HONEY IS NOT VEGAN!!!

Options

Replies

• Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Arguing about honey? Seriously?Considering bees are in serious trouble, vegans SHOULD BE SUPPORTING bee keepers, not criticizing them

Good point, I know there is a honey bee crisis, one of my points being we shouldn't be "farming" them for their honey and human consumption, but for population growth to release populations back into the wild, not keeping them in a enclosure their whole life.

Bee keeping is a pretty benign way of helping farmers increase the biodiversity of their farms etc... bees are not in any cage. They could up and leave (aka move) at any time.

Any honey productions I have seen have always been covered. But then again I am not a bee keeping expert.

Oh boy - now I have seen everything....so let's go back to the birds and the bees....

Bees are not being kept captive - they are free to leave the beehive at any time - if they were not able to leave how one earth do you think they are able to find the friggin nectar.....

Bees get nectar from flowers like clovers, dandelions, berry bushes and fruit tree blossoms. They use their long, tubelike tongues like straws to suck the nectar out of the flowers and they store it in their "honey stomachs". Bees actually have two stomachs, their honey stomach which they use like a nectar backpack and their regular stomach. The honey stomach holds almost 70 mg of nectar and when full, it weighs almost as much as the bee does. Honeybees must visit between 100 and 1500 flowers in order to fill their honeystomachs.

The honeybees return to the hive and pass the nectar onto other worker bees.

Bees leave the hives to find nectar - and then return (by free choice to deposit the nectar) ......man if you want to be a "bleeding heart" at least understand the biology before you start going "poor bees!!"
  • Helice
    Helice Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Honey isnt made FROM bees.
    Its made BY bees.
    They take pollen, and convert it in there secret bee way LOL, into honey..
    It is completely vegan.
    Unless ofcourse it takes blood, sweet and tears.. then it may be a little bee lol..
  • lessac
    lessac Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    This whole thing has just turned into one big mess. I think people people are idiots and people think I am an idiot. I really DGAF what anyone really has to say at this point. i just know, if your a so called vegan, you won't eat honey. bottom line. thats how I feel.

If you are a so called zoology major, you know where honey comes from. Bottom line. That's how I feel.
  • Elleinnz
    Options
    i
    you don't need to tell me what i need to see. i am actually educated in the animal sciences, me being a zoology major

Really - and you think bees are being kept captive...... you might have to ask for your money back from which ever university you got that major....
  • JerseyGirlHeart
    JerseyGirlHeart Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Arguing about honey? Seriously?Considering bees are in serious trouble, vegans SHOULD BE SUPPORTING bee keepers, not criticizing them

Good point, I know there is a honey bee crisis, one of my points being we shouldn't be "farming" them for their honey and human consumption, but for population growth to release populations back into the wild, not keeping them in a enclosure their whole life.

Bee keeping is a pretty benign way of helping farmers increase the biodiversity of their farms etc... bees are not in any cage. They could up and leave (aka move) at any time.

Any honey productions I have seen have always been covered. But then again I am not a bee keeping expert.

Oh boy - now I have seen everything....so let's go back to the birds and the bees....

Bees are not being kept captive - they are free to leave the beehive at any time - if they were not able to leave how one earth do you think they are able to find the friggin nectar.....

Bees get nectar from flowers like clovers, dandelions, berry bushes and fruit tree blossoms. They use their long, tubelike tongues like straws to suck the nectar out of the flowers and they store it in their "honey stomachs". Bees actually have two stomachs, their honey stomach which they use like a nectar backpack and their regular stomach. The honey stomach holds almost 70 mg of nectar and when full, it weighs almost as much as the bee does. Honeybees must visit between 100 and 1500 flowers in order to fill their honeystomachs.

The honeybees return to the hive and pass the nectar onto other worker bees.

Bees leave the hives to find nectar - and then return (by free choice to deposit the nectar) ......man if you want to be a "bleeding heart" at least understand the biology before you start going "poor bees!!"

like i said i am not an expert bee keeper. good for the bees! i don't like honey, so i won't contribute to the supply and demand! yay me!
  • JerseyGirlHeart
    Options
    i
    you don't need to tell me what i need to see. i am actually educated in the animal sciences, me being a zoology major

Really - and you think bees are being kept captive...... you might have to ask for your money back from which ever university you got that major....

http://www.vegetus.org/honey/honey.htm
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    I am not a vegan judging other vegans.
    If you are a true vegan . . .

Yeah, you are.
  • JerseyGirlHeart
    Options
    I didn't get a degree in professional bee keeping, ok. I have a general zoology degree, and I know more about animals than most. And yes I will admit, I do not know everything there is to know about damn bees, I just know, honey is not a vegan food. And I am going to stick with that. And if a ever fully commit to being a true vegan, I damn we know I can't consume honey, and that is ok with me since I hate it. So, you all think you have something witty to say, but quite frankly, I don't give a damn. I stick to my beliefs, my opinions, and as much as I am willing to accept other people's opinions, they are never going to make or break me.
  • onefourone
    Options

WOW i did not realized they were enslaved. My god no. I will never look at a bee again in the same way. Those poor things FREE THE BEES !!!!
  • lessac
    Options

Quoting a random vegan site out there is the scientific approach.
  • JerseyGirlHeart
    Options

WOW i did not realized they were enslaved. My god no. I will never look at a bee again in the same way. Those poor things FREE THE BEES !!!!

You really think I get off to bees huh?
  • JerseyGirlHeart
    Options

Quoting a random vegan site out there is the scientific approach.

stfu already. show me your professional bee keeping degree and then you can talk and make a valid point, k.
  • papastu
    papastu Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Sick of veg*ns judging other veg*ns. Just sayin'.

I'm just sick of vegans.
    heh i was telling hubby about this thread, and he said the same thing
  • lessac
    Options
    stfu already. show me your professional bee keeping degree and then you can talk and make a valid point, k.

Easy there queen bee. No need to get hyperventilated over a losing argument. See none of this would have happened if you didn't go out of your way and continue judging people. A little respect goes a long way but you still seem to lack it.
  • Elleinnz
    Options

"Enslaved" - but then from the same article .... "Bees may travel as far as 55,000 miles and visit more than two million flowers to gather enough nectar to make just a pound of honey" (NHB). Bees gather pollen in sacs Click to see a bee with full pollen sacs. and nectar from the flowers. "
  • onefourone
    Options
    OH man love this thread..

popcorn check
    chair check

Lets go
  • lessac
    Options

popcorn check
    chair check

Lets go

I would indulge myself in that popcorn but it's not my typical breakfast treat :happy:
  • ashleymcquown
    Options
    yikes. i now know not to discuss to topics of religion, politics, or veganism. good to know for the next dinner party...
  • Elleinnz
    Options

popcorn check
    chair check

Lets go

duty_calls.jpg
  • JerseyGirlHeart
    Options

Easy there queen bee. No need to get hyperventilated over a losing argument. See none of this would have happened if you didn't go out of your way and continue judging people. A little respect goes a long way but you still seem to lack it.

Oh yes, I am so overworked, lying in bed, warm in my covers. Listen, and I am not losing anything ok. Losing would be me changing my mind over this whole thing, but I am not changing my mind, and I am sticking up to what I believe in. We can argue this till we are blue in the face, and I would say more people believe that honey is not a vegan product. And guess what, I don't need respect for you or anyone else. I have respect for myself, the people I love, and the animals I choose to help on the Earth. I know I don't have respect for most the people on this post, including you. You are also being disrespectful throwing things into my face and arguing with me. Practice what you preach honey, a little yes a long way...
This discussion has been closed.