the prairies and nothing else makes it through 8 feet of Canadian snow.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    One of my cars is a car from a swedish make that's owned by an american company and built in japan. Worldwide pride, yo?
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options

That being said - I wish people who drive larger vehicles (trucks, hummers, suvs) would stop being such *kitten* to people in little cars. Regardless of the size of your car, my car is still there and riding my *kitten* won't make me or my small car go any faster. As a matter a fact, I'm gonna slow down if you try and bully me.

I drive a truck and I can say its you people in the little cars that do worse... I consistently get cut off in the middle of traffic by smaller cars because I am not going fast enough for them, I have actually been run off the road 3 times by smaller cars changing lanes into me so I don't actually think its just people driving larger vehicles that are douche canoes I honestly think that its just people in general. I do get where you are coming from and I would slow down too, in fact when I notice someone tailgating me I do slow down.

I've always driven small cars and I've never forced anyone off the road. I thought about it, but.. I'm sure the police frown on me doing it -- so I refrain.

I just hate when I look up and there's a big *kitten* grill thisclose to my *kitten* end. Are you trying to save gas? Slip streaming me? Or are you just a douche?
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    that is mean, mean people suck.

consider the source.

i am from Indiana not so diff from MI or PA in the American made arena. btw new balance shoes are the only American made shoes now. lots of folks out east lost jobs thanks to out sourcing. we get judged by lots of stuff, cars and shoes and body shape. some folks are so miserable with themselves they can't hold back a chance to take a jab @ others. They do not know or care where you came from. How we react to that is up to us but we will be remebered weather we prove right the assumption of dispell the prejudice.

Not all New Balance is made in the USA....

Yes, mean people suck.

My car is an 03 - it's older and paid for and bought used.
    My friends X had a new BMW - his MOM (He's in his 30s) leased it for him. He crashed it and now lives on his friends couch.
    I don't assume any financial status based on cars. He's a prefect example!
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options

Hey, you two.

Pssst.

Get out of the left lane.

Thank you.

AGREED! Slower traffic keep right. If I have to pass you on the right after giving you plenty of opportunity to move, you've broken the law AND been incredibly rude. Hint: If more than one vehicle drives by you on the right, you're going too slow to be in that lane. It's for passing.

This has been a public service announcement :)

Excuse me? I only drive in left lane if I am passing someone. I was actually talking about the regular roads and NOT the highway. And my little car can keep up quite nicely in the left lane. The speed limit here is 70, but the average left lane speed is anywhere from 80-90. My car can easily do 80-90. Just because my car is small doesn't mean it can't run with the big dogs (it has an engine too, my friends) and doesn't mean I can't be in the left lane.

There's NO need to place your large grill in my back window when I'm driving down the road. You're being an *kitten* if you do that. I'm not moving just cause you're big.
  • outtanms
    outtanms Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    But back to the OP. It's pretty common for people to prejudge based on your car.

I make house calls to my clients on a regular basis, many times before I ever meet them.
    If I drove a rusted out POS, or a KIA, I would not be portrayed as half as successful as I am, and likely lose out on clients. It's just the way the world is.

On the flip side, you get pretty good at connecting with people based on your portrayal of them by what they pull up in. Not always, but I have gotten pretty good at picking up enough clues by someones car/appearance to know how to converse with them.

Subtle items are really the key though. Shoes, briefcases, watch. Any prick can go out and buy a car for the name, but it takes atleast some style to pick out shoes.

yep yep yep!!! I always look at the watch and the shoes.
  • _Khaleesi_
    _Khaleesi_ Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've been...but honestly, based on personal experience, I think people who drive Hummers are a-holes! (sorry if that's what you've got!).

Edit: just to add..I live in the Detroit area, and people can be PSYCHOTIC if you drive anything from a Japanese maker. We have a Toyota Tundra (which incidentally has the highest percentage of American made parts in the full size pickup class), but that won't stop the UAW nut jobs from yelling at you!

Ummmm uncool btw....I own a Hummer H2 and I am a good driver. I live on the prairies and nothing else makes it through 8 feet of Canadian snow.

Have to call you on that one. I live in rural canadian prairies as well. Lots can get you around. Not just a hummer. I drive a toyota matrix
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    When I see someone with a fancy car...the first thing that comes to mind is how much that payment must suck! Doesn't always apply but anyone can drive a nice car who can't truly afford it.
  • ncahill77
    ncahill77 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I judge people who drive BMWs, and spotless 4x4s around town. In fact I judge anyone who drives a gas guzzler as it seems selfish and necessary and is so bad for the environment.

But I am not rude enough to do it to their faces!

I love my pickup that gets 16 mpg, do i wish it got better, sure, would I get rid of it, no! I love that I can move my own stuff, help friends move, tow trailers, go out to my dads and help him haul irrigation pipe and do a host of other things that a prius would never ever be able to begin to do. I do try to offset the mpg with a car for my wife that gets much better mileage.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    ^ Yep. Diesel...because I tow nothing.
  • ncahill77
    ncahill77 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    But back to the OP. It's pretty common for people to prejudge based on your car.

I make house calls to my clients on a regular basis, many times before I ever meet them.
    If I drove a rusted out POS, or a KIA, I would not be portrayed as half as successful as I am, and likely lose out on clients. It's just the way the world is.

On the flip side, you get pretty good at connecting with people based on your portrayal of them by what they pull up in. Not always, but I have gotten pretty good at picking up enough clues by someones car/appearance to know how to converse with them.

Subtle items are really the key though. Shoes, briefcases, watch. Any prick can go out and buy a car for the name, but it takes atleast some style to pick out shoes.

you would think I am the poorest white trash until you got to the watch, I do like my watches. I spend as little as possible on clothes and shoes that are not used for anything but hanging out or sitting in my office. Now when we get into outdoor hiking/workboots and attire and workout stuff that's where I spend my money. I really can't stand watching people go into a store and drop $80 on a shirt made out of $3 worth of material.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    No point judging me on my shoes....I am vegetarian so am lumped with buying cheap non-leather ones. It doesn't mean I like them, nor that I can't afford good shoes, I don't really like any of my shoes except flip flops, but I have to make do with what is available to me. If I bought leather it would be a different matter.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options

Those UAW nut jobs are also the ones who are killing the auto industry for Michigan. Auto makers are headed straight for non-union states like GA, AL, OH, & KY. They can yell at you from the unemployment line if they like.
    You've got that right...the saddest part is how many of them are tremendously overpaid to do very little. I’ve got nothing against the spirit of unions (and by that, I mean, back when they served a real purpose to protect workers rights), but these days, it just protects the drunk and lazy. Not sure how many people saw the stories in the last year or so about Chrysler workers being caught drinking and smoking pot out in the open on their lunch breaks....but it was big news here for weeks (the "problem solver' reporter who exposed it is lucky he didn't end up like Jimmy Hoffa).
  • JoyousRen
    JoyousRen Posts: 3,823 Member
    Options
    you would think I am the poorest white trash until you got to the watch, I do like my watches. I spend as little as possible on clothes and shoes that are not used for anything but hanging out or sitting in my office. Now when we get into outdoor hiking/workboots and attire and workout stuff that's where I spend my money. I really can't stand watching people go into a store and drop $80 on a shirt made out of $3 worth of material.
    You can tell a lot about what is important to someone by what they spend their disposable income on.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    You can tell a lot about what is important to someone by what they spend their disposable income on.

$2300 on a watch made from $28 in material is much better ;)
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    What in the world?!
  • miss_kisha
    miss_kisha Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I used to judge Neon Drivers, until I got one myself :blushing: It always seemed that the people that didn't want to let me in on the freeway were driving Neons... Anyway, I had so many problems with that dumb Neon that I now understand. Maybe they wouldn't let me in because they were afraid the stupid thing would stop running. Sorry Neon drivers out there!