HONEY IS NOT VEGAN!!!

Options
Sick of vegans consuming honey calling them selfs "vegans" Honey is made from bees. Bees might be invertebrates but they are in the ANIMAL kingdom. Just saying.

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    Options
    : Honey bees collect pollen and nectar in the spring when most flowers and plants are in bloom. They use their long, tubelike tongues like straws (called proboscis) to suck the nectar out of the flowers and they store it in their stomachs and carry it to the beehive. While inside the bee's stomach for about half an hour, the nectar mixes with the proteins and enzymes produced by the bees, converting the nectar into honey. The bees then drop the honey into the beeswax comb, which are hexagonal cells made of wax produced by the bees, and repeat the process until the combs are full. To prepare for long-term storage, the bees fan their wings to evaporate and thicken the honey (note: nectar is 80% water and honey is about 14-18% water). When this is done, the bees cap the honeycomb with wax and move on to the next empty comb, starting all over again. So, in a nutshell, the honey we eat is flower nectar that honey bees have collected, regurgitated and dehydrated to enhance its nutritional properties.

I could be argued that honey is made by bees not made from bees.......however many vegans do not eat honey.
  • epona_mus
    epona_mus Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Sick of veg*ns judging other veg*ns. Just sayin'.
  • BlueLikeJazz
    BlueLikeJazz Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    While I certainly see your point, and agree in the logic of it, all these labels of various forms of food-eating kind of drive me nuts, especially when someone is made to feel like they're not in the "cool club" any more because they bend one of the "rules." When I was vegan, I became afraid to tell anyone about it because I'd either get the "ew, why?" reaction or the "oh, well do you eat/use/wear _____? because that has ______ in it which is in some way derived from animals." And I was a total stickler about it, too, spending hours grocery-shopping so I could check labels, using the expensive-*kitten* vegan brands of cosmetics, etc. It got old.

So while you're technically right, I think we could all do a little more worrying about what's being put into our own bodies and less about what others are doing. I applaud anyone who makes any effort whatsoever to consume less animal products, they're doing a good thing.
  • krist3ng
    krist3ng Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Ahh! scary topic name! I feel like I just got yelled at!
  • Jane_dxb
    Options

Could not agree more!
  • risefromruin
    risefromruin Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Well this is a hot debate :)
  • epona_mus
    epona_mus Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    And, if you want to be completely dogmatic in approach, eating a vegan diet qualifies someone as a vegan about as much as eating a kosher diet qualifies someone as Jewish.

So don't eat honey, but eat a non-organic piece of fruit that killed hundreds of insects in its production... um, okay.
  • Bellyroll
    Options
    : Honey bees collect pollen and nectar in the spring when most flowers and plants are in bloom. They use their long, tubelike tongues like straws (called proboscis) to suck the nectar out of the flowers and they store it in their stomachs and carry it to the beehive. While inside the bee's stomach for about half an hour, the nectar mixes with the proteins and enzymes produced by the bees, converting the nectar into honey. The bees then drop the honey into the beeswax comb, which are hexagonal cells made of wax produced by the bees, and repeat the process until the combs are full. To prepare for long-term storage, the bees fan their wings to evaporate and thicken the honey (note: nectar is 80% water and honey is about 14-18% water). When this is done, the bees cap the honeycomb with wax and move on to the next empty comb, starting all over again. So, in a nutshell, the honey we eat is flower nectar that honey bees have collected, regurgitated and dehydrated to enhance its nutritional properties.

I could be argued that honey is made by bees not made from bees.......however many vegans do not eat honey.

So cool thanks for the explanation
  • bens_momma
    Options
    Oh no, so this entire time that I've been eating honey, I've been eating something made from bees?!

Time to boycott honey, just like how orange juice has been boycotted because it contains (shall we say it) /piece of oranges/.

OH THE HUMANITY! :sad:
  • JerseyGirlHeart
    JerseyGirlHeart Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Ya'll make me giggle. I am not a vegan judging other vegans. I eat mostly vegan but I am not putting a label on it. I just find it funny that people who say they are strict vegans still eat honey, in which bees in most cases, are produced for the main production of honey. Like let's say, factory farming...If you are a true vegan, in my opinion, you do not support the cause for anything that has been the product of an animal. Like wearing silk (silkworms) or leather or fur or anything of that matter.
  • JerseyGirlHeart
    Options
    Oh no, so this entire time that I've been eating honey, I've been eating something made from bees?!

Time to boycott honey, just like how orange juice has been boycotted because it contains (shall we say it) /piece of oranges/.

OH THE HUMANITY! :sad:

Man since oranges have feelings too right?
  • JerseyGirlHeart
    Options
    And, if you want to be completely dogmatic in approach, eating a vegan diet qualifies someone as a vegan about as much as eating a kosher diet qualifies someone as Jewish.

So don't eat honey, but eat a non-organic piece of fruit that killed hundreds of insects in its production... um, okay.

I eat organic. Most vegans try to.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I hate how paleo people use the internet and computers... and.... cars and stuff.
  • JerseyGirlHeart
    Options
    While I certainly see your point, and agree in the logic of it, all these labels of various forms of food-eating kind of drive me nuts, especially when someone is made to feel like they're not in the "cool club" any more because they bend one of the "rules." When I was vegan, I became afraid to tell anyone about it because I'd either get the "ew, why?" reaction or the "oh, well do you eat/use/wear _____? because that has ______ in it which is in some way derived from animals." And I was a total stickler about it, too, spending hours grocery-shopping so I could check labels, using the expensive-*kitten* vegan brands of cosmetics, etc. It got old.

So while you're technically right, I think we could all do a little more worrying about what's being put into our own bodies and less about what others are doing. I applaud anyone who makes any effort whatsoever to consume less animal products, they're doing a good thing.

Thank you. I just wanted to bring it up because I got a face palm when a vegan said they still eat honey. It's like a vegetarian saying they still eat fish. The eff?!
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options

THIS

Never a more judgmental group to be found.

- a vegan who quit publicly identifying herself as such because I didn't care for the unrelenting scrutiny and sanctimony.
  • Yakisoba
    Yakisoba Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    They're beegans. Get it?

lololol -_-
  • JerseyGirlHeart
    Options

As much as this is pretty interesting, it would be more valid if honey magically was produced from flowers and it was extracted, and this is obviously not the case. Bees help the production and are being farmed just like many other animals for their by products
  • JerseyGirlHeart
    Options
    I hate how paleo people use the internet and computers... and.... cars and stuff.

Paleo people eat meat ;)
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    I am not a vegan judging other vegans. I eat mostly vegan but...

:noway:
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options

I'm just sick of vegans.
This discussion has been closed.