Prejudged because of car?!?

Options

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I judge people who drive BMWs, and spotless 4x4s around town. In fact I judge anyone who drives a gas guzzler as it seems selfish and necessary and is so bad for the environment.

But I am not rude enough to do it to their faces!

My little BMW is hardly a gas guzzler. Don't be a hater :)

I get that crap too... My "Gas guzzler" does 30mpg highway.
  • angiemartin78
    angiemartin78 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Wow...She has issues SMH
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I drive a Lexus and I AM snotty about it so if anyone wants to judge me so be it. I worked hard for my Lexus and I LOVE it!
  • angiemartin78
    angiemartin78 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I judge people who drive BMWs, and spotless 4x4s around town. In fact I judge anyone who drives a gas guzzler as it seems selfish and necessary and is so bad for the environment.

I drive a 4X4 but it's not spotless and I don't think 23mpg around town is considered a gas guzzler???
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options

I dont' hate BMWs because they are gas guzzlers. I hate gas guzzlers because they are environmentally unfriendly and BMWs because round here only w8nkers drive them. I accept car personalities are probably very different in the states to here in the UK.
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I never have been, or knowingly at least. My first car was older than I was and now I have a 1997 ford taurus, nothing special but it gets me around and I'm not complaining! If I'm being honest, I have to admit that I always find it really annoying when I see so many college kids (when I'm at school obviously) getting out of brand new bmws, mercedes, lexus, etc. It just makes me wonder what kind of parent buys their kids that kind of car...sure some of them might be driving their parents cars, but I'm sure it's not the majority. Where I went to high school, no one drove cars like that, but obviously in a bigger city it's more common I guess. Oh well!
  • jamiehobson
    Options
    I drive a Toyota Corolla. You know the car which blends into the background and no one cares about. Good on 'gas' and I don't care lol.
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    What if I am driving as fast as the other traffic in the left lane and some douche is driving just a bit faster than me... I don't see the point in driving in the right lane ... fact is this.. if I am driving 100km in a 90km zone I am already 10km/hr over the speed limit there is no need to drive 120km/hr in a 90km/hr zone... so no I will not drive in the right lane, because if I drive in the right lane I am going to run the guy over that is driving speed limit.. some people need to just slow the eff down...

Where I live the left lane is the passing lane - especially on multi-lane highways (3-4 lanes). If you aren't passing move the F over so we can pass you. I've seen people clog up an entire 4 lane highway because all 4 are going the exact same speed and all refuse to move, and I'm no speed demon. You can see for miles in front of them! If I can tell someone is trying to pass, I let them.

If we are talking higheays, I always am in the right unless I am passing someone, because the left lane is the passing lane. I am talking on a normal road.. we have 2 lane roads in our city, if I am in the left lane it is because i am in the faster driving lane. There are signs that say "slower traffic keep right" there is no need to drive like a speed demon in the middle of a city.

Also, when I said I was almost run off the road it was by people who lane hop because they get impatient when one lane of traffic is not moving and the other is... I have been cut off more times than I can count by people doing this. Infact on my way into work this morning it was icy and a guy in a tiny little car did this to me.. he almost ended up with my truck in his *kitten* end because had I hit my breaks it would have caused a bigger issue.

I am not going to argue the issue, some people need to slow down.. it doesnt matter if you are driving a big vehicle, or a small car.. common sense should always apply. of course I know common sense is not always so common.
  • fteale
    Options

I drive a 4X4 but it's not spotless and I don't think 23mpg around town is considered a gas guzzler???

Yeah, sorry 23 mpg definitely does count as a gas guzzler!
  • FireInsideMe35
    Options
    having been in the service industry for many years, I feel her comment was completely uncalled for and you should have reported her to her boss. She cant go around making those kinds of comments and get away with them...

as for what car I drive, i have a black 2010 ford focus.
  • HeatherMN
    HeatherMN Posts: 3,821 Member
    Options
    Certain people tend to drive certain types of cars. There are always exceptions, however.

Oh, and the people that get worked up about how much gas someone else's car uses is annoying. If they're paying for the fuel and upkeep, what does it matter? There are things out there causing more pollution than people who drive SUVs and trucks; most of which drive them because their lifestyle calls for it....pulling horse trailers, construction work, large families, etc. Not everyone can afford to upgrade their vehicle to meet someone else's standards of acceptable fuel economy.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options

Yeah, sorry 23 mpg definitely does count as a gas guzzler!

23mpg city is certainly no economy car, but it's far from a gas guzzler.

I believe 22mpg (combined) is a gas guzzler. which ends up being more like 16-17 town mpg.
  • Faintgreeneyes
    Faintgreeneyes Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I was judged on my car back in high school- went to a wealthy private school and drove around in a beat up Mercury Sable.. needless to say kids could be mean.

I don't judge people by their cars. Just because you drive a BMW doesn't mean your a prick or even rich...

The only time I ever made a comment to someone concerning their car, was a guy in a bar who would not shut up about his BMW- telling me how awesome he was, and how much money he had, how status is everything..(during one of the convos he slipped and mentioned it was a 3 series, lower model, which unless your into cars somewhat, you wouldn't know what that meant)- finally at the end of the night I turned around and said "have a nice time driving your sh*tty base modle 3 series home" he turned a sheet of white and left. Was it a little mean sure, but don't sit around telling me how great you are because of your car.

So shame on her for juding you based on your car- people should be based on their character alone and not what they drive.
  • Iam918
    Iam918 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I drive a '92 accord and get judged for it all the time; a great bit of it coming from women. It's a blessing in disguise imo, as those are the ones I don't want anyways.

I drive it as it's paid for, reliable and good on gas. My $ goes into my hobbies such as my bike which, btw, is worth more than my car LoL. Just the way I like it.
  • MisterDubs303
    MisterDubs303 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Knocked the mirrors off my '96 Jeep while 4-wheelin', a year ago, and this is how I keep one of them on.
    Yep, that's a putty knife, some Chapstick, and a Power Bar wrapper (to keep the cold out).
    Commence judging!
    JeepMirror.jpg
  • _Johanna_
    _Johanna_ Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    No hummer for me, if I ever did purchase one, it would be a military spec, not a pavement pounder like the ones seen on highways and streets, and never used off road.

I drive a BMW, but when I had an Acura nobody ever made rude comments. Also, an old friend of mine seen me at the gas station and I stepped out my car he said "Look at you, all sketchy now"!

In my region, a sketchy person is a superficial, all about them self type of person. I think I'm fairly considerate and go out of my way to help others whenever I can.

And no, I didn't report her comment to the manager, and I still gave her a great tip, hopefully that changes her perspective a bit.

This is shear wealth envy, nothing more. It is a shame that anyone who has worked hard and has the money/assets to prove it is looked down upon as being a cheater in our society. That is a shame.
  • fteale
    Options
    Certain people tend to drive certain types of cars. There are always exceptions, however.

Oh, and the people that get worked up about how much gas someone else's car uses is annoying. If they're paying for the fuel and upkeep, what does it matter? There are things out there causing more pollution than people who drive SUVs and trucks; most of which drive them because their lifestyle calls for it....pulling horse trailers, construction work, large families, etc. Not everyone can afford to upgrade their vehicle to meet someone else's standards of acceptable fuel economy.

Which is why I said spotless ones around town. Range Rovers are not called "Chelsea tractors" for nothing. Round here a LOT of people drive Volvo XC90s, Range Rovers and Mercedes MLs. None of them would ever take them off road (I have had many conversations with people complaining about being made to park in a field on the school run), they drive them purely for the status, and the fact is, they are polluting the planet the rest of us have to live on for nothing more than their own vanity. It would have been far cheaper for me to get one of those cars. I didn't because I have an environmental conscience.
  • AubreysMommy30
    AubreysMommy30 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I drive a Jeep Liberty and I haven't had many snarky comments that I can recall; however I look at it like this, my little 4x4 can crawl through anything so why should I care what some other jealous douche has to say about it? When they're stuck in the snow or the mud...I'll be sure to honk at them while I drive by..with the 'bird' out the window, of course! However, I have had comments made about my truck, I also have a Ford F150 XLT; which was my winter ride before I bought my Jeep.. but people have accused me of being both a hillbilly and a lesbian... I don't get it. :drinker:
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options

I dont' hate BMWs because they are gas guzzlers. I hate gas guzzlers because they are environmentally unfriendly and BMWs because round here only w8nkers drive them. I accept car personalities are probably very different in the states to here in the UK.

My car is the most fun car I have ever driven hands down - on dry pavement, it hugs the road and I feel in complete control. It's a joy for me to drive. If I had not test driven one, I probably never would have purchased one. In rain and snow it's a horror! Glad I take public transportation now for work! So I think BMW owners are fun :)

Now - my husband has a big gas guzzling Tundra - but you can't hate him there either because that truck has moved us, carried motorcycles and snowmobiles and lots of camping stuff and helped others. It's comfy and great in snow and muddy roads up north. It fits our lifestyle.

You really can't judge someone based strictly on their vehicle. Now if you know them and they are a w*nker then they'd probably be one regardless.
  • livnlite
    livnlite Posts: 520
    Options
    We are all entitled to our opinions. There are times we just have to chalk someones judgemental comments up to .. just plain old 'stupid talk' for a lack of a better term.

For that matter, when someone says something like THAT .. even if it's in 'jest' but it's hurtful or malicious .. you can form an opinion of your own.

Don't sweat the small stuff...and don't leave a tip!