What is your strangest fear?

Replies

• Helice
    Helice Posts: 1,083 Member
    I know a lot of people are afraid of murky water but I am for a specific reason. I am afraid of dead bodies hidden in the murky water. I freak out thinking my toes will brush against the head of someone's skeletonized skull. A couple of times in the last several years when we experienced severe droughts and the lakes dry up they have found people who apparently drove their cars into the water and have been missing for years. So maybe it's not so irrational.

It would make sense that our basic instincts would be to stay away from things like murky water, where we could be attacked or caught in like weeds and potentially drown..
    So fear of murkey waters makes perfect sense, just like fear of heights, or poisonous animals, or caves, etc, etc..
  • tnvolsfan74
    tnvolsfan74 Posts: 83 Member
    I am deathly afraid of clowns, manikans, and animated figures....you know, the waving Santas, the singing things at Chuck E. Cheese, jack in the boxes....anything like that. There is a restaurant where I live that puts up this life-size santa every year that turns and waves. You have to walk past it to go into the dinning area. I scale the opposing wall when walking by just to stay as far away from it as I can! Any kind of figure that moves just freaks me out! Not sure why.
  • Apazman
    Apazman Posts: 494 Member
    I'm afraid of fear, I get scared when I start to get afraid.
  • Moonbyebye
    Moonbyebye Posts: 180 Member
    Windmills! The giant white ones. Terrible.
  • vsmurrow
    vsmurrow Posts: 145
    LOTUS FLOWER SEED PODS. And certain species of coral! Shark gills. Or close up images of skin. I HATE recurring patterns of that nature. Bleeeehhhh!!!!
  • That I'll either die alone with no one else to mourn my passing, or that I'll lose all this weight get in great shape and find out the real reason that is such a palatable fear (being alone), is really because I am an *kitten* or something.
  • Helice
    I am deathly afraid of clowns, manikans, and animated figures....you know, the waving Santas, the singing things at Chuck E. Cheese, jack in the boxes....anything like that. There is a restaurant where I live that puts up this life-size santa every year that turns and waves. You have to walk past it to go into the dinning area. I scale the opposing wall when walking by just to stay as far away from it as I can! Any kind of figure that moves just freaks me out! Not sure why.

ditto!
  • blueyegrl
    blueyegrl Posts: 248 Member
    I have many fears that I guess would be considered "normal", however two that come to mind that I get made fun of the most for are...1. The covers must be tucked in at the end of the bed. I can not have my feet out at all, even if its 100 degrees out, I must have covers over my feet! 2. When I go to bed the closet door must be closed, I get up several times to check it before i go to bed and have even been known to check it in the middle of the night if I get up to pee.
  • wish21
    wish21 Posts: 602 Member
    My fear is pertained to my weightloss: I am scared that even If I workout as hard as I've been ans stick to the plan that even after a year I'll still be the at the same weight and look the same. I feel like all my hardwork is in vain so far, I guess its just hard for me to see me smaller in a year or so. I know my hard work isnt in vain and Ill keep on goin no matter what because I don't want to give up and wonder in next years August "Imagine where I wouldve been if I only would have stuck it out" I never want to hear those words out of my mouth. I know, silly fear but lol thats my fear:ohwell:
  • tnvolsfan74
    tnvolsfan74 Posts: 83 Member
    I'm afraid of fear, I get scared when I start to get afraid.

LOL :laugh:
  • _beachgirl_
    _beachgirl_ Posts: 3,865 Member
    Mustard.
  • wish21
    wish21 Posts: 602 Member
    when the roller coaster starts climbing up a really steep incline and you know the only way down is a huge drop
    the first thing that comes to mind
    "aw **** why am i here?"

HAHA ikr! Its like your thinking what if my feet never touch the ground
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,624 Member
    my friend is afraid of pool drains! and the sound of someone brushing their teeth.... lol
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Thunderstorms, definitely. I mean yeah, lightning can kill you, but how likely is it to, really? Too bad I don't understand statistics when I'm terrified.

I suppose I should add in people, but I don't consider that a strange fear. I bet a person is much more likely to get murdered than struck by lightning.
  • Ever since I found out a year ago that there have been many cougar sightings in Michigan, even in my county, I have been afraid to go for my beloved long walks or runs outside. I live out in the country where many deer roam and I just know they're out there! It's not absolutely debilitating yet, as I can still do it, but something I used to LOVE doing has become an act of extreme difficulty and bravery for me. I hate it! :(

I've also been afraid of bees for as long as I can remember. I have a high pain threshold so it has nothing to do with the pain of getting stung. It's a control thing; I don't like the thought of one chasing me. Don't like dogs running towards me for the same reason.

I agree with someone on the first page. I think completely irrational or unexplainable fears come from past life experiences!
  • Helice
    Thunderstorms, definitely. I mean yeah, lightning can kill you, but how likely is it to, really? Too bad I don't understand statistics when I'm terrified.

I have a few mates that are terrified of thunder, but are completely fine with lightning and the thought of being hit by it..
    I get its a loud, banging noise.. But still, a firework bang is only scary if your afraid of being hit by the like explosion.. and thunder should only be scary if you afraid of being hit by lightning.. So dont understand just the fear of the noise..
    But completely understand the fear of being hit by lightning, has got to hurt!
  • krissagirl0709
    krissagirl0709 Posts: 291 Member
    Earwigs...and Needles.. when I was pregnant the doctor ended up writing in my medical history that I have a needle phobia because it takes forever to get me to get a blood test or whatever
  • Captain_Mal
    Captain_Mal Posts: 946 Member
    Open closet doors at night....not even open a little bit.

Door-Bi-Fold.jpg
  • TCWE
    TCWE Posts: 51 Member
    Showering with the bathroom door unlocked even if Im home alone.
  • vger11
    vger11 Posts: 248
    To be hypnotized...like in the Stir of Echoes movie with Kevin Bacon.

I wouldn't even go see one of those Vegas shows for fear that I would fall under the spell and never come out of a nightmare.